Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMaruta
Acolyte
Re: Easy-Hole Lid Tek [Re: zigzag]
    #12473323 - 04/28/10 06:48 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Ah yeah that is more or less it. So a single 1/4" hole (made with a hole puncher) is sufficient for gas exchange? I was going to go with 2-4 but if a single hole is enough then even better (less work, less materials, what is not to like?). Sorry for all these clarification questions if they seem dense or repetitive. I just like to be as clear and unambiguous as possible.

By the way, superb diagram. It is easily one of the best ones I have seen here. You even captured the light reflection on the jar.

--------------------
All threads, replies, posts, and material made by this account are fictitious and not to be taken literally.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleStillmatic9142
Learner
 User Gallery

Re: Easy-Hole Lid Tek [Re: Maruta]
    #12473333 - 04/28/10 06:50 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Yes one is enough.

--------------------
In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists & will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals so that security and liberty may prosper together.

-former President & 5 Star General, Dwight D Eisenhower's farewell address to the Nation

Offlinezigzag
Eating Wolf Pussy

Loc: The Mortuary Flag
Re: Easy-Hole Lid Tek [Re: Stillmatic9142]
    #12473486 - 04/28/10 07:17 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

thanks maruta! i made it up especially for you!

and yeah one hole seems to work fine, i've been using them that way for a while now without any ill effects.

before that i would punch two holes and silicone one of the to make an injection port so only one was used for GE anyway.

the reason i went to a one hole lid was because i always seemed like i ran out of siliconed lids and it takes a good day or so to let them dry. plus it's messy.

one hole in the lid, tyvek over top. inject right through the tyvek and have a piece of tape ready to put over the hole. if you use an alcohol swab, use 91% so it evaporates of the tyvek quickly enough that you can get a piece of tape to stick.

--------------------
.....just shuckin' and jivin' with my extremely large penis!

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #12474894 - 04/28/10 11:54 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Make sure you use breathable tape like micropore or bandaids if you only use one hole.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinezigzag
Eating Wolf Pussy

Re: Easy-Hole Lid Tek [Re: scatmanrav]
    #12475871 - 04/29/10 07:15 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
Make sure you use breathable tape like micropore or bandaids if you only use one hole.

what he said..

--------------------

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Loc: ation is turned off.
Trusted Cultivator
    #12555728 - 05/13/10 02:29 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Hey Zig.
Nice tip.
Picked this up @ a local pawn shop today for a quarter.

Old and made in the U.S.A.
Instantly, thought of you and this tip. (gotcha) lol

Grabbed them, brought them home, they work like a charm.

I am no stranger to the nail, hammer, tyvek, and RTV sealant or silicone tek.

Zig Zag's tip is way less work intensive.

--------------------

How I Get Stuff done. - My Reference Guide. - My Grows.

Offlinezigzag
Eating Wolf Pussy

Re: Easy-Hole Lid Tek [Re: hamloaf]
    #12556018 - 05/13/10 03:26 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

cool! glad you like it ham.

you really got it at a pawn shop?

who the hell pawns a hole punch?:lol::laugh2:

--------------------

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Loc: ation is turned off.
Trusted Cultivator
    #12565507 - 05/15/10 01:21 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Haha.
Yes.
In our local pawn-shops they have bins full of used hand tools, sockets and socket wrenches for a quarter a piece. Sometime people pawn big tool bags and cases full of random hand tools and related shit. The pawn shops just throw all these tools, that are not in sets in bins @ random and BOOM, new used hole punch for ole' Hammy. :thumbup:

Who the hell pawns their tools is a very good question. Not people who make a living with their tools. Most likely stolen off a job-site or out of somebodies garage. Had a few tool pouches and bags walk off the job-site with mostly Klein Tools in them.

--------------------

How I Get Stuff done. - My Reference Guide. - My Grows.

Offlinezigzag
Eating Wolf Pussy

Re: Easy-Hole Lid Tek [Re: hamloaf]
    #12566540 - 05/15/10 09:29 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

i wish we had pawn shops around here, my grandfather was always trying to get the township to give him approval to start one but they wouldn't. they said because it's a college town it would lead to more crime. they were prob correct.

yeah, i know how that goes. we had a job box on site on time and came in after a weekend to find that someone torched a hole right through the side and grabbed what they could. i got lucky and only lost a couple kleins. a pair of strippers, linesmans and a pair of wire cutters. not too bad compared to the other guys...:thumbdown: it's not fun having tools lifted, especially when they become some of your favorites!

--------------------

Edited by zigzag (05/15/10 09:31 AM)

InvisibleBarakanaten
Ama-gi
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: PNW Mycosphere( Blessed C...
    #12566738 - 05/15/10 10:33 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Nice and Simple:smile::thumbup:

--------------------
:mushroomgrow:New to cultivation? :sunny: Have a Question?:mushroomgrow:
Because AMU We Q&A Know
AMU Genetic Library
  Easy Felt
  AMU
:blueangel:
Official PNW Mushroom Hunting Season 2011
"...Though in all else he may be as Saintly as St. Francis, in the pursuit of these ends he is more
Satanic than Satan. He will betray his nearest and dearest without the slightest twitch of flesh or spirit.
He is amoral."
-Definition of a mushroom hunter by ~Angelo Pellegrini
:gallery: :omgawesome: :gallery:

OfflineDharmatripper
Deceased

Loc: Over here
Re: Easy-Hole Lid Tek [Re: Barakanaten]
    #12567152 - 05/15/10 12:24 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

4 months ago--I bought home a hole bunch from corporate-mart and happily laid out a couple dozen jar lids--was super excited about how easy this was going to be and....

Damn near broke my hand trying to squeeze hard enough.  I couldn't get it to puncture through even by bracing it and slamming my weight on it (I'm not a little guy). 

So, maybe the cheapest of the cheapy hole punches is not where it's at=spend two dollars instead of 98 cents maybe?

I eventually used a heavy duty hole punch (one built for up to 50 sheets) and it went through like a charm.

I also tried to use a cheap leather hole bunch (for belts and things) but that didn't work super well either.  I had to use way to much force.

FYI

--------------------
This is not me...

OfflineSpencerPhillips
Male User Gallery

Loc: ON, Canada Flag
Re: Easy-Hole Lid Tek [Re: Dharmatripper]
    #16892009 - 09/22/12 12:23 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Dollar Store hole punch which I stole, FAILED.

Not discounting that this works but unless I find a better hole punch it isn't going to yet.

--------------------
Come on put it up! Woooo!

OfflineSmokinErb
Stranger
Re: Easy-Hole Lid Tek [Re: SpencerPhillips]
    #16892072 - 09/22/12 12:35 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Way to brag about stealing a $1 hole punch on a 2 year old thread.    Look out guys, we got a badass over here.  :rolleyes:

Regarding to the thread - please do not use your bare hand to hold those lids while drilling.  The drill bit will catch every now and then and send the lid spinning, they're quite sharp and will leave you needing stitches.

Invest in a pair of something like this -  http://www.walmart.com/ip/Grip-54680-Latex-Covered-Work-Gloves/21749930

They'll give you a better grip on the lids, keep them from slicing your fingers open, and they're useful for handling hot jars out of the PC as well.  Don't hold onto 'em for too long though, as the latex heats up after 5 seconds or so (and holds the heat for a few seconds).  Long enough to screw the lid down and give it a quick shake, though.

I've had the same pair for oh.. 3 years now?  I use them in my kitchen too as an oven mitts.

Edited by SmokinErb (09/22/12 12:36 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates