Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

What the fuck? I never knew pharmacy was so blatant about ripping people off.
    #12041257 - 02/16/10 04:54 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I mean I knew a lot of it was shit, but this is just something else.

My insurance ran out so when I went to pick up my prescription at the clinic they told me they would have to charge an additional "fee" for using their "services" (walking behind the counter and pouring some pills into another bottle) between $100 to $150. Then I spent two days calling about 20 pharmacies and actually driving way out to three because they said they carried my brand but then realized that they were wrong and actually didn't have it. What's even worse is that a lot of the pharmacies that I called where chains (rite-aid and so on) and they implied that maybe another branch would have the meds in stock, but then other pharmacists would say that the whole franchise is under contract to carry the certain kind of generic. Most of them were out of the brand name (adderall) and the ones that had it were short and the price ranged from $267 to $489 for only a two month supply.

The most frequently carried adderall generic was Barr who according to other people with ADHD make bunk shit, and actually have a horrible track record which they solved by buying out shire and then being bought by teva so they have some kind of hold on the market.

Eventually I just went with the oblong barrs because while some people didn't like them some people said they were awesome, and apparently they messed up and pumped out a bunch of meth as 20mg adderalls recently so that's something to look forward to. Right after buying them I found out you can buy pharms online now, so I'll just go back to Sandoz if these are weak.

Aside from my story, countless people are completely fucked over by this system and some even have to remain jobless on welfare because if not their assisted coverage drops and they can't afford their meds anymore. What the fuck is all this about? Why is this even going on as if something is normal? And why are people who buy their meds illegally seen as bad people rather than just having common sense?

http://www.aboutlawsuits.com/generic-adderall-recall-barr-dextroamphetamine-amphetamine-5459/

--------------------
Remember to cut your nails regularly.

Edited by PyroBurns (02/16/10 04:56 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblebosch
Re: What the fuck? I never knew pharmacy was so blatant about ripping people off. [Re: PyroBurns]
    #12041756 - 02/16/10 06:02 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I work in a pharmacy, so I can try to shed some light on the matter for you.

Pharmacies make NO money on expensive medications. In fact, sometimes we sell them at a loss. At least for the company I work for, the minimum dispensing fee is $11.99, so it's the extremely cheap meds that we get bottles of 1000 for a dollar and mark up a month to $11.99 that we make all of the company's profit on essentially. Usually this is entirely unnoticable to patients anyway, since they just pay their copay of 5-10$ and everything is fine.

But, nobody ever gets expensive medications, so it's pointless to upcharge on it. We sell that stuff at cost plus or minus maybe a dollar.

It's pretty strange that you had a hard time finding brand name Adderall though. In this state, Medicaid covers the brand name exclusively still. But, so you know, Global pharm has just put their adderall xr generic on the market.

But yeah, blaming pharmacies for expensive medication is pretty stupid. If you have insurance, the insurance determines the copay, and not the pharmacy. Futher, the cost is going to be determined primarily by the cost of the medication; we dont just charge whatever on a whim or anything, there are simple formulas for calculating our charge from what we have to pay to stock the meds; our profit decreases exponentially as cost rises.

But yeah, just get your doc to write for a non extended release script, taking it more times per day instead. The IR adderall is only like 40$ cash price.

Pretty sure you won't be able to find legit adderall online though; it's a schedule II controlled substance, the same as opium and cocaine. If it was available, the DEA would rape the proprieter instantly pretty much.

Offlinefapjack
Title
 User Gallery

Loc: Central New Jersey
Re: What the fuck? I never knew pharmacy was so blatant about ripping people off. [Re: bosch]
    #12041836 - 02/16/10 06:12 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

You can mail prescriptions to online pharmacies and get them to fill them.  Also, there is a big range of prices of medications, some pharmacies sell subs for 6 bucks, others wanted 9, some pharmacies sold roxicodone for 2 bucks each, others charged like 70 cents.  I don't know what the markup is, but it seems like chain pharmcies fuck you a lot harder than smaller pharmacies, at least for narcotics and benzos.

Also, people that notice a difference with generics are full of shit, its placebo.  The only difference between different generics and the brand name is binders.  FDA regulations are extremely strict, and risk to benefit of making a few extra pennies off of each pill by shorting the main ingredient doesn't make it worth while.

--------------------

InvisibleantiPock
fighting entropy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sol 3
Re: What the fuck? I never knew pharmacy was so blatant about ripping people off. [Re: PyroBurns]
    #12041865 - 02/16/10 06:18 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yo Pyro! Whats up man haven't seen you around these parts much lately.

I would like to thank BigPharma for making situations like yours so  ridiculous. I was once married to a Pharmacist who worked for one of the big drug companies, and it is one incestuous, kick-back driven system that has jacked everything sky high. Insurance>Doctors>Drug Companies, round and round, extracting every penny so that they can funnel the money into ads, and R&D for the next "lifestyle" drug to make your lashes longer or whatever, while people die of treatable diseases.

Luckily you live in the good old USA where we have the best healthcare in the world!

InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

Re: What the fuck? I never knew pharmacy was so blatant about ripping people off. [Re: antiPock]
    #12042021 - 02/16/10 06:38 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I don't know man, seems like some weird stuff. What I was looking for was eon labs and most pharmacies weren't carrying it and on contract to only carry bar. & bullshit at $40 for Adderall IR. The Barr alone was $110 and Sandoz online (at drugstore.com ) is about $140.

Also on the differences between generics, I don't know about that either. All I've had so far has been sandoz and brand name which are both nice. Many people are very convinced about generics being different. I know that one wellbutrin made me feel much more constipated and whacked out than another.

And hey Antipock. I don't know exactly where I've been since this year has been pretty crazy. But in general I've been online much less to even not at all until now with all this damn snow and ice everywhere.

--------------------

Invisiblebosch
    #12044984 - 02/17/10 05:34 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

There actually can be some small differences between generics... I believe it's something like the law dictates how it judges if something is the correct strength or not by making sure everything from a manufacturer is within +/-5% or something like that, which often isn't going to be that big of a deal, but that's why for things like thyroid meds which are measured in micrograms, it's more of a big deal to stick to a particular manufacturer.

And, I recall what I said about online pharmacies earlier; some actually can be cheaper, as they have direct access to the pharm manufacturing operations in india or similar places, and thus can get the drugs much cheaper that way, still manufactured under Good Manufacturing Processes and obtained/distributed leagally. My bad, when I hear talk of online pharmacies, my mind kind of immediately jumps to the shaky ones that don't require prescriptions.

Good luck man; I'm on Adderall as well, and I certainly know the annoying shit you're going through; unfortunately I have to see it pretty much every day. I do wish there was something I could do about it; while it may sound like I was/am taking up a condecending or antagonistic tone, that's not the intention, but when you have to deal with the sad fact all day every day, it kind of gets you cranky, you know?

Kind of rambling, but a side note: I've seen a lot of threads on here of people getting extremely pissed off at pharmacies/their staff for whatever reason, and *probably* in a lot of cases, they're right to; I've worked in a few, and know probably a majority of them in my area, including many of my chain, are utterly awful, and the staff are very rude, condecending, inefficient, ignorant. Still, it'd be good if people tried to give the benefit of the doubt more often. I know a lot of people have trouble at pharmacies, but some of us really do care a lot about the job; I go everything I can for the patient, not because I'm a saint or anything, but if I'm gonna do the job, I want to be fucking good at it.

I won't lie and say I've never lowered prices for people when I wasn't supposed to either; I could very well get fired for it. I've also managed to get controlled substances filled slightly earlier for people who may or may not have been junkies, if they are polite, respectable, etc. I could get fired/sued/whatever for those actions, but I understand that people have shit they're going through and need the stuff sometimes. Still, retail pharmacy really gets the end of the stick; as I said before, most of the time when people *really* get raped on prices, we don't make anything either. Also, there's really no reason for us not to want to fill a script for anyone. Hell, if I don't like you, I just want to get it done asap and get you the fuck out... If I were to not fill it, the person would be there longer being a bitch about it, right? Even for forgeries, a lot of them are really obvious, but I don't give a shit and just try to fill them unless someone else notices most of the time, unless it's agaonizingly obvious.

Long story short: hope you can manage to find one decent pharmacy in your area, and just be nice to the folks and try to give the benefit of the doubt, and thing'll probably go a little nicer, hopefully.

Not anyone in particular, just ranting.

Offlinefapjack
Title
 User Gallery

Re: What the fuck? I never knew pharmacy was so blatant about ripping people off. [Re: bosch]
    #12045328 - 02/17/10 08:23 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

It has to do with differences in bioavailabilty, not dosage.

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DevelopmentApprovalProcess/HowDrugsareDevelopedandApproved/ApprovalApplications/AbbreviatedNewDrugApplicationANDAGenerics/default.htm

If it had 5% less of the active ingredient, it would make a big enough difference to the point that it would get pulled.  The exact % is somewhere in the CFR, its not important though in this discussion.

--------------------

InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

#12045562 - 02/17/10 09:18 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Go to know you understand. Even when I was fuming while going pharmacy to pharmacy and hearing over the phone sometimes about how they couldn't give information out unless they saw the script (what's the point of this?) I tried to keep my cool and not give them shit. I can understand that they probably deal with a lot of shit on both ends, not to mention the massive amount of people who just blindly take drugs w/o research and blame the effects on the pharm.

Though that still doesn't mean our system is fine. We need to have a centralized pharmacy or something because that just doesn't make any sense that one store can have what the one next door has but at a completely different price. A lot of these drugs are incredibly important for people's well being and can't just be toyed with like that. Even for "drug seekers". I mean, I take my adderall for legit reasons but that doesn't mean it makes me feel good too. Almost everyone who needs it enjoys it so why is there a need to punish someone for finishing their bottle a day early? And why even be so private over the phone? Is a junky w/o a script really going to benefit from hearing what brand they carry? I don't know man, but the way things are run here is just too disconnected.

--------------------

Offlinefapjack
Title
 User Gallery

#12045687 - 02/17/10 09:40 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Its a free market, would you expect to get the same price on a coca cola at every store?  You only need to shop around once.  Also, there is a pharmacy price search engine.

--------------------

InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

Re: What the fuck? I never knew pharmacy was so blatant about ripping people off. [Re: fapjack]
    #12045805 - 02/17/10 09:55 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

How ethical is having a free market when it comes to health needs?

My grandma for example lives way out in the middle of nowhere, has no computer, and basically relies on Wal-Mart for her prescriptions. What if all the sudden they lose their connects and the price gets jacked up? What can she do? Do you really expect her to drive 10 miles a piece to pharmacy to pharmacy until she can find what she can afford? Or to suddenly manifest a computer and make it to drugstore.com?

That's not right.

--------------------

Offlinefapjack
Title
 User Gallery

#12045857 - 02/17/10 10:01 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

You can use the same argument for food or any other necessity.  Government funded health care is a good idea, but until then it is a business and expect people to run it as such.

--------------------

InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

Re: What the fuck? I never knew pharmacy was so blatant about ripping people off. [Re: fapjack]
    #12045900 - 02/17/10 10:07 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah I feel the same way about food. I think the way it's so distorted here is totally fucked up but didn't want to go into that right now.

Overall, while I know that capitalism encourages you choose freely sometimes it isn't even possible or people end up not knowing any better. Even worse is when "it" can't deliver what "it" promises. Toying with people's lives like that is fucked up. And old people wonder why the younger generations are becoming more and more dependent.

--------------------

Offlinefapjack
Title
 User Gallery

#12046098 - 02/17/10 10:41 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

People are fucked up.  That's what happens when you have so many god damn people.

--------------------

Invisiblebosch
    #12050216 - 02/17/10 08:19 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, it's totally fucked up. I used to be a really socially liberal person as far as social programs and the like go until I got this job... You see a bunch of ungrateful fucks on Medicaid driving up in Mercedes and BMWs and shit, while people who actually need their meds and are barely scraping by have to pay out of pocket.

Really, you can't blame any particular part though. The manufacturers DO need to charge obscene amounts to keep performing research. The insurance companies eat up a lot of money and they generally suck, but they too are doing what they have to do to get by; they're a business. The smaller the plan, too, the worse the coverage will be, since they have less money to work with, so they won't cover as much, will have higher copays/deductibles, etcetcetc.

If there ever was some universal plan implemented, as long as it was done so efficiently, the coverage would be unfathomably better, since all the money being paid in would be consolidated, enabling coverage for virtually everything at far lower prices; drug prices themselves would probably lower a bit as well since manufacturers would know a lot more of it would be selling. But, it probably won't happen.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale