Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | Next >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinegornyhuy
A Myth Intrepidly Met
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Re: The heat shock. A new version of the glorious PF tek [Re: bardleyrichard]
    #12005525 - 02/10/10 09:35 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

bardleyrichard said:
I'm pretty sure nobody is "attacking" this thread or the OP. One poster just pointed out that it is common knowledge (after being on the shroomery for a bit) that cold shocking is not a pinning trigger.
The OP seemed to want to disprove the workings of cold shocking cold shocking, and he did, but it has already been done.
No attacking, just pointing that out.

As I understand it, the main point of this tek is to dry out the cakes a bit during consolidation, causing them to pin very aggressively when they are then hydrated.  A secondary point is to go very heavy on FAE during pinning, somewhat at the expense of humidity.

What does that have to do with cold shocking, or with "re-inventing the wheel"?

--------------------
:mushroom2:Bulk Grow Substrate Calculator Spreadsheet - Download :heartpump: Thread:mushroom2:
*Downloaded over 3,500 times!* Also try the DMT Changa Mix Calculator

Stonesun's Amazing Sclerotia/Stones Guide:mushroom2:Vasodilator List:mushroom2:Niacinamide - reduce trip anxiety

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleJonEveryman88
ಠ_ಠ
 User Gallery

Loc: Land of Maple Syrup Flag
Re: The heat shock. A new version of the glorious PF tek [Re: gornyhuy]
    #12005565 - 02/10/10 09:41 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Nothing at all. The guy making that argument was just on his period or had some sand in his vagina.:lol:

OfflineMontock
Time = $
 User Gallery

#12005618 - 02/10/10 09:49 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

bardleyrichard said:
I'm pretty sure nobody is "attacking" this thread or the OP. One poster just pointed out that it is common knowledge (after being on the shroomery for a bit) that cold shocking is not a pinning trigger.
The OP seemed to want to disprove the workings of cold shocking cold shocking, and he did, but it has already been done.

i read the whole thread, and what i got from it, is that the op is pointing out that that cold shocking is old info, and he is doing the opposite, kinda, introducing extra heat and drying it out prior to dunking, i think its neat to see new concepts, but to me the stress of drying out your cakes, and introducing heat isnt appealing to me, i might give it a try if i ever do the pf tek, which will be quite a few moons down the road if ever, not knocking the pf tek, i just enjoy my mono's

--------------------
Looking for Wife, please pm me your picture and list of skillz.

I'm wrong all the time, my posts are subject to being wrong at any  point or time, get butt hurt at own risk.

Offlinebardleyrichard
My Keyboard Got Damaged
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ohio Flag
Re: The heat shock. A new version of the glorious PF tek [Re: gornyhuy]
    #12005688 - 02/10/10 09:58 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

gornyhuy said:
Quote:

bardleyrichard said:

As I understand it, the main point of this tek is to dry out the cakes a bit during consolidation, causing them to pin very aggressively when they are then hydrated.  A secondary point is to go very heavy on FAE during pinning, somewhat at the expense of humidity.

What does that have to do with cold shocking, or with "re-inventing the wheel"?

I'm not even going to bother trying...
Maybe try reading the thread in it's entirety and then read my post.
I'm off to bed. :sleeping:

--------------------
I find myself yearning for clouds returning, all that the rain promises, and more...

Invisiblegeohoe
Mad Scientist
Loc: Outer Space
Re: The heat shock. A new version of the glorious PF tek [Re: LeopardMan]
    #12005753 - 02/10/10 10:06 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

LeopardMan said:

Not low moisture but high moisture. Anyway I appreciate your advices. Isolating the causes of the results it's not an easy task though.
5 finnish shrooms for you (;))

I had to re-read your post to get that.  Not that your English was poor, I simply misunderstood the hydration procedure.  I'd shroom you back but I'm working on my post count to get the privilege.  Maljanne!

Offlinedread
Power Ranger

Re: The heat shock. A new version of the glorious PF tek [Re: geohoe]
    #12006101 - 02/10/10 10:53 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I would be interested to see someone do a scientific experiment with this.  Since Leo is using MS it is difficult to determine if his success is due to the heat shocking or not.  I am not in a position to grow right now otherwise i would try it myself.  Leo you could clone one of your shrooms and then do an experiment with two groups of cakes in the same fc and keep all the variables constant except have one group exposed to the heat shock and one group not, then you could prove your theory.  Right now the correlation is indeed interesting but it it does not prove cause and effect.  Of course anyone else could try this as well.  And Leo thank you for the tek it's always nice to see new stuff on here, especially when it's written out in clear instructions!

InvisibleLeopardMan
Constantly changing
Male

Loc: A tree house
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The heat shock. A new version of the glorious PF tek [Re: Cloneufc]
    #12006913 - 02/11/10 01:47 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Cloneufc said:
Quote:

LeopardMan said:
Cold shocking is considered a pinning trigger. First mistake. I am not trying to reinvent the wheel, just sharing some ideas that need to be tested again and again. Second mistake.

Quote:

Cloneufc said:
The tek requires unnecessary steps.

Please explain.

Quote:

You'll get better flushes with hydrated cakes overall. The reason your still getting good flushes is that cubensis is real forgiving.

I believe you. Let me see your cakes then. :lol:

"Cold shocking is considered a pinning trigger" LeopardMan

"So funny. I've never said cold shocking is a pinning trigger" LeopardMan

Maybe it's just me but I see a difference. :shrug:

Quote:

The need for a heatbomb is an unnecessary step.

You know what? You talk like a politician. Brief statements without explanations.

Quote:

I havent messed with cakes in years.

I've noticed that.

Quote:

I do bulk. I dont get the best pinset but I make up for it in pounds. Cakes are cute you get grams.

Wow. I am trembling.

--------------------

You have to die a few times before you can really live.

-Charles Bukowski-

OfflineFahkface
Over-Fiend
Male User Gallery

Loc: In your Mind, Pedro! In y...
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The heat shock. A new version of the glorious PF tek [Re: LeopardMan] * 1
    #12006994 - 02/11/10 02:11 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

OK, I tried to fly over every post that was made so far and didn't find what I was looking for. If it was said before, I apologize for being such a lazy reader.

I guess by now, we all know, that dunking in the fridge and Cold Shocking are two different things.
While dunking in the fridge is indeed done in order to reduce the chance of bacterial growth, cold shocking is a longer period the mushroom is set to cold conditions.
Cold shocking has nothing to do with water, but just with temperatures.

What didn't came up in this thread yet (and that was what I was looking for), is that cold shocking is indeed a pinning trigger. Just not for Psilocybe cubensis or any other tropic species, but for mushrooms, that grow in moderate temperature zones.
Psilocybe azurescens or Psilocybe cyanescens are two examples that benefit from cold shocking.
As you probably know, these species develop during spring and summer and fruit in fall.
Preferable after a longer period of low temperatures between 40 and 50 degrees.
The mycelium of these species grows perfectly fine in the same temperatures the mycelium of any tropic species grows in. They won't fruit in these temperatures, though.
That is the reason why they benefit from being set to cold conditions over a period of about 10 days in order to give the mushroom an additional signal, that the right time "of the year" has come to develop fruit bodies.
The temperatures they mature in don't need to be that cold. But they obviously need a period of cold weather condition to fruit in the first place.

I hope that clears things up.

Once again: If this has been said before in this thread, I apologize for being a superfluous smart ass:stoned:

InvisibleLeopardMan
Constantly changing
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #12007010 - 02/11/10 02:17 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

bardleyrichard said:

This is ridicolous. Like gornyhuy said this tek has nothing to do with cold shocking. There are only two occurences of the expression and there are more than 1000 words in the whole document.

I've not tried to disprove anything.

--------------------

-Charles Bukowski-

InvisibleLeopardMan
Constantly changing
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The heat shock. A new version of the glorious PF tek [Re: Fahkface]
    #12007019 - 02/11/10 02:22 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Fahkface said:
OK, I tried to fly over every post that was made so far and didn't find what I was looking for. If it was said before, I apologize for being such a lazy reader.

I guess by now, we all know, that dunking in the fridge and Cold Shocking are two different things.
While dunking in the fridge is indeed done in order to reduce the chance of bacterial growth, cold shocking is a longer period the mushroom is set to cold conditions.

What didn't came up in this thread yet (and that was what I was looking for), is that cold shocking is indeed a pinning trigger. Just not for Psilocybe cubensis or any other tropic species, but for mushrooms, that grow in moderate temperature zones.
Psilocybe azurescens or Psilocybe cyanescens are two examples that benefit from cold shocking.
As you probably know, these species develop during spring and summer and fruit in fall.
The mycelium of these species grows perfectly fine in the same temperatures the mycelium of any tropic species grows in. They won't fruit in these temperatures, though.
That is the reason why they benefit from being set to cold conditions over a period of about 10 days in order to give the mushroom an additional signal, that the right time "of the year" has come to develop fruit bodies.
The temperatures they mature in don't need to be that cold. But they obviously need a period of cold weather condition to fruit in the first place.

Once again: If this has been said before in this thread, I apologize for being a superfluous smart ass:stoned:

Thanks Fahkface. That's exactly what I said. I would be curious to know your opinion about the whole tek though. Constructive criticism would be much appreciated.:wink:

--------------------

-Charles Bukowski-

OfflineCloneufc
Master Exploder!
Male

Loc: Las Vegas Flag
    #12007047 - 02/11/10 02:31 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Its not an attack on LeopardMan. There are hundreds of pictures on here with people having the same results as LeopardMan without that pinning strategy. The same results using the regular PF tek. Having a good pinset is partly due to MS genetics. Do you think all of his cakes have that great of a pinset? Of course not. He's just taking pictures of his best ones. Im not knocking the flushes they are great but he's not the only one to get flushes like this. Myself and many others have gotten similar results using the regular PF tek. I hate to say the truth but many noobs come on here looking for the magic bullet. When the Oven tek or other bogus teks came out, it became the stable for noobs. I call some of the teks on here SNAKE OIL.

Someone else on here brought up a good point. The best way to test this theory is with several people using an isolate.

For those of you who dont understand what reinventing the wheel means, it means the PF tek is as good as it gets for cakes, just like a circle is as good as it gets for a wheel.

OfflineFahkface
Over-Fiend
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #12007061 - 02/11/10 02:36 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

A mixture of drying and misting has shown to act as a major pinning trigger in the past. As long as the water that got lost is replaced properly it seems to be beneficial to let a substrate be on the dry side for short periods of time. You shouldn't overdo it though. You don't want to harm the mycelium.

However you do not want standing water on pins or primordia for a longer time. This will mostly result in aborts. Not only in my experience, but in the experience of many other people as well.
You're supposed to mist cakes directly as long as enough FAE is provided in order to give the water, that's not soaked off by the cake/verm, a chance to evaporate.
Standing water is always a good way to get contams. So be careful with this as well.

I yet have no idea, weather your tek (that's indeed written in a fine way:thumbup:) is a general improvement. It is, however a try. if it works for you, it might work for other people as well.

I will give it try, just to see what happens.
I'll use an isolate for best comparison.

Quote:

Its not an attack on LeopardMan. There are hundreds of pictures on here with people having the same results as LeopardMan without that pinning strategy. The same results using the regular PF tek. Having a good pinset is partly due to MS genetics. Do you think all of his cakes have that great of a pinset? Of course not. He's just taking pictures of his best ones. Im not knocking the flushes they are great but he's not the only one to get flushes like this. Myself and many others have gotten similar results using the regular PF tek. I hate to say the truth but many noobs come on here looking for the magic bullet. When the Oven tek or other bogus teks came out, it became the stable for noobs. I call some of the teks on here SNAKE OIL.

Someone else on here brought up a good point. The best way to test this theory is with several people using an isolate.

For those of you who dont understand what reinventing the wheel means, it means the PF tek is as good as it gets for cakes, just like a circle is as good as it gets for a wheel.

I know where you coming from. No doubt about it.
I too had results like this plenty of time.
But that's not really what it's about.
"New teks" should always be enjoyed with care.
His tek is a concept and as far as I have seen it, he never actually claimed it's "the new way to go".
In my opinion it's highly important, that new methods are tested. Sharing ideas in these forums is a good way to inspire people to test them and give their statement about it.
As we can see, when we take a look at the past, many methods are outdated, because people came up with new insights and teks.
This does not mean, that what he wrote actually benefits anything, but this has to be tested.
That's my opinion about new teks.
Mushrooms are quite a mysterious life form and we still know next to nothing about it. Time has shown, that logic often resulted in failure, when it comes to mushrooms. But sometimes it helps.
We should try to find out about it, shouldn't we?

Edited by Fahkface (02/11/10 02:42 AM)

InvisibleLeopardMan
Constantly changing
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #12007072 - 02/11/10 02:45 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Fahkface said:
A mixture of drying and misting has shown to act as a major pinning trigger in the past. As long as the water that got lost is replaced properly it seems to be beneficial to let a substrate be on the dry side for short periods of time. You shouldn't overdo it though. You don't want to harm the mycelium.

However you do not want standing water on pins or primordia for a longer time. This will mostly result in aborts. Not only in my experience, but in the experience of many other people as well.
You're supposed to mist cakes directly as long as enough FAE is provided in order to give the water, that's not soaked off by the cake/verm, a chance to evaporate.
Standing water is always a good way to get contams. So be careful with this as well.

I yet have no idea, weather your tek (that's indeed written in a fine way:thumbup:) is a general improvement. It is, however a try. if it works for you, it might work for other people as well.

This is a great analysis. And I am looking forward to know your results. About standing water: the so called "slow dunk" technique was inspired by tahoe:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/9631950#9631950

I am not saying you don't have good reasons to say it could have a negative effect on pins though. Thank you very much for your comment.

--------------------

-Charles Bukowski-

InvisibleLeopardMan
Constantly changing
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #12007076 - 02/11/10 02:48 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Fahkface said:
His tek is a concept and as far as I have seen it, he never actually claimed it's "the new way to go".
In my opinion it's highly important, that new methods are tested. Sharing ideas in these forums is a good way to inspire people to test them and give their statement about it.
As we can see, when we take a look at the past, many methods are outdated, because people came up with new insights and teks.
This does not mean, that what he wrote actually benefits anything, but this has to be tested.
Mushrooms are quite a mysterious life form and we still know next to nothing about it. Time has shown, that logic often resulted in failure, when it comes to mushrooms. But sometimes it helps.

:congrats::thumbup::cheer:

--------------------

-Charles Bukowski-

OfflineCloneufc
Master Exploder!
Male

#12007078 - 02/11/10 02:50 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

LeopardMan said:
Quote:

Fahkface said:

Thanks Fahkface. That's exactly what I said. I would be curious to know your opinion about the whole tek though. Constructive criticism would be much appreciated.:wink:

Thats not what you said. This tek is on Psilocybe Cubensis."Just not for Psilocybe cubensis or any other tropic species." I stand correct on all accounts.

OfflineKysmoker
Shroomer In Training
Male

#12007085 - 02/11/10 02:53 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I personally believe more testing should be done using this method to see if it has some real merit, and thats clearly what the OP intends. How consistent were your results using that method leopard?

Ofcourse, that wont tell us what we want to know, but im just curious. The only real way to test this method will be using an isolated strain and comparing it to the traditional pk tek.

Cant wait to see fahkfaces results :laugh:

And good job bringing in a new idea leopard.

--------------------
Your class, your caste, your country, sect, your name or your tribe
There's people always dying trying to keep them alive
There are bodies decomposing in containers tonight
In an abandoned building where
A squatter's made a mural of a Mexican girl
With fifteen cans of spray paint in a chemical swirl
She's standing in the ashes at the end of the world
Four winds blowing through her hair

-Four Winds by Bright Eyes

OfflineCloneufc
Master Exploder!
Male

#12007086 - 02/11/10 02:54 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Fahkface said:

Quote:

I can agree with that. I gave constructive criticism and LeopardMan went ape shit because I was the only one who didnt shake his dick.

InvisibleLeopardMan
Constantly changing
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #12007087 - 02/11/10 02:54 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Cloneufc said:
Its not an attack on LeopardMan. There are hundreds of pictures on here with people having the same results as LeopardMan without that pinning strategy. The same results using the regular PF tek. Having a good pinset is partly due to MS genetics. Do you think all of his cakes have that great of a pinset? Of course not.

You didn't read my previous threads. Here is a quote:

So far I experimented with 3 different MS projects (3 different strains). Never gone below 65 grams wet from first flush, often over 80 grams and sometimes over 100. What does this mean? Scientifically it means nothing. Howewer hitting the genetic jackpot three times in a row is very unlikely. But since it's not impossible I am going to take some more time to test this tek.

Quote:

He's just taking pictures of his best ones.

:picard:

Quote:

Im not knocking the flushes they are great but he's not the only one to get flushes like this. Myself and many others have gotten similar results using the regular PF tek. I hate to say the truth but many noobs come on here looking for the magic bullet. When the Oven tek or other bogus teks came out, it became the stable for noobs. I call some of the teks on here SNAKE OIL.

That's why I decided to post this tek.

--------------------

-Charles Bukowski-

Offlinemadi
Hullu Mykologi
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: North-Europe
    #12007088 - 02/11/10 02:55 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Nice results, maybe I'll try this some day.

OfflineFahkface
Over-Fiend
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #12007091 - 02/11/10 02:56 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

As we know, water is extremely important for the fruits to mature properly. They consist of 90% water, so it's no wonder.
What we also know, is that standing water in high temperatures is a good way to let bacteria grow.
We all know, that old water can smell extremely nasty. Think about why.
What you want is as much water as possible, while, at the same time as much FAE as possible. FAE is the main protection from contams in unsterile environments.
When enough FAE is provided you won't get contams. That's the way nature does it.
If you have standing water on your cakes and improper FAE, you'll be lucky not to get molds etc.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | Next >

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract