Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineRadar
Stranger

Re: Why do Atheists feel the need to disprove religion? [Re: Kada]
    #12261286 - 03/24/10 09:33 AM (14 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

Kada said:
Quote:

Radar said:
"Their ignorance is from their upbringing. It doesn't take much to put two and two together and realize that religion makes people less intelligent."

Just silly.

Have you not seen what they are doing in schools. Not teaching evolution. That sure would make me less intelligent. You can't ignore that fact.

Well yes I can - because its not true.

--------------------
We have not even to risk the adventure alone, for the heroes of all time have gone before us — the labyrinth is thoroughly known. We have only to follow the thread of the hero path, and where we had thought to find an abomination, we shall find a god; where we had thought to slay another, we shall slay ourselves; where we had thought to travel outward, we shall come to the center of our own existence. And where we had thought to be alone, we shall be with all the world.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRadar
Stranger

Re: Why do Atheists feel the need to disprove religion? [Re: Radar] * 1
    #12261294 - 03/24/10 09:36 AM (14 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

Radar said:
Quote:

Kada said:
Quote:

Radar said:
"Their ignorance is from their upbringing. It doesn't take much to put two and two together and realize that religion makes people less intelligent."

Just silly.

Have you not seen what they are doing in schools. Not teaching evolution. That sure would make me less intelligent. You can't ignore that fact.

Well yes I can - because its not true.

There are certainly people (mostly in the US, and for some reason Australia) who are very loudly lobbying hard to strip the curriculums of all types of evolutionary theory - but in public schools and obviously colleges they have been almost completely unsuccessful.  Mostly b/c that would involve not teaching geology etc.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #12261308 - 03/24/10 09:39 AM (14 years, 8 days ago)

I went to a Catholic school, and they taught evolution there.

--------------------

OfflineDevlish2
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Loc: The Astral Realm 16,376AD
Re: Why do Atheists feel the need to disprove religion? [Re: Devlish2]
    #12261310 - 03/24/10 09:39 AM (14 years, 8 days ago)

Hate to quote myself here but:

Quote:

Devlish2 said:
It's 2010 people, who needs religion. Make way for inner growth and spirituality.

It's just all so silly. Morales are only useful to the critical thinker.

--------------------
[]
Space is the place

Invisibletrekie
Metal man
Male User Gallery

Loc: Larger cities Flag
Re: Why do Atheists feel the need to disprove religion? [Re: Kada]
    #12261313 - 03/24/10 09:40 AM (14 years, 8 days ago)

I stopped believing in my imaginary friend when I was 8.  Some people are weak and just need that extra comfort of religion. Religion has done more harm then good that's for sure.  I went to a catholic school and all that noise. I can tell you I met some of the worse people in my life there.

Here's a funny video . Hail Satan

--------------------
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Re: Why do Atheists feel the need to disprove religion? [Re: kanglow]
    #12261317 - 03/24/10 09:40 AM (14 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

kanglow said:
That's because of retarded fucking Republican'ts that don't understand the separation of church and state.  Don't blame religion, blame their inability to recognize that this nation was founded on "the separation of church and state."

Next example, please.

how about you show us this constitutionally recognized separation of church and state

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Re: Why do Atheists feel the need to disprove religion? [Re: kanglow]
    #12261339 - 03/24/10 09:46 AM (14 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

kanglow said:
Democrats = Folks that understand that the church does not belong in politics

yet most still use religion in their campaigning and their decision making regarding issues like drugs

OfflineRadar
Stranger

Re: Why do Atheists feel the need to disprove religion? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #12261340 - 03/24/10 09:46 AM (14 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
Quote:

kanglow said:
That's because of retarded fucking Republican'ts that don't understand the separation of church and state.  Don't blame religion, blame their inability to recognize that this nation was founded on "the separation of church and state."

Next example, please.

how about you show us this constitutionally recognized separation of church and state

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Establishment_Clause_of_the_First_Amendment

--------------------
We have not even to risk the adventure alone, for the heroes of all time have gone before us — the labyrinth is thoroughly known. We have only to follow the thread of the hero path, and where we had thought to find an abomination, we shall find a god; where we had thought to slay another, we shall slay ourselves; where we had thought to travel outward, we shall come to the center of our own existence. And where we had thought to be alone, we shall be with all the world.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Re: Why do Atheists feel the need to disprove religion? [Re: Radar]
    #12261351 - 03/24/10 09:49 AM (14 years, 8 days ago)

nope, that doesnt stop religion from getting into politics, only stops
government from endorsing or establishing an official religion, thus, no
separation of church and state

Offlinelearningtofly
Ancient Aliens
Male

Loc: Out of this world
Re: Why do Atheists feel the need to disprove religion? [Re: Devlish2]
    #12261352 - 03/24/10 09:50 AM (14 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

Devlish2 said:
Hate to quote myself here but:

Quote:

Devlish2 said:
It's 2010 people, who needs religion. Make way for inner growth and spirituality.

It's just all so silly. Morales are only useful to the critical thinker.

"I'm not religious but i'm spiritual - I'm not honest but you're interesting"

is all i think of every time i hear that.

--------------------

OfflineKada
Asha'man
Male User Gallery

Loc: Buckeye Flag
Re: Why do Atheists feel the need to disprove religion? [Re: trekie]
    #12261355 - 03/24/10 09:50 AM (14 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

Silversoul said:
There are some atheists who just see no reason to believe in God.  Then there are those who have this invisible monkey on their back called Christianity, and feel the need to shout and abuse others ad nauseam to try and get this damn monkey off their back.  But they never do, because that monkey's a part of them, and they refuse to accept that.

Quote:

trekie said:
I stopped believing in my imaginary friend when I was 8.  Some people are weak and just need that extra comfort of religion. Religion has done more harm then good that's for sure.  I went to a catholic school and all that noise. I can tell you I met some of the worse people in my life there.

Here's a funny video . Hail Satan

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

"To hell with both of you <3" lol

--------------------
~The Cultivators Motherload~

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies.
My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness."-Dalai Lama

Live long and prosper.

OfflineRadar
Stranger

Re: Why do Atheists feel the need to disprove religion? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #12261383 - 03/24/10 09:55 AM (14 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:

I think you need to read it again...it prevents religion from entering into legislation (thats what church vs state refers to) ....there is NOTHING preventing religion from entering politics - but thats not the point. Politics is not legislation.  You can run for office on the "only ass sex with Jesus" platform - you just can't make laws from that platform - those would be unconstitutional.

--------------------

Offlinelearningtofly
Ancient Aliens
Male

Loc: Out of this world
    #12261390 - 03/24/10 09:57 AM (14 years, 8 days ago)

think again buddy.

we don't let them gays get married.

You can write it on paper but it doesn't prevent people from using religion as justification, the only difference is that they don't cite the bible in the legislation.

--------------------

OfflineRadar
Stranger

Re: Why do Atheists feel the need to disprove religion? [Re: learningtofly]
    #12261403 - 03/24/10 10:01 AM (14 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

learningtofly said:
think again buddy.

You can write it on paper but it doesn't prevent people from using religion as justification, the only difference is that they don't cite the bible in the legislation.

So...hmm what is your point??...that it IS illegal/ uncostitutional but people do it anyway????  Well sure.  Welcome to the Shroomery. Welcome to life. 

I think this thread has become off topic.

--------------------

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

#12261407 - 03/24/10 10:01 AM (14 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

Radar said:
Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:

I think you need to read it again...it prevents religion from entering into legislation (thats what church vs state refers to) ....there is NOTHING preventing religion from entering politics - but thats not the point. Politics is not legislation.  You can run for office on the "only ass sex with Jesus" platform - you just can't make laws from that platform - those would be unconstitutional.

if that were the case we wouldnt have half the ridiculous laws that we do

here's from the wiki link:
The establishment clause has generally been interpreted to prohibit 1) the establishment of a national religion by Congress, or 2) the preference of one religion over another.

it's about nothing more than free excercise of beliefs and preventing
the government from promoting a 'state' religion

InvisibleYellowDesertSun
Yellow Desert Sun
Male

Loc: Flag
    #12261415 - 03/24/10 10:03 AM (14 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

Atheism is NOT a "lack" - its a concrete belief - a DOCTRINE  that there is NO God or deity.  Big difference and hense the whole point of this thread.
:facepalm: No one claims it to be a concrete belief, concrete beliefs defy logic, which I most atheist man problem with religion. Defying logic.
Thats the whole definition of the word.  Just look it up. Anywhere. I'm not making this up.
2 a : a disbelief in the existence of deity b : the doctrine that there is no deity

It isn't exactly as I stated, but my point was to say that here are no dogmatic beliefs that an atheist has to inherent to be atheist. Atheist don't even have to believe in evolution, there are atheist that don't. (which is dumb, but...)
I think you are thinking of agnosticism.

I think you don't really know what you are talking about...and are maybe a little but confused by semantics :shrug:

--------------------

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

#12261425 - 03/24/10 10:06 AM (14 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

Radar said:
Quote:

learningtofly said:

So...hmm what is your point??...that it IS illegal/ uncostitutional but people do it anyway????

not legally, it's a civil rights violation based on religion, again
it's religion influencing the laws and decision making in congress, a
lack of separation of church and state

OfflineBreakfast Crew
Cheerios
Male

Re: Why do Atheists feel the need to disprove religion? [Re: YellowDesertSun]
    #12261443 - 03/24/10 10:09 AM (14 years, 8 days ago)

I'm sorry but religion is so ridiculous that I can't imagine why people spend their whole lives frustrating themselves over fictional beings.  They are no better then twilight fans.

Some religions deserve to be made fun of and destroyed such as the hindi's that promote self sacrifice and promised reincarnation. Now that is stupid if you think blowing yourself up will make you a god or cow.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Re: Why do Atheists feel the need to disprove religion? [Re: Breakfast Crew] * 1
    #12261449 - 03/24/10 10:10 AM (14 years, 8 days ago)

so you're of the belief that they shouldnt have the right to believe what they want?
how very fundamentalist of you

OfflineRadar
Stranger

Re: Why do Atheists feel the need to disprove religion? [Re: YellowDesertSun]
    #12261461 - 03/24/10 10:11 AM (14 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

YellowDesertSun said:
Quote:

Atheism is NOT a "lack" - its a concrete belief - a DOCTRINE  that there is NO God or deity.  Big difference and hence the whole point of this thread.
:facepalm: No one claims it to be a concrete belief, concrete beliefs defy logic, which I most atheist man problem with religion. Defying logic.
Thats the whole definition of the word.  Just look it up. Anywhere. I'm not making this up.
2 a : a disbelief in the existence of deity b : the doctrine that there is no deity

It isn't exactly as I stated, but my point was to say that here are no dogmatic beliefs that an atheist has to inherent to be atheist. Atheist don't even have to believe in evolution, there are atheist that don't. (which is dumb, but...)
I think you are thinking of agnosticism.

I think you don't really know what you are talking about...and are maybe a little but confused by semantics :shrug:

I know you are angry and I am sorry - but just run Dogma thru Thesaurus.com or look up the definition on any website.  There is your answer. Run semantics as well.

My answer to the OP "Why do Atheists feel the need to disprove religion" was basically because dogmatic beliefs need to defend themselves. 

And to tell you the truth  - what you should really have called me on was being unoriginal - That atheism is just as dogmatic as any religion is in NO way my own thinking - I mean c'mon  - I threw out a cliche answer - Google alone has 5 million hits under "atheist dogma".  You should have pulled a "Good Will Hunting" on me.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next >  [ show all ]