Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

Chemical Pneumonia
    #1204067 - 01/09/03 01:05 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I thought I would post some info on this subject since I believe I gave myself a slight case of this. My lab is in a very small room and I mist frequently with a 10:1 mix of chlorine bleach and water. For the past 3 days my upper lungs have been burning. Only a mild case, but I thought others should know of the possible danger. This is not a true cultivation topic, but related I think.

http://www.shieldalloy.com/vanchemacute.html

AWG

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledeanofmean
mycophagous

Loc: PNW
Re: Chemical Pneumonia [Re: ]
    #1204295 - 01/09/03 02:58 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

sorry to hear that .
chlorine is nasty stuff alright .
if your'e going to be spraying the air use 10% isopropyl and don't over do it . stand back from the spray and wait for the mist to settle .
and btw you probably already know this, but don't ever mix bleach with ammonia,the gas is so deadly you won't get the time to leave the room .
well, hope your'e feeling better soon man .

Edited by deanofmean (01/09/03 03:02 PM)

Invisiblefunkymonk
Get's down, withthe get-down.
 User Gallery

Loc: saskatchewan
Re: Chemical Pneumonia [Re: deanofmean]
    #1204330 - 01/09/03 03:14 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Hydrogen Peroxide and water works well too.....Lysol would be another option...Could even get the scented stuff, and it double's as deodorant... :crazy: 

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
    #1206260 - 01/10/03 08:08 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I can empathise. i have done this to myself. in preparing a basement (~1000ft2) I went overboard with the bleach (spraying every surface and wiping) this caused me to have headaches and the taste of "chlorine" in my throat for about a week. also my lungs felt pneumoniatic (sp). any further exposure to bleach (from ocasional misting before leaving the room) aggravated my throat and lungs. the best advice I can give you is to "abstain" from bleach for at least 2 weeks or at least you have FULLY 100% recovered. i think there is a buildup effect in the body and it takes time for it to get out of your system and for your respiratory system to heal. also, like getting sick on a food and then that food making you nauseous from now on, bleach smell will make you queasy and get that metallic taste in your throat from now on. bleach releases dioxin which is proven highly carcinogenic. don't expose yourself to it anymore. I still use bleach for sterilizing some surfaces but i refuse to spray the mist in the air ANYMORE, EVER. lysol, isopropyl, and h202 (in order of effectiveness) will work and bleach is really too dangerous to mess with other than maybe 1st time sterilization of things going into your work area. thank god I finally did recover, good luck to you.

edit: just read your link. good warning info. i DID willingly (it said no one would) expose my self to high concentrations (trying to get done and get out). at least I was damn sure that nothing in that room survived, the room reeked of bleach for over a week.

Edited by debianlinux (01/10/03 08:11 AM)

InvisibleEthnoJimmy
Voyage thegalaxy

Re: Chemical Pneumonia [Re: debianlinux]
    #1206281 - 01/10/03 08:20 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I'm assuming you folks aren't wearing filter masks? You can pick them up at Home Depot and hardware stores for around $20.00. As you've already seen, it's probably worth the investment.

--------------------
Don't walk behind me, I will not lead?
Don't walk in front of me, I will not follow?
Just walk beside me and be a friend.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Chemical Pneumonia [Re: EthnoJimmy]
    #1206291 - 01/10/03 08:23 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

nope, considered it but the cost was prohibitive at the time and I thought I could bleach/wipe before the fumes toook me over. wrong/mistake/learning experience.

InvisibleEthnoJimmy
Voyage thegalaxy

#1206301 - 01/10/03 08:26 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

That old, "live and learn" thing.  :wink: 

--------------------
Don't walk behind me, I will not lead?
Don't walk in front of me, I will not follow?
Just walk beside me and be a friend.

Anonymous

#1206651 - 01/10/03 11:08 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the replies. I have been aware of this being a mechanic for 10 years and owning my own shop. Reading many an MSDS sheet (can be scary stuff laying around your house). Just though fellow shroomerites could use the knowledge, especially if they where not aware of the real danger of common chemicals in small spaces.

Offlineneonhigh
blah
    #1207212 - 01/10/03 03:21 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Just a note about the masks:

Don't get cheap and purchase the paper masks. These barely filter anything at all. You need a respirator. I would put organic vapor cartridges in it as well, as most chemicals you'll be dealing with fall into this class. The vapors may seem harmless now, but over time, exposure to household chemicals damage neurons, and cause some really strange physical side effects.

Better safe than sorry...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation