Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineshoottomaim
Master Baiter

Loc: Imaginationland
Re: First Time Grow Log [Re: shoottomaim]
    #11571774 - 12/02/09 06:38 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Yes, EPIC FAIL, all bags done ended up contaminated. it was a dark black powdery growth that slowly took over the bags, each one of them. One bag tried heroically to fight on, but it too is lost. So, what to take away from this grow. 1. I suck 2. I think that my pressure cooker isn't reaching 15 psi 3. Maybe the kroger brand WBS i was using was unsuitable.
It would be easy now to just give up, but as my dad drunkenly screamed from the little league bleachers. "I didn't raise no quitter!"
So I am going to try again, this time, I am going to add weight to the valve of the pressure cooker, and if it doesn't explode, hopefully i will get the desired pressure. I am also going to try rye berries since WBS didn't work out so well for me. And I am going to try to make some LC because growth from my bags were EXTREMELY slow, and I think this had a major role in  letting contaims eventually take over.
END OF PATHETIC 1st Grow

--------------------
I order the club sandwich all the time, and man, i don't know how I get away with it, I'm not even a member.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMikeallojee
Coolaid smile
Male User Gallery

Loc: SW WA
    #11593029 - 12/05/09 09:12 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

The bird seed how many sunflower seeds were in it? What did you put in the bags for the medium, WBS, hard wood dust and chips? What did you use to seal your bags. I just got some and I don't think that it has any self seal. I read that some use silicone to close the bags, any ideas or where to look for help? How long did you pc your bags. I read someplace that you need to do it for four hours at 15 psi. I just got some bags and want to be successful the first time so any insight would be appreciated. Myk

Offlinejjhitman
The Harley Guy
 User Gallery

Re: First Time Grow Log [Re: Mikeallojee]
    #11593422 - 12/05/09 10:45 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

i tried wbs.  I failed also. Did I mention I am also a noob? lol  Ive been having good luck with the brown rice flower and vermiculite.  I think the wbs needs to have the hydrogen peroxide tech involved. Just use an oven bag with a twist tie.  much cheaper.  If your really worried about it.  use rubbing alchol and a bandaid!  the cakes are best for beginners I think!

--------------------
Put water in a cup, it becomes the cup.  Put water in a tea pot, it becomes the tea pot.  Water can crash or water can flow.  Be water my friend. 

OfflineOareo
Stranger

Re: First Time Grow Log [Re: jjhitman]
    #11593981 - 12/06/09 01:12 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

If you just want some good results, do cakes. It's the noob tek for a reason! My first grow is almost done (3rd flush), and while the yields weren't huge, I certainly got plenty of shrooms and learned a lot.

OfflineGrumpyorc
Ghost

Re: First Time Grow Log [Re: Oareo]
    #11594006 - 12/06/09 01:21 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Oareo said:
If you just want some good results, do cakes. It's the noob tek for a reason! My first grow is almost done (3rd flush), and while the yields weren't huge, I certainly got plenty of shrooms and learned a lot.

:thumbup:

--------------------

Edited by Grumpyorc (12/06/09 01:21 AM)

Offlineshoottomaim
Master Baiter

Re: First Time Grow Log [Re: Mikeallojee]
    #11663412 - 12/16/09 04:47 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

My birdseed did contain a lot of sunflower seeds but I do not think they were the issue as they seemed to colonize as fast or faster than anything else in it. I did not pressure cook for 4 hours :frown: more like 2 maybe that was my issue. So if you are thinking about doing it this way I would try it for 4 hours. But I may have spoke too soon about total failure because I just found a bag I forgot about. It never showed anything for a long time so I just threw it down in the basement. I go down there to grab something the other day and remembered it and took a look and what do you know, nice healthy patches of growth. The temp in the basement was sub 60 degs and when I brought it upstairs 3 days ago growth has really sped up. There is also absoluteness no signs of contaminates. So maybe I got one of these right after all. 1 out 5 is still pretty pathetic but what can you do. Hopefully if this all goes well I am going to do a monotub (luckily this bag was probably my largest maybe 3/4 of a gallon of grain) What I used to close the bags which really worked was industrial zip ties I put them on loosely in the pressure cooker and then as soon as they come out zip them tight. This created a huge vacuum seal that didn't reinflate for days so I would say that the seal wasn't my issue it was lack of length of time pressure cooking and prehaps my cheap ass 35 dollar pressure cooker isn't getting up to 15 psi. I know everyone is always pushing the pf tek for newbies and probably for good reason. But I just can't see committing felonies for a handful of shrooms when I have the time and patience to try until i get a bulk method to work.

--------------------
I order the club sandwich all the time, and man, i don't know how I get away with it, I'm not even a member.

OfflineRansom
Better than most

#11666947 - 12/17/09 08:00 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

keep at it.

And start the timing when the pressure cooker reaches 15 psi. if u can't reach it then what are you using as a heat source? if it is a hot plate that is your problem.

Offlineshoottomaim
Master Baiter

Re: First Time Grow Log [Re: Ransom]
    #11667218 - 12/17/09 09:24 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I'm using a gas stove. I don't think its my heat source that might be not allowing me to reach 15psi I'm afraid that my pressure cooker itself is not set up to reach it. It doesn't have any sort of gauge does anyone know of a way I could find out if it is reaching 15 psi?

--------------------

Offlineshoottomaim
Master Baiter

#12180237 - 03/10/10 09:22 PM (14 years, 21 days ago)

Crazy....5 months later and NOW I get pins!!! So I had pretty much written this whole experiment off as a loss. Now I check on the last two bags and one of them has pins all over it. I counted 25 pins along the bottom of the bag, with the largest around the size of the end of my pinky. I never really planned on fruiting this in the bag, I just sort of gave up on them and now I am not sure what too do. Should I just let them grow, and harvest when ready and then reseal the bag, or should harvest and then case? Here are the pic.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder