Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDr. trip right
info sponge

bulk mono substrate ??
    #12101391 - 02/26/10 11:15 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

hello to all once again it's been awhile.
so let me get to the point I've been doing rye grain spawned to horse manure for about a year now with good results. how ever i would like to step it up a notch and do a bulk mono tub. i have my substrate lined up witch consists of manure/verm/coir/brf/gypsum. my question is, what would be the best method to use? making a spawn bag or would i be safe using several pint jars of rye grain spawned to my pasteurized substrate seal it up and let it go? just wanna know what id run less risk of contams with. I'm not to familiar with spawn bags so i don't wanna fudge that up. were as spawning to manure and letting it go i have had great success. any input would be greatly helpful, thanks guys.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebootedboy
SpaceCowboy
 User Gallery

Re: bulk mono substrate ?? [Re: Dr. trip right]
    #12101529 - 02/26/10 11:36 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Just prepare your substrate like you normally would and instead of placing it in a tray or what have you, mix up the spawn and bulk and put it in your tub. Be sure to clean the tub really well and use a liner if it is clear to inhibit side pinning. Pop the lid on and let it roll. Oh, and by the way, I hope you are not using BRF in your bulk substrate as it is far too nutritious and will cause contams.

--------------------
Ask me about ARX!!!

OfflineMOPE
Walking Chemical Reaction

#12101550 - 02/26/10 11:40 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I use jars (either pint or quart) for my monotubs, youll be fine using them if you dont wanna do spawn bags.

on a side note, take the brf out of your bulk substrate, grains need to be sterilized before theyre used not pasteurized

--------------------
Got used to the feeling of falling
But you'll never see me following
Bouncing back and forth between the healing and the hollering
Riding the outer ring of my own private saturn
Thoughts scattered all across the grey matter

OfflineDr. trip right
info sponge

Re: bulk mono substrate ?? [Re: bootedboy]
    #12101555 - 02/26/10 11:41 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

thanks, i was just listing the items i have on hand for substrates, and the bottom of my tub is taped up and blocked from light about 4in up from the bottom if thats what you mean by liner.

OfflineDr. trip right
info sponge

#12101572 - 02/26/10 11:44 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

plus if i did add brf in my substrate before i pasteurized wouldn't it just make a mess or be useless anyhow?

OfflineMOPE

#12101580 - 02/26/10 11:46 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

it wouldnt make a mess, it would just make the risk of contams much higher

--------------------

OfflineDr. trip right
info sponge

Re: bulk mono substrate ?? [Re: MOPE]
    #12101618 - 02/26/10 11:52 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

makes sense, as far as gypsum i know adding 10% of my total substrate is okay, what are some good ratios if using coir/manure?

OfflineMOPE

#12101643 - 02/26/10 11:55 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

you could do 40/40/10/10 poo/coir/verm/gypsum  or something close to that.  you could also go to starbucks and get some spent coffee for free and throw it in there as well.

--------------------

OfflineDr. trip right
info sponge

#12101652 - 02/26/10 11:58 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Starbucks has the coffee recycling program or something of the sort isn't that correct? i have one just down the street

Offlinebootedboy
SpaceCowboy
 User Gallery

#12101653 - 02/26/10 11:59 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

It does not have to be exact. Just toss everything together and measure how many cups or quarts it is or what have you and then add 5 to 10% gypsum by volume based on that. All additives such as manure, coir, coffee and verm are mycelium food so just throw all of it in there. 10% vermiculite by volume helps prevent compaction and 5 to 10% spent coffee grounds will help speed up colonization. Starbucks will give you a huge bag of spent grounds for free or you can use your own if you drink coffee. Hope this helps.

--------------------
Ask me about ARX!!!

Invisibleanti-flag
one man army

Re: bulk mono substrate ?? [Re: bootedboy]
    #12101688 - 02/26/10 12:07 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

coir/verm works just fine my friend:thumbup:
no need to get all crazy with your sub mix on your first mono.
It will be hard to tell what went wrong if you have 3-5 different things in your sub. This is of course if something even went wrong.
Just stick with your coir and verm. It's all I use and never have problems:2cents:

--------------------
DISCLAIMER * I do not, in any way, shape or form buy, sell, trade, cultivate, manufacture or use ANY illegal or questionable substance. Any and all postings made from my trade name or user name is purely for entertainment purposes. Any pictures uploaded under my trade name or user name have been created by artificial means and/or from images gathered from the internet and other sources. ANY STATEMENTS MADE ARE FORMED FROM THEORY AND REGURGITATED FROM SOURCES FOUND ON THE INTERNET AND/OR BOOKS, MEDIA AND FILMS, and should not, in any way, be considered truth

OfflineDr. trip right
info sponge

Re: bulk mono substrate ?? [Re: anti-flag]
    #12104770 - 02/26/10 08:33 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

putting my sub, in my tub and spawning to it should work fine if i use a good amount of spawn? do i really need to mess with a bag besides the one covering the tub during colonization? also what would be the purpose of putting my sub in a bag? so i could pull it out once done flushing? or would it serve another purpose?

Invisibleanti-flag
one man army

#12104832 - 02/26/10 08:41 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I pm you and told you the reason. yet your asking again?

--------------------
DISCLAIMER * I do not, in any way, shape or form buy, sell, trade, cultivate, manufacture or use ANY illegal or questionable substance. Any and all postings made from my trade name or user name is purely for entertainment purposes. Any pictures uploaded under my trade name or user name have been created by artificial means and/or from images gathered from the internet and other sources. ANY STATEMENTS MADE ARE FORMED FROM THEORY AND REGURGITATED FROM SOURCES FOUND ON THE INTERNET AND/OR BOOKS, MEDIA AND FILMS, and should not, in any way, be considered truth

OfflineDr. trip right
info sponge

#12104957 - 02/26/10 09:01 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

yes that you did and i thank you kindly, i just wasn't clear about folding the edges so it didn't get wet, and dunking for a second flush. my apologies

Invisibleanti-flag
one man army

#12104988 - 02/26/10 09:07 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Dr. trip right said:
yes that you did and i thank you kindly, i just wasn't clear about folding the edges so it didn't get wet, and dunking for a second flush. my apologies

your tub is going to have moist water running down the sides. the water will end on the bottom of the tub. The bag is there for a few reasons. One of the reasons is so that when you curl the bag in toward the sub the water will miss it and run under the sides of the bag. You don't have to take the sub out and dunk if you don't want to. If you decide to do so,It's alot easyer to grab the corners of tha bag to lift the sub out. The bag will shrink with the sub the longer it sits in your mono. I like to get the most out of a mono so after my first flush I dunk. I dump my mono in the trash after the third flush because it just becomes a hotel for contam.

--------------------

Invisibleanonjon
Partially Right

#12105001 - 02/26/10 09:09 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

anti-flag said:
your tub is going to have moist water running down the sides. the water will end on the bottom of the tub. The bag is there for a few reasons. One of the reasons is so that when you curl the bag in toward the sub the water will miss it and run under the sides of the bag. You don't have to take the sub out and dunk if you don't want to. If you decide to do so,It's alot easyer to grab the corners of tha bag to lift the sub out. The bag will shrink with the sub the longer it sits in your mono. I like to get the most out of a mono so after my first flush I dunk. I dump my mono in the trash after the third flush because it just becomes a hotel for contam.

:thumbup: use a liner, you'll be glad u did.

--------------------
The above post is fictional, hypothetical, or downright nonsensical.

:moon:  :moon:  :moon:  :moon:    :moon:

OfflineDr. trip right
info sponge

#12105027 - 02/26/10 09:16 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

that is exactly what i was looking for, it makes sense, i did read in another tek tho not using a bag will keep the sub hydrated as the water returns down the side...? but you wouldn't want pooling water on your sub right, hence the bag, and still keeps humidity up, correct me if I'm wrong. I'm just excited to do a mono and wanna be totally prepaid.

Invisibleanonjon
Partially Right

#12105084 - 02/26/10 09:29 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

not using a bag results in an overly moist bottom. So u get the bottom of the sub starting to funkify from bacteria. Also the extra moisture at the bottom causes bottom pinning. It's dirtier overall and you'll get fewer clean flushes.

Also by using a liner you are giving yourself more leeway to screw up the moisture level. Excessive moisture ends up under the liner instead of drenching the bottom of the sub.

--------------------

Invisibleanti-flag
one man army

#12105087 - 02/26/10 09:29 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Dr. trip right said:
that is exactly what i was looking for, it makes sense, i did read in another tek tho not using a bag will keep the sub hydrated as the water returns down the side...? but you wouldn't want pooling water on your sub right, hence the bag, and still keeps humidity up, correct me if I'm wrong. I'm just excited to do a mono and wanna be totally prepaid.

if it's to damp/wet the myc will die/go away and not grow more. your sub is going to dry up no matter what you do. This is why after the first flush I dunk,let the bottle/distiled water soak into the sub and then place it back in the tub for the second flush:thumbup: some people just put tape some people put bags some people don't put anything under there sub at all:shrug: It's all up to you and how you want to grow my friend.

--------------------

OfflineDr. trip right
info sponge

#12105105 - 02/26/10 09:32 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

sounds good i just may get another tub and try both ways and see what way works best for me, thanks again if i could rate you yet i would

Invisibleanti-flag
one man army

#12105138 - 02/26/10 09:39 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Dr. trip right said:
sounds good i just may get another tub and try both ways and see what way works best for me, thanks again if i could rate you yet i would

you can,all you do is click on or mushrooms. then it will take you from there. Good luck and keep us posted:thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #12105397 - 02/26/10 10:45 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

For starters, forget mixing that all up. 
Quote:

Dr. trip right said:
hello to all once again it's been awhile.
so let me get to the point I've been doing rye grain spawned to horse manure for about a year now with good results. how ever i would like to step it up a notch and do a bulk mono tub. i have my substrate lined up witch consists of manure/verm/coir/brf/gypsum. my question is, what would be the best method to use? making a spawn bag or would i be safe using several pint jars of rye grain spawned to my pasteurized substrate seal it up and let it go? just wanna know what id run less risk of contams with. I'm not to familiar with spawn bags so i don't wanna fudge that up. were as spawning to manure and letting it go i have had great success. any input would be greatly helpful, thanks guys.

For starters, forget mixing your mannure/verm/coir/brf/gypsum up and colonizing it in a bag.

Start out normally.  Get some jars(Or bags if you want to use them.  If you are not using a TiT or some sort of incubator, bags are better since they produce more heat) and fill it with grain(WBS is best for bulk as it provides many more inoculation points).

Colonize the grain until it is 100%.  Then, mix up your bulk substrate(Forget using BRF.  Stick to verm/coir, and add your gypsum and or manure if you want.  Verm/coir works wonderful, but hpoo/straw mixture would work better.  Pasteurize this mixture of substrate, and empty it all into your tub, along with your colonized grain.  Save some of your substrate(Verm/coir or whatever you decide) to cover the top 1/4" of the tub(Leaving exposed grain can be problematic and lead to drying out and early contamination).  Cover this with some trash bags or a clean blanket for a few days.  As soon as the top is 100% colonized, lower the temps, introduce light and FAE, and begin the fruiting process.

Feel free to check my signature for my last grow log, I detailed pretty much everything I did almost step by step.

--------------------
Self Healing lid tek ** Update 10.17.17 **
Mini casing pictures: Pins to harvest
Cup O' Shrooms
Magash:  I noticed my contams were in the shape of fingers :whack:
Hyphae:  Yes  "Loss of moisture from the substrate"  is not a casing trigger.  :cuckoo:

My final Grow!

OfflineDr. trip right
info sponge

Re: bulk mono substrate ?? [Re: Citric]
    #12106462 - 02/27/10 07:42 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

So with all this info would outing a cap of peroxide under the bag of spawn be an alright idea?

Invisibleanonjon
Partially Right

#12107461 - 02/27/10 11:38 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

why dont you just follow a tek. h202 is not a substitute for sterile technique.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate