Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Offlinedubhuman
shit abyss
Female User Gallery

Loc: NY
Re: Yoga [Re: Platinum]
    #12063452 - 02/20/10 12:31 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Platinum said:

I associate yoga with tight fitting clothes, and I'm relaly tall and skinny. I'm 6'5" and I weigh 155 lbs. Like... my ribs pop out on the regular. And I also have long limbs obviously, I'd say I'm on the cusp of being lanky.

At Kunalini I wear a white T shirt, white baggy pants, and and white head peace to keep the heat and energy from leaving my head, as do most people. it is all about yousrself, you get what you put into it and only focus on yourself. it is not like any other yoga I've eber been to, for sure. you'll see

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleyogabunnyM
fancy cat
Female User Gallery

Loc: Nasty Women Get Shit Done
Re: Yoga [Re: dubhuman]
    #12064338 - 02/20/10 09:17 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

yeah and furthermore, i really hate this aesthetic that's been propagated by the media and magazines and stuff; as if all yoga practitioners must look like lithe, waif like ballerinas.  as IF!!!

of course, a lot of them do because they've been practicing yoga for like 15-20 years.....

anyway, the reason yogis and yoginis (in  asana based classes) wear shorts and tight fitting clothing is so that the teacher can see all the lines of your body and make the best adjustments and corrections for each student. 

:thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: Yoga [Re: yogabunny]
    #12064720 - 02/20/10 11:16 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

yogabunny said:
anyway, the reason yogis and yoginis (in  asana based classes) wear shorts and tight fitting clothing is so that the teacher can see all the lines of your body and make the best adjustments and corrections for each student.

Or if you're a Guru with lustful thoughts enjoying the curves of your practitioners... :satansmoking:

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

InvisibleyogabunnyM
fancy cat
Female User Gallery

Re: Yoga [Re: deCypher]
    #12064920 - 02/20/10 11:48 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

deCypher said:
Quote:

yogabunny said:

Or if you're a Guru with lustful thoughts enjoying the curves of your practitioners... :satansmoking:

i was referring to teachers, not gurus.  i am so not into the guru scene.  i have problems with authoritAYE.

and, i think this is why they don't allow shorts and tank tops at a lot of the ashrams.  heh.
:crazy:

--------------------

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#12064953 - 02/20/10 11:53 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Are there frequent problems with sexual relationships between so-called masters and students?  Or are there just a few bad apples in every barrel?

--------------------

Invisiblep4kSouL
Animals Are Cool

#12064954 - 02/20/10 11:53 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah some of those strict rules are just not necessary.

Invisiblep4kSouL
Animals Are Cool

#12064959 - 02/20/10 11:54 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

deCypher said:
Are there frequent problems with sexual relationships between so-called masters and students?  Or are there just a few bad apples in every barrel?

Lol, some reason there is always that old guy that ends up fingering the little kid. For some odd reason.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #12065002 - 02/20/10 12:04 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

deCypher said:

Any sort of authoritative position will tend to attract power-hungry individuals.  In the case of a guru, the student is supposed to put their complete trust in the person in helping them achieve enlightenment.  That's why the Dalai Lama recommends observing someone's teaching style for 15 years before accepting them as a guru.

--------------------

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: Yoga [Re: Silversoul]
    #12065011 - 02/20/10 12:05 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

That's such a heavy fucking burden accepting the complete responsibility for this individual's quest though.  And 15 years?? :whoa:

--------------------

InvisibleyogabunnyM
fancy cat
Female User Gallery

#12065025 - 02/20/10 12:08 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

deCypher said:

i would say the latter.

reminds me of this yoga teacher i met up at Sivananda.  totally harmless, but slightly pervy old hippie who's been studying this style of Yoga for like 30 years, living on the ashrams back and forth between upstate and the bahamas.

one day he was sitting with Swami Vishu-Devananda, and seeing how much attention Swamiji received from the ladies he began day dreaming about becoming a Swami himself.  Swamiji read his mind, looked over at and said "No, Sambasiva you are too much of a ladies man to be a Swami, but you will be a great Yoga teacher"

LOL.

--------------------

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#12065033 - 02/20/10 12:09 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

:lol:

--------------------

OfflinePlatinum
Psychonautical Engineer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: New York Flag
Re: Yoga [Re: dubhuman]
    #12065429 - 02/20/10 01:28 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

dubhuman said:
Come to kundalini with me at the studio in the city, I promise you will love it. and how is it easier for girls to to yoga? it's very co-ed. the studio I go to is ran by a man and his wife both sat jiven.

I believe they were both taught by Yogi Bhajan himself. It's the real deal. He was actually shunned from India for bringing it to the west but thats a story I'll tell you in person.

I live near you... come with me? www.kundaliniyogaeast.com

I also have beginner DVD at my house we can try out together. I've never even tried it out! I don't have a DVD player ha!

Anyway, come, it's incredible, next on my list is a white tantric.

We just did a 3 hour chant to strengthen and prepare us for leaving the age of picses (sp?) and entering the age of aquarius. it was amazing. you have to experience it for yourself and I'd love if you came.

I miss you dude

Sat Nam
:peace:

I definitely will, probably in the summer though when I'm home from school.

Invisiblenowwhoutthink
maybe im dreaming
 User Gallery

Loc: 805 Saint Cloud Road Mars
    #12065457 - 02/20/10 01:34 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

sorry i dont have much to add to the thread, but ive been super interested in yoga and mediating...etc..

after a few car wrecks i thinkit would be a good thing to keep my joints stretched..and/or cause more pain?

--------------------

OfflinePlatinum
Psychonautical Engineer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: New York Flag
Re: Yoga [Re: nowwhoutthink]
    #12065508 - 02/20/10 01:45 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I would say try it and see hwo it goes. Just be aware of your body and if you feel like youre over doing it, slow down, or stop. It's worth a try though right?

Invisiblenowwhoutthink
maybe im dreaming
 User Gallery

#12065541 - 02/20/10 01:52 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

totally...i go to physical rehab and well the back massage is great haha, but id like to try something at home. tired of being sore and stiff 24/7 and maybe help me decrease all my pain meds in a day.

know anything good for starters?

--------------------

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery

#12065698 - 02/20/10 02:20 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

LOL at thinking yoga is postures and stretching. teehee :smile:

Invisiblenowwhoutthink
maybe im dreaming
 User Gallery

Re: Yoga [Re: tekramrepus]
    #12065770 - 02/20/10 02:29 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

well im sorry to come across ignorant..realy.

i do have lot of preparing before i attempt. luckily my aunt is a therapist(or whatever they are called///yogist?) who does this daily.

--------------------

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery

#12066110 - 02/20/10 03:36 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

nowwhoutthink said:
well im sorry to come across ignorant..realy.

i do have lot of preparing before i attempt. luckily my aunt is a therapist(or whatever they are called///yogist?) who does this daily.

I wasnt being mean, I was just teasing, and my reply was for everyone in this thread confusing stretching and postures with yoga hehe :smile:

Offlineshivas.wisdom
בּ
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Turtle Island
    #12066248 - 02/20/10 04:00 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I'm sure you would be fine doing yoga. Just never push yourself to the point of causing pain-- you will feel your body straining but it should be comfortable like a deep stretch not painful, and slowly your ability will increase. I'm not too sure of what yoga would be most beneficial to start with though-- perhaps yogabunny can help you out there.

Meditation is always beneficial, and that I can give a starting tip on. 
1. Sit down in any comfortable position [cross-legged is standard].
2. Close your eyes and begin to breathe in and out, full breaths.
3. Bring your awareness to your breath. Feel it moving in your nostrils, down your throat, into your lungs, and then feel it completely saturate your body-- before breathing out and feel it leave you in a reverse process. [I find it helps to imagine it as an energy and not just simple air].
4. Keep your focus on your breathe for as long as possible. You will find a background 'stream of consciousness' will become apparent-- where ideas will pop into your head. Don't try to shut them out, instead let them rise and fall back into the stream naturally, simply observe it.
5. Do this for as long as comfortable.. rinse and repeat another time. I am a firm believer that most of the meditative process is intuitive though, if you start with this you will fine tune it towards your own needs without even realizing.

ah, and an exercise I use to help refresh and clear my prana before meditating is this:
1. Sit down in a comfortable position. Keep your hands folded on your lap, palms up.
2. Take your right hand and use it to plug your right nostril. Breathe in one complete breath through your left nostril. Then use your right hand to plug your left nostril and breath out through the right nostril. Repeat this for a total of 3 breaths like this.
3. Same same, only breathe in through the right nostril, out through the left, for another total 3 breathes.
4. Return your right hand to your lap, and breathe in 3 full breathes through both nostrils. At this point, put your thoughts in the direction you wish to continue in [for meditation, this could be 'calmness, awareness, focus' etc]
5. Start the meditation.

--------------------

Invisiblenowwhoutthink
maybe im dreaming
 User Gallery

Re: Yoga [Re: shivas.wisdom]
    #12066328 - 02/20/10 04:13 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

shivas.wisdom said:
I'm sure you would be fine doing yoga. Just never push yourself to the point of causing pain-- you will feel your body straining but it should be comfortable like a deep stretch not painful, and slowly your ability will increase. I'm not too sure of what yoga would be most beneficial to start with though-- perhaps yogabunny can help you out there.

Meditation is always beneficial, and that I can give a starting tip on. 
1. Sit down in any comfortable position [cross-legged is standard].
2. Close your eyes and begin to breathe in and out, full breaths.
3. Bring your awareness to your breath. Feel it moving in your nostrils, down your throat, into your lungs, and then feel it completely saturate your body-- before breathing out and feel it leave you in a reverse process. [I find it helps to imagine it as an energy and not just simple air].
4. Keep your focus on your breathe for as long as possible. You will find a background 'stream of consciousness' will become apparent-- where ideas will pop into your head. Don't try to shut them out, instead let them rise and fall back into the stream naturally, simply observe it.
5. Do this for as long as comfortable.. rinse and repeat another time. I am a firm believer that most of the meditative process is intuitive though, if you start with this you will fine tune it towards your own needs without even realizing.

ah, and an exercise I use to help refresh and clear my prana before meditating is this:
1. Sit down in a comfortable position. Keep your hands folded on your lap, palms up.
2. Take your right hand and use it to plug your right nostril. Breathe in one complete breath through your left nostril. Then use your right hand to plug your left nostril and breath out through the right nostril. Repeat this for a total of 3 breaths like this.
3. Same same, only breathe in through the right nostril, out through the left, for another total 3 breathes.
4. Return your right hand to your lap, and breathe in 3 full breathes through both nostrils. At this point, put your thoughts in the direction you wish to continue in [for meditation, this could be 'calmness, awareness, focus' etc]
5. Start the meditation.

:thumbup: thanks a lot man. i will actually try that later tongight. itll be a good starter. i bet it could even help me easy off my anxiety meds and pain killers...?

and Supermarket...its all good. didnt take it mean, just was apologizing for coming off as a newb.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order