Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCorrosiveLiquid
Amature Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth
is this PC any good for $50?
    #12104273 - 02/26/10 07:13 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------
"In order to be a leader, you must FIRST be a follower!"

"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, None but ourselves can free our minds."
"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, Wisdom is better than silver and gold"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAlienTechKilla
iStalk

Folding@home Statistics
Re: is this PC any good for $50? [Re: CorrosiveLiquid]
    #12104292 - 02/26/10 07:15 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Man that's an antique and at &70 w/ shipping, it's kinda steep. My 30qt AA is probably 20years old and I picked it up locally for about $10. I think you should spend a little more on a new Presto (walmart) or something personally.

atk

Edited by AlienTechKilla (02/26/10 07:17 PM)

OfflineCorrosiveLiquid
Amature Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Re: is this PC any good for $50? [Re: AlienTechKilla]
    #12104390 - 02/26/10 07:30 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

AlienTechKilla said:
Man that's an antique and at &70 w/ shipping, it's kinda steep. My 30qt AA is probably 20years old and I picked it up locally for about $10. I think you should spend a little more on a new Presto (walmart) or something personally.

atk

im hoping to get it for $29.99 + $20 s+h if anything.

--------------------

"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, None but ourselves can free our minds."
"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, Wisdom is better than silver and gold"

Offlinefungisfarmer
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #12104412 - 02/26/10 07:32 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I would think you could get something that looks nicer for 50 bucks. that or just save up a little more to get something new.  I would be afraid of having to replace stuff on something that old. Haha and it just looks nasty

OfflineCorrosiveLiquid
Amature Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Re: is this PC any good for $50? [Re: fungisfarmer]
    #12104484 - 02/26/10 07:42 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

i think it looks well built and strong but i dont know anything about them.

--------------------

Offlinestalk_of_fennel
Stranger
 User Gallery

#12104659 - 02/26/10 08:14 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

newer pressure cookers have an emergency rubber pressure release stopper.  if the regular valvue gets clogged the emergency rubber stopper will pop out and release all the pressure before the cooker explodes.  i think thats the only reason i wouldnt buy that pressure cooker.

Invisibleanti-flag
one man army

Re: is this PC any good for $50? [Re: stalk_of_fennel] * 1
    #12104715 - 02/26/10 08:23 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

come on man. take a look at that piece of crap. it looks like it was in a house fire! the pc is the most money your really going to spend in this hobbie. That piece of crap will take hours to clean. i doubt it even works and still have all the pieces! just buy a brand spanking new presto or aa. I got my prest send to me in the mail brand new for 87 bucks.

--------------------
DISCLAIMER * I do not, in any way, shape or form buy, sell, trade, cultivate, manufacture or use ANY illegal or questionable substance. Any and all postings made from my trade name or user name is purely for entertainment purposes. Any pictures uploaded under my trade name or user name have been created by artificial means and/or from images gathered from the internet and other sources. ANY STATEMENTS MADE ARE FORMED FROM THEORY AND REGURGITATED FROM SOURCES FOUND ON THE INTERNET AND/OR BOOKS, MEDIA AND FILMS, and should not, in any way, be considered truth

Offlinefungisfarmer
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: is this PC any good for $50? [Re: anti-flag]
    #12104733 - 02/26/10 08:26 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

anti-flag said:
come on man. take a look at that piece of crap. it looks like it was in a house fire! the pc is the most money your really going to spend in this hobbie. That piece of crap will take hours to clean. i doubt it even works and still have all the pieces! just buy a brand spanking new presto or aa. I got my prest send to me in the mail brand new for 87 bucks.

pretty much. :thumbup:

and I got a 23qt presto for 74 bucks with free overnight shipping. Unless your gonna make a martha a pressure cooker is the main investment to grow mushrooms so you definitely don't wanna fuck that up. Especially since whatever you get new is going to last forever. Even the cheap presto ones. every part on them is replaceable.

Also the add doesn't even state that it actually works.

OfflineFreakdaddy
Trusted
 User Gallery

#12104751 - 02/26/10 08:30 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

CorrosiveLiquid said:
i think it looks well built and strong but i dont know anything about them.

A-hem.

Offlinezigzag
Eating Wolf Pussy

Loc: The Mortuary Flag
Re: is this PC any good for $50? [Re: Freakdaddy]
    #12104886 - 02/26/10 08:49 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

looks like you already bid on that one huh?  well, we all make mistakes...  look at it this way now you have something decent to pasteurize stuff like hpoo or straw.  for the love of baby jesus, don't try and bring that thing up to pressure.  don't use it as a pc, for one that gauge is prob. shot, so i wouldn't trust it.  better to buy new if your not too familiar with pc's. you very well might end up spending more money trying to get that back in working order than you would have spent just buying a new one.

--------------------
.....just shuckin' and jivin' with my extremely large penis!

Invisibleanti-flag
one man army

Re: is this PC any good for $50? [Re: zigzag]
    #12104923 - 02/26/10 08:54 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

zigzag said:
looks like you already bid on that one huh?  well, we all make mistakes...  look at it this way now you have something decent to pasteurize stuff like hpoo or straw.  for the love of baby jesus, don't try and bring that thing up to pressure.  don't use it as a pc, for one that gauge is prob. shot, so i wouldn't trust it.  better to buy new if your not too familiar with pc's. you very well might end up spending more money trying to get that back in working order than you would have spent just buying a new one.

"for the love of jesus,don't try and bring that thing up to pressure.:lolsy:

--------------------
DISCLAIMER * I do not, in any way, shape or form buy, sell, trade, cultivate, manufacture or use ANY illegal or questionable substance. Any and all postings made from my trade name or user name is purely for entertainment purposes. Any pictures uploaded under my trade name or user name have been created by artificial means and/or from images gathered from the internet and other sources. ANY STATEMENTS MADE ARE FORMED FROM THEORY AND REGURGITATED FROM SOURCES FOUND ON THE INTERNET AND/OR BOOKS, MEDIA AND FILMS, and should not, in any way, be considered truth

Invisiblemyceleus_rex
seeker
Male User Gallery

Loc: alized
Re: is this PC any good for $50? [Re: fungisfarmer]
    #12105072 - 02/26/10 09:26 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I have a Ball Eclipse PC from the 30's, yes, 75 years old and its the shit!! No gaskets like an AA, built like a tank and thoroughly dependable. This might be great, but I can't say for sure. If you want to buy it, find out if it requires a gasket. Also, the dimensions listed (9" wide x 8" deep) make no sense, that's absurdly small. I can tell by the pics it's much larger. the model "18" most certainly refers to quart capacity.

Quote:

CorrosiveLiquid said:
Quote:

AlienTechKilla said:

atk

im hoping to get it for $29.99 + $20 s+h if anything.

$10 for an AA 930? That's an insane deal. If you hold out for that, you may never buy a PC!! Really, a deal like that is rare indeed.
Quote:

stalk_of_fennel said:
newer pressure cookers have an emergency rubber pressure release stopper.  if the regular valvue gets clogged the emergency rubber stopper will pop out and release all the pressure before the cooker explodes.  i think thats the only reason i wouldnt buy that pressure cooker.

These old PC's have spring-loaded over pressure valves which are quite simple and reliable.

Quote:

fungisfarmer said:
Quote:

anti-flag said:

pretty much. :thumbup:

and I got a 23qt presto for 74 bucks with free overnight shipping. Unless your gonna make a martha a pressure cooker is the main investment to grow mushrooms so you definitely don't wanna fuck that up. Especially since whatever you get new is going to last forever. Even the cheap presto ones. every part on them is replaceable.

Also the add doesn't even state that it actually works.

I paid $40 total for my antique Ball, and I wouldn't trade it for a new presto in a million years!!  The biggest issue I have with this PC you're looking at is whether it has a gasket-free seal like an AA (it probably does:thumbup:). The gauge is replaceable and it all looks pretty solid.

Here's mine, made circa 1937:

--------------------
Cervantes' sclerotia thread    Citric's self-healing lid tek  Agar's Grain LC  Breaking Up Spawn Jars

World's Ugliest Cat?

If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people?

OfflineTesticlease
Bipedal Hominid
Male

Loc: That Blue Planet
Re: is this PC any good for $50? [Re: myceleus_rex]
    #12105191 - 02/26/10 09:56 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Just because one guy brought home a dud grenade from the range and set it on the mantle for the family to look at for years does not mean yours wont go off right away.  :peace::pipesmoke:

--------------------
"This too will pass."

Invisiblemyceleus_rex
seeker
Male User Gallery

Re: is this PC any good for $50? [Re: Testiclease]
    #12105203 - 02/26/10 09:59 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Testiclease said:
Just because one guy brought home a dud grenade from the range and set it on the mantle for the family to look at for years does not mean yours wont go off right away.  :peace::pipesmoke:

Your point?

--------------------
Cervantes' sclerotia thread    Citric's self-healing lid tek  Agar's Grain LC  Breaking Up Spawn Jars

World's Ugliest Cat?

OfflineTesticlease
Bipedal Hominid
Male

#12105425 - 02/26/10 10:55 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

My point being someone may get lucky with an old one where others will not.

--------------------
"This too will pass."

Edited by Testiclease (02/26/10 10:56 PM)

Invisiblemyceleus_rex
seeker
Male User Gallery

#12105529 - 02/26/10 11:19 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Your use of the term "grenade" suggested a bit more than whether it would be any good or not.  Yes, PCs need to be treated with respect, but they only operate at about 15 psi or 2 atmospheres. A can of soda can easily exceed this. Exploding pressure cookers are extremely rare, in fact I have yet to read an account, and if I did  I would bet major stupidity was involved. With an old PC especially, inspect it carefully and bring it up to pressure slowly. Just use some common sense.

--------------------

World's Ugliest Cat?

Offlinepdxgal79
Stranger
 User Gallery

#12105551 - 02/26/10 11:27 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Too 'spensive; I found my 15q AA at Good Will for $14.99.  Keep an eye out on craigslist (also search for "canner") and at secondhand stores.

Invisiblemyceleus_rex
seeker
Male User Gallery

Re: is this PC any good for $50? [Re: pdxgal79]
    #12105580 - 02/26/10 11:33 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yea, the price is borderline. If the OP already bid and it works out, it could be a darn nice PC, but I wouldn't risk paying more. Vintage can be great, though.

--------------------

World's Ugliest Cat?

OfflineTesticlease
Bipedal Hominid
Male

#12105768 - 02/27/10 12:47 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

myceleus_rex said:
Your use of the term "grenade" suggested a bit more than whether it would be any good or not.  Yes, PCs need to be treated with respect, but they only operate at about 15 psi or 2 atmospheres. A can of soda can easily exceed this. Exploding pressure cookers are extremely rare, in fact I have yet to read an account, and if I did  I would bet major stupidity was involved. With an old PC especially, inspect it carefully and bring it up to pressure slowly. Just use some common sense.

Yes I think a grenade is a  much more accurate comparison than a soda can. Whether you read any reports or not makes no difference to the fact that the old ones are potentially very dangerous. You got to remember its not the normal operation that causes overpressure. Its the odd things like an unfolded bag or some tinfoil clogging the steam vent. A sudden ramp in pressure with no other safety devices like the old ones can only end one way. I wanted an old one I could fix up till I read up and changed my mind to a big, new, safe, 23qt Presto that has 100 yr history of making pressure cookers.

--------------------
"This too will pass."

Edited by Testiclease (02/27/10 01:24 AM)

Invisiblemyceleus_rex
seeker
Male User Gallery

#12106488 - 02/27/10 07:51 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Many of these vintage PCs, like my Ball, have multiple and replaceable safety devices. From pics I've seen, it looks like the Wards do too. Presto used to be known as National, and made some really nice AA style PCs at one time.

--------------------

World's Ugliest Cat?

OfflineTesticlease
Bipedal Hominid
Male

#12107489 - 02/27/10 11:43 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

myceleus_rex said:
Many of these vintage PCs, like my Ball, have multiple and replaceable safety devices. From pics I've seen, it looks like the Wards do too. Presto used to be known as National, and made some really nice AA style PCs at one time.

Hey didnt you show me a pic one time of several old pressure cookers, one of them being this really curios looking thing that had a strap in the middle, called a Burpee?

--------------------
"This too will pass."

Invisiblemyceleus_rex
seeker
Male User Gallery

#12107540 - 02/27/10 11:51 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I've made a few posts regarding PCs, but that doesn't ring any bells.

--------------------

World's Ugliest Cat?

OfflineTesticlease
Bipedal Hominid
Male

#12107727 - 02/27/10 12:18 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------
"This too will pass."

Invisiblemyceleus_rex
seeker
Male User Gallery

#12107789 - 02/27/10 12:27 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

"will also make a nice water bowl for your pets" :lol:

I think I remember seeing a thread where someone had one of these. Yeah, I'd avoid anything other than AA style or the standard Presto type canner.

--------------------

World's Ugliest Cat?

OfflineTesticlease
Bipedal Hominid
Male

#12107828 - 02/27/10 12:32 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I am stroking my canner right now. Cooking up some agar, wbs later tonight. :peace:

--------------------
"This too will pass."

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Not Too Sure Flag
    #12107875 - 02/27/10 12:39 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

23qt presto brand new less than 100 bucks
shipped fight to your door
this will hold 10qt jars at a time

-noobie-

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:
not sure what GE and FAE are but i should probably get some.

Citric said:
Your signature is wrong on colonization temps!

GOOD JUDGMENT COMES FROM EXPERIENCE
EXPERIENCE COMES FROM BAD JUDGMENT

ROOM TEMP 70-75 IS BEST FOR COLONIZATION
Thank you mycochef

OfflineTesticlease
Bipedal Hominid
Male

#12107932 - 02/27/10 12:49 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yep, $93.00 to the front door. Smartest money I have spent since I started this.

--------------------
"This too will pass."

InvisibleYellowDesertSun
Yellow Desert Sun
Male
Loc: Flag
    #12107963 - 02/27/10 12:55 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

My PC was 20 dollars and it works great for me.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies