Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

North Spore Shop: Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineQuoiyaien
><<<<0>>>><
Male User Gallery

Correcting Habitual Tension?
    #12121530 - 03/01/10 04:20 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I am having trouble with an aspect of my practice, and I thought I would ask here.  I have issues with muscular contractions on the right side of my body.  Not just physical, but in my seeing and hearing as well.  The entire left side of my experience seems to be much more open than the right side.  I have been practicing Zen for about 6 years now, and although I have learned to release all these contractions in prolonged (and enhanced :wink:) meditation, when I am practicing my regular daily sittings, (and pretty much the rest of the time), I experience an all pervading unevenness. 

I always feel like I am seeing out of my left eye, hearing out of my left ear, I have muscular contractions that cause rotating tension in the muscles in my right side etc... The main muscles I notice are my right trapezius muscle, bicep, base of my thumb, quadricep muscle, hip flexor, mid back, top of head, and cheek.  It seems that no matter what I try, I cant fix it. 

I have tried stretching, yoga, etc, and while they help the soreness, the tension always returns. During zazen I can feel it all as a single contraction, but I just cant open around it.  In extended sittings it ultimately falls away (usually preceeding kensho experiences) but I dont want to have to sit for hours and hours every day just to release this little bit of tension.  There has got to be some exercises to help.

I was thinking of wearing an eye patch on my left eye, and an earplug in my left ear to help bring attention to the right side of my body  (only when at home obviously).  But no stretching/yoga I try ultimately does any good.  I am getting super flexible, but there is still an inconsistency between sides. 

I notice in old photos of me that my right eye is slightly closed relative to my left, so I have had this issue all my life, it is only through meditation that it became so obvious.  I also notice in pics of my dad and grandpa that they have the same thing.  Could it be something genetic?  I know the closed eye is an indication of this contraction because when I have managed to open it all, my eyes are both even.  If I look in the mirror now, my right eye is slightly closed.  I can even out the eyes consciously by focusing on the area of my "third eye", but the rest of the tension is still there.

Any ideas?

:hippie:

Edited by Quoiyaien (03/01/10 06:32 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineQuoiyaien
><<<<0>>>><
Male User Gallery

Re: Correcting Physical/Neural alignment [Re: Quoiyaien]
    #12122102 - 03/01/10 05:37 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Ok, so I have had a few insights into the matter. 

I came across some stuff on dynamic and static posture, and it all made sense.  I can release tension in static postures, but as soon as I start moving again, I move in habitual ways based on a lifetime of neuro-muscular habits. 

So I just have to mindfully practice dynamic exercises and let the body move slowly in natural ways feeling all the tension as it arises during movement.  What I am feeling during my sitting is all the tension that builds during movement. 

Actually, a lot builds up during sleep as well.  Hmmmm.... thats a whole host of other issues  :lol:

Well, another bowl and a blank sheet of paper and I may figure it out. :wink:

Any other insights would be appreciated :smile:

Edited by Quoiyaien (03/01/10 05:43 PM)

OfflineQuoiyaien
><<<<0>>>><
Male User Gallery

#12139640 - 03/04/10 01:13 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

So I have begun to notice that the shape my body takes when i succumb to the tension and slump, perfectly resembles the way my body orients itself when I sleep.  So I am going to try sleeping on my back more often and see how that goes. 

I was just curious if anybody else suffers from anything similar?

OfflineManianFH
living in perverty
 User Gallery

#12140252 - 03/04/10 05:56 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

very interested thread. ive never looked into anything like this. i think when i smile, one of my eyes closes a little more than the other, but ive never attributed anything other than physical to it.

If this is what you call a tension, but nothing more than a physical tension, perhaps you should consider whether or not it causes any disturbances in your life, other than the energy you put into thinking about it.

I would say, this is a physical trait, possibly with a genetic history. I wouldnt look to deep into something like this. but that is also coming from someone who does not practice meditation heavily, so maybe im missing something that you are exposing through your meditations. sounds more obsessive to me honestly, and like something insignificant that you could look past and be completely fine.

--------------------
notapillow said: "you are going about this endeavor all wrong. clear your mind of useless fear and concern. buy the ticket, take the ride, and all that.... "

ChrisWho said: "It's all about the journey, not the destination."

OfflineTitus_Pullo

Re: Correcting Physical/Neural alignment [Re: ManianFH]
    #12140629 - 03/04/10 08:47 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Ha, we have similar problems! My hearing is a lot worse in my right ear (ear infection as a baby), my right eye is near blind while my left eye had perfect eyesight (the left eye is constantly strained trying to make up for the right). My right eye is also slightly more closed, this is called "lazy eye" and a lot of people have it. I've even noticed my left breast is larger than the right and I notice it when I'm doing bench press.

I also have tension, mainly in the shoulder and neck area. Constant tension, but I can let go of it when I become conscious of it. But I notice when I enter a place with a lot of people, or in any situation my shoulders tense up immediately.

I've been practicing tai chi for nearly a year now. I think tai chi and qigong could really help you gain more control over this tension. There are certain things you may not be able to fix, such as the lazy eye but you will definitely learn to control tension. If you don't feel like learning tai chi, simply learn horse stance. It is a qigong meditative technique and also a very good workout. Essentially, you are to release all tension in the body, and have the quadriceps do 99% of the work to keep you erect. It takes a while to get it right, a lot of people have trouble opening their lower back, but once you get it you'll know.

http://www.chikung-unlimited.com/Back-Exercise.html

There is a link for you. Just remember that your lower back should not be arched. The goal of this is to straighten the spine. A simple exercise to help open your lower back is to go against a wall or on the floor and make your whole back touch the surface as well as the back of your head.

You seem to practice a lot of meditation, and I think you'll enjoy trying a new form of meditation that can still the mind and really help you with a lot of physical ailments. Feel free to ask any other questions

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #12140984 - 03/04/10 10:13 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Quoiyaien said:
Ok, so I have had a few insights into the matter. 

I came across some stuff on dynamic and static posture, and it all made sense.  I can release tension in static postures, but as soon as I start moving again, I move in habitual ways based on a lifetime of neuro-muscular habits. 

So I just have to mindfully practice dynamic exercises and let the body move slowly in natural ways feeling all the tension as it arises during movement.  What I am feeling during my sitting is all the tension that builds during movement. 

Actually, a lot builds up during sleep as well.  Hmmmm.... thats a whole host of other issues  :lol:

Well, another bowl and a blank sheet of paper and I may figure it out. :wink:

Any other insights would be appreciated :smile:

Check into the works of Moshe Feldenkrais. You may find what you seek there.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineQuoiyaien
><<<<0>>>><
Male User Gallery

Re: Correcting Physical/Neural alignment [Re: Icelander]
    #12141220 - 03/04/10 11:06 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for the replies!

Quote:

Icelander said:
Check into the works of Moshe Feldenkrais. You may find what you seek there.

I actually came across the Feldenkrais Method in my research.  I only skimmed over it but it did seem interesting. 

Regarding the eye dilemma, It seems that it is more a result of a slight clench I have on the right side of my jaw.  The thing is, if I focus on only a single aspect of this tension, I can release it no problem.  But it is a whole network of tension, not just localized points.  So trying to fix only an aspect of it doesnt seem to work.  The only time I have had full release of all this is during zazen (or when on a dose of LSD).  When it falls away that way it may be completely gone for upwards of a week or two, but it slowly comes creeping back as the days go on.

OfflineFollowTheMusic
Stranger
Re: Correcting Habitual Tension? [Re: Quoiyaien]
    #12141857 - 03/04/10 12:59 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Feldenkrais or Alexander Technique.
Regular massage.
Keep practicing.
Be patient.

OfflineQuoiyaien
><<<<0>>>><
Male User Gallery

Re: Correcting Habitual Tension? [Re: FollowTheMusic]
    #12142261 - 03/04/10 01:57 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

FollowTheMusic said:
Keep practicing.
Be patient.

:laugh:

Jump to top Pages: 1

North Spore Shop: Bulk Substrate