Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBandit
Cultivator
Innoculating from colonized jar
    #1210226 - 01/11/03 05:43 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I have one almost 100% colonized will be in a day or so. And since I have already cased the others I started this one with, I wanted to innoculate other jars with this one instead of casing it by itself. I dont have a flow hood and dont really believe in the oven tek enough to use it. I was wondering if my presteralized bathroom just using lysol and alcohol as I do with normal innoculating would be fine with using a pre-colonized jar. Also I was wondering exactly how i would do this, i imagine it as either opening up the jar and putting pieces of colonized substrate in other jars. The other way i was thinking about would be to use a syringe and extract and innoculate like you would using the honey tek. I have never used the honey tek so i dont know about that. Any advice you have for me is welcomed and appreciated. If it would be better to just case the one jar as ill have more spores in a week so thats not really a problem. Thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBladeLSD
Squirrel Master

Re: Innoculating from colonized jar [Re: Bandit]
    #1210316 - 01/11/03 06:18 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

If your goal is to innoculate jars fairly soon, and you have a fully colonized cake then why case, and wait longer when you can fruit the cake, and get a print from one of your fruits. You could be innoculating jars in a couple weeks maybe shorter and have some fruits to eat in the mean time :grin:

--------------------
We might get glimpse's of objectivity every now, and then, but we're so inherently locked in our temporal and corporeal selves that we're irrevocably locked into subjectivity :crazy:

Offlinesirreal
devoid
Loc: In the borderlands
    #1210317 - 01/11/03 06:18 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I just inoculated some birdseed by transfering myc. from a rice cake the other day. Took a jar and filled it with sterile water, dropped a piece of myc. in and shook it. I filled the jar with 20 c.c.'s of water and some broken glass.I gleaned that technique off of some site. After filling the syringe, I inoculated. There is some growth. As for my setup I cut the bottom out of a cardboard box and taped plastic to it so i could see in it. I set all the supplies on the table and sprayed the area real good. I made sure everything that was going to touch the myc. was covered!I then sprayed the box real good and set it over the supplies with the bottom facing up. Oh , I cut holes in the side and taped the ends of longgl.to the outside. I used the flaps on the top(actually, the bottom now) to tack the box to the table. Simple , but effective. Time will tell if Its contaminated or not. Its going strong so far. Hope that helped a little.

--------------------
I may not always tell the truth, but atleast I'm honest
-----------

I see what everyone is saying. It is so hard to form an opinion when you see both sides so clearly!

Offlinemoorhsum
SEED MASTER

Loc: N America
    #1211106 - 01/12/03 03:26 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I do this quite a bit, I find live mycelium colinize jars quicker than spores in any form...
I just do it on my pre sterilized(as best I can)kitchen counter, I take up a peice of colonized substrate from a jar, using sterilized tweezers and a new knife blad, I slice the peice and break into many peices, then I just remove the cotton/tape covering a LARGER hole about the size of a pencil in my UNcolonized jar, and drop the small peices in, making sure they don't touch anything when they go down....They're already colonized so you don't worry about contams TOO much,
Once the peices of COLONIZED substrate are in the new jar, I just shake it up with the other grain and incubate till 100%,
Hope this isn't too confusing man...

--------------------
We are the counter-culturaly elite...

OfflineBandit
Cultivator
Re: Innoculating from colonized jar [Re: moorhsum]
    #1211639 - 01/12/03 09:40 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for all the help and good ideas, I was really looking for something exactly like moorhsum said so thanks for that and ill give it a try in a day or so.

OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

Loc: Inner Eye
    #1211790 - 01/12/03 11:04 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, all you have to do is go into a room thats clean with no draft.Take pieces from the colonised cake with sterilized tweezers and put them in your jar, shake, and do the same with every other jar. Birdseed jars work the best because you can shake it around......Oh yeah, and wear a dust mask to be extra sterile. :grin: 

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------

When it comes
I'll know, I know
Just take my clothes and leave
And I'll be gone

OfflineFred Garvin
Male Prostitute
Loc: The northern part of sout...
    #1211810 - 01/12/03 11:19 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

If you're using a pf cake to inoculate quart jars of grain, make sure all your equipment and surfaces are clean and sterilized as can be, spray down the air in the room with lysol, wear a mask and gloves. Then grate your pf cake on a cheese grater, and transfer the cake bits to your new jars. I do one cake to 4 or 5 qt jars. Simple and easy. As long as you are clean and work quickly and logically, you should have no contam problems, I haven't yet after many G2G transfers in this manner.

--------------------

The above statements are just the incoherent babblings of your friendly neighborhood Cracker!

Shur drinkin kils brane sells--but only the week ones!!

Offlinesirreal
devoid
Loc: In the borderlands
Re: Innoculating from colonized jar [Re: Northernsoul]
    #1211820 - 01/12/03 11:23 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I probably am guilty of being overlycautious. You probably don't need to make a box to work in if you have a clean environment. Being my first time I wanted to be extra neurotic...uh, I mean careful. :crazy: 

--------------------
I may not always tell the truth, but atleast I'm honest
-----------

I see what everyone is saying. It is so hard to form an opinion when you see both sides so clearly!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract