Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMycoUnderground
Enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Loc: Suburban CO
I think this is yeast...could use some confirmation
    #12094492 - 02/25/10 10:56 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

These jars started great (MS).  Most rhizomorphic growth I've had.  I gave them a shake at about 50% colonization.  After the shake they recovered, but did not seem as strong as before.  As they were recovering I noticed small white specks in some parts of the mycellium.  It is especially apparent when looking at the dark sunflower seeds that have a lot of contrast with the light mycellium and the specks.

I took pictures of the jar where the specks are most noticable.  I took several to try to get the best focus (my camera is a pain).

As you can see there are spots around that sunflower seed and some less noticable ones around the rest of the jar.  It looks to me like this is yeast or some type of bacteria.

What is most concerning me is other jars have similar specks in the mycellium, they are just much smaller; too small for my camera to show.  I can't quite tell if it is mycellium or something else.  Even though these jars are 100% colonized, will I be able to tell if they are contaminated by smelling when I open them?  If not, is there any other way to tell if they are contaminated?

Thanks for checkin this out.  I appreciate your responses.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHofmann1943
explorer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Forest
Re: I think this is yeast...could use some confirmation [Re: MycoUnderground]
    #12102209 - 02/26/10 01:30 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

if its yeast it will smell like one, and i don't think you'l have fully colonized jars, whit some bacteria like that in it.
open it smell it, if your still suspicious cut it out.

any way its look fine to me.

--------------------
By Albert Hofmann :
Been cautious man, I though I would start with a smallest, smallest quantity. Namely I started with 0.25mg.....and my intention was to increase dosage to see if something will happened.
That very small dosage, the first dose of my experiments i planed, was very very strong.

OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE United States Flag
Re: I think this is yeast...could use some confirmation [Re: Hofmann1943]
    #12102293 - 02/26/10 01:50 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Those jars look fine to me - but give them the smell test to be sure.

In my experience, grains infected with yeast won't get anywhere near full colonization. Unless the jar completely stalled out after you shook it, it should be good to go.

Offlinewhitelight7
Sr.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington Flag
Re: I think this is yeast...could use some confirmation [Re: Brennus]
    #12108026 - 02/27/10 01:06 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Looks fine, just some knots forming, too brilliant white to be yeast.

--------------------
Staunch supporter of spontaneous generation:cheers:

Offlinesolumvita
Q.B.E.
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
Re: I think this is yeast...could use some confirmation [Re: whitelight7]
    #12112622 - 02/28/10 10:48 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

that does not look like yeast to me either

--------------------
One of these days all the answers will be revealed until then we learn from each other!

www.mushrush.co.za

OfflineTony
Stranger

Re: I think this is yeast...could use some confirmation [Re: solumvita]
    #12118307 - 03/01/10 06:03 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I was told this is yeast, which also made the mycelium act funny and rhizomorphic.

OfflineHofmann1943
explorer
Male User Gallery

Re: I think this is yeast...could use some confirmation [Re: Tony]
    #12125790 - 03/02/10 05:04 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Tony said:
I was told this is yeast, which also made the mycelium act funny and rhizomorphic.

who the fu*k told you that, we here like rhizomorphic mycelium don't we?
that's all good.

--------------------
By Albert Hofmann :
Been cautious man, I though I would start with a smallest, smallest quantity. Namely I started with 0.25mg.....and my intention was to increase dosage to see if something will happened.
That very small dosage, the first dose of my experiments i planed, was very very strong.

OfflineTony
Stranger

#12125820 - 03/02/10 05:28 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

It was RR himself who identified it as yeast :nono:

It shows up as those circled patches of white dots, which appeared too early during the colonization to be hyphal knots(?). Also, growth of the mycelium seemed a somewhat stalled in places.

I'm a noob, but as far as I know, rhizomorphic growth can appear under different conditions, like when the substrate is a bit on the dry side. So, maybe the yeast acted as a stressor which caused the myc to go rhizomorphic, i.e. enter the berserk mode. Maybe that's what the rhizomorphic growth mode is - mycelium going berserk? :hulk:

OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE United States Flag
    #12126992 - 03/02/10 11:04 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Tony said:

It shows up as those circled patches of white dots, which appeared too early during the colonization to be hyphal knots(?). Also, growth of the mycelium seemed a somewhat stalled in places.

I'm a noob, but as far as I know, rhizomorphic growth can appear under different conditions, like when the substrate is a bit on the dry side. So, maybe the yeast acted as a stressor which caused the myc to go rhizomorphic, i.e. enter the berserk mode. Maybe that's what the rhizomorphic growth mode is - mycelium going berserk? :hulk:

Never seen yeast do that before in my experience. Thanks for sharing.

OfflineHofmann1943
explorer
Male User Gallery

#12128906 - 03/02/10 04:33 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Tony said:

neither did I.

I think the rhizomorphic growth is possible if you have "clean" strain.
when you transport piece of mycelium from agar to agar you pick the most rhizomorphic piece. So that's what i want in my jar's.
Am i wrong?
that little white things are yeast,damn i never actually see one, I always smell it firs.

--------------------
By Albert Hofmann :

Offlinewhitelight7
Sr.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington Flag
    #12131645 - 03/02/10 11:18 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

yeah, but that was deff yeast in the highlighted area.

--------------------
Staunch supporter of spontaneous generation:cheers:

OfflineHofmann1943
explorer
Male User Gallery

Re: I think this is yeast...could use some confirmation [Re: whitelight7]
    #12132558 - 03/03/10 03:59 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

it is great when you find out something new to you.

--------------------
By Albert Hofmann :

OfflineMycoUnderground
Enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Loc: Suburban CO
    #12159423 - 03/07/10 02:15 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Well I let those jars sit for about 5 more days and the spots had grown some.  Since I was going to spawn some other jars I decided I might as well check out the questionable ones.  When I opened them up they just smelled like mycellium, so I figured I might as well spawn those too.

I had never seen growth like that before, so I was naturally very suspicious.  But, if the odd growth spots were bacteria I think they would have become smelly after 10 days of being visible, not to mention the time before being visible.

Thanks for your inputs.  I'll keep my fingers crossed and give an update in a few weeks.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder