Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePuma
surfing when I can
Male

Loc: BC
Re: how i am currently making my tincture. (also have questions) [Re: jingus]
    #12312631 - 04/01/10 03:13 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

Hey guys, sorry if I'm reviving a thread that's old (are there rules against this?) but this is a fascinating thread although there's a safety note which should have been mentioned a while ago, before the outbreak of any stove-top fires.

The discussion 12 days ago seemed to revolve around saving expensive alcohol by distilling, versus just boiling it off. Of course, anyone capable of distilling shouldn't be complaining about expensive alcohol (just ferment something, distill it, and you've got your everclear). But the safety note which I don't think was mentioned is this: that alcohol vapours are flammable. They may also be heavier than air -- I'm not sure, maybe FF knows -- but certainly they are flammable, so any time you're just "boiling off" alcohol on a stove, especially a gas stove, yikes) it's extremely dangerous because you're creating a highly flammable gas, which goes airborne at 78 degrees Celsius (or 172 degrees F for the Americans in the crowd).

That's why distilling is so much safer. In a contained space, the vapours are condensed back into a liquid and safely deposited into a receiving vessel. Stills are perfectly safe to use as long as set up with care, and you're trained by someone experienced. I have two: a big one that works outside, and a small stove-top one that hooks up to my kitchen sink as a cooling water source.

In fact, I'm charcoal-filtering some "everclear" (to improve its flavour) as I write.

To make the best tincture, you'll want to get 100% pure alcohol. You can do that by "dehydrating" your still's output (which is incredibly cheap, because you ferment yeast and white sugar) by filtering it through zeolite.

Using glassware, as I think DocT suggested is probably the best idea of all, because then you can make sure that your boiler pot doesn't run dry, and you don't end up with a bunch of charred psylocybin crystals on the bottom of the pan!

Anyways, from an avid home distiller to all of you, that's my 2 cents... thanks to all for creating this awesome thread! I'll be making some tincture real soon!!!

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejingus

Loc: Oregon, U.S. Flag
Re: how i am currently making my tincture. (also have questions) [Re: Puma]
    #12313345 - 04/01/10 05:28 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

To make the best tincture, you'll want to get 100% pure alcohol.

http://www.cognitiveliberty.org/shulgin/adsarchive/extraction.htm

^read that article, i'm not so convinced that pure ethanol would be better than 90% ethanol.

other than that, i have no experience with stills etc.  but thanks and good luck

--------------------

OfflinePuma
surfing when I can
Male

Re: how i am currently making my tincture. (also have questions) [Re: jingus]
    #12313758 - 04/01/10 06:36 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

jingus said:
Quote:

To make the best tincture, you'll want to get 100% pure alcohol.

http://www.cognitiveliberty.org/shulgin/adsarchive/extraction.htm

^read that article, i'm not so convinced that pure ethanol would be better than 90% ethanol.

other than that, i have no experience with stills etc.  but thanks and good luck

Interesting, thanks for the link. I guess it depends what you're after. The article is pretty clear that if you're after psilocybin, its best to use the strongest alcohol possible: "And the extraction efficiency is optimum with methanol and almost as good with ethanol. With both, the less water present, the better." Not only does purer ethanol extract psilocybin better (according to Shulgin) but you're not left with a bunch of extra liquid (if you want to condense a litre down to, say, 80 ml, but you're only using 95% alcohol, the final 100 ml after evaporation would be 63% water (50 ml water plus 30 ml ethanol, i.e. alcohol). Due to what Shulgin points out about ethanol being a better medium to extract psilocybin, you would end up with a more potent 100 ml if you used 100% alcohol.

Of course, it would burn the inner mouth more. However, if you wanted the best of both worlds you could always use 100% ethanol to get the most potency (aside from methanol, which is poisonous, so we won't go there) and then just add water (or olive oil or whatever) until it was palatable. That's how a friend of mine does his cannabis tinctures -- he does some with 100% ethanol, some with olive oil (which takes months instead of days) and then mixes then, so they don't burn the mouth.

--------------------

OfflinePuma
surfing when I can
Male

#12313808 - 04/01/10 06:46 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

Hey!!!

This is cool... if what Shulgin says is true (and it must be) then you could make 2 separate extractions using ethanol.

The first: psilocybin, using 100% ethanol (or close to).

The second: take the remaining mushroom matter, and now depleted of psilocybin, but still containing psilocin, and extract the psilocin, using 70% ethanol.

You could end up with 2 extracts, each one containing one of the psychoactive compounds, but not the other!!! Wow.... I'm going to try this.

Here's the key quotation from Shulgin, which comes when he finishes explaining that 100% alcohol is best for extracting psilocybin: "But the numbers with psilocin are strange. With aqueous ethanol, the optimum extraction was with a 70% ethanol concentration, and the extraction efficiency dropped almost to zero when there was no water present."

--------------------

Offlinemasspan
l'eclair
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #12314086 - 04/01/10 07:28 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

sorry to bump/intrude, but pls any thoughts about what to do with this? probably 20g dry in a mason jar sitting in grain for at least 10 days, swirling occassionally. thanks :smile:

--------------------

my mother said, to get things done, you'd better not mess with Major Tom...whose status is the baddest, everytime 'they' bless the apparatus

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals