Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinenesta
the Idiot
Loc: United Snakes
probably an unbearably stupid question from a first-timer...
    #1206653 - 01/10/03 09:08 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

hey everybody, i'm nesta, and i'm about to embark on my first journey through the wonderful world of mushroom cultivation...

i intend my first batch to be ecuadorians using the hippie's neglect tek, after having poured over any number of teks, most of them seemingly too advanced for my needs, although soon after the neglect tek i will most likely try my hand at the full fledged pf tek... anyway, my spores should be here in the mail soon, and i will want to start off as soon as i can, but first i have some questions, most of them pretty stupid i think...

before you suggest this, i have both searched the forums and the faq, and have not found answers for this. what i want to know is if there are any suitable substitutes for glass jars? i dont mean can i use ball vs. mason jars or can i use pints instead of half pints or can i just use drinking glasses....i mean can i use a half pint clear plastic cup instead of the glass? to me it would seem a reasonable thing to try, as i have never heard of plastics being the cause of any kind of contamination, and plastic should survive the 212 degree partial sterilization process used in pf tek and most variations of it. it would be infinitely easier and more convenient for me to use plastic punch cups or something (washed and sterilized, of course) instead of a glass jar or drinking glass....however if i absolutely must, i could use glass containers.

also, i just want to make sure i'm clear on this point...i DO need to keep the jars warmer until fully colonized than while fruiting, yes?

i've heard a lot of talk about it being a necessity to keep the jars in the dark until colonization is complete, except the hippie's neglect tek says it's alright to keep them in the light during the entire process - i have been unable to find out why it would be alright with this tek, but not others.

sorry if i sound like an amature and a first-timer (hey, i am!), but i just want my first try to go as smoothly as possible. thank you for any help  :tongue:    

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: probably an unbearably stupid question from a first-timer... [Re: nesta]
    #1206676 - 01/10/03 09:13 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

84 degrees is considered optimal for colonization, if I remember correctly..

Dunno about the plastic containers, dont see why you couldnt use them but I've never heard of someone doing it. You could just pick up some mason jars, they have em at wal mart, ya know. =p

InvisibleSixCee
keep rolling
Male

Loc: US, Chicago
Re: probably an unbearably stupid question from a first-timer... [Re: ]
    #1206679 - 01/10/03 09:15 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I used drinking glasses successfully before. They're good. It will be a little ahrd though to flip them over because all the vermiculite will fall out. So you must have it wrapped on tight.

You want to leave them out in light all the time with this tek so they fruit quickly inside the jars. If you were doing PF tek wouldn't it be kind of hard if they started fruting inside the jars before you could take them out?

You keep them warm (around 84*f) while they are colonizing. You lower the temps to mid 70s when you want to fruit them.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-->The above statements may or not be true.
->Quote of the Moment :
"Yea. All bitches are whores who love sex." -Cubie
----> PMs checked daily.

Edited by SixCee (01/10/03 09:17 AM)

Offlinenesta
the Idiot
    #1206680 - 01/10/03 09:16 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

yeah, i know a lot of places have them, but i'm a lazy/cheap mofo who hates to drive and loves to keep the cost down...

InvisibleSixCee
keep rolling
Male

Loc: US, Chicago
    #1206685 - 01/10/03 09:18 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Take your moms glasses or a friends.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-->The above statements may or not be true.
->Quote of the Moment :
"Yea. All bitches are whores who love sex." -Cubie
----> PMs checked daily.

Anonymous

#1206701 - 01/10/03 09:23 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

As far as your containers, glass is the most commonly used. Here is a log with somthing different http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Growlog&Number=1189438&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

As far as temps go. Incubate at 84-86F (spawn run) in the dark. Set pins at 74-78F CO2 less than 5000ppm Rh 95-100%, expose to light 12-16 hours per 24. Fruiting 74-78F CO2 less than 5000ppm Rh 95-100%(cakes) 85-92% (casings).

InvisibleG a n j a
Pictish and proud
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
    #1206728 - 01/10/03 09:32 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

ive just eaten shrooms from a plastic container :smile:
Working out fine so far.Just make sure its
microwave/dishwasher safe and you should
have no problems.I dont have a pressure cooker
so not sure about that part.But they hold up well to
steaming.

--------------------
er

InvisibleEthnoJimmy
Voyage thegalaxy

#1206729 - 01/10/03 09:33 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

A higher temperature for colonization is preferred, but not necessary. I incubate and fruit at room temperature. The proper heat would speed up the colonization times, but I don't consider it necessary. It's trial and error, and everyone has their own way of doing things. Try things out, if things don't work, alter them. Best of luck to you!

Jim

--------------------
Don't walk behind me, I will not lead?
Don't walk in front of me, I will not follow?
Just walk beside me and be a friend.

Offlinenesta
the Idiot
    #1206749 - 01/10/03 09:37 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

most excellent! :tongue: i think i'll try with the plastic first time round, with a decent level of warmth in the location, and then lower the warmth a little bit once it begins fruiting....if i have any problems, i'll use glass next time 

InvisibleG a n j a
Pictish and proud
 User Gallery

#1206759 - 01/10/03 09:38 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Good luck :smile:

--------------------
er

InvisibleG a n j a
Pictish and proud
 User Gallery

Re: probably an unbearably stupid question from a first-timer... [Re: EthnoJimmy]
    #1206778 - 01/10/03 09:43 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Jimmy you incubate and fruit at room tmp?
Dam im going to try that as all my hobbies take up plugs
fish/reptiles/plants lol so if i can save some i will.
i just innoculated my second batch so 2 jars are coming
out the incubator and im going to see how much longer they take.

--------------------
er

InvisibleEthnoJimmy
Voyage thegalaxy

Re: probably an unbearably stupid question from a first-timer... [Re: G a n j a]
    #1206793 - 01/10/03 09:47 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

That's exactly the reason I do it at room temp. My snakes/lizards/plants etc take up entirely too much electricity as is. It's probably already a fire hazard in there, so I figure, why risk it? (I couldn't find a damn plug in if I wanted to anyway) As long as your room is at LEAST 70+ degrees, you should be all set. My themostat is set for 68, but it's usually a touch warmer in my room.
I actually HAD an incubator at one time, but when I tested to see how much longer a room temperature incubation would take, I couldn't justify keeping the incubator. Room temperature works just fine, as long as you don't live in an igloo

Edit* spelling

--------------------
Don't walk behind me, I will not lead?
Don't walk in front of me, I will not follow?
Just walk beside me and be a friend.

Edited by EthnoJimmy (01/10/03 09:48 AM)

Offlinenesta
the Idiot
Re: probably an unbearably stupid question from a first-timer... [Re: G a n j a]
    #1206800 - 01/10/03 09:49 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

thanks :smile: i've also considered using those 50 cent gladware containers, but i'll save the more unusual experimentation for when i'm a little bit more experienced... :tongue: 

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
    #1206959 - 01/10/03 10:47 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

plastic should survive the 212 degree partial sterilization process used in pf tek and most variations of it....

.....i've heard a lot of talk about it being a necessity to keep the jars in the dark until colonization is complete, except the hippie's neglect tek says it's alright to keep them in the light during the entire process - i have been unable to find out why it would be alright with this tek, but not others.

blistering barnacles, hey, nesta! welcome :laugh:

in pf tek, the idea is full sterilisation. partial sterilisation is called pasteurising - this is for poo and suchlike, when you're spawning (later) as the surviving bugs at 170F actually help the grower. but 212F is 100C, which is boiling, which is full sterilisation....

the plastic cups'll be fine, so long as they don't melt.

that neglect tek is actually quite hard for newbies - i for one suggest you should stick to cakes first grow. in negleck tek, the light is okay because you want them to fruit in the jars. this is no fun for beginners - no interaction :grin: all other teks say let them get to 100% in the dark, then birth a week later when it's established: then drop temp to 75, give light, fresh air, humidity and time, and bingo!

enjoy this fab new hobby. 

--------------------
buh

OfflineMickyFinn
Fuck the DJ
Loc: VA Beach VA
    #1207075 - 01/10/03 11:49 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

even if it was a clear plasic cup, i have ntever seen any that were completely see through, how are you going to know your cakes fully colonized? come on man, you can spend 5 bucks on some nice reusable jars, but i also dont see why your plastic cups shouldnt work.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck