Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Sadness has filled my heart ....
    #1216309 - 01/14/03 03:59 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

December 26 was a happy day for Flavio, a 8 year old kid living in my town. He was happy about his Christmas presents received the day before, he was even more happy because he will be celebrating his birthday on the 29th with his colegues in school.
A friend of her mom had collected a big mushroom to give them, it's time for Lepiotas proceras around here. Flavio liked to eat cooked mushrooms, his mom made a delicious plate with the mushroom and both eat with pleasure.
Several hours later both began to feel very sick, with diarreas and vomits, mom called 911 and both went to the hospital, Flavio had eaten very well contrary to his mom, who got better. He went into coma, two liver transplant were made but his life ended two days later.
The 29th, his mom with tears in his eyes took a cake to school and all his colleges began to sing happy birthday to him... he was not there to blow the candles. Later, it was told by his mom that she was not his real mom, he was adopted and loved thru all this years, a lonely sould wich found a life among the love of others. His life was short but full of love....
Please take any precaution when hunting or giving mushrooms to your friends, this guy wich gave the mushroom to his mom, had some experience, popular/folks experience that is, you can now see how dangerous this knowlodge is...

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineJackal
Well Versed In Etiquette
 User Gallery

Re: Sadness has filled my heart .... [Re: MAIA]
    #1216315 - 01/14/03 04:07 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

:frown:

Offlineshroomerman
dopaminecatalyst

Loc: florida
Re: Sadness has filled my heart .... [Re: Jackal]
    #1216346 - 01/14/03 04:35 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

That's the saddest thing I've heard.

--------------------
"Someone please help me stop laughing!!!"

Anonymous

#1216360 - 01/14/03 04:43 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflineRemy
Bitches Brew
 User Gallery

Loc: Atlanta, GA
    #1216363 - 01/14/03 04:46 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

This is quite sad indeed. It is truely a shame people don't use resources (like the shroomery, or local mycological organizations) before eating/giving away mushrooms.

Invisiblewhiterasta
Day careobserver
 User Gallery
Loc: Oregon
Re: Sadness has filled my heart .... [Re: Remy]
    #1216384 - 01/14/03 04:55 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

:frown: this is a terrible thing! I avoid Lepiotas for a similar reason.L.rachoides grow where I used to live and my family enjoyed their fruit.However I collected some which where Identical to those we had always eaten and we became quite ill.Thankfuly only G/I upset and headache but I will now only eat cultivated "wild" strains.If you can......PLEASE give my deepest respect to the family in grief...........Dominus Ominus,WR

--------------------
To old for this place

InvisibleG a n j a
Pictish and proud
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
    #1216408 - 01/14/03 05:06 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

My best wishes got to Flavio's family and all involved.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Maia as if one thing comes out of
Flavios death let it be catuion to all who enjoy this hobbie :frown: and hopefully
stop some one else making the same mistake.

Really makes you think about who you share your finds with :frown:

--------------------
er

OfflineRemy
Bitches Brew
 User Gallery

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Re: Sadness has filled my heart .... [Re: G a n j a]
    #1216441 - 01/14/03 05:21 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Yea, I worry about my friends who I have taught the art of mushrooms hunting. I often recieve bags for identification that have lookalikes, some of them poisonous. I always go through fool-proof testing methods, to identify everything I pick, and I discard anything that I am even remotely unsure of. You can never be too careful when your life, and others lives are on the line.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1216505 - 01/14/03 05:53 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Damn.

Before anybody eats (or gives away for eating) any wild mushrooms they collect they should learn all the potentially deadly mushrooms which occur. There aren't that many, and it would help prevent tragedies such as this.

My sympathies to all those affected.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinecelestialtripper
Test Pilot
Male User Gallery

#1216555 - 01/14/03 06:22 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

i wanna go home now  :frown:

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1216722 - 01/14/03 07:16 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Eehh...yes, truely a sad story...

Thanks for sharing.

Offlineviscid
dikaryon

Loc: the mycological center of...
    #1216778 - 01/14/03 07:33 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

the conflict between promoting familiarity with our fungal friends and reserving enthusiasm due to respect for their power is the essential struggle that plagues my consciousness second by second.
the story makes me sad.
i think of my son.
please do your best as mushroom officianados to instill in your friends, loved-ones and acquaintances the proper amount of awe and fear along with the excitement and wonder.

peace to all, and may we never have to experience such grief first-hand.
:frown: 

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
    #1219439 - 01/14/03 11:22 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Very sad. I read that it's not wise to give mushrooms to children, because they're very sensitive. Even otherwise edible mushrooms can cause trouble.
Similar tragedy happened in my country few years ago. The whole family got poisoned with Amanita phalloides. Parents survived, their kid didn't.

Offlinemoorhsum
SEED MASTER

Loc: N America
    #1219680 - 01/15/03 03:42 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I think people get too comfortable using stuff like Stamets guide, and other I.D. methods, sometimes...
We at the shroomery NEEDED to be shocked once again...Spring is comming
So be Safe everyone, and I suggest NEVER giving ANY mushroom away, until you've tried it yourself...That way, another incident like this never happens again.
The person in question, was a family friend as I take it, not out to do any harm...
They made a mistake wich ended tradgically, and completely unintentionally.
BE SAFE WHILE TRIPPIN, BE SAFE WILE FINDING TRIPS....

--------------------
We are the counter-culturaly elite...

Offlinecalishroomer
Looking For Lunatic In TheGrass!

Re: Sadness has filled my heart .... [Re: moorhsum]
    #1227997 - 01/18/03 04:02 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

i had an experience some time back that was not pleasent to say the least.i picked a few blewitts here in california, and fried them up. i became very sick, and my whole body swelled up like a baloon. my face looked like i was beat on by mike tyson and 10 of his clones. come to find out, it was because i am highlu alergic to IODINE, a naturally occuring chemical in mushrooms.

also a few years back there was a hmong family here that collected mushrooms. they lived in a home with like 13 other hmong relatives and SEVERAL childern. they collected several pounds of mushrooms, and ate them. a couple of weeks later after the neighbors complained they had not seen them, and the smell there was getting really bad (they raised chickens for food also so the C/S was smelly too.) they county sheriff came to see if there was something wrong. he found ALL OF THEM DEAD. they had picked and ingested poison wild mushrooms (i believe young death caps or something similar) and died VERY QUICKLY.

let this serve as a lesson to everyone whom believes they know everything there is to know and NEVER get a false sense of security in your identifications. as with me, i had went all of my life and never had any sort of reaction to any edible mushrooms i had picked. you may be able to go years and never have an allergy like mine show up and WHAM!!..... your in a bad spot.

BE VERY CAREFUL....IS THAT MUSHROOM REALLY WORTH YOUR LIFE?....

--------------------
"The Lunatic Is In The Grass!!"

Offlinechills420
Poo Pie Maker

Re: Sadness has filled my heart .... [Re: calishroomer]
    #1228164 - 01/18/03 06:52 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Poor little guy
I hope everyone here atleast looks over this thread.
When a child dies it is truly a sad moment. I feel for the mother who gave it to him without knowing better.
My little boy also loves mushrooms we have went thru not picking them in the yard or eatting anything without first asking his mother or I
I caught him playing with them n the yard once and about had a heart attack.
He now knows the only mushrooms he can touch is the ones out of the can or on his pizza or if we give him one.
As for my magic mushrooms there way way above his head and out of his sight locked away.
I'm not even sure what would happen if a child was to eat a EQ or something like it.
I have my doubts they would eat it being the taste is so nasty but who knows.

Does anyone know of a child eatting a large amount of shrooms and what this causes?

--------------------
Teach a man to make cakes he will trip for a night. Teach a man to case he will trip forever

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
Re: Sadness has filled my heart .... [Re: chills420]
    #1228268 - 01/18/03 07:48 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Does anyone know of a child eatting a large amount of shrooms and what this causes?

I've read in my Audobon Mushroom ID book that there have been cases of children dying from ingesting large amounts of psilocybian mushrooms. Not sure what kind of psilocybe, and I think if your son got a couple of grams it wouldn't be enough to do anything, well besides make for an interesting couple of hours. Try explaining to your son why the trees are breathing.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Sadness has filled my heart .... [Re: chills420]
    #1228434 - 01/18/03 09:14 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I'll assume you mean mushrooms containing psilocybin/psilocin, and answer that question with quotations from Mushrooms: Poisons and Panaceas by Dr. Denis R Benjamin. Dr. Benjamin is a pathologist and is currently chairman of the NAMA Toxicology Committee.

"Evidence suggests that seizures are much more likely to develop in children. Four children who ate Psilocybe baeocystis (ages 4, 4, 6, and 9 years) all develped mydriasis and generalized tonic-clonic convulsions.
In children poisoned with these mushrooms, high body temperatues have been noted. Unfortunately, not all the reports in the literature give the patient's temperature. Psilocin is known to be pyrogenic in animals, especially dogs. It is not known whether the convulsions seen in psilocin-poisoned children are related to this febrile reaction or are a direct effect of tryptamine derivatives on the central nervous system. Both may play a role." (p.330)

"Deaths due to poisoning by hallucinogenic mushrooms are extraordinarily rare. I found one documented victim - a six-year old child." (p.333)

There is apparently some debate as to whether the death mentioned above was actually due to psilocybian mushrooms.

The main risk to children is their general susceptibility to poisoning. A dose which might produce little effect in an adult will produce far greater effects in a child. One obvious reason is the child's relatively tiny body mass.

If a child were to eat some mushrooms and showed any symptoms of poisoning, they should be put under medical care. The high body temperatures and seizures are treatable (as are most dangerous symptoms of any mushroom poisoning).

Hope that is helpful.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification