Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineozzysmygod
Late Night PC'ing Enthusiast
 User Gallery

Re: 23 qt presto pressure cooker- warped? [Re: No-way]
    #12142395 - 03/04/10 02:17 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

A steam gauge isn't totally necessary. Its just an indication. I think its included because it helps with canning to see if there canner is still pressurized, when finished. Don't quote me on that tho!

This pressure cooker does 15 PSI and is from argos - Here

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: 23 qt presto pressure cooker- warped? [Re: scifi5001]
    #12142600 - 03/04/10 02:48 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

scifi5001 said:
I warped one by always cooling it in running water to get pressure down after cooking.
Now I have a Hawkins Big Boy and the manual states you can do this, but this pc is built like a tank.

You should NEVER do this with mycology, whether the manufacturer says you can or not.  There's a big difference between grains in a filtered jar and a pot roast.  Rapid cooling of jars will result in ruined filters and higher rates of contamination, as well as cracked jars.

To the original poster, if it ran dry, discard it and don't let that happen again when you get a new one.  The temper of the steel has been ruined and you're using a shrapnel bomb if you put it under pressure.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineABC
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: 23 qt presto pressure cooker- warped? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #12142971 - 03/04/10 03:48 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Ok. thank you

Offlinescifi5001
Deranger
 User Gallery

Loc: fi
Re: 23 qt presto pressure cooker- warped? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #12146349 - 03/05/10 01:11 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

scifi5001 said:
I warped one by always cooling it in running water to get pressure down after cooking.
Now I have a Hawkins Big Boy and the manual states you can do this, but this pc is built like a tank.

You should NEVER do this with mycology, whether the manufacturer says you can or not.  There's a big difference between grains in a filtered jar and a pot roast.  Rapid cooling of jars will result in ruined filters and higher rates of contamination, as well as cracked jars.

To the original poster, if it ran dry, discard it and don't let that happen again when you get a new one.  The temper of the steel has been ruined and you're using a shrapnel bomb if you put it under pressure.
RR

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I don't do it anymore. My point was only that some cookers can withstand it and some do not.

Never cut corners by accelerate cooling, let everything cool in room temperature. Rapid cooling brings a whole host of problems, I would add condensation to the ones RogerRabbit mentioned.

--------------------
Nothing lasts, nothing is lost.

OfflineWhatupfool12
Too BadFish
Male

Loc: Fortworth, Texas
Re: 23 qt presto pressure cooker- warped? [Re: No-way]
    #12146433 - 03/05/10 01:38 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

No-way said:
Yes i saw those All American cookers on ebay.....pricey

Whats the deal with the steam gauge, all the uk pressure cookers dont have that?

its been tricky even finding one that does 15lbs, most only do 12

Owning an AA is well worth the cost. In my opinion, Presto PCs are good for awhile...until the rubber gasket messes up. Then you have to change them annually or so. I bought my 921 off from credit, great when you don't have the extra buck (if you're not debt ridden of course). But if you insist on owning a PC, Prestos are highly recommended for beginners. :thumbup:

--------------------

Noobie's Grade A Lids

Offlinescifi5001
Deranger
 User Gallery

Loc: fi
Re: 23 qt presto pressure cooker- warped? [Re: McMurphy]
    #12147280 - 03/05/10 08:44 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

McMurphy said:
Quote:

scifi5001 said:

Are these good?  I've been looking at getting one but couldn't see any tech specs, do they do 15psi?

Yes, it goes to 15 psi and it's very sturdy, big too.

--------------------
Nothing lasts, nothing is lost.

Invisiblethe_damn

Loc: Hell Flag
Re: 23 qt presto pressure cooker- warped? [Re: scifi5001]
    #15561796 - 12/23/11 12:11 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Shit.  After reading this thread I'm scared as hell to use my PC.  I accidentally let my 23qt. Presto run dry for a long time (fell asleep on the couch) and now the bottom is warped to shit.  I've used it a good 10-20 times since then thinking it was just fine, but the words "shrapnel bomb" are stuck in my head now.  Great.  And what's worse, I have a load of jars sterilizing in that sonofabitch right this very moment.

I'm gonna order a new one ASAP and toss this fucker when my new one gets here.  You guys think I can keep the lid since it's not warped and it has replacement parts that I can use for my new one?

--------------------
I'll be damn...

Offlineshroomie_glen
RedHotPussyLiquor
Male User Gallery

Loc: Narf Carolina Flag
Re: 23 qt presto pressure cooker- warped? [Re: the_damn]
    #15564083 - 12/23/11 08:19 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Listen, I inherited a 23 L presto.... THE SAME ONE AS YOU ABC: And I inherited it USED, and warped as hell.....

All I did was take a wooden 2X4 piece about 6 inces long,  and placed it on the bottom of the pressure cooker upside down (with lid off).

Then I hit it with a hammer (on the wood ofcourse) until the PC was flat on the bottom again.......

I have since had the PC for 1.5 YEARS....................and it works phenominally well.  I am talking a HUGE warp, far greater than what you described ABC....and I pounded it in with a hammer and a 2by4 piece.......

As long as you are incredibly vigilant in not letting your rocker weight go all crazy intense, as someone aforementioned, you'll be fine.
(If there are any visible hairline cracks in your PC, then toss it out as RR said)
Like I said, I have PC'd in mine (after fixing the warp in it) over 80 times (once every 5 days).... no harm yet......

The KEY is making sure it has NO hairline cracks..... and keeping the gasket oiled (which has allowed mine to last a LOOONG LOOONG time)
Be safe, shroomie_glen.

--------------------

No. No, man. Shit, no man.  I believe you'd get your ass kicked sayin' somethin' like that man.

Invisiblethe_damn

Loc: Hell Flag
Re: 23 qt presto pressure cooker- warped? [Re: shroomie_glen]
    #15565375 - 12/24/11 02:22 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Screw that, that's terrible advice.  Just because you were lucky doesn't mean you should encourage other people to risk their lives with dangerous and defective hardware in order to save a buck.  Do a web search for 'exploding pressure cooker' and you'll see that these things can easily kill you if they are not used properly.

If your pressure cooker warps and it is made of aluminum instead of stainless steel, throw the fucking thing out and get a new one.  Or better yet, use the old one as a pot for soaking/boiling grains or something, as those are expensive enough and you won't have any worries using the defective PC without pressure.

--------------------
I'll be damn...

Offlineshroomie_glen
RedHotPussyLiquor
Male User Gallery

Re: 23 qt presto pressure cooker- warped? [Re: the_damn]
    #15565464 - 12/24/11 03:16 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Alright, THE_DAMN, I would have ENTIRELY agreed with you as of about a year and a half ago.,.......
BUT......
SInce I inherited this PC, and bent it back into shape (and it is aluminum, its the EXACT PC he has) I have used it 80+ times.
I would not call that LUCK, by any means.......

I merely suggested he do as I did, and check for hairline pressure cracks.  I saw none after I "bent" mine back into shape (which was WAAAAAYYYYY  more warped than what he described) nad it has worked flawlessly ever since. 

Aluminum is unlike STEEL, as you may or may not know. Its malleability is much higher.  So until you have taken your life into your own hands almost one hundred times as I have "using a PC improperly" then QFT. forrreeeeal.
OP... just check for pressure cracks EVERY USE (dilligently) and if it leaks at ALL, throw it the fuck out.
(I was lucky enough that After my "fix", there were no leaks)

--------------------

No. No, man. Shit, no man.  I believe you'd get your ass kicked sayin' somethin' like that man.

Offlineshroomie_glen
RedHotPussyLiquor
Male User Gallery

#15565470 - 12/24/11 03:19 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Oh yeah, "the wayward traveler" known as "the_damn" has no concept of malleability. just freakin saying.
(I would concur with him if it were a steel PC, there is no "bending" that back into shape.)

--------------------

Invisiblescags
Scientific Enthusiast

Loc: northeast
    #15565813 - 12/24/11 07:24 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

It is silly to use a PC that was cooked dry or has warped. Some folks try to argue about the metal being safe, but in the end you have to recognize that it would basically be a damaged vessel under pressure. Injuries do happen because of misuse like that. If you're in doubt, give an insurance company a call and ask for some statistics on PC-related injury-- they maintain data like that and will give you the nitty-gritty details... they have no reason to lie, especially since working the numbers for profit is their bread-and-butter.

This was actually argued recently with guy who ran his PC dry, melted all his spawn bags, and smoked out his kitchen. Some joker tried to get into a pissing contest about the metal, but in the end he just proved more interested in arguing and less concerned with the safety of fellow members. (You can read about it here: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/15431153 )

Anyway, make a few calls and give the thread a look-through before you listen to anyone that says something like, '...nah dude, it's totally cool to use a warped/damaged PC, i use mine all the time.' Remember to put in enough water, that the weight isn't supposed to be rocking constantly throughout the cook, and to let your PC cool down naturally, too. It will save you from ruining your unit and your jars' moisture content. I hope that helps! Sorry you have to get a new cooker, brother- it's a big expenditure :frown:

Have a safe and happy holiday!

--------------------
No posting executed under this name is intended to imply, condone, motivate, facilitate,encourage, and/or assist in any illegal activity. All activities/procedures discussed by me are are intended to be legal, scientific endeavors in hobby mycology, working with only legal cultures/specimens. I am not aware of any criminal intent and/or use of illegal substances in regards to anything discussed. I have no intent to commit, facilitate, or assist a crime by any discussion I view and/or participate in. Don't follow my advice if that is your intent.

Offlineshroomie_glen
RedHotPussyLiquor
Male User Gallery

Re: 23 qt presto pressure cooker- warped? [Re: scags]
    #15565879 - 12/24/11 07:48 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I recant my previous statements OP: and (gasp) declare that you should throw it away in the name of safety.
(and I am DEAD ((as in you may be dead if you don't) serious))

How many of you expected me to ADMIT that I WAS WRONG?.....
I should have never suggested to you what I did... OP.... please do NOT follow my example.

Noone fucking admits they were wrong on these boards, but I WAS (and just did)

Sorry for almost misleading you OP.....

--------------------

Offlineshroomie_glen
RedHotPussyLiquor
Male User Gallery

#15565883 - 12/24/11 07:48 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I can't lie, it was not easy to admit that I WAS WRONG.

--------------------

InvisibleEvilMushroom666
Heretic
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #15565901 - 12/24/11 07:53 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

shroomie_glen said:

Shows your true colors tho. As you obviously know just because you have
gotten away with something 80 times does not mean the next guy will. Kudos
for being a man and admitting you were wrong, better safe then sorry.

Offlineshroomie_glen
RedHotPussyLiquor
Male User Gallery

Re: 23 qt presto pressure cooker- warped? [Re: EvilMushroom666]
    #15565948 - 12/24/11 08:06 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

EvilMushroom666 said:
Quote:

shroomie_glen said:

Shows your true colors tho. As you obviously know just because you have
gotten away with something 80 times does not mean the next guy will. Kudos
for being a man and admitting you were wrong, better safe then sorry.

I was feelin' rather froggy when I made my posts, but now the booze has worn off and honestly I have begun to question the safety of even my own PC, even though I have used it 80 times (at least) ....

And I am really serious when I say that it was not easy to admit I was wrong.... In fact it was the first time I have done so in a long long time (years at least)...
I am sorry OP, i only hope that my MISINFORMATION hasn't caused you any harm.

--------------------

InvisibleEvilMushroom666
Heretic
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #15565962 - 12/24/11 08:11 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

It sucks to have to replace an item that can cost upwards of $100-200+ dollars,
more for AA`s, BUT it is the smart thing to do.

Stuff does happen, and it only takes one time to ruin your day, end your
life, the life of your friends or family, damage your home, etc. I would
rather spend an extra few hundred on peace of mind knowing that I am safe
then gambling with a pressure vessel that has run dry.

I would not use faulty safety equipment at work, a tool that has been severely
damaged, etc and that carries over into my personal life.

Invisibleuncle bobo
Male User Gallery

Loc: shakedown st
Re: 23 qt presto pressure cooker- warped? [Re: EvilMushroom666]
    #15566389 - 12/24/11 10:32 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

A SHARPNEL BOMB. Thats funny. it has a ruuber blow plug. even damaged aluminum will not give before a piece of rubber does. i have a 23qt that has been ran too long one time. it's warped as well. it has been like that all year and it runs fine. i couldn't even imagine throwing it out, i think that would be silly. like i said it has a rubber blow plug that is a safety feature that will not allow your pressure cooker to blow up.

--------------------

AKA Wolfgang Grajonza                 
IKO MYCO. MEDICINAL FARMS.

Offlinemrcyha
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: 23 qt presto pressure cooker- warped? [Re: ABC]
    #26233756 - 10/06/19 02:59 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

WOW,

BRAND NEW 23 Q PC, used once for 45 minutes

now the bottom is fucking warped!!

I have had the worst fucking day ever,...

First I used Active Dry Yeast in my agar mix and it completely separated and tuirned into some green sludge. I am SO UPSET.

No my BRAND NEW 130$ PC is absolutely warped on the bottom!

I cant believe this,...is it garbage?

Offlinepixelpopper
Crap Artist

Loc: Dreamland
Re: 23 qt presto pressure cooker- warped? [Re: mrcyha]
    #26233760 - 10/06/19 03:03 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

It still works warped, just takes longer / more heat to get going

But if its super warped, you may want to hold off..

Guess you ran it dry? Really the only reason this would happen. Be sure to put enough water in

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   North Spore Cultivation Supplies