Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSaviorself187
Self-Reliant Vagrant
Male

Loc: Alabama
Aquarium Heater's Maximum Space
    #12170622 - 03/09/10 01:06 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

I was wondering if there would be a good way to hook up a single aquarium heater to heat and humidify 2-3 30 gallon sterlite tubs for an FC, and if i could get it to fit in a refridgerator- the fridge is big enough to hold at least two but i dont know if it would be adequate for fruiting.  i already have a setup for a little air-exchange but if the aquarium heater isnt sufficient ill probably try a humidifer and a small heater.  Any tips are welcome but please read carefully and anwer the question, nothing is worse than completely missing the point on a forum for everybody to see. thx

--------------------
In any weather, at any hour of the day or night, I have been anxious to improve the nick of time, and notch it on my stick too; to stand on the meeting of two eternities, the past and the future, which is precisely the present moment; to toe that line.

Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineblujay
pass it b*ch!
Male User Gallery

Re: Aquarium Heater's Maximum Space [Re: Saviorself187]
    #12170676 - 03/09/10 01:13 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

Saviorself187 said:
I was wondering if there would be a good way to hook up a single aquarium heater to heat and humidify 2-3 30 gallon sterlite tubs for an FC, and if i could get it to fit in a refridgerator- the fridge is big enough to hold at least two but i dont know if it would be adequate for fruiting.  i already have a setup for a little air-exchange but if the aquarium heater isnt sufficient ill probably try a humidifer and a small heater.  Any tips are welcome but please read carefully and anwer the question, nothing is worse than completely missing the point on a forum for everybody to see. thx

I think you posted in the wrong forum :P It's no biggie though, we can forgive you.

I do not think an aquarium heater, unless it is a large expensive unit I haven't seen anyway, will be capable of straight heating 60+gallons of air, keeping in mind they are designed to work underwater.

--------------------

wat man rly

Edited by blujay (03/09/10 01:15 PM)

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Re: Aquarium Heater's Maximum Space (moved) [Re: Saviorself187]
    #12170687 - 03/09/10 01:14 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

This thread was moved from The Pub.

Reason:
We gots a forum for these kinds of questions.

Offlineblujay
pass it b*ch!
Male User Gallery

Re: Aquarium Heater's Maximum Space (moved) [Re: Gumby]
    #12170726 - 03/09/10 01:19 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

Thank you Gumby :P the staff here is prompt and reliable :P

I do have some experience with cheap aquarium water heaters. The units I bought were 20 bucks and designed to heat and aquariums of about that size. One wasn't enough to make a major difference, and two took several hours to make the inside of my chamber reach 70 degrees. This design was a with the heaters sitting in an inch or two of water at the bottom with shelves above. Makes a great reptile incubator with thermometers attached.

I have also seen some engenious devices called "heat bombs" that are basically a jar or enclosure with the heating element centered inside it. Some modifcation of the heaters was required in some cases though, and I didn't feel the need to mess with any of that.

--------------------

wat man rly

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Aquarium Heater's Maximum Space (moved) [Re: blujay]
    #12170742 - 03/09/10 01:23 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

I was wondering if there would be a good way to hook up a single aquarium heater to heat and humidify 2-3 30 gallon sterlite tubs for an FC,

why do you want to heat it.  room temps (68-78F) is fine for all stages of myc growth even fruiting.

Quote:

and if i could get it to fit in a refridgerator- the fridge is big enough to hold at least two but i dont know if it would be adequate for fruiting.

no it wouldnt.  you need lots of Fresh Air.

Quote:

i already have a setup for a little air-exchange but if the aquarium heater isnt sufficient ill probably try a humidifer and a small heater.

you need as much air as you can during fruiting and a heater will dry up any humidity in the air if you do that.

are you using cakes or grains?  we need a few more details to help with your setup. :thumbup:

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
Click here ^ for the AMU forum
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV
"Man is the sex organ of the machine world" ~  Marshall McLuhan

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Aquarium Heater's Maximum Space (moved) [Re: 13shrooms]
    #12170768 - 03/09/10 01:29 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11533599

this link should help with some ideas for good setups for you. :super:

--------------------
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV

Offlineblujay
pass it b*ch!
Male User Gallery

#12170769 - 03/09/10 01:29 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

A refridgerator could easily be retrofitted for your purposes, given that it no longer needs to be a refridgerator. You would need to facilitate air echange by pumping air into the box, and you need to maintain a high humidity and 70-80 deg f. They will do fine at room temparature, but you can increase the speed and amount of growth by keeping the temperature higher.

There is a point around 88 dg f that the temperature becomes facilitating to bacterial growth. This can screw you over much worse than being too cold. Keep temperature concerns below humidity and air exchange concerns.

--------------------

wat man rly

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
    #12170807 - 03/09/10 01:33 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

There is a point around 88 dg f that the temperature becomes facilitating to bacterial growth.

thats 81F not 88F :strokebeard:

Quote:

They will do fine at room temparature, but you can increase the speed and amount of growth by keeping the temperature higher.

myc generates heat as it colonizes so a jar at 78F room temp has an internal temp of 81F.  if using spawn bags that temp could differ as much as 20deg. :mushroom2:

--------------------

Invisiblebumpn
jesus juice

Loc: HELL
    #12170867 - 03/09/10 01:39 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

im with you 13. i look at at this thread and was like :dudewtf:

1.why the fridge ?
2.why the heater? i was assuming the fridge was gonna be on. then I was like that don't make sense. must be a stealth grow.

seeing the thread I was thinking the only reason for a heater is a TIT but a mono works just as well .
must be my mind set :if you gotta hide your grow you shouldn't be growing!!

--------------------
[if u have PB print PM ME]
{-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------}

OfflineSaviorself187
Self-Reliant Vagrant
Male

#12170912 - 03/09/10 01:44 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

WOW that was fast, this place is awesome.  OK, i have an LC going right now and i plan to use BRF or popcorn just to make it easy for my 1st.  I feel that im well read on this but i have 0 experience so your input is extermely valuable.                                          i know the heat isnt necessary, i just wanted to optimize growing conditions and i thought the two in 1 bang of heat and humidity in the aquarium heater might be too good to be true. i wanted to avoid too much equipment but still have maximum efficiency.  what do you recommend for humidity and would a 6" inline duct fan and not work for airflow?

--------------------
In any weather, at any hour of the day or night, I have been anxious to improve the nick of time, and notch it on my stick too; to stand on the meeting of two eternities, the past and the future, which is precisely the present moment; to toe that line.

Offlineblujay
pass it b*ch!
Male User Gallery

#12170929 - 03/09/10 01:46 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

13shrooms said:
Quote:

There is a point around 88 dg f that the temperature becomes facilitating to bacterial growth.

thats 81F not 88F :strokebeard:

Quote:

They will do fine at room temparature, but you can increase the speed and amount of growth by keeping the temperature higher.

myc generates heat as it colonizes so a jar at 78F room temp has an internal temp of 81F.  if using spawn bags that temp could differ as much as 20deg. :mushroom2:

Good call. :strokebeard:

So if you keep your house at 68-70 temperature is practically negligible. The gains associated with nearing that threshold may not outwiegh the risk of creating temperatures inside your myc above 81.

I didn't realize it generated any measureable heat during colonization. interesting

--------------------

wat man rly

OfflineSaviorself187
Self-Reliant Vagrant
Male

#12170950 - 03/09/10 01:49 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

The fridge is new but the compressor burned out, and the whole stealth aspect is in my nature.  I dont mind projects like installing the fan and stuff like that but if you think it would really hurt the grow then i could just resort to more conventional methods but i really want to try it this way for the possibility of a massive grow in insonspicuous containers- lots of old refridgerators in your yard might look crazy if you dont live in alabama.

--------------------

Offlineblujay
pass it b*ch!
Male User Gallery

#12170981 - 03/09/10 01:54 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

Saviorself187 said:
WOW that was fast, this place is awesome.  OK, i have an LC going right now and i plan to use BRF or popcorn just to make it easy for my 1st.  I feel that im well read on this but i have 0 experience so your input is extermely valuable.                                          i know the heat isnt necessary, i just wanted to optimize growing conditions and i thought the two in 1 bang of heat and humidity in the aquarium heater might be too good to be true. i wanted to avoid too much equipment but still have maximum efficiency.  what do you recommend for humidity and would a 6" inline duct fan and not work for airflow?

I don't have experience with culturing anything in liquid unfortunately, and popcorn got molded easily. Try the brf I say. The natural-vermiculite mold-spore filter layer strategy works marvelously.

If you use a 6" fan that should be fine, but you want it pulling air in through polyfilled or otherwise filtered inlets.

Pushing air in you'd want a filter on the intake and to make sure the cabinet maintains a noticable positive air pressure.

I would run the fans several minutes every hour. Accomplishing this is another concern.

If you keep it clean enough, you can simply crumble your colonies into more substrate (pasteurized manure is good) and from my experience, heavily increase the size and yield of each fruit and possibly the number you get out of it, as well.

--------------------

wat man rly

OfflineSaviorself187
Self-Reliant Vagrant
Male

#12171103 - 03/09/10 02:10 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

blujay said:
I don't have experience with culturing anything in liquid unfortunately, and popcorn got molded easily. Try the brf I say. The natural-vermiculite mold-spore filter layer strategy works marvelously.

If you use a 6" fan that should be fine, but you want it pulling air in through polyfilled or otherwise filtered inlets.

Pushing air in you'd want a filter on the intake and to make sure the cabinet maintains a noticable positive air pressure.

I would run the fans several minutes every hour. Accomplishing this is another concern.

If you keep it clean enough, you can simply crumble your colonies into more substrate (pasteurized manure is good) and from my experience, heavily increase the size and yield of each fruit and possibly the number you get out of it, as well.

Thanks blujay and 13shrooms and everyone else youve all helped alot.  i probably will just do the old tried and true but i will devise a way to aquarium heat a fridge and pump out some serious quantity and ill post it to show results.  This site is so damn handy its hard to believe.

--------------------

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
    #12171170 - 03/09/10 02:19 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

its been done but it takes some tweeking.  look up PmP or poor mans pod.  their might even be some refridgerator teks in the archives. :shrug:

--------------------

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
    #12171202 - 03/09/10 02:21 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6461320#6461320

here you go.  agar was a genious for mycolgy inovations. :super:

--------------------

InvisibleIndicaHybrid

#12171582 - 03/09/10 03:18 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

don't run an aquarium heater in air space. there is minimum water level requirement for those things. not safe.

--------------------
:rastamon:

Offlinehisheater
trigger man
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: PNW
Re: Aquarium Heater's Maximum Space (moved) [Re: IndicaHybrid]
    #12171723 - 03/09/10 03:36 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

yeah i've actually gotten pretty badly burned by one of those once. They can get really hot if not in water

--------------------
They call them fingers but I never see them fing... Oh wait, there they go.
-----------------------------------------------
dangermike78 said: "Or are you to ignorant to get that?"
The most hilarious post to date...
Doo Yoo Hookah???

OfflineSaviorself187
Self-Reliant Vagrant
Male

Re: Aquarium Heater's Maximum Space (moved) [Re: IndicaHybrid]
    #12171946 - 03/09/10 04:10 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

IndicaHybrid said:
don't run an aquarium heater in air space. there is minimum water level requirement for those things. not safe.

my plan was to have a large reservoir or maybe a heat bomb that was either dead center or below the substrate.  i think i might try the heat bomb first, with my primary concern being humidity.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order