Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Laminar flow hood materials -- locally for $150 bucks
    #1212923 - 01/12/03 07:15 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

A foaf who is low on funds asked me what was the most frugal & quickest way to build a laminar flow hood for as few bucks as possible & with material he could get locally.

I browsed Home Depot & found EasyGardener polyspun bonded (polyester) landscape clothe (material like a filter disk) that they generally stock in 3 X 50 ft rolls for $20. This fabric would serve as a course pre/filter material.

Home Depot also generally has Honeywell TrueHepa (0.03 micron) replacement filters, stock # 21500 for $50 (+ or - a buck or 2). This will serve as a (round) hepa filter.

I also checked several auto parts stores & matched the Honeywell hepa filter with a Purolator Premium Plus automotive air filter (stock # A53384) that cost $7.

There you have it.

1. Course pre/filter material (cut to size) @ $20. (A ton more than you need)

2. Fine pre/filter (automotive round) @ $7. Use 2 & double stack = $14)

3. Honeywell true Hepa (round) @ $50.

With course pre/filter, then a space & then the fine pre/filter in front of -- or on top of another space & then the hepa filter, it will last a decade, or more.

That is all the filtration pieces you will ever need for around $85.

Browse Home Depot & eyeball all the 4 X 8 sheets of differing sheeting they have & you can find the sheeting & structural support material you need to build a pro grade laminar flow hood for cheap. If you are handy with hand tools.

Check out your local furnace repair & air/con repair shops. You can often find great used squirrel cage fans, perfect for this application, for under $25.

With a little ingenuity with these filters, you can build a KILLER flow hood for around $150 bucks in materials. Round filters are easy & simple to convert to this application.

6T

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
Re: Laminar flow hood materials -- locally for $150 bucks [Re: SixTango]
    #1212956 - 01/12/03 08:12 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Who are you?

Ohh yeah....I remember. Your the guy with all of the great inventions, modifications, and fabrications.

j/k

It's good to see you back. If/when I have some extra dough I may see about constructing a flow hood for myself. Home Depot is one of my favorite stores to browse for cultivation supplies...it looks like I might not be the only one.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Re: Laminar flow hood materials -- locally for $150 bucks [Re: Joshua]
    #1212994 - 01/12/03 08:59 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

How goes the battles Big J? Keeping your grades -- up?

Round automotive engine filters for big V 8's are dirt cheap & make great pre/filters.

The round hepa filter is the replacement filter for a big honeywell hepa that most Home Depots stock.

I had to laugh. Guy says cutting all those big round holes is going to be a pita.

I gave him a look & told him I would just center the filter, draw a circle around the inside of it with a pencil. Then drill a close pattern of one inch holes inside the circle, to allow air flow through them.

Then he says, how about cutting a round peice for plugging the top of the filter. That will be a pita. I bust out laughing & asked him. "Who says it has to be round, so long as it covers the top of the filter"

Then he asks, how would you hold the filters in place? Threaded rod through drilled holes & wing nuts. Simple as that.

Easy thing to put togather.

6T

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

#1213002 - 01/12/03 09:12 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I also figured out another little puzzle - I have been pondering.

How the hell can one stir a big thick liquid myc culture (without a magnetic stir plate), plus fragment the myc (so it will not plug syringes) in a closed sterilized jar.

I installed a tiny stainless steel bearing on a jar lid, with a thin stainless steel rod through it, extending almost to the bottom of a jar (with the end of the rod flattened a bit).

The exterior end of the rod protrudes above the outside of the top of the bearing & lid, about 1/2 inch.

All you do is attach a dremel tool to the top of the rod & spin it, at high speed for about 3 seconds.

Whips the myc around like a blender. Toilet flush simple, once you have the parts.

6T

--------------------

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
    #1213657 - 01/13/03 05:33 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

the HD here has some older HEPA filters just like the one your talking about (my HEPA uses the 21500) that are discontinued and they are selling them for $8.50!!! I have to admit that I'm a bit confused as to how you would attach the prefilter (round) to a squirell cage blower. also confused as to how this would classify as laminar or a hood. it's really just a homebrew filter to work in front of. you could achieve the same effect by working in front of a slightly modified home HEPA filter (may not even be necessary to modify depending on yours).

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Loc: in your house :)
Re: Laminar flow hood materials -- locally for $150 bucks [Re: debianlinux]
    #1214012 - 01/13/03 07:59 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

pics please? :smile:

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Laminar flow hood materials -- locally for $150 bucks [Re: socratesmind]
    #1214030 - 01/13/03 08:05 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I'm confused. pics of what? I'm thinking you meant to reply to 6T.

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

#1214426 - 01/13/03 10:52 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Eyeball this design.

Simply replace the flat prefilter with a round automotive one. They are less expensive, higher quality than furnace filters & have a rubber gasket seal top & bottom. Use plywood or any solid material over the top, to plug center hole.

Set pre/filter in place, draw a line with a pencil around the inside circle of it & drill a tight pattern of holes in the top plywood piece - inside that circle, to allow air flow into the next chamber. Pre/filter is held down by threaded rod & wing nuts, just like a round air cleaner, on a car.

Replace flat hepa filter with a round one (cheaper & available at most big Marts that carry brand name room size hepa filters. It would be situated, prepped & held in the same fashion as the pre/filter.

A hepa is a hepa. This is just LESS EXPENSIVE.

Is that not a hepa filtered laminar flow hood?

In the land of the blind, a one eyed man with sight is king.

6T

--------------------

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #1214453 - 01/13/03 11:02 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

>Is that not a hepa filtered laminar flow hood?

No, becuase I don?t think the flow in this way would still be laminar  :wink: 

Offlineroygbiv
zipperist

Loc: space is the place...
    #1214535 - 01/13/03 11:32 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

thanks for posting a schematic... thats exactly what ive been looking for (visual learner...)

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Re: Laminar flow hood materials -- locally for $150 bucks [Re: Anno]
    #1214562 - 01/13/03 11:41 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

The object here, is much lower cost & ease of getting getting these filters, at any store near you. Rather than mail order off the web.

The same laminar air flow effect be created by simply adding an evenly perferated baffle plate (as in plywood with holes drilled in it) slightly below the hepa filter.

Mine personal one is 3 filtered. 1. course flat prefilter (filter fabric) , 2 round automotve filter; 3 over a flat hepa filter.

It is tested with a magnahelic gauge once or twice a month & the flow is even.

With a round hepa filter, the flow may not be as even (without a baffle plate in place under it). But, I would surmise it filters as well & the flow is consistant, enough so that any differance would be of no significance.

6T

--------------------

Offlineviscid
dikaryon
I'm a teapot

Loc: the mycological center of...
    #1214705 - 01/13/03 12:38 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

the flow hood design is bomb, but do you have a pic of your dremel/bearing/rod device?
sounds hot. :grin: 

--------------------
You do not know me.

You can't see me.

InvisibleEffedS
 User Gallery

Loc: Daylight Slavings
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: viscid]
    #1214917 - 01/13/03 01:54 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Re: Laminar flow hood materials -- locally for $150 bucks [Re: Effed]
    #1215381 - 01/13/03 04:59 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Will post a pic of the mixing gizmo, asap. G/F went to the beach, for a vacation (with her family) & borrowed my DigCam for the trip.

6T

--------------------

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #1216161 - 01/13/03 10:50 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

I also figured out another little puzzle - I have been pondering.

How the hell can one stir a big thick liquid myc culture (without a magnetic stir plate), plus fragment the myc (so it will not plug syringes) in a closed sterilized jar.

I installed a tiny stainless steel bearing on a jar lid, with a thin stainless steel rod through it, extending almost to the bottom of a jar (with the end of the rod flattened a bit).

The exterior end of the rod protrudes above the outside of the top of the bearing & lid, about 1/2 inch.

All you do is attach a dremel tool to the top of the rod & spin it, at high speed for about 3 seconds.

Whips the myc around like a blender. Toilet flush simple, once you have the parts.

6T 

It's been done before...over a year ago there was a post that a guy made with pictures of his device.
I was going to make one like his...went back to look at the pictures and he deleted his post. :crazy:
He used a blade system on the bottom....only thing different than what your describing.

I'd love to make one...but I don't have access to a welding shop these days.

It's a great idea!

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

#1216527 - 01/14/03 04:08 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

If you have any worry about volume that will pass through a round automotive filter. Since they are so cheap (as in $7 to $15 bucks each). Buy two (2) & double stack them.

6T

--------------------

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #1216535 - 01/14/03 04:14 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Double stack? You mean mount side by side?

Edit: Oh you mean the round ones....stack, ok...

Edited by Anno (01/14/03 04:14 AM)

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1216589 - 01/14/03 04:39 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

the pic cleared up a lot. I thought you were saying to just take the round hepa and put two pieces of plywod on it (one on top and the other on the bottom held together via threaded bolt/wingnut) dill holes in the top plywood, attach blower to top piece over holes. this would be extremely crude and blow air out in 360 degrees. no laminar flow, and you can see that the prefilter would be a problem. it would, however, be possible to construct it for a very low cost and in a matter of minutes. thanks for the clarification.

Invisiblei am e goldstein
Your Friend

Loc: 4 Blocks from Ground Zero
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: SixTango]
    #1217135 - 01/14/03 07:32 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------
Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.
3DSHROOMS is either clueless or the worlds biggest SCUMBAG
I lie and exagerate constantly... God Bless America!

Edited by i am e goldstein (01/14/03 07:33 AM)

Offlinehsalf
bad O lover
Loc: not from around here
    #1217151 - 01/14/03 07:39 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

re: mixing gizmo
Why not attach a magnetic bar to your dremel?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order