Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinec0ma
the pimp

And idea and a question...
    #1220127 - 01/15/03 05:19 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

To keep my incubator warm and nice i add a platic bottle with hot water in it every day... and that seems  to do the trick... but the fucking water cools down so fast :frown: so i have this idea... do you know those iceblocks that you put in the portable freezer to keep your beer cold in the summer time? well i found 2 and it looks like it's just blastic with water inside... now i was wondering would it be alright if instead of freezing that thing, i'll boil it and get it very hot and then throw it in my incubator... will it keep the temperatrue better the plastic water bottle? does it have some sorta plastic in it that keeps the temperature from droping too fast?

i thought of this yesterday while i was high so don't blame my stupididity blame weed :laugh:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: And idea and a question... [Re: c0ma]
    #1220138 - 01/15/03 05:23 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

You know man, throwing the boiling water into your incubator can make it wayyy too hot for your jars.... the extremes in temperatures would possibly pose a problem.

You should check out your local pet store. You can buy an inexpensive 100watt aquarium heater for $10-15 USD. Just set that in your jug, and have the temps stay balanced!

Offlinec0ma
the pimp

Re: And idea and a question... [Re: angryshroom]
    #1220156 - 01/15/03 05:31 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

i know i know, IM REALLY short on money right now... celebrated my birthday too early :l but i was gonna put the things on the very top so it could just nicely transform the heat to all the jars...

Offlinec0ma
the pimp

#1220254 - 01/15/03 06:22 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

anyone else? do you guys have any info on those ice cubes, of what they made of? and heating them?

OfflineFanaTEK
Slave to theShroom

Loc: Midwest, US
    #1220258 - 01/15/03 06:23 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Look for the incubator tek with the two sterilite bins and a submersible fish tank heater. The whole setup can cost less than $20 to make, and it very reliable.

FanaTEK

--------------------
Read the FAQ!
Read !

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
Trusted Cultivator
    #1220262 - 01/15/03 06:24 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

If that's the case just have patience the jars will colonize at normal ambient temps.

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

Edited by Ripple1958 (01/15/03 06:26 AM)

Offlinec0ma
the pimp

Re: And idea and a question... [Re: Ripple]
    #1220273 - 01/15/03 06:29 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

yo guys are not answering my question... im not asking about to build an incubator, all im asking... is it safe to heat the jel inside those little "ice cubes" and will it hold the heat as good as it keeps the cold... or alteast give me a proper name for them, so i can do my own research...

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
    #1220635 - 01/15/03 08:20 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

yes, you can buy hand-warmers that will keep their heat for many hours. i had one a few years ago i got for my mum when she had raynauds disease and her hands got cold and painful - there was a little metal clicker thing inside a blue gel in a clear bag - you boiled it in a saucepan for 10 mins (not a microwave as it contains metal) to 'shift' the chemical substance to its 'higher' form, then when it cooled down you took it out with you in your overcoat pocket.

when you wanted to activate it (on the glacier on a skiing holiday, for example) you massaged the little click thing, and a reaction occurred - you could see a wave of crystallisation spreading out from the clicker. it stayed warm for hours. you repeated the boil to reset it. reusable indefinitely.

try searching for handwarmers. try skishops.

good luck :grin:

shirl
xx 

--------------------
buh

Offlinetank
    #1220637 - 01/15/03 08:20 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

you probably can heat them but if they get hot enough to boil they will burst (big mess) so heat them in a pan of water and keep it below boiling, if thats what you want to do. The answer to the other question is no they will not hold the heat as well as they do cold.
this is just to do with latent heat of fussion. it takes a lot of enery to melt the ice before any energy is available to heat the water up. where as when the water is just hot there is no change of state (solid - liquid) so there is less stored energy in the water compared to when they are frozen.

i wouldn't worry about heating, unless it is really cold. try moving them to a different spot, closer to a radiator (not too close!) or friends found that putting the set up at the top of the room, on top of a cupboard, increased the temp by 5 deg C

enjoy the fruits of your labour.  :grin:

excuse the muddled physics lesson! :smirk:   

--------------------
I suffer from a vivid imagination and all that is here is fiction.

Edited by tank (03/02/03 07:46 AM)

OfflineShroomBoarder
screechingweasel fan

#1220697 - 01/15/03 08:39 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

haha this reminded me of when i was like 6, i had one of those ice pack things you speak of, and i went skiing, and i thought that instead of freezing it, it i boiled it it would be warm instead of cold, i put it in a pot of boiling water, within 15 minutes it just exploded, so no, just get a hand warmer from a skishop like someone said in the post before this.

--------------------

"Twizzlers, in the chinesed state...."

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates