Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinewhitelight7
Sr.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington Flag
Oyster cardboard grow
    #12205211 - 03/15/10 09:10 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I've grown oysters before on straw via the laundry basket and log method.  However, in my county they only recycle a certain amount per house and we have a shit load of cardboard around here, so I'm thinking of growing some cultures I recently obtained from a local monastery of blue and golden oysters on cardboard using the laundry basket meth.

My question is: Even though it's oysters, does all the ink/shine coating on the cardboard like beer cases, pizza boxes etc. effect the myc. in anyway.

Thanks.

--------------------
Staunch supporter of spontaneous generation:cheers:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedstark
Manifesting Minds
Male User Gallery

Re: Oyster cardboard grow [Re: whitelight7]
    #12205475 - 03/15/10 10:42 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

No. Oyster is so aggressive that it can "eat" plastic :awesome:
Good luck with cardboard grow, make a grow log between :yesnod:

--------------------
What is a mind, if not something to be messed with? What is consciousness, if not a state to be altered?

~I Feel
:mushroom2:
at Home~

OfflineFunjove
Stranger
Re: Oyster cardboard grow [Re: dstark]
    #12206052 - 03/15/10 12:34 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah I'd like to see some fruiting bodies come from carboard. I'm getting tired of all these credit card applications in the mail, so instead of throwing them away I've been saving them and hope to grow some oyster mushrooms from them. I wonder if anyone has had any success doing so. Care to share notes?

--------------------
Ridin' the Mycelial Wave :smile:

...don't watch TV, don't read magazines, don't even listen to NPR. Create your own roadshow.

Offlinefungus_tao
Hah Zah!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Oyster cardboard grow [Re: Funjove]
    #12207077 - 03/15/10 03:27 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

whitelight7 said:

My question is: Even though it's oysters, does all the ink/shine coating on the cardboard like beer cases, pizza boxes etc. effect the myc. in anyway.

Thanks.

Actually, in the US inks are soy based thanks to the EPA. So, the ink is actually an added nutrient. So boxes that have ink on them are like supplemented cardboard :smile: I wouldn't use pizza boxes or anything with greasy food on it.

Quote:

Funjove said:
Yeah I'd like to see some fruiting bodies come from carboard. I'm getting tired of all these credit card applications in the mail, so instead of throwing them away I've been saving them and hope to grow some oyster mushrooms from them. I wonder if anyone has had any success doing so. Care to share notes?

Well, this is a project in the making, but i've been dying to share. My notes on oysters grown on cardboard are here: http://www.redoakmushroom.com/wordpress/

Another member also did a laundry basket cardboard grow in this post.

--------------------
Follow the light
The Light is your guide.

Edited by fungus_tao (03/15/10 04:22 PM)

Offlinewhitelight7
Sr.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington Flag
Re: Oyster cardboard grow [Re: fungus_tao]
    #12207587 - 03/15/10 04:56 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Well the soy thing is nice to know and thanks for those notes fungus.

Dstark, I'll make a log for the grow and post it later on.

--------------------
Staunch supporter of spontaneous generation:cheers:

OfflineFunjove
Stranger
Re: Oyster cardboard grow [Re: fungus_tao]
    #12210222 - 03/16/10 12:05 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

fungus_tao said:
Actually, in the US inks are soy based thanks to the EPA. So, the ink is actually an added nutrient. So boxes that have ink on them are like supplemented cardboard :smile:

That answers another question. I was throwing away our beer cubes because of the ink but if the ink is nutrient for the mycelium (and not lead based) then all the more a reason to recycle it for sustenance. Mushrooms as recyclers rock.

Quote:

fungus_tao said:
Well, this is a project in the making, but i've been dying to share. My notes on oysters grown on cardboard are here: http://www.redoakmushroom.com/wordpress/

That is exceptional! I have all of those supplies (minus the poly-fil - I'm thinking Michael's might have it?) and my oyster spawn is growing at the moment. Once one of the containers fruits I can reuse that as spawn. It just gets better and better. Have you experimented with temperature or do you have a temperature log? Down here in San Diego with the kitchen insulation its been between 60-65 degrees F. The temperature just jumped today so I figure it may speed up the growing process. Any notes?

I'll update you with my experience on different types of growing fuel once it gets going.

Also - I found a local felled tree on which Trametes versicolor is growing healthfully. I'm thinking trying a culture in espresso grounds or on cardboard - any notes on that?

Offlinesuns_for_shadows
Wanderer

Re: Oyster cardboard grow [Re: Funjove]
    #12213733 - 03/16/10 04:10 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I will make cardboard spawn out of oyster stem butts. Just soak the cardboard over night. Peel it apart. stick stem butts in between. Incubate. It will colonize. It will also fruit off it too. I use it to plug logs or just in a mulch bed. Takes no effort. Really. Even cardboard left outside after it rained. Stem butts

Offlinesuns_for_shadows
Wanderer

Re: Oyster cardboard grow [Re: suns_for_shadows]
    #12213753 - 03/16/10 04:13 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Same with T. versicolor. Stem butts. Oyster and Turkey tails are two mushrooms that grow all over the place. They just love to grow

OfflineMikeallojee
Coolaid smile
Male User Gallery

Loc: SW WA
    #12214579 - 03/16/10 06:25 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I did this in ziploc bags with some micro tape for breathing. The bags have had the worst smell coming from them I don't know if it is the cardboard paper mix or if there is something else going on. Is this normal? myc

OfflineOzpulse
Completely Lost!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Black Hole! Flag
Re: Oyster cardboard grow [Re: Mikeallojee]
    #12214730 - 03/16/10 06:49 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Dont have any thing to add but a funny pic.

Toilet shrooms!:laugh2:

--------------------
..Exploring the Wilds!And taking prints!

OfflineFunjove
Stranger
    #12216301 - 03/16/10 11:25 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

suns_for_shadows said:
Same with T. versicolor. Stem butts. Oyster and Turkey tails are two mushrooms that grow all over the place. They just love to grow

That's awesome. I'll pasteurize some cardboard and try out both oyster and T versicolor. I'm afraid my oyster in a can has developed Cobweb mold, and I threw away my other batch as it was rampant with green mold and smelled horrific. I'm gonna let the can grow out and see what comes of it though. I'd love to see T. versicolor grow from cardboard. Yay.

--------------------
Ridin' the Mycelial Wave :smile:

...don't watch TV, don't read magazines, don't even listen to NPR. Create your own roadshow.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract