Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
Give me some tips to fight contams.
    #880583 - 09/12/02 12:29 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Okay heres the deal. I followed the Pf-Tek for Simple minds EXACTLY.

My kitchen wasn?t washed down before hand or anything, didnt think it was necessary.

For the first 15 days, everything went perfect, mycelium growth about 35-65% on all jars. NO CONTAMS.

Then I got cobweb mold on one jar....sooon spread to 7 jars. Now all MY jars have it. THere is also a yellow, sponge like growth, see picture.

So anyway.... heres what I figure I did wrong.

1. I let 6 of the jars cool by the A/C. Even though they were covered, I will NOT do this next time.

2. I didn?t isolate the contaminated jars. I kept them all together.

3. I didn?t sterilize my kitchen, or even do it in a clean place. Next time I?ll try to clean the kitchen up a bit more.

4. I lit incense, smoked weed in my room. My jars are in a box on top of my monitor. Think this may have been part of the problem?

Besides that, what else should I do? Again, I followed the Pf-Tek for Simple minds very closely, and I did all of their sterilization techniques.

Any help appreciated.

After my first grow, and being VERY careful and tryign VERY hard to make everything go perfect, I feel extremely down :frown: It really lowers my self-confidence as far as shroom cultivation goes, I don?t mean to sound lame :frown:

Thanks guys

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDobie
Dopeless Hopefiend
Male User Gallery
Loc: ON DA BLOCK
Re: Give me some tips to fight contams. [Re: tekramrepus]
    #880620 - 09/12/02 12:56 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

some houses are just contam proned like i did my jars all very very dirtily and didnt have one contam while in the jar but later like 4 or 5 flushes later this happened now i will be forever doomed when i try to grow anything here

--------------------
This place is gayer than when the balls touch

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
Re: Give me some tips to fight contams. [Re: Dobie]
    #880711 - 09/12/02 02:00 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

wow thats nasty.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #881054 - 09/12/02 07:56 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

It sounds like you have given this a lot of thought and all your changes sound good. Don't forget to clean yourself and your clothes before working with the jars. Make sure all fans and sources of air circulation are turned off a few hours before you work. Work up off the ground... most contamination is found within one foot of the ground. Don't handle the jars anymore than you have to after innoculation. Isolate any contaminated jars immediately away from the others. If you are reusing jars, soak them (along with the rings and lids) in a 10% bleach solution. Make sure your pressure cooker is clean on the outside. Don't be afraid to use 99% Isopropyl Alcohol (from the grocery store) to wipe everything down with as you are working. Wear gloves and short sleeve shirt while you work.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #881241 - 09/12/02 11:55 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Try making a glovebox, it ain't so hard to build one and it's perfect to reduce contam probabilities. Another tip, if you don't use an incubator and your jars are exposed to air drafts this could be bad, put them inside a plastic bag and make a knot, i do it even inside my incubator.
Don't feel down because you failled this time, you are very close to achieve success, you gained some more knowlodge with your errors, everybody goes thru some trial and error,  normally failure happens the first time or the second or the third time, it's a part of this hobbie when you begin. Keep it up, don't give up. :wink:

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

OfflineVermonster420
I gotta have more cowbell !
 User Gallery

Loc: Standin' On the Moon
Re: Give me some tips to fight contams. [Re: MAIA]
    #9069768 - 10/13/08 05:35 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Here's an idea I used instead of a glove box and it works great!  Take some garbage bags or clear plastic and duct tape them to your countertop and backsplash.  Then use more plastic to do two sides using tape and hang them from the kitchen cabinets.  Then make a front piece sized accordingly and simply cut an X in two places to slide your arms in.  Tape it all together and lysol the hell out of the inside, wait 5 minutes and you now have your disposable glovebox!!!  Tah DAH!  I would recommend wiping down all your counters and cabinets first with 10% bleach, 99% iso alcohol or surface disinfectant etc. 

Let me know what you think of this idea, and next time I put it up for inoculations I will take pics for yah.

--------------------
To thine own self be true.
That which does not kill me makes me stronger.
Ass...it's the NEW pussy!
"Gungah-DeGungah"

Invisiblejrock1019
The Not So Spotless Mind

Loc: Lights in the Sky
Re: Give me some tips to fight contams. [Re: Vermonster420]
    #9079205 - 10/14/08 11:20 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Don't feel down man, I just had the same thing happen. Except trich was my killer. Just change up some things and try again, thats all we can do. The feeling of getting it right is going to be much greater than just giving up!

Peace
JRock

--------------------

InvisibleCDS
 User Gallery

Loc: Grey Area
Re: Give me some tips to fight contams. [Re: jrock1019]
    #9080050 - 10/15/08 07:33 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Haha, this thread is 6 years old... But WTF...

Really you can't be too sterile when it comes to this hobby... That means wearing gloves and sanitizing them with alcohol whenever you take your arms out of the glovebox. Even if you don't touch anything in between, you can't be too careful. Get used to choking from all the fumes of whatever you spray with. And don't even think about opening a window, because then you will just be blowing millions of random bacteria through your work area. And that means no fans, no air conditioners, nothing! You want no drafts whatsoever, the air must be as still as possible so any contaminates in the air will fall to the floor and stay there. And after you spray the air with lysol or oust, give it some time for everything to settle, then get to work...

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery

Re: Give me some tips to fight contams. [Re: CDS]
    #12079843 - 02/22/10 08:16 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

Wow, this thread was from one of my first grows. 8+ years ago :smile: awwww

anyway, important info on contams - you can never be too safe

Offlinekmark
Stranger

#12087236 - 02/24/10 04:49 AM (14 years, 26 days ago)

i have had great success using tyvek over aluminum foil with a few holes poked in the foil, as well as a dab of silicone on top of the tyvek. Making sure to flame the needle and alcohol the injection port before each injection.  if you do this you can leave those injected jars anywhere without having to worry about contam

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds