Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: why every american should have equal access to western medicine [Re: Senor_Doobie]
    #12276709 - 03/26/10 12:48 PM (14 years, 25 days ago)

:rofl2:

You know what was often necessitated by native Amerrican diet?  Starvation along with early death.

Not too many people lose their teeth when they usually die at the age of 30.  There just isn't enough time

Anybody who wants to live like they did here on this continent 1,000 years ago can.  Fucking go for it.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: why every american should have equal access to western medicine [Re: Senor_Doobie]
    #12276719 - 03/26/10 12:49 PM (14 years, 25 days ago)

Ummm.... no. Ask any anthropologist who studies skeletal remains. Or for that matter, anyone who has lived in the Canadian Arctic (as I have).

Phred

--------------------

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Loc: Trump Train
Re: why every american should have equal access to western medicine [Re: Phred]
    #12276773 - 03/26/10 12:58 PM (14 years, 25 days ago)

Not all Indians lived in the Canadian arctic.  They lived all over this beautiful country, and didn't starve to death.  Indian society before our arrival was paradise.  Tribes took what they needed, showed respect for the wildlife, and lived long happy lives.  They didn't go extinct, they got annihilated by a younger, more ignorant society hung up on exploitation and overall bad times.

Your teeth don't go bad if you don't eat a shit ton of refined sugar and meat.  There are also plants that exist in nature that can be chewed to keep smiles white for a lifetime.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Re: why every american should have equal access to western medicine [Re: zappaisgod]
    #12276785 - 03/26/10 01:01 PM (14 years, 25 days ago)

Remember who was on the verge of starving to death at the first Thanksgiving, buddy.

--------------------

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#12276841 - 03/26/10 01:10 PM (14 years, 25 days ago)

Yeah so?  You don't think they had to deal with it often?  What was their average lifespan?  Infant mortality?

Like I said, buddy, any time you want to live like that you can.  Have fun.  I won't stop you.

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #12276937 - 03/26/10 01:25 PM (14 years, 25 days ago)

Quote:

Not all Indians lived in the Canadian arctic.  They lived all over this beautiful country, and didn't starve to death.

They did, however, lose teeth. All the time. Early photos show this, as does anthropological evidence. The reason I mentioned the Canadian Arctic is because - at least when I lived there - the Native Americans there were still consuming a diet much more like that of a few centuries ago than the ones you'd likely find on reservations in Arizona or North Dakota today.

People were getting abscesses and losing and breaking teeth and having them wear out completely and suffering untold agonies from impacted wisdom teeth long before there was any refined sugar or high fructose corn syrup available. Hell, it was not uncommon for people to die from an infected tooth. I swear I am not making this up - this is easily checkable. Not just Native Americans, of course, but Australian Aborigines and ancient Greeks and Egyptians and Romans and Celts and Saxons and Burgunds and Gauls and Mongols and Vikings, too. Look it up.

Phred

--------------------

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Loc: Building 7
Re: why every american should have equal access to western medicine [Re: Phred]
    #12277096 - 03/26/10 01:51 PM (14 years, 25 days ago)

Quote:

Phred said:
Quote:

Not all Indians lived in the Canadian arctic.  They lived all over this beautiful country, and didn't starve to death.

They did, however, lose teeth. All the time. Early photos show this, as does anthropological evidence. The reason I mentioned the Canadian Arctic is because - at least when I lived there - the Native Americans there were still consuming a diet much more like that of a few centuries ago than the ones you'd likely find on reservations in Arizona or North Dakota today.

People were getting abscesses and losing and breaking teeth and having them wear out completely and suffering untold agonies from impacted wisdom teeth long before there was any refined sugar or high fructose corn syrup available. Hell, it was not uncommon for people to die from an infected tooth. I swear I am not making this up - this is easily checkable. Not just Native Americans, of course, but Australian Aborigines and ancient Greeks and Egyptians and Romans and Celts and Saxons and Burgunds and Gauls and Mongols and Vikings, too. Look it up.

Phred

Thankfully The Civilized World Has

Plenty of Fluoride

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Re: why every american should have equal access to western medicine [Re: HippieChick8]
    #12277287 - 03/26/10 02:20 PM (14 years, 25 days ago)

Quote:

HippieChick8 said:
As far as housing is concerned, I think everyone who is willing to work should have housing.

should those that dont wish to work be homeless? I'm all for this plan

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
Re: why every american should have equal access to western medicine [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #12281177 - 03/27/10 03:30 AM (14 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
No, I don't believe that my personal tax dollars pay for everything.  That is, of course, a particularly idiotic straw man.  5% of the population, which I am a member of, pays 50% of the taxes.  Half of the people pay virtually NOTHING!  Nothing.  Zero.  Half of the population, plus, are dependents.  Bums.  Panhandling turds who fail to carry their own weight.

It's not a straw-man, it's just that every time somebody mentions any sort of government program, you always claim that your tax dollars are an important contribution to that program, when in reality, they are a very miniscule contribution--you're not the only rich guy in the US, you know, and there are plenty who are a shit-load more wealthy than you are.

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
Quote:

Poid said:
How in the hell could you possibly figure that zappaisgod's services are necessary?

If someones family grows and he puts an addition on their house, it was necessary to the people who hired him.

None of the shit he builds is necessary--seriously, what the fuck is so goddamn hard to understand about this simple fact, why does it have to be explained over and over to you?

Yes, to a certain extent, shelter is necessary--the types of "shelters" that zappaisgod designs are not necessary in the least; do you know what the term 'superfluous" means? :strokebeard:

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
If there is a problem with a home and he renovates it, it was necessary to the homeowner.

Yes, in order to fix a home, this would be necessary. However, the home (or actually, the mansion) itself is not necessary in order to live.

Why is this concept hard for your brain to take in? :flowstone:

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
Clearly, you need help with your bizarre thought processes if you think you are the arbiter of what is necessary.

Clearly it is your thoughts which are bizarre, seeing as I never once claimed that I am the arbiter of what is necessary--the necessities of life are objective, there cannot be an arbiter for them.

If you can't understand this, then I'm afraid that there is no help for you. :lol:

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
If he pays federal taxes, and if you or anyone in your state has used or benefited from federal tax dollars, you have used some of his money.

A very miniscule portion of his money, like a couple of cents tops.

Again, there are a whole bunch of rich people in the US, (many who are several times as wealthy is zappaisgod), and there are a whole bunch of lower and middle-class people who pay taxes as well.

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: why every american should have equal access to western medicine [Re: Poid]
    #12281375 - 03/27/10 06:07 AM (14 years, 24 days ago)

The fact that you seem to think only you know what is necessary for others reveals much about you.

You claiming it is unnecessary does not make it so.

I weep for you.

Quote:

So you were wrong about that as well. OK.

I hope you do better in life than you're doing in this thread.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineHippieChick8
seeker of justice
Female

Loc: Texas
    #12281661 - 03/27/10 08:44 AM (14 years, 24 days ago)

Poid said:
Quote:

Clearly it is your thoughts which are bizarre, seeing as I never once claimed that I am the arbiter of what is necessary--the necessities of life are objective, there cannot be an arbiter for them.

I was the one that said mansions are not necessary.  I know Zappa realizes this because he stated that he does not live in one.  I guess luvdemshrooms believes mansions are necessary. :laugh:

I do have a tendency to say many material things are not necessary to sustain life.  I'm not saying that people should only have the bare necessities and no extras.  What I don't understand is why rich people (and middle class people in huge debt) have to live in EXTREME EXCESS of what is necessary.  Do people strive to be rich so they can live in extreme excess of others and of what is necessary?  Does that make them feel superior?  The more stuff I can get rid of, and the more I can simplify my life, the better I feel.  I guess I feel sorry for rich people in a way because they need so much.  :confused:

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#12281709 - 03/27/10 09:02 AM (14 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

Poid said:
Quote:

zappaisgod said:
No, I don't believe that my personal tax dollars pay for everything.  That is, of course, a particularly idiotic straw man.  5% of the population, which I am a member of, pays 50% of the taxes.  Half of the people pay virtually NOTHING!  Nothing.  Zero.  Half of the population, plus, are dependents.  Bums.  Panhandling turds who fail to carry their own weight.

It's not a straw-man, it's just that every time somebody mentions any sort of government program, you always claim that your tax dollars are an important contribution to that program, when in reality, they are a very miniscule contribution--you're not the only rich guy in the US, you know, and there are plenty who are a shit-load more wealthy than you are.

No shit.  Once again you sidestep an argument with pointless irrelevancies.  Every time there is another new asinine government program my taxes go up.  Never an increase for the bums, leeches and miscreants who benefit.  I am paying a significant portion of my income in taxes.  Over 50%.  What the fuck do the bums pay?  Nothing.  I pay, the bums don't.  It is as simple as that.
Do I ever say that I am the only one paying for the programs?  No.  In fact, in post after post after post I point out that it is a small percentage of the population that pays, not just me.  You lie.
Quote:

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
Quote:

Poid said:
How in the hell could you possibly figure that zappaisgod's services are necessary?

If someones family grows and he puts an addition on their house, it was necessary to the people who hired him.

None of the shit he builds is necessary--seriously, what the fuck is so goddamn hard to understand about this simple fact, why does it have to be explained over and over to you?

That which is not necessary should not be?  This is, once again, a Poidian irrelevance ploy.  YOU are not necessary.  Get thee gone. 
Quote:

Yes, to a certain extent, shelter is necessary--the types of "shelters" that zappaisgod designs are not necessary in the least; do you know what the term 'superfluous" means? :strokebeard:

I don't design anything, the designers are equally irrelevant.  The only person who matters is the one who writes the check.  YOU are superfluous.  Get thee gone.
Quote:

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
If there is a problem with a home and he renovates it, it was necessary to the homeowner.

Yes, in order to fix a home, this would be necessary. However, the home (or actually, the mansion) itself is not necessary in order to live.

Why is this concept hard for your brain to take in? :flowstone:

More stupid necessity criteria.  Get thee gone.  You are unnecessary.
Quote:

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
Clearly, you need help with your bizarre thought processes if you think you are the arbiter of what is necessary.

Yes, and you are unnecessary.  As is almost everything you have.  Get rid of your computer.  Get rid of your cell phone.  They are unnecessary.  Music is unnecessary.  Art is unnecessary.  Out with it.

My goodness you are arrogant, telling other people what they should and should not have.  What a little fascist you are.  And a hypocrite.
Quote:

If you can't understand this, then I'm afraid that there is no help for you. :lol:

:lol:  indeed.  If you think only the absolute essentials should exist then give up all your possessions.  They are not necessary.  YOU are not necessary.
Quote:

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
If he pays federal taxes, and if you or anyone in your state has used or benefited from federal tax dollars, you have used some of his money.

Again, there are a whole bunch of rich people in the US, (many who are several times as wealthy is zappaisgod), and there are a whole bunch of lower and middle-class people who pay taxes as well.

Yep, so what?  I pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in taxes every year but because I don't pay 100% of all taxes collected I have no business complaining?  Do you have any idea how stupid that is?  Every government handout affects me negatively.  I can't complain about that?  That government entitlement programs create an ever growing class of dependents who rely more and more on my earnings to live, I can't complain about that?  Just because I personally don't pay 100% for all of it?  I'm going to repeat myself.  Just how stupid is that?  Irrelevant Poidian drivel.

Finally, there is the fact that the consumption of unnecessary things provides employment for millions of people.  Most of them, in fact.  If you pared all economic activity down to only that which is absolutely necessary maybe 5% of the population would be employed.

--------------------

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Re: why every american should have equal access to western medicine [Re: zappaisgod]
    #12282821 - 03/27/10 01:04 PM (14 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

Finally, there is the fact that the consumption of unnecessary things provides employment for millions of people.  Most of them, in fact.  If you pared all economic activity down to only that which is absolutely necessary maybe 5% of the population would be employed.

That sounds pretty efficient to me.  But what place does efficiency have in modern consumerism.

If it is true, and I really do doubt your number, that it would only take 5 percent of human work to meet the basic needs of all people, I really don't understand why we aren't moving in that direction.

The fact is that the consumerist economy in which we are currently based, serves to the detriment of those who partake and those who do not.  The cost for the pursuit of material gain for yourself is your humanity, and at the end of the day the items that you collect fail to bring any true satisfaction.  Sill though, like blind rats you continue to horde the world's offerings despite the time lost and stress caused, not just to yourself personally but to the environment and other people as well.

If a social ideal of relieving suffering were replaced with the false promise of happiness through consumerism, I feel that a lot more fulfillment would be reached by all.  With such simple and noble goals, people would have a more harmonious relationship with those around them, and new avenues of human development could be more easily discovered and therefore be better nourished.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: why every american should have equal access to western medicine [Re: Senor_Doobie] * 1
    #12282956 - 03/27/10 01:25 PM (14 years, 24 days ago)

Because nobody wants to live like that.  Not even you.

--------------------

OfflineHippieChick8
seeker of justice
Female

#12283045 - 03/27/10 01:38 PM (14 years, 24 days ago)

zappaisgod said:
Quote:

This is an absurd statement.  The consumption of unnecessary things only keeps most people employed as WAGE SLAVES for greedy corporations and institutions.  Why don't you just state the truth?  The production and consumption of unnecessary shit helps the greedy to become rich and stay rich.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: why every american should have equal access to western medicine [Re: HippieChick8]
    #12283061 - 03/27/10 01:41 PM (14 years, 24 days ago)

Because it is bullshit.  It also employs millons ad millions of people.  I realize that you find work to be an inconvenient intrusion on your preferred lifestyle but most people do not. 

When are you going to get rid of your computer and cell phone and refrigerator and stop making rich people richer, you glorious hypocrite?

--------------------

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

#12284625 - 03/27/10 07:01 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:

I certainly don't want to live like you. I want my work to go toward making the world a better place and in the corporate landscape, this is extremely difficult because by in large most corporations are serving needs they invent by exploiting the insecurities of the consumer.  The whole system is so completely exploitative on every level that it is impossible to find any sense of self-fulfillment in the corporate job market.  The market offers mostly meaningless jobs that serve no real purpose other than making a handful of executives richer.   

In place of fulfillment you receive paper which is used to purchase goods and services.  Excess paper leads to luxurious purchases.  And when you die you are consoled by thoughts like "My tv was pretty big."

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#12284707 - 03/27/10 07:17 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

Senor_Doobie said:
Quote:

zappaisgod said:

I certainly don't want to live like you. I want my work to go toward making the world a better place and in the corporate landscape, this is extremely difficult because by in large most corporations are serving needs they invent by exploiting the insecurities of the consumer.  The whole system is so completely exploitative on every level that it is impossible to find any sense of self-fulfillment in the corporate job market.  The market offers mostly meaningless jobs that serve no real purpose other than making a handful of executives richer.

Corporations have built for YOU:

refigerators
cars
stoves
washing machines
computers
cell phones
bicycles
your house
furniture
your electricity
heat
entertainment
published books
newspapers
I could go on

You don't know anything about how I live.  But I know something about how you live.  As a complete and utterly dishonest hypocrite. 

When I got out of college I made a decision that I didn't want to work for a corporation.  I didn't want to wear a suit and I didn't want to kiss anybody's ass.  And so I never did.  The fact that you think the only path to a comfortable life is through working for a corporation is sad.  And the fact that you continue to avail yourself of all the benefits of the corporate world while whinging about it, enabling it with everything you consume, is just endlessly amusing.  Fucking do without, phony.  Live in a tipi, no electricity, no computer, grow your own food and cook it over a fire.
Quote:

In place of fulfillment you receive paper which is used to purchase goods and services.  Excess paper leads to luxurious purchases.  And when you die you are consoled by thoughts like "My tv was pretty big."

When you die you aren't consoled by any thoughts.  You don't have them.  I'll quote the great Pete Townsend:

"I don't need to be forgiven."

If I take pride in the life I have lived who the fuck are you to say I don't?  At least I have been true to my beliefs.  That is demonstrably not true of you.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #12286405 - 03/28/10 06:48 AM (14 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Quote:

Senor_Doobie said:
Quote:

zappaisgod said:

Corporations have built for YOU:

refigerators
cars
stoves
washing machines
computers
cell phones
bicycles
your house
furniture
your electricity
heat
entertainment
published books
newspapers
I could go on

You don't know anything about how I live.  But I know something about how you live.  As a complete and utterly dishonest hypocrite. 

When I got out of college I made a decision that I didn't want to work for a corporation.  I didn't want to wear a suit and I didn't want to kiss anybody's ass.  And so I never did.  The fact that you think the only path to a comfortable life is through working for a corporation is sad.  And the fact that you continue to avail yourself of all the benefits of the corporate world while whinging about it, enabling it with everything you consume, is just endlessly amusing.  Fucking do without, phony.  Live in a tipi, no electricity, no computer, grow your own food and cook it over a fire.
Quote:

When you die you aren't consoled by any thoughts.  You don't have them.  I'll quote the great Pete Townsend:

"I don't need to be forgiven."

If I take pride in the life I have lived who the fuck are you to say I don't?  At least I have been true to my beliefs.  That is demonstrably not true of you.

:congrats:

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineHippieChick8
seeker of justice
Female

#12286755 - 03/28/10 09:24 AM (14 years, 23 days ago)

zappaisgod said:
Quote:

When I got out of college I made a decision that I didn't want to work for a corporation.  I didn't want to wear a suit and I didn't want to kiss anybody's ass.  And so I never did.

Doesn't this make YOU the hypocrit?  You never even worked for a corporation because you don't like how they are, but yet you expect other people to work for them without complaints?  Did you know that some corporations actually welcome feedback from their employees?  That's the kind of corporation I worked for right out of college but that kind of corporation is becoming rare. 

Quote:

Live in a tipi, no electricity, no computer, grow your own food and cook it over a fire.

You know this is not practical today.  Any job seeker is expected to be reachable by phone, to have an e-mail account, and to apply for jobs online.  Where I live there are waiting lines to get on the computer at the library.

It's really only in the last few years, after I left a government job as a research scientist, that I noticed just how controlling and dominating corporations have become.  My husband had a home and established business here in Texas so it made more sense for me to leave my job than for him to leave his.  It's too late for me and many other people to just start homesteading completely.  But I don't think it's hypocritical to do partial homesteading and grow some of your own food, heat with firewood and buy as few products from corporations as possible.  I think it is fine to buy 2nd hand items.  If I would have known when I was reaching adulthood, just how bad corporations would get by the year 2010, I would have planned my life differently.  But I didn't have a crystal ball.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom