Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

North Spore Shop: Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10  [ show all ]
InvisiblePony
Part-Time Bra
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oklahoma
Re: What is the best investment right now? Stocks, RE, gold, etc? [Re: Stonehenge]
    #17087395 - 10/23/12 06:07 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

when I left my company, we were recommending high quality, high dividend yielding stocks.  i.e. mcdonalds, walmart, etc.  You're not going to get a huge 100% gain in a year more than likely, but last quarter that got us 14% which includes about a 3% dividend.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery

Loc: S.E.
Re: What is the best investment right now? Stocks, RE, gold, etc? [Re: Pony]
    #17361492 - 12/09/12 02:40 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

People are preoccupied with the fiscal cliff, if they think about national affairs at all. But of greater importance is the national debt estimated at $16 trillion and that is just the tip of the iceberg. Unfunded liabilities total at least 6 times that. Add in state and local debt and obligations and the total is close to a quintillion dollars (one million billion). There is no way that debt can be paid off except by inflating it out of existence. One way to do that is to recklessly print money out of thin air. The "german experience" spoken of refers to the fact the german mark became essentially worthless after reckess economic policies were followed.

Feud at The Fed: "Horrific Consequences" for Unlimited Easing
November 28, 2012

Source: Activist Post

The Fed's plan to purchase $40 billion in mortgage-backed securities and $45 billion in long-term US Treasuries every month for the foreseeable future is now creating internal feuds.

The Federal Reserve's latest round of quantitative easing has no timetable to end or any measurable goal. Yesterday, the Dallas Fed President said this policy without limits would result in "horrific consequences".

Reuters is reporting today on these "deep divisions" at the Federal Reserve:

Charles Evans, president of the Chicago Federal Reserve Bank and one of the Fed's most outspoken doves, said interest rates should stay near zero until the jobless rate falls to at least 6.5 percent. Such a policy would carry 'only minimal inflation risks,' and could boost growth faster than otherwise, he said.

Evans, who rotates into a voting seat on the Fed's policy-setting panel in January, also said the Fed should step up its program of quantitative easing in the new year to keep its overall level of asset purchases at $85 billion a month for most, if not all, of 2013.

But Dallas Fed President Richard Fisher, a self-identified inflation hawk, said the U.S. central bank could get into trouble if it does not set a limit on the amount of assets it is willing to buy.

'You cannot expand without limits without horrific consequences,' he told reporters on the sidelines of the conference organized by the Levy Economics Institute in Berlin. 'There is no infinity in monetary policy, we know that from the German experience.'

No one at the privately-owned US central bank has been able to explain how spending $85 billion per month ($1.02 trillion for 2013) on these purchases will reduce unemployment and maintain dollar price stability, the only tasks the Fed is charged with.

In fact, they don't even pretend to be achieving these duties anymore. Both Evans and Fisher agreed that fixing unemployment is more important than controlling high inflation. Therefore, they're willing to trade one for the other.

"I am not worried about inflation right now, I am worried about an underemployed workforce in America," said Fisher indicating that he is willing to go along to get along despite his "horrific consequences" remark.

Evans believes the Fed should keep interest rates at zero, continue or even "ramp up" purchasing Treasuries and mortgage-backed securities until the unemployment rate is 6.5 - 7 percent and inflation doesn't threaten 3 percent.

And, of course, they are using the "official" numbers for inflation and unemployment which everyone now knows are bogus to begin with.

The only reason the official unemployment number is marginally improving is because hundreds of thousands are scrubbed from the equation.

In September, Bloomberg reported, "The unemployment rate fell to 8.1 percent from 8.3 percent, but that was only because 368,000 people left the labor force. The share of working-age people who are either working or looking for work—known as the labor-force participation rate—fell to its lowest level since September 1981."

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

Offlineplant-paradise
Kawan

Loc: The World
Re: What is the best investment right now? Stocks, RE, gold, etc? [Re: Stonehenge]
    #17361543 - 12/09/12 02:48 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I would say invest in the danish mark doesn't fluctuate like dollar and euro @ the moment. Is still a stable country and doesn't have a crissis and isn't attached to any other courancies.

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery

Re: What is the best investment right now? Stocks, RE, gold, etc? [Re: plant-paradise]
    #17789545 - 02/12/13 02:17 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Many countries are now secretly hoarding gold. Germany has asked usa to return the 700 tons of gold its holding for germany. They have gotten stalled and told it may take 7 years.

I sold a batch of bitcoins recently for about 24.50 most of which i bought for 7 and change. I just wanted to lock in the value and when the inevitable drop comes, i can buy back in.

All 3 rental houses have had a $25 a month rent increase. Its not much but it adds up. I've gotten lazy about finishing the 2 i bought last year. I need to get motivated and finish one so i can put it up for sale.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Edited by Stonehenge (02/12/13 05:23 PM)

OfflineBambi
Friendly Forrest Animal
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #17792520 - 02/12/13 10:01 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Stonehenge said:
Many countries are now secretly hoarding gold. Germany has asked usa to return the 700 tons of gold its holding for germany. They have gotten stalled and told it may take 7 years.

I sold a batch of bitcoins recently for about 24.50 most of which i bought for 7 and change. I just wanted to lock in the value and when the inevitable drop comes, i can buy back in.

All 3 rental houses have had a $25 a month rent increase. Its not much but it adds up. I've gotten lazy about finishing the 2 i bought last year. I need to get motivated and finish one so i can put it up for sale.

Good luck getting motivated to finish your two properties. I know it can be rough to get the ball rolling, but just push yourself to start and things will be done in no time.

--------------------

"I want to read, talk with my friends via the computer, and enjoy my life now that people know I'm not dead. " -Rom Houben

Offlineqman
Stranger

Re: What is the best investment right now? Stocks, RE, gold, etc? [Re: Bambi]
    #17794918 - 02/13/13 11:39 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Bernanke had made it very clear over a decade ago, as he outlined his strategy to combat economic depression/deflation. I don't know why it surprises so many what he is doing, and what he will continue to do to combat falling asset prices.

The last trick is to "affect the exchange value of the dollar" (relative to gold). Basically devalue the dollar to gold, or "reset" the currency.

http://www.jsmineset.com/2013/02/13/currency-wars-are-realyra-harris/

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Re: What is the best investment right now? Stocks, RE, gold, etc? [Re: qman]
    #18857757 - 09/18/13 12:18 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

The house i paid 50 for i have it on the market now asking 80. All i did was paint the inside and clean up a little. So far the offers have been 55 and 60 both of which i rejected. I think when it sells i will put the money into gold which has dipped lately. Silver is good too but too bulky.

--------------------

OfflineManianFH
living in perverty
 User Gallery

#18861174 - 09/19/13 12:29 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

holy crap i wish i could put a 50k downpayment on a house. theyre so fucking expensive out here and everyone is offering cash straight up.

--------------------
notapillow said: "you are going about this endeavor all wrong. clear your mind of useless fear and concern. buy the ticket, take the ride, and all that.... "

ChrisWho said: "It's all about the journey, not the destination."

InvisibleGilgamesh18
Herbivore Man

Re: What is the best investment right now? Stocks, RE, gold, etc? [Re: ManianFH]
    #18861919 - 09/19/13 08:08 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

mick said:
holy crap i wish i could put a 50k downpayment on a house. theyre so fucking expensive out here and everyone is offering cash straight up.

Your telling me loans are hard as fuck to get these days

--------------------

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Re: What is the best investment right now? Stocks, RE, gold, etc? [Re: Gilgamesh18]
    #18868925 - 09/20/13 06:13 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

The banks are sitting on cash but don't want to loan it out. I do my financing the old fashioned way, i pay cash. The house i put up for sale has not gotten any more offers. I may have to do some work on the floor and some touch up just to get decent offers.

Just so people don't think its all gravy, i just had a major repair in one of my rental houses. The ac was giving a problem and i sent 3 guys out before i got an estimate. The first two were 'work out of their home' type fixit guys. They were good for minor stuff but this was major. Its costing me almost $5k to get a whole new system.

When i got the house the previous owners took the compressor with them and i got a local company to put in a used unit. It used the old style freon which is now not allowed. They said the air handler could not work on new freon so we had to go with the old. Now the old air handler is leaking freon and causing the compressor to go bad because its not getting enough lubrication. So they have to go into the attic and take out this huge piece of equipment and put in the new plus replace the old compressor and pad. Now i get a 10 year warranty. I can deduct all of this from taxes and i will get it back by early next year but its a big bite.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10  [ show all ]

North Spore Shop: Cultivation Supplies

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: geokills, automan
32,419 topic views. 0 members, 1 guests and 0 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2024 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.025 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 14 queries.