Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCension
Student
 User Gallery

Very strange contam [PICS]
    #12123072 - 03/01/10 07:42 PM (14 years, 30 days ago)

This is a small sub made from brown rice spawn to coir/coffee/verm/gypsum. It seemed to grow wonderfully at first, but soon started looking like a bowl of meringue or whipped marshmallow. A small dark spot formed and a week later this:

The strain is Cambodian, and these pics were taken 23 days after spawning to the bulk sub.

I've never seen a contam look quite like this before and I am wondering if anyone can identify this and help me determine the cause. It doesn't look quite like any trich that I am aware of. Maybe some of you seasoned growers have an idea?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedstark
Manifesting Minds
Male User Gallery

Re: Very strange contam [PICS] [Re: Cension]
    #12126283 - 03/02/10 08:25 AM (14 years, 30 days ago)

How does it smell?

--------------------
What is a mind, if not something to be messed with? What is consciousness, if not a state to be altered?

~I Feel
:mushroom2:
at Home~

OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE United States Flag
Re: Very strange contam [PICS] [Re: dstark]
    #12127033 - 03/02/10 11:10 AM (14 years, 30 days ago)

Those spots look like aborted and rotting pins. I had this happen before when I did a shoe-box tub with coco coir/vermiculite/gypsum. I did a pretty crude job breaking up the coir and leveling the substrate, so the mycelium had to colonize the "gaps" between the fibers on the surface. The mycelium had to form flesh-like membranes to cover the uneven bits- pins would form underneath the membranes and try to burst through. The bruising was ridiculous.

Always make sure you level your substrate as best as you can.

OfflineCension
Student
 User Gallery

Re: Very strange contam [PICS] [Re: Brennus]
    #12129841 - 03/02/10 07:02 PM (14 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

Always make sure you level your substrate as best as you can.

Hm, I'd never thought of that, although I believe the substrate was fairly well leveled to begin with.

OfflineCension
Student
 User Gallery

#12129845 - 03/02/10 07:03 PM (14 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

How does it smell?

Faintly of myc, that's all.

Offlinewhitelight7
Sr.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington Flag
    #12131623 - 03/02/10 11:13 PM (14 years, 29 days ago)

I had this on a tray a while ago and isolated it on agar by accident when trying to save a piece of myc for growth.  It spreads fast as shit on a plate and when I innoc some pf jars out of curiosity it looked like cobweb in growth but much less grey and it smelled less sweet than cobweb once sterilized in the PC.

--------------------
Staunch supporter of spontaneous generation:cheers:

OfflineCension
Student
 User Gallery

Re: Very strange contam [PICS] [Re: whitelight7]
    #12137629 - 03/03/10 08:25 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

I had this on a tray a while ago and isolated it on agar by accident when trying to save a piece of myc for growth.  It spreads fast as shit on a plate and when I innoc some pf jars out of curiosity it looked like cobweb in growth but much less grey and it smelled less sweet than cobweb once sterilized in the PC.

Is that right? It's so strange, not only was the myc bizarro looking (like foam insultaion), the darkening spread over the course of about a week. The substrate barely has any odor, and what little it has smells healthy. It has 2 pins.

OfflineRazzleCap
Punkass Trippin

Loc: ghetto :(
    #12137667 - 03/03/10 08:29 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

Weird...I had this on my first Cambo grow. Eventually they got the mean green too, but this was fought off by the mystery contam. Ended up smelling faintly of coconut/vanilla, and producing just two shrooms.

Never figured out what it was though.

--------------------
"If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on."

"Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."

Offlineelectrics
wave rider
Male User Gallery

Loc: In front of my Computer
Re: Very strange contam [PICS] [Re: RazzleCap]
    #12196725 - 03/13/10 06:49 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

I know this is 9 days old but I for the first time in all my years experienced this coconut/vanilla smelling contam!! I just opened one of my mixed jars of WBS/Hpoo that appeared fully colonized with healthy mycelium only to experience that sweet Vanilla Coconut smell!! It actually smelled so good like a scented candle I kept smelling it. I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this!! any Ideas??..e

--------------------
"Listen now I'm talking I've been here for weeks, waiting in this growing crowd staring at my feet, The world around me is Turning I'm just standing still, The time has come for changes do something or I will" Phish

InvisibleSomeNewGuy
Sir

Re: Very strange contam [PICS] [Re: electrics]
    #12196916 - 03/13/10 07:37 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

Remember the recent streptomyces? Streptomyces setonii is used to produce vanillin upon additon of ferulic acid. (http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6235507.html)

From Wiki on Ferulic acid:

"Ferulic acid is found in seeds of plants such as in RICE, wheat, and oats, as well as in COFFEE, apple, artichoke, peanut, orange and pineapple. It can be extracted from wheat bran and MAIZE bran using concentrated alkali. Biosynthesis of ferulic acid is by the action of the enzyme O-methyl transferase on caffeic acid. "

(http://www.springerlink.com/index/2KWDQKHG41UA8MDQ.pdf), does it with a Pseudomonas sp.  This is interesting as the wiki mentioned....

"Since the mid 1980s, certain members of the Pseudomonas genus have been applied to cereal seeds or applied directly to soils as a way of preventing the growth or establishment of crop pathogens."

I really have no clue. You probably should stop sniffing it though.

--------------------
Looking for Oyster and Ps. Cyan. Trade. PM me

Offlinewhitelight7
Sr.
Male User Gallery

Re: Very strange contam [PICS] [Re: SomeNewGuy]
    #12209672 - 03/15/10 10:32 PM (14 years, 16 days ago)

Well, I still have this thing in a master slant out of curiosity.  We (I) could play around with it I guess, any ideas?

--------------------

InvisibleSomeNewGuy
Sir

Re: Very strange contam [PICS] [Re: whitelight7]
    #12210281 - 03/16/10 12:13 AM (14 years, 16 days ago)

Plate pic?

--------------------
Looking for Oyster and Ps. Cyan. Trade. PM me

Offlinewhitelight7
Sr.
Male User Gallery

Re: Very strange contam [PICS] [Re: SomeNewGuy]
    #12212286 - 03/16/10 12:10 PM (14 years, 16 days ago)

I don't have any plates of it at the moment, but here's a photo of the culture I kept, didn't even waste a screw top on it.

I just put a small sample on the slant and within a day or two it was taking up the whole tube.  I thought it was just cobweb, but like I said in my previous post, it is very disimilar to that, but maybe it's just a rare strain of cobby :shrug:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds