Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
The Evolutionary Psychology of Bullying
    #12132443 - 03/03/10 02:53 AM (14 years, 28 days ago)

http://ockhamsbeard.wordpress.com/2009/02/01/the-evolutionary-psychology-of-bullying/
Quote:

The Evolutionary Psychology of Bullying

...here’s one theory: some children are biologically predisposed to bullying because such behaviour lent their ancestors a selective advantage in our evolutionary past.

Let me elaborate. In times where resources are limited – which is basically our entire evolutionary past, including today in many respects – those children who are able to secure the most resources will be the most likely to survive to adulthood. This behaviour is common amongst animals, where even siblings violently compete for parental attention, even to the point of siblicide.

There are multiple strategies for surviving childhood that vary depending on a number of factors, such as an individual’s physical stature, propensity towards risk taking, ability to engage in social coercion etc. One strategy that can prove successful particularly for larger, stronger and/or more aggressive males is to attain and maintain a high social status through physical bullying. A parallel with females may be based more about social and emotional manipulation of others.

Note also that bullies tend to be either loners, who are unable to maintain strong social ties with other individuals – possibly through lack of trust or because their antisocial tendencies forced them into bullying in order to assert themselves – or they are a high status individual within a close knit group of followers. The stereotypical bully with his grovelling sidekicks is an anecdotal example of this.

Also note that being a grovelling sidekick is another viable strategy for surviving childhood, particularly for physically weaker males; partner with a domainant high status individual and support them, receiving their protection in return. In some cases it can either be a bully or be-bullied situation that drives them to partner with a bully.

Also, the habit of forming into cliques within the schoolyard might indicate another survival mechanism: team up with a small close knit group of individual whom you trust and can provide with mutual support and protection, particularly from bullies. Being a part of such a group could improve chances of surviving the perils of childhood competition compared to going it solo. However, expand the group too large, and it might become too difficult to maintain effective relations with all the other group members and monitor their behaviour, thus possibly eroding trust and group cohesion. Hence the tendency towards multiple smaller groups rather than broad cohesion amongst all children in the playground.

Now, notice that all the theories so far operate on the ultimate level – i.e. none of the above would necessarily enter into the reasoning or motivation of any individuals engaged in any of these practices. As such, there must be proximate mechanisms that encourage such fitness-enhancing behaviour.

One might include the propensity for children to pick on the most distinctive or alien looking child to pick on. This could be a mechanism that has evolved to identify members of other tribes (presumably by virtue of their different appearance, behaviour or language/accent) and exclude them so one’s own tribe’s members receive the maximum amount of resources.

So, why might our current anti-bullying programmes not be as effective as hoped? Perhaps we’re targetting bullying with the wrong preconceptions in mind. I’ve read through a lot of anti-bullying sites that assume bullying is a learned behaviour, developmental disorder, an aberration of behaviour or a failure to appreciate the effects one has on one’s peers. However, if bullying is a behaviour that some individuals will be predisposed towards because of evolutionary reasons, then it might be counter productive to assume it’s entirely learned and that it can be simply deprogrammed. Some bullies might be entirely aware of (or conveniently able to block out) their empathetic responses to their victims.

Furthermore, it might turn out to be a fruitful line of research investigating how to co-opt other evolved proximate mechanisms to counter bullying rather than attack it head on. For example, focus on the group dynamic and convince the bully or bullying group to include the victims within their group. In-group boundaries are flexible, and can be manipulated – as one sees when sports fanatics who are bitter rivals at the league level become allies at the national or international level.

Bullies are :sheepie:

Does anyone think that this type of behavior will ever cease to exist? :strokebeard:

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Edited by Poid (03/03/10 03:07 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJaegar
Formless One
 User Gallery

Re: The Evolutionary Psychology of Bullying [Re: Poid]
    #12132661 - 03/03/10 05:28 AM (14 years, 28 days ago)

Not in our lifetime.

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Evolutionary Psychology of Bullying [Re: Jaegar]
    #12132666 - 03/03/10 05:30 AM (14 years, 28 days ago)

:crying:

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#12133871 - 03/03/10 11:39 AM (14 years, 28 days ago)

:haha:

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

OfflineChemical Sandman
The Psychedelic Sinner

Loc: Canada
    #12133963 - 03/03/10 11:53 AM (14 years, 28 days ago)

Eventually, but not in this society, more a less in a utopia where everyone has an equal purpose in life.

But then again, people will get bored and start shit.

So probably not.:confused:

Start working out if you have trouble with bullies. IMO bullies were the biggest bitches in school. I used to scare bullies who would start shit on weaker individuals and easily expose them as guys who won't fight a battle that will require a great effort, and also fair chance of losing. Most bullies lose their mentality after a few experiences like that.

So once we have a class training kids how to stand up for themselves and others,(including self defense) they would instantly out number the bullies in school.

Strength by numbers would dissipate this problem, as long as everyone worked together. Bullies just enjoy picking on lesser beings for further advancement of their low self esteem and petty stimulation of their frontal cortex.

If kids stopped laughing at people getting bullying this would help stop this as well, taking us back to a training class for the normal kids to help prevent bullying from not laughing, or giving attention, and in cases when needed, out numbering the bully with physical force to show that we live in a society where this will not be tolerate.

When that day comes our children have a chance.

--------------------
"It's that in me there is no sorcery, there is no anger, there are no lies. Because I don't have garbage, I don't have dust. The sickness comes out if the sick vomit. They vomit the sickness. They vomit because the mushrooms want them to. If the sick don't vomit, I vomit. I vomit for them and in that way the malady is expelled. The mushrooms have power because they are the flesh of God. And those that believe are healed. Those that do not believe are not healed."(Maria Sabina)

"Then there are the fanatical atheists whose intolerance is the same as that of the religious fanatics, and it springs from the same source . . . They are creatures who can't hear the music of the spheres." (Albert Einstein)

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Evolutionary Psychology of Bullying [Re: Chemical Sandman]
    #12134564 - 03/03/10 01:14 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

This has nothing to do with me or my personal life, rather, I am just curious about the psychology of bullying and would like to discuss it with others.

If this statement is true:

Quote:

Note also that bullies tend to be either loners, who are unable to maintain strong social ties with other individuals – possibly through lack of trust or because their antisocial tendencies forced them into bullying in order to assert themselves – or they are a high status individual within a close knit group of followers. The stereotypical bully with his grovelling sidekicks is an anecdotal example of this.

...then it's something that I see as pathetic and would like to see an end to it. I have seen what bullying causes people to do to themselves, and as gay as it sounds, I actually feel sort of bad for them, and wish that they didn't have to go through it.

The world is pretty fucked up, and I don't like it--I feel that bullying behavior contributes to this to at least some degree, and think that it could be prevented. Some people kill themselves as the result of being bullied, and again, I feel for them and their families/loved ones.

If I had a kid that was being bullied, I would definitely personally intervene.

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#12134656 - 03/03/10 01:30 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

if life was fair then bullies would not exist

draw your own conclusions

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #12134734 - 03/03/10 01:46 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

would like to see an end to it.

I'd like to see the end of lots of shit but it's not going to happen.

Better to learn to deal with the negatives than hope for and end. Understanding is ok though as it breeds compassion. Then when you kick some ass you won't be a bully yourself.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Evolutionary Psychology of Bullying [Re: Icelander]
    #12134765 - 03/03/10 01:51 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

if life was fair then bullies would not exist

draw your own conclusions

It's always fun to speculate with others about the causes of the world's problems, and to formulate potential solutions.

I'd like to see the end of lots of shit but it's not going to happen.

Better to learn to deal with the negatives than hope for and end. Understanding is ok though as it breeds compassion. Then when you kick some ass you won't be a bully yourself.

Yeah I realize there's probably nothing that I can do to make any significant changes in this world, but it's still sort of hard for me to get over my disappointment of this fact.

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#12134799 - 03/03/10 02:02 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

the taste of evaporating idealistic dreams in the face of the harsh glare of the Sun's realism is quite delicious

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Evolutionary Psychology of Bullying [Re: deCypher]
    #12134829 - 03/03/10 02:07 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

:awetongue:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

Offlineandrewss
precariously aggrandized

Loc: ohio
    #12134962 - 03/03/10 02:30 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

thats why we have brooding resentment, year books, and firearms poid!

--------------------
Jesus loves you.

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Evolutionary Psychology of Bullying [Re: andrewss]
    #12135029 - 03/03/10 02:42 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

Firearms are the shit! :onfire:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#12135234 - 03/03/10 03:11 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

:flamethrow:

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #12135296 - 03/03/10 03:18 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

:hitler:

:flamethrow::jew:

:hitlerdance:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#12135312 - 03/03/10 03:19 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

excellent historical example, Poid

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #12135333 - 03/03/10 03:21 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

The Ultimate Bull-E. :sadyes:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

OfflineAngryPhil
Herenow

#12136005 - 03/03/10 04:48 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

Bullying, and violence in general, seems to be more characteristic of incivility. The civility of an individual tends to be strongly determined by their childhood. Children with parents who are very involved in their lives tend to be less violent (as was the case for me at least) and the opposite seems to tend toward children with negligent parents.

--------------------
The creation takes hand of the chisel...

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Evolutionary Psychology of Bullying [Re: AngryPhil]
    #12136026 - 03/03/10 04:52 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

AngryPhil said:
Children with parents who are very involved in their lives tend to be less violent (as was the case for me at least) and the opposite seems to tend toward children with negligent parents.

That's not necessarily true--many popular, athletic, intelligent rich kids who have loving parents bully less popular, non-athletic, less intelligent, and less rich kids.

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

OfflineAngryPhil
Herenow

#12136140 - 03/03/10 05:07 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

Poid said:
Quote:

AngryPhil said:
Children with parents who are very involved in their lives tend to be less violent (as was the case for me at least) and the opposite seems to tend toward children with negligent parents.

That's not necessarily true--many popular, athletic, intelligent rich kids who have loving parents bully less popular, non-athletic, less intelligent, and less rich kids.

You're right. Humans are too complicated for our nature to be summed up with any rules that don't have plenty of exceptions. I'm guessing that the urge to boast one's own perceived superiority by exposing another's inferiority through bullying is with all of us from birth. A big part of raising a child involves teaching them to resist acting on certain natural urges. So I would say upbringing is a significant factor, among countless other factors, that makes a child a bully.

--------------------
The creation takes hand of the chisel...

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #12136186 - 03/03/10 05:12 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

Maybe we should introduce Sister Wendy's technique of using yard sticks to administer corporal punishment on bullies to secular schools? :sisterwendy:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#12136194 - 03/03/10 05:14 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

AngryPhil said:
Bullying, and violence in general, seems to be more characteristic of incivility. The civility of an individual tends to be strongly determined by their childhood. Children with parents who are very involved in their lives tend to be less violent (as was the case for me at least) and the opposite seems to tend toward children with negligent parents.

My parents tried to be heavily involved in my life.  :satansmoking:

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #12136238 - 03/03/10 05:19 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

Dude you had an awesome upbringing, I'm fucking jealous. :thumbup:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#12136240 - 03/03/10 05:20 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

I was given wealth and I am squandering it all on women and drugs.

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #12136245 - 03/03/10 05:21 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

See, and you turned out great. :thumbup:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

Invisibleexplosiveoxygen
Prophet of TGMM

#12136558 - 03/03/10 06:01 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

Doesn't bullying also involve groups of weak individuals attacking lone threats? :stirthepot:

--------------------
The Great Mycelium (TGMM) is more than you and me, we are all part of One.

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Evolutionary Psychology of Bullying [Re: explosiveoxygen]
    #12136579 - 03/03/10 06:03 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

Sure, why not? :shrug:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

OfflineShroomzoom622
Whole lot of nothing

#12195039 - 03/13/10 12:52 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

Being bullied isn't about being small and weak and all the shit people like to think. Growing up I was small for my age and weaker than a majority of the other kids but was never ONCE bullied, and that is because of my personality. The kids who are bullied are done so because they aren't friends with the "bully", and it is actually because of strange social behavior kids are ostracized.

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: The Evolutionary Psychology of Bullying [Re: Shroomzoom622]
    #12195049 - 03/13/10 12:53 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

Shroomzoom622 said:
Being bullied isn't about being small and weak and all the shit people like to think. Growing up I was small for my age and weaker than a majority of the other kids but was never ONCE bullied, and that is because of my personality. The kids who are bullied are done so because they aren't friends with the "bully", and it is actually because of strange social behavior kids are ostracized.

Usually.

--------------------

OfflineShroomzoom622
Whole lot of nothing

#12195078 - 03/13/10 12:57 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

Mr. Cypher said:
Quote:

Shroomzoom622 said:

Usually.

Yea, I didn't mean for it to be an absolute proclamation, but the majority of the time bullying is the result of different social behavior, and someones size/intelligence/appearance is simply fuel for the fire.

OfflineKickleM
Wanderer
 User Gallery

#12195174 - 03/13/10 01:12 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

Being the runt of the litter can cause strange social behavior just as much as strange social behavior can cause bullying :shrug:

Your physicality interacts with the environment and helps shape your psychology.

--------------------
Why shouldn't the truth be stranger than fiction?
Fiction, after all, has to make sense. -- Mark Twain

OfflineKickleM
Wanderer
 User Gallery

Re: The Evolutionary Psychology of Bullying [Re: Kickle]
    #12195302 - 03/13/10 01:31 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

Not to mention "small" and "weak" are terms relative to your idea of what evolution is rewarding. You can have "small" social standing and be picked on because of it. In that case, evolution could be viewed as rewarding those with a higher social standing. Or that you're too "weak" of a leader to rally a defense. A wide variety of traits could be taken into account with an evolutionary model.

I think physical size is less important in the modern age than it has been in the past, but that doesn't mean it still doesn't play a role.

--------------------
Why shouldn't the truth be stranger than fiction?
Fiction, after all, has to make sense. -- Mark Twain

OfflineShroomzoom622
Whole lot of nothing

Re: The Evolutionary Psychology of Bullying [Re: Kickle]
    #12195406 - 03/13/10 01:49 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

Kickle said:
Being the runt of the litter can cause strange social behavior just as much as strange social behavior can cause bullying :shrug:

Your physicality interacts with the environment and helps shape your psychology.

I was speaking mostly from experience that those who are bullied are done so because they do not know how to appropriately act with those that would be bullies. The easiest way to stop being bullied isn't by standing up to them, but by befriending them. In the real world bullies can be anyone, small, stupid, smart, big, fat, scrawny, it doesn't matter, all that matters is that they don't like you, and in reality, everyone is a bully to someone at some point.

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#12195486 - 03/13/10 02:07 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

you're a bully

--------------------

OfflineHippieChick8
seeker of justice
Female

Loc: Texas
    #12195526 - 03/13/10 02:16 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

Shroomzoom said:
Quote:

I was speaking mostly from experience that those who are bullied are done so because they do not know how to appropriately act with those that would be bullies.

I don't think bullying is "appropriate" behavior.  Bullies seem to have one thing in common, they are all immature.

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: The Evolutionary Psychology of Bullying [Re: HippieChick8]
    #12195531 - 03/13/10 02:17 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

and your posts are immature :satansmoking:

--------------------

OfflineShroomzoom622
Whole lot of nothing

#12195538 - 03/13/10 02:19 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

Mr. Cypher said:
and your posts are immature :satansmoking:

I really don't like you and am very glad there is an ignore feature...see you never.

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#12195544 - 03/13/10 02:20 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

:bye:

--------------------

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

Loc: red panda village
    #12195628 - 03/13/10 02:49 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

Look what you did, you made him butthurt! :frown:
:noob: has a boo boo now.

--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: The Evolutionary Psychology of Bullying [Re: MushroomTrip]
    #12195669 - 03/13/10 03:02 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

Be careful, you might end up on his ignore list too.  :krang:

--------------------

OfflineShroomzoom622
Whole lot of nothing

#12195699 - 03/13/10 03:08 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

Mod Edit: If you have nothing but childish name calling to contribute, stay out of PS&P.

Consider this your warning.

Edited by Diploid (03/13/10 06:52 PM)

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#12195702 - 03/13/10 03:09 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

--------------------

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

Loc: red panda village
    #12195810 - 03/13/10 03:30 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

Mr. Cypher said:
Be careful, you might end up on his ignore list too.  :krang:

I stopped counting from 5. :lol:

--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#12195813 - 03/13/10 03:30 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

36 is pretty ridiculous.  :congrats:

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #12197068 - 03/13/10 08:05 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

Shroomzoom622 said:
Quote:

Kickle said:

I was speaking mostly from experience that those who are bullied are done so because they do not know how to appropriately act with those that would be bullies. The easiest way to stop being bullied isn't by standing up to them, but by befriending them. In the real world bullies can be anyone, small, stupid, smart, big, fat, scrawny, it doesn't matter, all that matters is that they don't like you, and in reality, everyone is a bully to someone at some point.

Why would one have to befriend a bully? A lot of bullies are unlikable, anyways, and there's a reason why many kids do not want to be friends with them, which further influences the bully to be an asshole to those kids.

It's almost like you're trying to justify bullying, and that bullying is the fault of the kids who are being bullied. :rolleyes:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

Edited by Poid (03/14/10 12:04 AM)

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#12198243 - 03/14/10 12:02 AM (14 years, 18 days ago)

Bullying is totally the fault of the kids being bullied, brah.

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #12198263 - 03/14/10 12:06 AM (14 years, 18 days ago)

Totally.  :zappa:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck