Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepillsbury420
psychedelicscientist

Newbie Contamination worries. Should i be this terrified?
    #1199551 - 01/08/03 04:04 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

:confused: Hi all.  I LOVE the shroomery.  This is my first time posting though i've studied this site for a while.  Anyway, on to my question.  I've decided to grow shrooms.  I've stuided the teks over and over and know them by heart.  But here's the thing..  My house is no labratory.  It's an old house that i rent.  It's not completely filthy but it's not a doctors office either.  Now.. i understand you have to be carefull about contamination.  That's no problem by me.  And hell, if i were to lose my first batch of jars due to contamination.. well thats a learning experince, no big deal.  However, id like to know what are the chances of the mycellium being totally white.. growing fine.. me birthing the cakes.. and me having toxic mushrooms growing from undetectable contams.  That is the reason i havent tried this yet.  What are the odds of that happening?  Is it safe to say that if the mycellium stays white.. and nice shrooms grow.. then they are ok?  Or is it possible for poisnous mushies to grow due to contams?  Thanks in advance for any replies.  this site ROCKS! 

--------------------
The day you were born, you were born free. That is your privilege.

I forgot to remember.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: Newbie Contamination worries. Should i be this terrified? [Re: pillsbury420]
    #1199563 - 01/08/03 04:12 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

id like to know what are the chances of the mycellium being totally white.. growing fine.. me birthing the cakes.. and me having toxic mushrooms growing from undetectable contams.

Extremely unlikely.
Quote:

Is it safe to say that if the mycellium stays white.. and nice shrooms grow.. then they are ok?

Yes. Contaminations are not difficult to spot and most of them are more of a nuisance than a health hazard.  :smile:

EDIT: If you are ever unsure about a possible contam,  there are a bunch of friendly folks in the contam forum that can help you out.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Edited by dog (01/08/03 04:16 AM)

InvisibleEthnoJimmy
Voyage thegalaxy

Re: Newbie Contamination worries. Should i be this terrified? [Re: pillsbury420]
    #1199564 - 01/08/03 04:15 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

As long as you Lysol the crap out of everything, and make sure your room doesn't have any moving drafts, then everything should be ok. I haven't heard of poisoness mushroom spores populating already growing mycelium, then taking over and fruiting, and I probably wouldn't worry too much about it. If the jars make it through the first phase, you may just get mushrooms out of the experience.  :crazy:

Good luck,
Jim 

--------------------
Don't walk behind me, I will not lead?
Don't walk in front of me, I will not follow?
Just walk beside me and be a friend.

Offlinefrank_grimes
Warrior of Corporate Bullshit
 User Gallery

Loc: Springfield, USA
Re: Newbie Contamination worries. Should i be this terrified? [Re: EthnoJimmy]
    #1199573 - 01/08/03 04:20 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

As long as you Lysol the crap out of everything, and make sure your room doesn't have any moving drafts, then everything should be ok.

My thoughts exactly...

-Grimey

Offlinepillsbury420
psychedelicscientist

Re: Newbie Contamination worries. Should i be this terrified? [Re: frank_grimes]
    #1199677 - 01/08/03 04:59 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

:smile: Thanks a lot for the replies everyone.  You've put my mind at ease.  Once again.. the shroomery ROCKS.  I can't believe i recieved replies so quickly.  Thanks to all! 

--------------------

I forgot to remember.

Offlinebjkroll
Addict

Loc: Detroit
Re: Newbie Contamination worries. Should i be this terrifie [Re: pillsbury420]
    #1199761 - 01/08/03 05:45 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

If you haven't started the process already, there are many additions to the PF Tek for a more assured sterilization.

--------------------
"Everybody who's famous sucked the dick to get where they are today.
The only difference between us and them? We swallowed it." - Jimmy Urine

Offlinepillsbury420
psychedelicscientist

Re: Newbie Contamination worries. Should i be this terrifie [Re: bjkroll]
    #1200152 - 01/08/03 08:07 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks man.. I havent started the process yet.. and any pointers you could pass on to me would be greatly appriceated :wink: Thanks shroomery! 

--------------------

I forgot to remember.

Offlinegee_bone
Seeker FromNature

Re: Newbie Contamination worries. Should i be this terrifie [Re: pillsbury420]
    #1200215 - 01/08/03 08:26 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Heh, when I showed an old friend my aparatus and then told him that the next flush would coincide with a cabin party way North, he had concerns. He was concerned that there might be some problems that even I couldn't detect, though I was growing them, and we might end up getting poisoned some way. Quite Natural.

I reminded him of the many times in Undergrad we happily devoured grams of shrooms from some dude with Dreds we had just met at a party.

He thought about it for about half a second and said 'fair enough'.

--------------------
Dissidents are punished far more by themselves than by society.

OfflineMacey Howard
Formally MOE HOWARD
Female

Loc: Georgia
Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: pillsbury420]
    #1200881 - 01/08/03 12:02 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------
Hugs and Kisses!

Invisibletheseeker
addict
 User Gallery
    #1201633 - 01/08/03 03:38 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I stupidly ate some fruits off a contaminated cake once.  Here's what happened: The humidity had dropped and the outside of the cake was starting to get hard, probably keeping the "green" mostly inside the cake.  The trip was kind of uncomfortable and there were lapses of horror, outside of that I didn't get sick and felt fine the next day.  It was like eating too much mexican food, but laughing my ass off for a few hours.  I didn't realize the cake was contaminated until the next day when I broke it open and saw a nice chunk of green inside.

With casings - I always get white dots on the casing layer before I get the green.  When this happens I cut out the infected area, always the substrate underneath the casing layer is green, add hydrogen peroxide to the sides of what I cut out (it doesn't matter it still comes back) and let the rest of the casing fruit.  I personally wouldn't recommend eating fruits off a contaminated casing, but to me it's been okay.

What I'm saying is, don't worry about going to the hospital and dying.  It's not gonna happen.  :smirk: 

OfflineSHR00M0L0GIST
Psilocybin Test Subject
Male

Loc: Mescaland
Re: Newbie Contamination worries. Should i be this terrified? [Re: Macey Howard]
    #1201665 - 01/08/03 03:46 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

then you should know to post CONTAMINATION related questions in the CONTAMINATION fourm

LOL, thats exactly what I was thinking.

Just chill. Contamination is not usually a problem if you take the necessary steps in sterilization. Its really not as hard as you think. Just take care of your babies and they will take care of you. LOL Good luck man!

Edited by SHR00M0L0GIST (01/08/03 03:47 PM)

OfflineAngry Mycologist
Spontaneouslycombusting

Loc: Galapagos
    #1201696 - 01/08/03 03:54 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Lysol was made with mycologists in mind  :tongue: 

--------------------
The proper penalty of ignorance, which is of course that those who don't know should learn from those who do... - Plato

Invisibledeprave
GrandmasterToker

Loc: DownUnder
Re: Newbie Contamination worries. Should i be this terrified? [Re: Angry Mycologist]
    #1202598 - 01/09/03 12:25 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

i know this is off topic,thread, aswell as forum but  :tongue:i like yer new avatar moe =) :smile: :smile: :smile:

--------------------

NONE OF THE ABOVE IS TRUE I LIKE TO WRITE STORIES

Offlinepillsbury420
psychedelicscientist

Re: Newbie Contamination worries. Should i be this terrified? [Re: deprave]
    #1220716 - 01/15/03 08:43 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for all the replies everyone.  And i've finally started are growlog for my first grow!! so if anyone is interested to see how this newbie makes out.. the please stop by.. all comments are welcome!

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Growlog&Number=1220639&Main=1220639#Post1220639

Thanks again!  :cool: 

--------------------

I forgot to remember.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract