Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefungisfarmer
Stranger
Male User Gallery
My latest Pearl oyster logs
    #12035913 - 02/15/10 06:47 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

By now I have tried out a few different things with growing these pearl oysters. First thing I tried was these little mini baskets which didn't work out all that well. All 3 just fruited in one place. decent clusters but not really that much. Then I had some logs but I took the plastic completely off when I started seeing clusters forming and then they all grew pins then just aborted except for like 2 on each log. which grew decently. by the time I picked the clusters those logs were super light as if they lost almost all the moisture in them. So I soaked them in water overnight then I covered them in bags again. In the mean time these 4 logs had completely colonized and I am going to be leaving the bags on this time and just be cutting slits where I see clusters forming. I'm not gonna cut anything on the bottoms just to limit mushroom formation slightly so I don't get a bunch of tiny little things.

I think part of why the uncovered logs did so poorly could have been from lack of humidity. I didn't watch them all that well and I think it got a bit dry in there for a while.

Anyways my martha has been nice and foggy for the past couple days and I've got some nice pin formations coming along.

And I've got to say, This strain of pearl oysters are an extremely fast fruiter. As Soon as the bags look fully colonized the next day or maybe the 2nd day I start to notice little blobs forming.

Edited by fungisfarmer (02/15/10 06:50 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinenexus1946
Rebel
 User Gallery

Loc: In the moment
Re: My latest Pearl oyster logs [Re: fungisfarmer]
    #12037946 - 02/16/10 01:23 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Lookin' good! :super:

--------------------
Gypsum/Drywall Tek
The Story Of Russell The Texas (Cube) Bear

The human race's prospects of survival were considerably better when we were defenceless against tigers than they are today when we have become defenceless against ourselves.
-Arnold J. Toynbee

Offlinedeliciosa
Phallus in Wonderland
Male User Gallery

Loc: Indiana
Re: My latest Pearl oyster logs [Re: nexus1946]
    #12039343 - 02/16/10 11:18 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Looks very nice.

I just ordered some Golden Oysters from SporeWorks.com and your photos really motivate me.

Offlinefungisfarmer
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: My latest Pearl oyster logs [Re: deliciosa]
    #12039372 - 02/16/10 11:26 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

cool. I have a golden oyster culture from SW. I haven't done anything with it yet though. I've just been doing these pearls for now along with 2 tubs of reishi.

This was the first cluster ever that I've grown from this culture. the pic was from like a day before I picked them.

Offlinedeliciosa
Phallus in Wonderland
Male User Gallery

Loc: Indiana
    #12039431 - 02/16/10 11:39 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

They look beautiful. I love the look of the Oysters and those pics are really nice.

So are you using a cool mist humidifier in your Martha? 

I am going to build one for myself.

Offlinefungisfarmer
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: My latest Pearl oyster logs [Re: deliciosa]
    #12039460 - 02/16/10 11:46 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Well I've got a cool mist humidifier that I keep inside the martha. The kind that doesn't put out a mist or anything. Then on the outside I have an ultrasonic humidifier that I custom built which provides the fog and fresh air. I basically just have the ultrasonic one inside to stir up the air inside. I need to add another pipe that goes into the martha higher up.

Checkout this thread I made detailing how I made my martha and humidifier.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11818019

Offlinefungisfarmer
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #12039514 - 02/16/10 11:54 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

new pics from today

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Not Too Sure Flag
    #12043605 - 02/16/10 09:54 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

those look good bro
if they all mature you should have some nice size clusters there

good vibes your way

-noobie-

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:
not sure what GE and FAE are but i should probably get some.

Citric said:
Your signature is wrong on colonization temps!

GOOD JUDGMENT COMES FROM EXPERIENCE
EXPERIENCE COMES FROM BAD JUDGMENT

ROOM TEMP 70-75 IS BEST FOR COLONIZATION
Thank you mycochef

Offlinefungisfarmer
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: My latest Pearl oyster logs [Re: noobieshroomie]
    #12043737 - 02/16/10 10:17 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

pretty much all the ones you can see in the pics I posted are past the stage where They mostly aborted on my other logs. So I'm hoping for some good harvests in 4-6 days. I'll make sure to keep posting pictures.

Btw I've got 3 jars going with some LC I made from that dish of shitake. Can't wait to get some blocks going in like 2 weeks..

Haha and also I had thrown those straw baskets away a few days ago thinking they were just taking up space and I looked into the tub that I started putting them in and one of them finally decided to start pinning like crazy. All it took was a good bit of abuse i guess:beatadeadhorse:
So I brought it back up and put it into my martha so we'll see what happens with that.

InvisibleTacoHerder
Bluedavenger
Male User Gallery

#12044048 - 02/16/10 11:16 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

nice pics! jeeze i wish i had a camera that good:facepalm:

--------------------
TO ALL CULTIVATORS, EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/10899385
We need more member like mycochef, he is truly a kind giving person. Just ask Noobie, mycochef hooked him up big time!
Fastest Cultivation WINNER!!!! NoOneKnowsHowToAct won it twice, must be doing something right:super:

Shoot me a pm if you would like a powerful custom laser built. :smile: 4th pic is a 1.3W 445nm laser burning thru some plastic makeup containers. Yes I was wearing proper safety goggles, otherwise I would be blind right now.

Invisiblewildrose
Learner
Female
    #12044296 - 02/17/10 12:02 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for the great pictures and information! I was wondering though: why should a person not use an incubator for shrooms? I have some paddy mushroom mycelia in solution and am going to put the liquid cultures into our GQF Sportsman incubator (we have several on hand from our poultry days). It has a bucket on top for constant humidity and an electronic thermostat. It's my hope that with this contraption, maybe we can come to an 'understanding' with these temperate mushrooms. I've tried to find more info using the search feature but haven't found a lot....

The incubator looks like this:

And has the bucket on top:

Offlinenexus1946
Rebel
 User Gallery

Re: My latest Pearl oyster logs [Re: wildrose]
    #12044432 - 02/17/10 12:32 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

wildrose said:
Thanks for the great pictures and information! I was wondering though: why should a person not use an incubator for shrooms? I have some paddy mushroom mycelia in solution and am going to put the liquid cultures into our GQF Sportsman incubator (we have several on hand from our poultry days). It has a bucket on top for constant humidity and an electronic thermostat. It's my hope that with this contraption, maybe we can come to an 'understanding' with these temperate mushrooms. I've tried to find more info using the search feature but haven't found a lot....

Man I like that! Puts my homemade one to shame. :smile:

You wont need to run the humidity with it.

Any time now you will be completely bombarded with "you don't need an incubator..." I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet! :lol:

--------------------
Gypsum/Drywall Tek

The human race's prospects of survival were considerably better when we were defenceless against tigers than they are today when we have become defenceless against ourselves.
-Arnold J. Toynbee

Invisiblewildrose
Learner
Female
    #12044993 - 02/17/10 05:43 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, I'm hoping they can do something for us besides gather dust.

I tend to have a habit of stirring the pot... :facepalm3: 

I look forward to reading responses though!

Offlinefaffle
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#12045072 - 02/17/10 06:58 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I've come close to having a bad experience with an incubator once.  Last year, about this time, I had started 24 jars, and had them incubating in the lab (this is at my school), and it was about 68 degrees F.  My co-manager called me one day and said, "hey, I think it's too cold in the lab, do you think I should put the jars in the incubator?"  I said "no, they're fine, leave them there."  Then a few days later he approached me again with the same question, and I told him 'no'.  The next day, I went in the lab in the morning, and saw that half of the jars were missing.  I knew immediately that he had placed them in the incubator, so I marched over there, and sure enough, there they were--after I told him TWICE not to do it.  The dial on the incubator was cranked to 85.  (this is one of those really nice incubators in a science lab)  The problem was, the dial was not in degrees F, it was simply a 0-100 dial.  The thermometer inside read 100F.  So, in a fit of rage, I yanked the jars out, accidentally knocked the thermometer out, it crashed on the ground, spilling mercury all over, and put the jars back in room temperature.  The jars were hot to the touch, and I was FURIOUS.

I then texted him saying 'DO NOT PUT THE JARS IN THE INCUBATOR, ROOM TEMPERATURE IS IDEAL'.  He texted me back saying '86F is ideal', which was based on some stupid oyster mushroom printout he read.  So I replied 'THE INCUBATOR IS NOT IN DEGREES FARENHEIT, YOU MAY HAVE KILLED OUR JARS' and after that day, he never fiddled with our mushrooms again.  I just couldn't understand why he refused to listen to me, especially since by that time I had grown hundreds of spawn jars with consistent results, based on sound instructions here on the shroomery.  I guess some people just insist on doing it their way, because their ego has outgrown their ability. Listen to RR, incubators are for chicken eggs!!

--------------------

OfflineMephistophelian
Quasi Hob-Nobbery
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Camp Crystal Lake
Re: My latest Pearl oyster logs [Re: faffle]
    #12047440 - 02/17/10 02:18 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Well faffle, from what I understand what Rose is saying is that she's wanting to use it strictly for growing these hot mushrooms rather then using it to bake spawn jars. I can relate that I'd like a confined space to grow more temperate mushrooms instead of having to heat an entire room...but I think if one has a solid solution for having a warm 'growing chamber' rather then a spawn jar incubation chamber you'd be ok.

At least in terms of Paddy Straw or Calocybe Indica's (extending beyond gourmet the temperate actives).

--------------------
Master Slants Made Simple

Offlinefungisfarmer
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: My latest Pearl oyster logs [Re: Mephistophelian]
    #12047602 - 02/17/10 02:38 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Can we talk about incubating jars in some other thread. This is kind of like my oyster logs grow log.

Anyways I'll take some new pics later tonight to post up in here.

Offlinenexus1946
Rebel
 User Gallery

Re: My latest Pearl oyster logs [Re: faffle]
    #12049121 - 02/17/10 06:01 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

faffle said:incubators are for chicken eggs!!

:lmafo: Told ya'! :lol:

Sorry OP.

--------------------
Gypsum/Drywall Tek

-Arnold J. Toynbee

Offlinefungisfarmer
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: My latest Pearl oyster logs [Re: nexus1946]
    #12049345 - 02/17/10 06:34 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

No problem dude

I'm starting to get some more pronounced caps starting to form now. Things are looking much better than my last logs did.

Offlinefungisfarmer
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #12049535 - 02/17/10 06:57 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Invisibleratdog
wild capture trader
Male User Gallery

Loc: Colorado mount. top
    #12049746 - 02/17/10 07:22 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

here is one in operation. works good if you live in a cold place and you know how to work it.

i use the water tray no bucket on top

be shore you do not have too much nitrogen in your mix....... i put some alfalfa in once and well the thing heated up too much from the reaction and wasted a few sacks one night. IE. temp set at 65 with backup set at 68 the bags brought the temp up to 80

wish it had a cool setting on the backup in case it gets too hot.
lol

it works great try it if you have one from the chicken farm but not worth the expense. the heat coil and thermostats are cheaper to buy and build your own if you can. and it might wind up bigger.

works good for bags jars petri etc.

--------------------
some people just don't get it:spank:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11241796
so here is a video or two or three for you guys:rolleyes:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds