Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Voices from the Compost Pile
    #1223132 - 01/16/03 06:52 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Sometimes the P. Cube compost windrows speak. 6T (aka Mycota)  :tongue:

By preparing compost, you are creating an ideal medium for mycelial growth. Basic mushroom compost is made up of wheat straw, horse manure and gypsum (calcium sulfate). There are a variety of optional ingredients that may be added. A brief outline of some materials used in making composts follows:

Straw:
serves as a carbon source (carbohydrate) source wheat - considered the best - contains xylan oat, barley - break down more rapidly than wheat rye - breaks down slower than wheat.

Other Carbohydrate Sources:
Rice straw, molasses, brewer's grains, cottonseed meal (provides the fatty acid - linoleic acid -which is reported to stimulate yields.)

Manures:
nitrogen source, provides organisms essential to composting horse - most commonly used, fresher the better poultry - higher in nitrogen and phosphorous than horse, not so rich in potash (provided in wheat straw), faster and hotter than horse, use dry pig and sheep - must be used before they become sticky - used partly dry

Other Nitrogen Sources:
Blood meal (dried blood), bone meal urea, ammonium sulfate ((NH4)2SO4) Gypsum: calcium sulfate (CaSO4) - essential to mushroom compost preparation - prevents the compost from becoming too "greasy" - by forming an equilibrium matrix with the water, also helps the colloids to flocculate producing a compost with a more granular structure with increased water holding capacity: provides Ca++ ions; a mineral essential to mushroom growth: helps to prevent the loss of nitrogen (from the breakdown of proteins during the act of composting) by chelating the ammonia

Optional Mineral Sources:
Superphosphate; is said to promote vigorous mycelial growth, but an excess may make the beds too acid too soon which depreciate the crop. 14 lbs./ton of compost should be added at the last turn. It should not be used if there are a lot of droppings 9 fresh) in the compost.

Sulfate of potash; used in synthetic composts. the ubiquitous calcium carbonate.

Activators; compost "activators" can be obtained from nursery and garden stores and assures the presence of the organism essential to composting.

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Edited by SixTango (01/16/03 07:06 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineX.O
Fucktard
Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: SixTango]
    #1223138 - 01/16/03 06:55 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------
I'm a huge idiot

OfflineLoop_Theorist
addict
Re: Voices from the Compost Pile [Re: X.O]
    #1223182 - 01/16/03 07:10 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I assume you're joking X.O... 6T knows whats what...

-Loop

--------------------
Pack-tight, midnight, ship it to tha coast.
Some take tha plane, you, you on tha boat,
right beside tha money which right beside tha coke
Passin by tha coastgaurd, right under their nose.

To the US-HEY where anyone can getny, MIA all the way to New Your city, you a twenty now....

OfflinepsilocybinjunkieM
relaxin
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #1223185 - 01/16/03 07:11 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

This is not a Cultivation Topic,damnit. 

It's about compost so i think it's cool!
i like compost  :ooo:

OfflineCurious_George
You want abaloon?

Loc: La La Land
Re: Voices from the Compost Pile [Re: psilocybinjunkie]
    #1223256 - 01/16/03 07:35 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

how feasable would it be to run a small compost indoors?

would the smell make you want to puke, or would it be doable i wonder?

I might just have to try a few experiments!

i think i'd start with a rubbermaid, add peat moss, table scraps ( selective )news papers, but manure is a bit rare at this time of year!

If my dog eats nothing other than dog food,, would it be ok?

cg

--------------------
************************************.>>>>>
Here Johny,, have a joint.. all your friends are doing it!!

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
Re: Voices from the Compost Pile [Re: psilocybinjunkie]
    #1223261 - 01/16/03 07:37 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Dont we CULTIVATE using COMPOST?!?  where should it go? Avanced CULTIVATION>? :wink:

Thanks for the informative post! :grin:

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

OfflinepsilocybinjunkieM
relaxin
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Voices from the Compost Pile [Re: Curious_George]
    #1223262 - 01/16/03 07:37 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

no dog poo.
also composting indoors,not a great idea...

OfflinepsilocybinjunkieM
relaxin
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Voices from the Compost Pile [Re: Azmodeus]
    #1223266 - 01/16/03 07:39 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Dont we CULTIVATE using COMPOST?!?  where should it go? Avanced CULTIVATION>? :wink:

Thanks for the informative post! :grin: 

it's fine where it is...

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Re: Voices from the Compost Pile [Re: Curious_George]
    #1223273 - 01/16/03 07:44 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Forget dog shit.

Best bet is wheat straw, manure (cow & horse), spent brewery grain, vegggie refuse, activator & gypsum. Turned every few days, so air can get to it.

6T  :tongue:

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Voices from the Compost Pile [Re: SixTango]
    #1223303 - 01/16/03 08:37 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

awesome post, 6T

5 shrooms for you :grin:

shirl
xx 

--------------------
buh

InvisibleLTBOOMER
Harpua
Loc: Lietuva
    #1223308 - 01/16/03 08:41 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Wherd you get that tight glass lookin head?

--------------------
NOTICE: THIS POST IS A WORK OF FICTION AND IS FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY

"I wanna remember to remember to forget you forgot me"

Invisibledeanofmean
mycophagous

Loc: PNW
    #1223713 - 01/16/03 11:15 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

this is really shit for a commercial operation .
did you get inspired by that newby who posted about blood/bone meal ?  :crazy: 

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
Re: Voices from the Compost Pile [Re: shirley knott]
    #1223796 - 01/16/03 11:45 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

You're hear, you're here, wowowowoww.  Glad to see you are here, even if it's for a little while.  Take it easy.  And damn that shit looks good,. :grin:

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Invisibleshroomerylurker
lurker
Re: Voices from the Compost Pile *DELETED* [Re: Curious_George] * 1
    #1223890 - 01/16/03 12:48 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Post deleted by shroomerylurker

OfflineX.O
Fucktard
Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: Loop_Theorist]
    #1224112 - 01/16/03 02:41 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------
I'm a huge idiot

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Re: Voices from the Compost Pile [Re: shroomerylurker]
    #1224159 - 01/16/03 03:02 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Psilocybe Cubensis are habitat specific. Meaning, they cannot grow in the wild, unless their habitat provides a suitable environment, along with sufficient natural nutrients. Over the millennia, they have evolved inherent genetic traits best suited for their continuous survival in specific geographic area's they successfully inhabit.

All fungi feed by absorption of nutrients. Because of the huge range of potential nutrient sources, fungi evolved enzymes suitable for the specific environments in which they are generally found. The range of enzymes, though wide in may species, is not sufficient for survival in all environments.

Psilocybe Cubensis excrete a complex array of genetically predetermined enzymes for digestion. The enzymes are present in multiple forms, based on a single inherent genetic sequence, and include a range of isoenzymes, which arise from different inherent genetic sequences.

Simply stated, Psilocybe Cubensis excrete enzymes into the organic material in which their underground mycelia (root) system naturally grow. Those enzymes degrade nutrients there, into simple soluble forms of sugars and amino acids, which are then easily absorbed into the mycelia network. Resulting in them acquiring all essential elements with which to grow fruit bodies, and spores (seed) by which they propagate their species.

It is common knowledge that most strains of Psilocybe Cubensis flourish in select warm moist habitats worldwide, associated where horses, cattle and water buffalo naturally spread bovine type manure. Consequently, Psilocybe Cubensis developed inherent genetic traits, enabling then to excrete specific enzymes best suited to enable them to specifically dissolve, digest and take up nutrients available from bovine type manure, and/or soil enriched with it.

Therefore, Psilocybe Cubensis own inherent genetic traits attest that bovine type manure alone, or soils highly enriched with it, is best suited to their nutrient needs, in the wild.

Taking that fact, one step further. Aged leached dry bovine type manure, when aerobically composted together with a small percent of other select fruits, vegetables, grains and straw provides an even more enriched super nutrient source for cultivation of Psilocybe Cubensis . Moreover, a compost of this type provides an ideal moist subsurface habitat (substrate) that, Psilocybe Cubensis mycelia will colonize faster than any other.

The preparation of mushroom compost is usually done in two stages. The breakdown of raw ingredients begins in Phase I. Phase I is characterized by building the raw ingredients into long rectangular piles approximately 2 m high called "ricks" or "windrows". These stacks are then periodically turned, watered, and formed. This phase is essentially a microbiological process resulting in release of energy and heat.

To favor the development of relatively high temperatures, aerobic conditions are maintained by aerating the compost during repeated mixing or turning. Temperature fluctuations during this phase are paralleled by similar changes in the numbers of thermophilic (heat loving) bacteria. These organisms start to grow rapidly and release energy in the form of heat. Thermogenesis by microorganisms initiates the heating of Phase I and also produces heat in Phase II.

The internal temperature of a compost pile can reach up to 80oC. Traditional Phase I composting lasts from 7 to 14 days depending on the condition of the material at the start and its characteristics at each turn. It is considered complete when the raw ingredients have become pliable and are capable of holding water. The odor of ammonia should be sharp, and the color of the compost is dark-brown in color, indicating caramelization and browning reactions have occurred.

It is primarily the control of the environment that distinguishes Phase II from Phase I. Typically, compost is loaded into wooden trays, which are stacked, and then placed in specially designed rooms where the environmental conditions can be manipulated. Phase II is commonly referred to as peak-heating and may be initiated by steam. Pasteurization is accomplished early in the Phase II operation and is necessary to kill many insects, nematodes, and other pests or pathogens that may be present in the compost.

Pasteurization requires air and compost temperatures of 66oC for a minimum of 2 hours. Once pasteurization is accomplished, cool air is introduced into the Phase II room to assure adequate oxygen, and to help dissipate ammonia. An important function of Phase II microbes that survive the pasteurization process is the conversion of residual ammonia into protein. Because ammonia is lethal to the mushroom mycelium, it must be removed by the end of Phase II.

A stage is reached when the available food supplies for organisms inhabiting the compost become quite limiting, hence their activity decreases. The substrate is now set for spawning, and the substrate is said to be 'selective' for the growth of the mushroom. Once the odor of ammonia is no longer present, Phase II is over and the compost temperature can be dropped to 24oC for the addition of the WBS or any type grain spawn.

6T (aka Mycota)

--------------------

Anonymous

#1224349 - 01/16/03 04:08 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

first, let me say, excellent research

now a question

Quote:

All fungi feed by absorption of nutrients. Because of the huge range of potential nutrient sources, fungi evolved enzymes suitable for the specific environments in which they are generally found. The range of enzymes, though wide in may species, is not sufficient for survival in all environments.

Psilocybe Cubensis excrete a complex array of genetically predetermined enzymes for digestion. The enzymes are present in multiple forms, based on a single inherent genetic sequence, and include a range of isoenzymes, which arise from different inherent genetic sequences.

what substrate do spore vendors tend to use? it seems as though they may have used manure years and years, with many a flush, then we use brf, and may not get as good colonization as we would with manure.
does it matter, when we order genetics from a vendor, if the ancestors were grown on a seperate substrate as we use?

also, it seems your a shit expert, so im gonna throw another question your way. will it help the mycelium if the poo is more airy than normal? maybe if i whipped the substrate after pasteurization, some air bubbles would be trapped. this idea came about when i watch cooking shows, they put the egg whites in a blender, and they come out whipped and airy, and it seems that shit isnt airy enough.

theyre strange thoughts, but im just trying to expand my universe

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Re: Voices from the Compost Pile [Re: Anonymous]
    #1224465 - 01/16/03 04:51 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Q. 1.>>>>>>>"what substrate do spore vendors tend to use?"<<<<<<

Q. 2. >>>>>"will it help the mycelium if the poo is more airy than normal"<<<<<
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
They " tend" to use whatever works, they can get (cheap). That is generaly a dung based bulk substrate. Shitzzzzz....&.......wheat straw......... is cheap.

Myc will colonize an "airy" loam like substrate, faster than a DENSE COMPACTED ONE.

6T

--------------------

OfflinepsilocybinjunkieM
relaxin
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #1224541 - 01/16/03 05:18 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Quote:

I assume you're joking X.O... 6T knows whats what...

No,it didn't say all that at first,it was just a picture,and some little joke.  :laugh: 

you are correct he added all the extra info after so it wouldn't be moved to pic forum. Good move cause before it was there it was off topic but now it's cool :cool:

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
    #1225648 - 01/17/03 05:44 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

this information you have enlightened us with, 6T, reminds me of Stamet's claim that we can revolutionize global waste disposal with the mushroom. the particular point of interest here is
Quote:

this means that with proper genetic resequencing (think Dr. Evil and human cloning and jurassic park turned good, maybe bad though when the mushrooms learn to eat us) we could "build" a mushroom capable of quickly decomposing all sorts of previously slowly degrading materials. I wonder if Stamet's has considered this avenue (I'm all in favor of genetic reseacrh when approached with a wholesome, constructive, attitude) as he seems more bent on a natural "training" of the fungus based on tweaking their diets and selective "breeding". It seems that the fungus's DNA and resulting genes would be a great lesson in genetic engineering.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate