Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Anonymous

Philosophy Links
    #1153055 - 12/24/02 01:24 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

There seems to be a bit of confusion about what logic and philosophy is in this forum.  In order to help our members understand what those are and how they can be useful to help a person think critically I am starting another link thread.

Hopefully this will help us all.

Logic and Fallacies This link talks about the various arguments and points out logical fallacies so a person can tell when someone has a reasonable argument and when they do not.

This is not a thread to debate the usefulness of philosophy and/or logic.  Any posts attempting to do so will be deleted.

If you have any links of your own relating to logic or philosophy do not hesitate to post them.

Thanks!  :smile: 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
Re: Philosophy Links [Re: ]
    #1153970 - 12/19/02 05:37 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Dictionary of Philosophy of Mind - Free resource dictionary for all those interested in the philosophical mind.

Episteme Links - EpistemeLinks.com includes thousands of sorted links to philosophy resources on the internet and has several additional features....
Description: Comprehensive index of philosophy-related links.

Spiritual Sovereignty - Pleiadian Philosophy  :wink:

--------------------

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: Philosophy Links *DELETED* [Re: Shroomism]
    #1154061 - 12/19/02 06:10 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Post deleted by Mr_Mushrooms

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Anonymous

Re: Philosophy Links *DELETED* [Re: Sclorch]
    #1155671 - 12/19/02 03:42 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Sorry Bud.  I thought I made it clear there was to be no discussion in the thread about the links.  I agree with you.  This would be better served under the spiritual links than the philosophical links.  In defense of Shroomism though I know he was just trying to help.

Let me be quite clear about this again in case I wasn't clear enough the first time.  Any argument or discussion about the links themselves in this thread will be deleted no questions asked.

If someone has a problem about a particular link they may pm me and I will review it and take the comment seriously.

Thanks to the both of you for being interested enough to post! :smile:

Cheers, 

OfflineNomad
Mad Robot

#1161315 - 12/22/02 01:46 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

An easy introduction to the Goedel Incompleteness Theorem.

"This theorem is one of the most important proven in this century, ranking with Einstein's Theory of Relativity and Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle."

"Although this theorem can be stated and proved in a rigorously mathematical way, what it seems to say is that rational thought can never penetrate to the final ultimate truth ... But, paradoxically, to understand G?del's proof is to find a sort of liberation."

Edited by Nomad (12/22/02 01:47 AM)

OfflineChubbSubb
Zen Lunatic

Loc: Here.
    #1162094 - 12/22/02 10:12 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------
Those who know do not speak.
Those who speak do not know.

Anonymous

Re: Philosophy Links [Re: Nomad]
    #1163417 - 12/22/02 07:53 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

The Radical Academy
is an analysis of the human condition as seen through the eyes of an authentic philosophical realism fundamentally grounded on the judgments of common sense, "critically examined."

We discuss traditional philosophical, moral, and religious questions; contemporary political, social, and cultural problems and policies; current scientific and technological issues and speculations; challenges to the "conventional" wisdom, "popular" ideologies, and "accepted" paradigms of our culture; and the application of common sense realistic principles to all human affairs.

OfflineNomad
Mad Robot

#1164708 - 12/23/02 09:05 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, let's throw links at each other's head  :wink:

The Alan Turing Home Page.

There was a time when each philosopher was a mathematician, and each mathematician was a philosopher. On a cold autumn day long ago, the two areas split up. A bad day for philosophy, a good day for mathematics. (Just kidding.)

Alan Turing, however, was both - a splendid mathematician and a great, if unrecognized, philosopher. He introduced the world to The Unknown, and he laid the groundwork for artificial intelligence. As a minor part of his life's work, he saved the day during World War II.

Barely 42 years old, Alan Turing killed himself. Being an open homosexual, he could not stand the intolerance of a hostile society. The logo of Apple Computers - the rainbow apple with a bite taken out of it - remembers Alan Turing: The rainbow as a symbol for his homosexuality, the apple as his preferred method to die. In 1954, Alan Turing ate a cyanide poisoned apple. Another great mind gone.

Anonymous

Re: Philosophy Links [Re: Nomad]
    #1165110 - 12/23/02 01:08 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Turing! Bah!

Try  St. Thomas Aquinas Believing that reason can, in principle, lead the mind to God, Aquinas defended reason's legitimacy, especially in the works of  Aristotle.  The philosophy of Aquinas continues to offer insights into many lingering problems in Metaphysics, the Philosophy of Mind, Philosophy of Religion and Ethics.

Aristotle Born at Stagira in Macedonia, the son of Nicomachus, Aristotle was together with Plato the most influential philosopher of the western tradition. At age 17 he entered Plato's academy in Athens, and remained there until Plato's death. Aristotle then accepted the invitation of Hermias to reside at Assos. Upon the death of Hermias (whose niece, Pythias, he married) in 345, Aristotle went to Mytilene on the island of Lesbos. Between 343/2 and 340 he acted as the tutor to the young Alexander the Great. In 335 he returned to Athens where he founded a school, the Lyceum. Here he organized and conducted research on many subjects, and built the first great library of antiquity. After the death of Pythias he lived with Herpyllis, by whom he had a son, Nicomachus. On the death of Alexander in 325 anti-Macedonian feeling in Athens caused Aristotle to retire to Chalcis where he died in 322.

Turing?  What's next?  Derrida?  Foucault?  Oops! :blush:  I shouldn't give you any ideas.  :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: 

OfflineNomad
Mad Robot

#1166104 - 12/24/02 01:24 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

You'll like that one...

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

The whole book online - a basic introduction to western philosophy, as well as the true story of a man who took rational thought one step too far.

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

#1189644 - 01/04/03 07:26 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

http://www.philosophersnet.com/article.php?id=540  :grin:
I found this on metafilter and haven't checked out the rest of the site, but judging by this article it seems promising. 

--------------------
Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
I have done it before and it never has an effect on the true believer so what is the point?

Anonymous

Re: Philosophy Links [Re: falcon]
    #1190145 - 01/04/03 11:03 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Egads! :blush:  I've been found out!

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Offlinemntlfngrs
The Art of Casterbation
Male User Gallery

#1190371 - 01/04/03 01:18 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------
Be all and you'll be to end all

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

#1192154 - 01/05/03 08:54 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

It is to what I aspire: the ablitiy to baffle with BS.
A site for any fellow Cathaholics. http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12025c.htm

--------------------
Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
I have done it before and it never has an effect on the true believer so what is the point?

Edited by falcon (01/05/03 08:58 AM)

Anonymous

Re: Philosophy Links [Re: falcon]
    #1192744 - 01/05/03 01:31 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Excellent!

Offlinemntlfngrs
The Art of Casterbation
Male User Gallery

#1205713 - 01/09/03 09:45 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

To make up for randi.org...
The Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy

--------------------
Be all and you'll be to end all

Anonymous

Re: Philosophy Links [Re: mntlfngrs]
    #1205778 - 01/09/03 11:55 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

That was very thoughtful. Thank you.

OfflineAxiom420
ADDICT

Loc: in the forest, behind the...
Re: Philosophy Links [Re: mntlfngrs]
    #1217748 - 01/14/03 10:53 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

www.trinityfoundation.org

good place to get good books for any christian that takes thought seriously. i'd recomend anything by clark.

--------------------
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
- Albert Einstein

Anonymous

#1258300 - 01/29/03 09:16 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Why waste your time with internet links? Read some Plato, some Hobbes, some Descartes... read anything, read them all, but read the originals.

Anonymous

#1260573 - 01/30/03 03:27 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

For the same reason people read Cliff notes. Some of the links are online books as well.

But I agree. Reading the books from the masters themselves is the best thing.

Cheers

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom