Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Mycobags, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineKrayzie
PsychotropicEuphoria

Loc: Garden of Weeden
Question concerning MycoBags
    #1219335 - 01/14/03 09:33 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

My question is this, is it possible to make your own mycobag? For example; sterilize brf or other grain in...a ziplock bag or something, then inoculate the substrate directly through the bag and cover the resulting hole with tape. Has anyone tried this, and will it work? :confused: 

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Loc: in your house :)
Re: Question concerning MycoBags [Re: Krayzie]
    #1219351 - 01/14/03 09:48 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

tried similar with 3n1 and innoculating with brf jar. all 4 tried results got green/trich :frown:

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

OfflineKrayzie
PsychotropicEuphoria

Re: Question concerning MycoBags [Re: socratesmind]
    #1219371 - 01/14/03 09:58 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Ok but what if you didn't colonize with a cake. What if you stuck a myc water syringe directly through the bag...? This would keep the substrate completely closed to any open air contamination.

Offlinevalour
Swordbearer

Loc: USA
    #1219374 - 01/14/03 10:01 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I think part of the problem would be the sterilization of the bag itself.
Also, how would you seal the hole once it was poked with your syringe?

--------------------
"Remember, son,
I didn't sell out-
I bought in."

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

#1219376 - 01/14/03 10:02 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

good luck your going to need it. also i dont think ziplocs are autoclavable so how u gonna sterilize material inside the bag? look into filter patch bags and use the search engine this avenue has been explored many times before.

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

OfflineKrayzie
PsychotropicEuphoria

Re: Question concerning MycoBags [Re: valour]
    #1219391 - 01/14/03 10:15 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

how would you seal the hole once it was poked with your syringe?

Well I was thinking I could cover the hole with a filter disk and tape over it. Tape would prolly be sufficient though.

Your right Ziplock bags are not autoclavable...however, You don't necessarily need a pressure cooker for sterilization. I was thinking of a good way to sterilize a bag such as this by simply boiling.

1.) use the smaller type bags for the substrate.
2.) place the substrate filled small bag into another large bag and fill remaining space with water.
3.)Boil both bags for an hour or so.

that is still open to contams though, but no more than jars, especially if you were to use the easyzip bags. (bags with the zipper)

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

#1219398 - 01/14/03 10:20 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

i reitterate what i said before. read the FAQ's and search in the posts. grains need 250F (pc) and water boils at 212F(boiling) isn't going to cut it. i'm sure you could try the fractional sterilization but i haven't heard anything about the 'validity' of that tek. why not just get a pc and do quart jars? whats wrong with that method? alot easier and fail-safe than this method. although it's good to innovate but just learn the basics before u reach for the stars.

--------------------

OfflineKrayzie
PsychotropicEuphoria

#1219402 - 01/14/03 10:25 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Also if you employed a Fractional Sterilization tek you could more than likely be contaminant free from the start. After that you would only have to worry about contamination after inoculation. Which, can be avoided if the bags themselves were placed in a still-air, contaminant free environment, such as a steril container with a tight fitting lid.

OfflineKrayzie
PsychotropicEuphoria

#1219409 - 01/14/03 10:31 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I am not trying to reach for the stars, But I understand what you mean...I normally just employ the PF tech in 1/2 pint jars and I do a 50/50+ casing after birth. I am just experimental and was just trying to come up with something that wasn't so dependent on jars....well, that and I am baked as hell. :crazy: :grin:

I might try it still though....But thanks for your help Socratesmind :blush:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Mycobags, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation