Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
Re: The "Evils" of cloning [Re: upupup]
    #1196653 - 01/07/03 02:56 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Cloning, genetic egineering, why resist it? It will happen, you cant stop progress. It strikes me as funny to think that "we" are the ones doing the engineering! We are the product of DNA are we not? So perhaps DNA has just evolved a quicker way of manipulating itself? Sure mistakes and atrocities may occur, eggs and omlettes. Whats more important is the conciousness which we can collectively bring to the table.

oh yeah, there is no such thing as unnatural. Just things you feel comfartable with and things you dont. :grin: 

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineupupup
guardian

Loc: George "I love Hitler" Bu...
Re: The "Evils" of cloning [Re: GazzBut]
    #1198344 - 01/07/03 03:02 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Sonds like the reasoning of a person who has no stake in the future ie kids.... :smirk:

--------------------
Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have.

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

#1198368 - 01/07/03 03:19 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

It seems like it's natural for some people's DNA to oppose this as well....
its not that black & white...

I have this hunch we could be doing better things with our scientific research... This seems like some sort of celebrity pop version of technology.

Why are we even introducing this when people are still shitting themselves over abortion?
There's too many excitable kids running around... we gotta make sure they don't see the adult programming or they might go and kill some more doctors so their god will give them candy.

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Re: The "Evils" of cloning [Re: Grav]
    #1199171 - 01/07/03 08:58 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Upup -Dont really follow your reasoning there! although i havent got any kids of my own - i have a niece and nephew who i care for as if they were my own. and if, god forbid, one of them ever needed an organ id be more than happy for it to be a cloned one.

Grav - I think that there has to be opposistion as it tempers and modifies the original imperative. I just dont think that those resisting it are actually going to get their way and see a stop on all genetic engineering etc. What is it that seems "celeberity pop" to you about cloning? The areas and advances this could open up are beyond are wildest imaginings? What do you mean by excitable kids and adult programming?? Sorry, im still half asleep I think!

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Invisiblephreakyzen
My God is anAwesome God

Loc: Under the sea
Re: The "Evils" of cloning [Re: chemkid]
    #1199871 - 01/08/03 06:40 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I think cloning exact copies is boring. Lets look at the cloning of Elvis, if it were to happen would we really want Elvis back? Where does that leave diversity? Would all music become Elvis because it is desirable?

The same with cloning a desirable cow for it's meat qualities do you really want to eat the exact same piece of meat for the rest of your life? I think that this would be an evolutionary dead end but again there are many useful things to come from the technology just not exact copies.

I think we may come to the point of everlasting life from all this. We get to point where we are able to download all of our memories into our duplicates and carry on from there forever. Is it scary? sure it is but so was the printing press or any other technology that created major change in society. I do not think we should stop research because of the unknown but I agree that we should maybe evolve more spiritually before jumping in blindly. Once we cross the line it is impossible to go back and start over again. We will have to build from our mistakes if we can recover from them.

InvisibleSpiffy
Defender of theGnomes

Loc: Next to your mom
Re: The "Evils" of cloning [Re: chemkid]
    #1201953 - 01/08/03 05:31 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I definitely think some good could come from the technology, but humans are not ready. Spiritually, emotionally, physically...its not time for that yet. The point someone made about life as a clone with no family and being shunned is a scary thought....and a reality. If this organization who have supposedly made human clones turns out to be for real, I hope it is a learning experience and the LAST ones for a while. But I don't believe them...they seem a little crazy and the story keeps twisting...plus, they gain from the publicity...truth or not.

--------------------
Namaste: "I honour that place in you where the whole Universe resides. And when I am in that place in me and you are in that place in you,
there is only one of us."

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Re: The "Evils" of cloning [Re: Spiffy]
    #1202552 - 01/09/03 12:07 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

"I definitely think some good could come from the technology, but humans are not ready. "

Do you have a direct line to god?...can i have his number please?!

--------------------
Always Smi2le

InvisibleSpiffy
Defender of theGnomes

#1204665 - 01/09/03 02:41 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Cloning is serious business...its not something to fuck around with...and there are many people in this world who would use it irresponsibly. I don't think we should mess with this science until we've at least come to a point where we can understand it...all aspects of it such as long term effects.

--------------------
Namaste: "I honour that place in you where the whole Universe resides. And when I am in that place in me and you are in that place in you,

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Re: The "Evils" of cloning [Re: Spiffy]
    #1206946 - 01/10/03 10:44 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

How can we come to an understanding of something without messing around with it? Surely that is how science has always worked. Trial, error and experimentation.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
    #1207546 - 01/10/03 03:44 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

That's exactly what I ask alot.

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

InvisibleSpiffy
Defender of theGnomes

#1207984 - 01/10/03 07:00 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Do you think its fair to clone a human....imagine being that human. Imagine being born as an experiment...being poked and prodded and tested your whole life. You probably have numerous physical problems. You are not an individual but an exact copy of another person...you have no real family...you have no real identity. You are simply a scientific study. Would you want to live like that? Would you want a child to have to grow up like that? Would you like to live in a world where everyone looked the same...where everyone was a copy of someone else? I wouldn't!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom