Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Today in counterculture history (02/20) * 3
    #12063044 - 02/19/10 11:00 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

• 1954:  Patty Hearst is born

Quote:

Patricia Campbell Hearst (born February 20, 1954), granddaughter of American publishing magnate William Randolph Hearst, became internationally known for events following her 1974 kidnapping and physical violation by a domestic American terrorist group known as the Symbionese Liberation Army. Hearst was found nineteen months after being abducted, by which time she was a fugitive wanted for serious crimes. She was held in custody, despite speculation that her family's resources would prevent her from spending time in jail. At her trial, the prosecution suggested that she had joined the Symbionese Liberation Army of her own volition. Hearst said she had been raped and threatened with death. She was found guilty of bank robbery. Hearst's sentence was commuted by President Jimmy Carter and she was later pardoned by President Bill Clinton.

Kidnapping

On February 4, 1974, 19-year-old Hearst was kidnapped from her Berkeley, California, apartment. She was beaten and lost consciousness during the abduction. Shots were fired from a machine gun during the incident. An urban guerrilla group called the Symbionese Liberation Army (SLA) claimed responsibility for the abduction.

SLA

The SLA was formed through contacts made by a study group, coordinated by a University of California, Berkeley professor. Its purpose was the tutelage of black inmates, and over time the ethos became increasingly radicalized. Eventually, black convicts came to be viewed as heroic political prisoners, victimized by a racist American society.

On March 5, 1973, Donald DeFreeze escaped from prison. Radical penal activists and future SLA members Russell Little and William Wolfe took DeFreeze to Patricia Soltysik's house.[5] The SLA was led by DeFreeze, who, after a prison acquaintance named Wheeler left, was the only African American in the group. By the time the group became active, most of the members of the tiny group were women, some of whom have, like Soltysik and her roommate Nancy Ling Perry, been described as in lesbian relationships. The members included William and Emily Harris and Angela Atwood.

DeFreeze was suspected by many of being a government provocateur, but his race and prison time gave him unquestioned authority in the SLA. He also had sexual dominion over women in the group. They acquired resources by robbing homes in the Bay Area. The first proposed operation, assassinating the head of the state penitentiaries, was cancelled because of possible repercussions for inmates; instead, Marcus Foster, a black educator regarded by the SLA as a fascist who had brought police onto school campuses, was targeted and killed.

DeFreeze's estimation of the military strength of the then dozen-strong SLA group was hyperbolic, and he gave himself a concomitantly grandiose title of 'field marshal'. Soltysik is believed to have created much of the SLA ideological material, which stated the organization was opposed to "racism, sexism, agism [sic], fascism, individualism, competitiveness, possessiveness and all other institutions that have made or sustained capitalism".

Motives

Hearst's kidnapping was partly opportunistic as she lived close to the SLA hideout. According to testimony, the main intention was to leverage the Hearst family's political influence to free two SLA members arrested for the killing of Oakland's first black superintendent, Marcus Foster. Faced with the failure to free the imprisoned men, the SLA demanded that the captive's family distribute $70 worth of food to every needy Californian – an operation that would cost an estimated $400 million. In response, Hearst's father took out a loan and arranged the immediate donation of $2 million worth of food to the poor of the Bay Area. The distribution descended into chaos and the SLA refused to release Hearst.

Hearst's account

According to Hearst's later testimony, she was in a closet blindfolded with her hands tied for a week, during which time DeFreeze repeatedly threatened her with death.[8] She was let out for meals and, blindfolded, began to join in the political discussions; she was given a flashlight and SLA political tracts to learn. Hearst was confined in the closet for weeks, after which she says, "DeFreeze told me that the war council had decided or was thinking about killing me or me staying with them, and that I better start thinking about that as a possibility." Hearst said "I accommodated my thoughts to coincide with theirs." Upon being asked for her decision, Hearst said she wanted to stay and fight with the SLA, and the blindfold was removed, allowing her to see her captors for the first time. After this she was given lessons on her duties, especially weapons drills, every day. Angela Atwood told Hearst that the others thought she should know what sexual freedom was like in the unit; she was then raped by William "Willie" Wolfe, and later by DeFreeze.

(https://en.wikipedia.org)

• 2005: Hunter S. Thompson dies

Quote:

Hunter Stockton Thompson (July 18, 1937 – February 20, 2005) was an American journalist and author who wrote Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1971) and Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72 (1973).

He is credited as the creator of Gonzo journalism, a style of reporting where reporters involve themselves in the action to such a degree that they become central figures of their stories. He is known also for his unrepentant lifelong use of alcohol, LSD, mescaline, and cocaine (among other substances); his love of firearms; his long-standing hatred of Richard Nixon; and his iconoclastic contempt for authoritarianism. While suffering a bout of health problems, he committed suicide in 2005, at the age of 67.

Death

Thompson died at his self-described "fortified compound" known as "Owl Farm" in Woody Creek, Colorado, at 5:42 p.m. on February 20, 2005, from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.

Thompson's son (Juan), daughter-in-law (Jennifer Winkel Thompson) and grandson (Will Thompson) were visiting for the weekend at the time of his suicide. Will and Jennifer were in the adjacent room when they heard the gunshot. Mistaking the shot for the sound of a book falling, they continued with their activities for a few minutes before checking on him. The police report concerning his death stated that in a typewriter in front of Thompson, they found "a piece of paper carrying the date 'Feb 22 '05' and the single word 'counselor'."

They reported to the press that they do not believe his suicide was out of desperation, but was a well-thought out act resulting from Thompson's many painful and chronic medical conditions. Thompson's wife, Anita, who was at a gym at the time of her husband's death, was on the phone with him when he ended his life.

What family and police describe as a suicide note was written by Thompson four days before his death, and left for his wife. It was later published by Rolling Stone. Titled "Football Season Is Over", it read:

"No More Games. No More Bombs. No More Walking. No More Fun. No More Swimming. 67. That is 17 years past 50. 17 more than I needed or wanted. Boring. I am always bitchy. No Fun — for anybody. 67. You are getting Greedy. Act your old age. Relax — This won't hurt."

Artist and friend Ralph Steadman wrote:

"...He told me 25 years ago that he would feel real trapped if he didn't know that he could commit suicide at any moment. I don't know if that is brave or stupid or what, but it was inevitable. I think that the truth of what rings through all his writing is that he meant what he said. If that is entertainment to you, well, that's OK. If you think that it enlightened you, well, that's even better. If you wonder if he's gone to Heaven or Hell, rest assured he will check out them both, find out which one Richard Milhous Nixon went to — and go there. He could never stand being bored. But there must be Football too — and Peacocks..."

Funeral

On August 20, 2005, in a private ceremony, Thompson's ashes were fired from a cannon atop a 153-foot (47 m) tower of his own design (in the shape of a double-thumbed fist clutching a peyote button) to the tune of Norman Greenbaum's "Spirit in the Sky" and Bob Dylan's "Mr. Tambourine Man."  Red, white, blue, and green fireworks were launched along with his ashes. As the city of Aspen would not allow the cannon to remain for more than a month, the cannon has been dismantled and put into storage until a suitable permanent location can be found. According to his widow Anita, Thompson's funeral was financed by actor Johnny Depp, a close friend of Thompson. Depp told the Associated Press, "All I'm doing is trying to make sure his last wish comes true. I just want to send my pal out the way he wants to go out."

Other famous attendees at the funeral included U.S. Senator John Kerry and former U.S. Senator George McGovern; 60 Minutes correspondents Ed Bradley and Charlie Rose; actors Jack Nicholson, Bill Murray, Benicio del Toro, Sean Penn, and Josh Hartnett; singers Lyle Lovett, John Oates and numerous other friends. An estimated 280 people attended the funeral.

The plans for this monument were initially drawn by Thompson and Ralph Steadman and were shown as part of an Omnibus program on the BBC entitled Fear and Loathing in Gonzovision (1978). It is included as a special feature on the second disc of the 2003 Criterion Collection DVD release of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, labeled on the DVD as "Fear and Loathing on the Road to Hollywood."

(https://en.wikipedia.org)

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Edited by Learyfan (02/20/21 07:37 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineWakeboardrB
Pepe Silvia
Male

Re: Today in counterculture history (02/20) [Re: Learyfan] * 1
    #12063051 - 02/19/10 11:01 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I hope he's riding the fuck out of his Black Shadow in Heaven...

--------------------
Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Today in counterculture history (02/20) [Re: WakeboardrB]
    #12068118 - 02/20/10 09:37 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I'm sure he is. 

--------------------

OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE United States Flag
    #12068141 - 02/20/10 09:40 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

HST is probably heckling the shit out of Nixon somewhere. :super:

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Today in counterculture history (02/20) [Re: Learyfan]
    #13994365 - 02/20/11 06:49 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

R.I.P. HST.  6 years already, huh?  My how time flies. 

:heart:

--------------------

OfflineThe_Ghost
ゴースト

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: USG Ishimura Flag
Re: Today in counterculture history (02/20) [Re: Learyfan]
    #13994370 - 02/20/11 06:55 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

:hatsoff:

--------------------
/ / / / / / / LISTEN TO MY MUSIC: E X E D / / / / / / /
The universe gives no fucks. And takes no fucks.
May His Circuits Ever Function

Invisiblevinsue
Grand Old Fart
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Garden State(NJ) Flag
    #13994374 - 02/20/11 06:59 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Learyfan said:

. . . :peace:

--------------------

"All mushrooms are edible; but some only once." Croatian proverb. BTW ...
  Have You Rated Ythans Mom Yet ?? ... :taser:  ... HERE'S HOW ... (be nice) .  :mod: ... :peace:

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In a Tree
Re: Today in counterculture history (02/20) [Re: vinsue] * 4
    #13994388 - 02/20/11 07:14 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

InvisibleMad_Larkin

Re: Today in counterculture history (02/20) [Re: memes] * 1
    #13994410 - 02/20/11 07:29 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

This one always makes me laugh. What a guy.

"I have nothing to do with the hiring policies of the BBC."

Offlinedanlennon3
LivingIsEasyWithEyesClosed.....
Male User Gallery

Loc: usa Flag
    #13994515 - 02/20/11 08:25 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Learyfan said:

6 years, holy crap. What a trip it has been:tripping:

--------------------
"Psychedelics should be used not to escape reality, but to embrace it"

OfflineDosile Kouki
derp

Loc: Paradise
Re: Today in counterculture history (02/20) [Re: danlennon3] * 1
    #13994685 - 02/20/11 09:28 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

RIP

can't stop here, this is bat country.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Today in counterculture history (02/20) [Re: Mad_Larkin]
    #13995474 - 02/20/11 12:36 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Good one, Mad Larkin.  The ending of that video is especially appropriate for today.  Here's the HST episode of the show "Final 24" about his last day. 

--------------------

Edited by Learyfan (02/19/14 08:50 PM)

InvisibleRobo
R Series 66Y
    #13995498 - 02/20/11 12:42 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

He decides to off himself while his family is visiting. And while he's on the phone with his wife, at the gym. "Well, see ya later honey".

Just strange. :strokebeard:

InvisibleMad_Larkin

#13995514 - 02/20/11 12:46 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Cool find Learyfan, deffo going to watch that later.

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

#15836438 - 02/20/12 06:08 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

7 years?  RIP Hunter.

--------------------

Invisiblevinsue
Grand Old Fart
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Garden State(NJ) Flag
Re: Today in counterculture history (02/20)http://www.shroomery.org/forums/newreply.php?Cat=0&Board= [Re: Learyfan] * 1
    #15836530 - 02/20/12 07:16 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------

"All mushrooms are edible; but some only once." Croatian proverb. BTW ...
  Have You Rated Ythans Mom Yet ?? ... :taser:  ... HERE'S HOW ... (be nice) .  :mod: ... :peace:

Offlinefloatingwater
இலைலைலைஇ

Re: Today in counterculture history (02/20)http://www.shroomery.org/forums/newreply.php?Cat=0&Board= [Re: vinsue] * 1
    #15836613 - 02/20/12 07:53 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah I remember reading a small piece he wrote before the 2004 elections saying there was no way in hell that Bush would be re-elected for another term.. A year later he killed himself.

Not saying the two events were directly related, but damn, you gotta wonder if that contributed to his mental status.

--------------------
================

Invisible420Experience
GC#3
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Searching the Rabbit Hole...
Re: Today in counterculture history (02/20)http://www.shroomery.org/forums/newreply.php?Cat=0&Board= [Re: floatingwater] * 1
    #15837012 - 02/20/12 10:36 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

:peace: & :heart:...  One of my favorite authors.  R.I.P. good sir...

--------------------
And as far as I'm concerned, it's like I say, drugs are not the problem. Other stuff is the problem. ~Jerry Garcia

I am a catepillar surfing on smoke through Shpongleland...

OfflineEvolveShrooms
Brahman Herder
Male

Loc: The dream hangar Flag
Re: Today in counterculture history (02/20)http://www.shroomery.org/forums/newreply.php?Cat=0&Board= [Re: Learyfan] * 2
    #15837175 - 02/20/12 11:36 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Gotta say, that might be one of the most badass people to have ever lived.

--------------------

The Only Illusion Is Division

InvisibleMeteloides
Clinically Expressed

Re: Today in counterculture history (02/20)http://www.shroomery.org/forums/newreply.php?Cat=0&Board= [Re: EvolveShrooms] * 1
    #15838490 - 02/20/12 04:32 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

RIP. :sad:
At least he got to go out on his own terms.

--------------------
:smoking:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder