Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
Advertising going to an all-time low
    #1212219 - 01/12/03 04:36 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

http://www.maisonneuve.org/print_article.php?article_id=5

After the read, hopefully you won't be fooled by this new type of "reality" advertising.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

Loc: BC Canada
Re: Advertising going to an all-time low [Re: chodamunky]
    #1212383 - 01/12/03 05:47 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

It's pretty fucked up shit...like robbing you instead of with a gun, with psycology.

Talk about the fucking liars out there nowadays.

--------------------
  -I'd rather have a frontal lobotomy than a bottle in front of me

CANADIAN CENTER FOR POLICY ALTERNATIVES

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #1212470 - 01/12/03 06:13 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I don't see the problem. Presumably the example they give is about Red Bull energy drink. I had never heard of it until about three or four years ago when a bunch of Swedish tourists started asking for it at the bar where I worked. We started stocking it, and sold a ton of the stuff. I tried it myself, both on its own and as a mix, and I didn't like it. I stuck with my good old rum and coke.

A few of the regulars at the bar tried it and switched from their regular drink to Vodka/Red Bull. But most of the others were like me... they tried it, said "interesting, but not very", and went back to their usual fare.

Since I have no TV and rarely get magazines here, almost all of the new things I try I hear about through word of mouth. It doesn't matter to me WHY someone tells me about some new product -- what matters is whether it's better than what I'm using currently. I've had people rave to me about how great this or that gizmo is, and when I try it, sometimes I agree with their opinion, sometimes I don't.

The average person isn't going to switch over from Mama Mia spaghetti sauce to Dat's Amor-ay spaghetti sauce just because some hottie tells him SHE eats it anymore than a Pabst beer drinker will switch over to Molson Ex for the same reason. If the stuff is genuinely a good product, or at least no worse than the stuff I'm using now, that person did me a favor by bringing it to my attention. If it's crap, I just shrug my shoulders and go back to whatever I was using before I'd heard of it.

It seems there are an awful lot of people posting in this forum who have no confidence in their ability to decide what is good or bad unless some commercial gives them guidance -- almost as many as those who say they DO trust their OWN judgement, but that the other people "out there" are not as smart as they are.

What a dismal view to hold of your fellow man -- that they are nothing more than brainwashable zombies.

pinky

--------------------

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Re: Advertising going to an all-time low [Re: Phred]
    #1213870 - 01/13/03 09:07 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

What a dismal view to hold of your fellow man -- that they are nothing more than brainwashable zombies.

As sad as that sounds, for the most part it is the truth. People these days work long hard days, they get home and just wanna relax so they turn on the tube or pick up a newspaper, and then they are fed a bunch crap the goverment and corportations wanna give them. It's not that they are ignorant stupid zombies, its just that they are too tired to question it, it's just easier to accept what you are told then go out of your way to think for yourself. What I don't like about this new type of advertising, is that the people you meet that sell you this stuff, are really faking their friendship to you, it's their job to be a faker inorder to sell you shit. They are treating you like a subhuman, they think we are just some consumer that will spit out money to buy their products. Now you tell me if what they are doing is " a dismal view to hold of your fellow man -- that they are nothing more than brainwashable zombies."

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#1214903 - 01/13/03 03:51 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

It's not that they are ignorant stupid zombies, its just that they are too tired to question it, it's just easier to accept what you are told then go out of your way to think for yourself.

But YOU, chodamunky, are not too tired to question it. YOU don't take the easy way out and accept what you are told, you think for yourself, right? Why is it you don't find it odd that YOU can do that, but "for the most part" others can't? What special attributes do YOU possess (but others don't) that allows YOU to retain your sense of skepticism after working long hard days?

pinky

--------------------

Anonymous

#1216096 - 01/13/03 11:25 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I have a description of a study in one of my textbooks that says that a bunch of people rated a car - half saw the car with a woman in lingerie next to it and half saw it with no woman, and the ones who saw the woman said the car was more attractive, better designed, more expensive, faster and less safe. Though all but one swore that the woman didn't influence their ratings.

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
    #1216468 - 01/14/03 05:33 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

I don't see the problem. Presumably the example they give is about Red Bull energy drink. I had never heard of it until about three or four years ago when a bunch of Swedish tourists started asking for it at the bar where I worked. We started stocking it, and sold a ton of the stuff. I tried it myself, both on its own and as a mix, and I didn't like it. I stuck with my good old rum and coke.

I agree Pinky, that ultimately the decision is yours whether you like the product or not and if you will continue using it. But the point is that you DID try it...and stocked your bar with it, hence providing others the opportunity to try it....if per chance those Swedes were actually employees of "big fat" then it was a total success for them.

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: Advertising going to an all-time low [Re: Rono]
    #1216755 - 01/14/03 07:25 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Rono writes:

But the point is that you DID try it...and stocked your bar with it, hence providing others the opportunity to try it...

I persuaded the owner of the bar to stock it because the customers wanted it. For months I had to regretfully tell the Swedes and other Europeans, "Sorry -- we don't have any. You want a vodka orange instead? It's fresh-squeezed every day." Once we stocked Red Bull it I was able to attract more customers, and keep them there longer, and make more money from each customer. It's just like if I had a bunch of people who wanted to hear Metallica, I would play Metallica.

...if per chance those Swedes were actually employees of "big fat" then it was a total success for them.

They weren't. It's just that the Europeans got into the whole "energy drink" thing before it was common in the Caribbean. But even if they were employees of Red Bull, my point is that NO ONE WAS HARMED. The bar owner made more money, the employees made more money, the customers got what they wanted. I ask you to point out a loser in the scenario.

pinky

--------------------

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

#1216765 - 01/14/03 07:28 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

I ask you to point out a loser in the scenario.

Red Bulls competition...

--------------------

Edited by Rono (01/14/03 07:29 AM)

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: Advertising going to an all-time low [Re: Rono]
    #1216783 - 01/14/03 07:34 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Red Bulls competition...

You mean Red Bull's imitators. At that time, there WAS no competition, at least not in the Dominican Republic. Within a few months, there was an American competitor (Battery) and a Dominican competitor (Ciclon), and within a year there were several more. Red Bull INVENTED the energy drink and there was a bigger demand for it, but for a while we switched over to Ciclon because it was cheaper. After a while we stocked all three.

pinky

--------------------

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

#1216801 - 01/14/03 07:40 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I just used that as an example...the point is that while I may not have a problem with these type of business tactics, obviously the competition does...so unless they develop the same tactics, they will get left behind...which is a shame since a product will no longer be able to make money on it's own merit...but because of shady advertising tactics...oh wait..I guess this is nothing new after all...

--------------------

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

#1216941 - 01/14/03 08:17 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

What special attributes do YOU possess (but others don't) that allows YOU to retain your sense of skepticism after working long hard days?

That is irrelevant to the point I was trying to make, PM me I'll gladly tell you. I am happy for you and the store, that yall got the drink that everyone wants and the there is good business going on, but you seem to miss my point entirely. I am forced to resign my argument since I would be just repeating myself. If you have no problems with this advertising tactic, then that's fine, but I personally don't want to meet people who are put there to sell me products.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion