Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAxiom420
ADDICT

Loc: in the forest, behind the...
tripping and neoplatonism
    #1217477 - 01/14/03 11:28 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

has anyone else had the sneeking suspicion that plotinus's mysticism was born out of a psychedelic experience?

especially when it is described as:
an unconscious absorption of the philospher into the One...the soul no longer knows whether it has a body, cannot tell wether it is a man, or anything real at all...one cannot say what the experience itself was...or attribute to the experience a meaningfull adjective...that only the person who has had the experience knows what it is; and he does not really know....it is an incommunicable experience...not open to scientific experimentation or logical proof....The descent from the One or the recovery from the trance, is again the production of the world.

is tripping an adjective? adverb? participle?
so much for the pinacle of greek thought.
i've had the same thought about hegel's dialectic.
any one else?
am i all alone in here?

--------------------
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
- Albert Einstein

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
Re: tripping and neoplatonism [Re: Axiom420]
    #1218323 - 01/14/03 04:39 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

No, but Socrates may have been put to death for unauthorized use of the Eleusinian Kykeon, and Plato's Archetypes and Realm of Eternal Ideas, which later translated into Jungian notions, are definately psychedelic.

As a philosophy major in the 70's, I had the unique opportunity to take a tutorial on the Enneads of Plotinus, when little by little, the entire class dropped out of a course on mysticism. At the end of the course, we read Dionysus the Areopagite's 'Mystical Theology and the Divine Names' in order to compare a Pagan and a Christian Neoplatonist. During that semester, I probably took the greatest amount of acid in my life, even giving a blotter to the professor in a card (to which he never responded). I also practiced Yoga, and found the Plotinian 'Flight of the Alone to the Alone' on the same page as Yoga (even though Neoplatonic ecstasy is different from Yogic enstasy, there was cross-over).

I think Plotinus was a natural mystic. Even if he was suffused by the Holy Spirit of Christianity, he never became a Christian, but through Augustine, he had a tremendous impact on Catholic Christianity, and through others an impact on Orthodoxy.

'The Fugs' had a 4 second 'song' called 'Tuli visited by the Ghost of Plotinus,' in which, through brief spooky music the lyric runs, "I'm only in this for the sex myself."

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology