Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Beware the online test!
    #1201169 - 01/08/03 03:10 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

It has been my experience that most online tests are pretty useless. There are tons of them out there, from "compatability" tests to "personality" tests to IQ tests (completely worthless) to "political leanings" tests.

It's a good idea to take these tests with a very large grain of salt, especially when one can't help but notice that the questions in the tests are badly designed. Political tests are the worst offenders in this regard, with such obviously biased questions as:

Class background should determine peoples' consciousness more than their membership of a particular nation.

Here we are presented with a false choice. The correct answer is NEITHER should determine peoples' consciousness.

Corporations cannot be trusted to voluntarily respect the environment.

Some can, some can't. A meaningless question.

No one can feel naturally homosexual.

How can any honest heterosexual, regardless of their political leanings, check anything but "disagree" or "strongly disagree"? We as heterosexuals have absolutely no way of knowing whether a homosexual feels that way "naturally" or "artificially".

These are the most blatant examples, but many more of the questions on that particular test are so atrociously designed they are meaningless.

For the record, that particular test shows me as Libertarian Right. No surprises on the Economic Left/Right part. The inaccuracy is on the "Libertarian/authoritarian" part of it, where I am not at -8 or -9, but only at a bit over -4. How can that be when I have believed all my life that people should be free to behave however they wish, as long as they don't interfere with the right of others to do the same? How much more Libertarian than that is it possible to be? Apparently the designers of this test believe it is not enough to leave people alone, and not judge any actions of theirs which are non-harmful, one must also aggressively PROMOTE ideas contrary to one's own.

Economic left/right + 7.88
Authoritarian/Libertarian - 4.26

pinky

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: Beware the online test! [Re: Phred]
    #1201215 - 01/08/03 03:25 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yes, online tests should be taken with a grain of salt. Of course, you can't really judge your personality or intelligence with a few simple questions. However, this is true with all tests.

I was very fond of the test you are referring to. It was politically balanced, no matter what you say. I guess your problem with it was becasue the test drew from political stereotypes so heavily. But how else can you judge your political tendencies? Politics are based on precedent, and this test uses precedent to give people some idea.

The test was designed to create discussion. Just because you got a particular number, doesn't mean that is how you are defined. Or maybe it does, and you're not as "extreme" as you would like to think. If you want to complain about tests, consider a more worthy target - www.iqtest.com

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
    #1201227 - 01/08/03 03:30 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I would tend to agree that a couple of the questions on that test were not really worded correctly, but it's not like I'll be treating the results as gospel either. It's just a simple questionaire to give me an idea of shroomerites political beliefs...no need to read too much into it. If you can find I better one, I would be more than happy to use it.

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1201232 - 01/08/03 03:32 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yes that test is crap. I began to take it out of curiosity but soon gave up when I realized there were no correct answers to many of the questions. (from my point of view)

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Re: Beware the online test! [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1201236 - 01/08/03 03:35 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Perhaps because it's NOT a test and there AREN'T any right or wrong answers...it's just a questionaire...sheesh...and you guys think I read too much into things...

--------------------

Anonymous

#1201247 - 01/08/03 03:37 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Interestingly enough this test and the last one posted here showed me as a centrist.  My left right was slightly to the right and my authoritarian/libertarian was 0.10, nearly dead on center.  If someone were to have asked me I would not have guessed I was so far into the middle.

I agree though, the test had a few flaws in the way the question was asked.

Still though I thought Rono did I GREAT job in finding it and I was very pleased to see a real sticky in this forum.  I can't remember the last one before Thor's asking for a Mod.

Great job Rono! :smile:

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Beware the online test! [Re: Rono]
    #1201261 - 01/08/03 03:43 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

right or wrong answers

Of course there are. It's like requiring a yes or no answer to the question... Have you stopped beating your wife?

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: Beware the online test! [Re: Anonymous]
    #1201301 - 01/08/03 04:09 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

It was politically balanced, no matter what you say.

Better than some I've seen, but still the questions are badly worded. Whether it was a deliberate attempt to skew the results or just sloppy design work is irrelevant to me. The one about "class consciousness vs blind patriotism" was a particularly noticeable one, for example.

If you want to complain about tests, consider a more worthy target - www.iqtest.com

For sure. The IQ tests are by far the worst. They are deliberately designed to produce an artificially high score. I once spent some time submitting and resubmitting a particular one in every possible variation until it became apparent that no one could possibly score higher than 170, despite its claims to be accurate to 225. And I don't think I ever saw anyone do worse than around 128 on it.

pinky

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#1201313 - 01/08/03 04:15 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Rono writes:

Perhaps because it's NOT a test and there AREN'T any right or wrong answers...it's just a questionaire...

I must not be explaining myself properly, then. My point is that for many of the questions, I cannot honestly answer either "agree" or "disagree" to the question, because it is worded so that neither answer applies to a Libertarian, despite the claim that it adds the dimension of "Libertarian/authoritarian" to the usual "Left/right" axis. The problem is not that I cannot give the "right" answer, it is that I can give NO answer the way the question is worded, yet it won't let you skip the question.

pinky

--------------------

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

#1201400 - 01/08/03 04:43 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Here's another online political compass I found...but I suspect you'll like this one even less.

Short Quiz

According to that I'm a centrist

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #1201440 - 01/08/03 04:55 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Whoa, I'm all the way to the left on that one.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#1201454 - 01/08/03 04:59 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Libertarian, with a clean 100%, 100% score.

That one has much better designed questions, but is too short and didn't cover enough areas. I think if whoever worded the questions on this one were to fix the questions on the one I complained about, it would be the best of all. Maybe they should collaborate.

pinky

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion