Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinewikedanjel
Cultivator
Female
Loc: in the mountains
Finished Grain jars, having a few questions...
    #1224135 - 01/16/03 04:51 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I finished PCing my BirdSeed jars... I know normaly the cofee filters are supposed to dry fast but mines kinda just stayed wet for a while, plus the middle jar has a black stain on the cofee filter from the gauge? will that effect anything?
I didnt have any problems shaking the jars like I thought I would, can that possibly mean that it is too dry... it looks pretty wet. :tongue:

--------------------
To all you SoCal MMJ Patients, check out our collectives websites for access to awesome genetics and so much more... :smile:
http://cannanetics.com

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleEthnoJimmy
Voyage thegalaxy

Re: Finished Grain jars, having a few questions... [Re: wikedanjel]
    #1224154 - 01/16/03 05:00 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

The stain shouldn't matter. And the coffee filter sometimes takes a little while to dry out.
If you soaked your seed (as you posted before) then the seed has already absorbed water, so won't swell up causing less sticking. If you rinsed it, then all the shit you rinsed probably helped with it not sticking too. Sounds like everythings set to go.

--------------------
Don't walk behind me, I will not lead?
Don't walk in front of me, I will not follow?
Just walk beside me and be a friend.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Finished Grain jars, having a few questions... [Re: wikedanjel]
    #1225620 - 01/17/03 07:27 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

there can be much trepidation your first few tries with grains (as I have recently been discovering). generally a good rule of thumb is to soak the grain for a minimum of 8 hours and a maximum of ~24-36 hours. The grain tends to soak all the water it can without bursting during this period (some people recommend simmering the grains to expedite the process,  I think throwing them in a pot, covering with about 2" water, and waiting till the next day is the method requiring least attention and effort). you don't want bursted grains because they tend to somewhat inhbit rhizomorphic growth and some people claim it can make the jar more susceptible to contams (I find this claim shaky because pretty much any contam is going to win out regardless of bursted grains in my experience). Once they have soaked you will defnitely want to make sure to drain them very well because you don't the water which is not inside the grain (more on this in a bit). Load them into your jars  with your choice of a covering configuration (my method involves a two piece metal lid with a .5" hole in the center of the lid and 1 needle sized hole placed anywhere else. I place 2 tyvek circles cut to fit inside the band: 1 under the lid and 1 above the lid but under the  band.) Persoanlly I PC at 15psi for 70 minutes,  drain the pressure over a 15 minute period and then open the PC get the jars out with a jar lifter (great investment for $4 at http:\\www.kitchenkrafts.com ) and shake the hell out of them to distribute moisture. I place them in the freezer and monitor until they have adeuqately cooled (make sure they are cool to the touch even after shaking but don't forget them and let them freeze as this would more than likely burst the grains). I inject the jars with spores germinated in sugar water through the small hole and immediatley tape the puncture in the top tyvek layer. Now about extra water. I have found with some experimentation, that if your using quart jars that are filled up to where the neck slopes in (i use regular mouth since I also incoulate by transfer (aren't you planning on brf transfer?)  and the smaller mouth statistally is less prone to airborne contaminants) 1cc is both sufficient to get a good inoculation once shaken but will also not be too much water added. It is pretty efficient for a 12cc syringe as well. I incubate at 80-85 with an average temp of 82.9 (just based on logged environmental factors) and inspect and shake the jars roughly every 3 days. This gives the mycelium a good 24hours of recovery and 48 hours of colonization at which point shaking will further aid in colonization.

hope that helps  :smile:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation