Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineboygenius
strangler

Loc: Middle of no-nuthin'
Substitute for filter patch bags.
    #900885 - 09/23/02 02:21 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I love using filter patch bags for PC'ing grains.  Recently, I found myself flat out of
them.  Looking through my bin of supplies,  I noticed a ziplock full of filter discs.
FLASH!  I had a vision of a big bag of spawn with a filter disc jar lid.

I have access to a tile saw so I promptly cut a half dozen pint jars off at about one inch below the shoulder.  Smoothed the edges with a stone used to work tile, and went to the grocery store.  Bought myself a box of oven bags, brought them home, loaded them with birdseed, fed the top of the bag up through the bottom of the cut off jar and folded the excess back over the rim.  Then you use a filter disc and jar band to close it up and PC as usual.  I have usually doubled up the oven bags just to be safe because they are so much thinner than filter patch bags from the myco suppliers.  I have also had success with using plastic jars cut off just below the threads, but have encountered problems with contamination that I have not experienced with glass jar threads.  I am certain that the reason is that the plastic jar threads can't take the temps of PC sterilization and distort, allowing space for contams to enter between the band/thread/bag seal.  I know everyone doesn't have access to a wet-saw for tile, but if you do, this is an option to commercially available filter patch bags.  Just an idea, worked for me, thought I'd share.  :wink: 

--------------------
"It's too nice of a day to be stupid indoors"  ~ Ren

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDreaMaTrix
Shaman I am

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Falling into place
Re: Substitute for filter patch bags. [Re: boygenius]
    #901450 - 09/23/02 09:59 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Nice one :smile:

Good luck

--------------------

"We are the one's we have been waiting for" - Hopi saying

Offlinezodd man
Stranger

Loc: uk Flag
    #10251178 - 04/28/09 06:11 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

that sounds like a hell of a lot of work when you can get a own brand drinking bottle, cut of the lid and use that in place of your butchered glass bottle., the ons i use are autoclavable.

im hoping this oven bag spawn bag thing works because im going to be giving this a try this weekend

do you think i should double up or will i get away with using the one???

--------------------
good vibes to all who trpp

OfflineABC
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Substitute for filter patch bags. [Re: zodd man]
    #10251462 - 04/28/09 07:00 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I'm currently doing this with plastic jars that I cut up with scissors. It is working so far...

OfflineMr.Bojangles
Stranger
    #11986782 - 02/08/10 09:40 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

you can also use good old sterile medical tape to make filter patches on a bag just cut a hole in the bag below where your gonna seal it and put medical tape over the hole if you have trouble making the tape stick through sterilization try using a hot glue gun to seal the tape to the bag also i use old white t-shirts cot into disc type covers for my grain jars you can make patches from polyester or cotton material also and use a hot gluse gun to sealthem to the bag may take a double layer of cloth material to be extra safe. try it out it has had success for me also it is easy to do liquid injection of mycellium through the cloth material. plz reply if yyou try it and it works for you also.

Invisiblenaum
 User Gallery

Re: Substitute for filter patch bags. [Re: Mr.Bojangles]
    #12014163 - 02/12/10 05:17 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

09/23/02 02:21 AM (7 years, 4 months ago)

Way to respond to a > 7 year old post... At least you know how to use quick reply! :facepalm:

--------------------
Let's upgrade our security practices and move toward client-side PGP for encrypted PMs.
My Public PGP Key: hxxps://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24002249#24002249

Offlineduffzilla
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Substitute for filter patch bags. [Re: Mr.Bojangles]
    #12014175 - 02/12/10 05:36 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Mr.Bojangles said:
you can also use good old sterile medical tape to make filter patches on a bag just cut a hole in the bag below where your gonna seal it and put medical tape over the hole if you have trouble making the tape stick through sterilization try using a hot glue gun to seal the tape to the bag also i use old white t-shirts cot into disc type covers for my grain jars you can make patches from polyester or cotton material also and use a hot gluse gun to sealthem to the bag may take a double layer of cloth material to be extra safe. try it out it has had success for me also it is easy to do liquid injection of mycellium through the cloth material. plz reply if yyou try it and it works for you also.

Sounds like you're leaving the adhesive facing shroom side.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag