Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | Next >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleLeopardMan
Constantly changing
Male

Loc: A tree house
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How LM makes his cakes [Re: libertaire]
    #12262132 - 03/24/10 12:12 PM (14 years, 8 days ago)

I've tried a couple of times so far with coir. Good results, not exceptional. I had an incredibile number of hyphal knots but most of them didn't mature. The problem is always the same: giving the right amount of water at the right time. I've also tried to let my grains dry before spawning and they showed a very rhizomorphic growth. But this doesn't prove anything. It's up to you now guys. It's great that this thread is back on the right track :super:

To lib: use less water and let it colonize like normal. The sub will be dry enough without opening the lid. You can maybe also try using some heat source like a heatpad. :shrug: What do you think?

--------------------

You have to die a few times before you can really live.

-Charles Bukowski-

Edited by LeopardMan (03/24/10 12:35 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleplurfekt
Finally Grateful

Loc: USA
Re: How LM makes his cakes [Re: LeopardMan]
    #12265403 - 03/24/10 07:46 PM (14 years, 7 days ago)

Lol the Rabbit has spoken. :thumbup:

Well, I cased 2.5 chilean cakes in a little container, its mostly colonized..  was going to do a flat cake tek, I could try heatshocking it, then dunking it and find a way to give it a proper moisture reservoir, see if I can get it to pin all the way across the top, micro-canopy of fungus..  Could have real potential with casings because of the large surface area and heavy pinning, I think bulk sub would probably not respond as well to the heat shock in terms of recovery, but I would think if done right it would still be beneficial.

I just picked up another 12 jars (finally got the wider, smaller wide-mouth jars), putting me up to 35 jars.  I have 15 already colonizing, 20 punched and taped and ready to go, my friend has three Transkei prints were going to make up but I was gonna make up an extra Hawaiian syringe tonight, so it will be mostly Transkei and some Hawaiian, or just all Transkei (most likely, if theres enough spores, friend has a lot of jars to do as well).

InvisibleLeopardMan
Constantly changing
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How LM makes his cakes [Re: plurfekt]
    #12265448 - 03/24/10 07:51 PM (14 years, 7 days ago)

you are doing a great job :super: Keep it up

--------------------

-Charles Bukowski-

Offlinegornyhuy
A Myth Intrepidly Met
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
    #12282360 - 03/27/10 11:54 AM (14 years, 5 days ago)

Nice!  Glad to see this thread come back around to a positive swing!!:1up:

--------------------
:mushroom2:Bulk Grow Substrate Calculator Spreadsheet - Download :heartpump: Thread:mushroom2:
*Downloaded over 3,500 times!* Also try the DMT Changa Mix Calculator

Stonesun's Amazing Sclerotia/Stones Guide:mushroom2:Vasodilator List:mushroom2:Niacinamide - reduce trip anxiety

InvisibleLeopardMan
Constantly changing
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How LM makes his cakes [Re: gornyhuy]
    #12282913 - 03/27/10 01:19 PM (14 years, 4 days ago)

Thanks Gornyhuy, yes, it's much better. The atmosphere is much more relaxed now :lol:

--------------------

-Charles Bukowski-

OfflineGeminiWolf
Mad Scientist
Female User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in the hills
    #12289752 - 03/28/10 09:05 PM (14 years, 3 days ago)

Hey guys, sorry I dropped off the face of the earth for a while. Life happened, and I got really busy after a long boring winter. Also, my jars took longer to colonize than I thought they would.

Anyway, I birthed them maybe two weeks ago, with a few laggers just over a week ago. 2 just finished flush 2, with average results. However this is in part because I only 'heat shocked' half of the jars.... 2 of the 10 are only JUST starting to pin, and it looks pretty promising. One is COVERED in pins, more than usual, and they showed signs of being dehydrated so I've been misting more, and I injected it with water (sterilized first).

So... we shall see.. I think I may not have the results we are looking for for a couple factors. Becuase of becomming so busy lately I haven't focused on this like I've wanted to.. I need to add more holes to my FC I'm positive..  so the FAE you say MUST be up for pinning is lacking to say the least. I've worked long days so misting and fanning have been cut short too...

Thankfully I think I'll have something to show to support your idea, and I'm going to perfect my own techniques when I get some more time. I've been growing Cambodians, and I have to say they have small in general, compared to other mushrooms. I'm waiting for my monster, so I can print and clone. I have a PE syringe I'm going to knock up a few jars with and give that a go sometime in the near future. I'll try to keep you posted LM.

--------------------

“Your denial is beneath you, and thanks to the use of hallucinogenic drugs, I see through you.” -Bill Hicks

InvisibleLeopardMan
Constantly changing
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How LM makes his cakes [Re: GeminiWolf]
    #12291988 - 03/29/10 10:29 AM (14 years, 3 days ago)

Quote:

GeminiWolf said:
Hey guys, sorry I dropped off the face of the earth for a while. Life happened, and I got really busy after a long boring winter. Also, my jars took longer to colonize than I thought they would.

Anyway, I birthed them maybe two weeks ago, with a few laggers just over a week ago. 2 just finished flush 2, with average results. However this is in part because I only 'heat shocked' half of the jars.... 2 of the 10 are only JUST starting to pin, and it looks pretty promising. One is COVERED in pins, more than usual, and they showed signs of being dehydrated so I've been misting more, and I injected it with water (sterilized first).

So... we shall see.. I think I may not have the results we are looking for for a couple factors. Becuase of becomming so busy lately I haven't focused on this like I've wanted to.. I need to add more holes to my FC I'm positive..  so the FAE you say MUST be up for pinning is lacking to say the least. I've worked long days so misting and fanning have been cut short too...

You are perfectly right. A FAE increase is crucial (togheter with a slow dunk). But I am sure you are already working on it. Hope to see some pics in the next few days :whoo:

Quote:

Thankfully I think I'll have something to show to support your idea, and I'm going to perfect my own techniques when I get some more time. I've been growing Cambodians, and I have to say they have small in general, compared to other mushrooms. I'm waiting for my monster, so I can print and clone. I have a PE syringe I'm going to knock up a few jars with and give that a go sometime in the near future. I'll try to keep you posted LM.

I am intrigued. Take your time to experiment with your cakes and keep us updated. Many thanks chica :super:

--------------------

-Charles Bukowski-

InvisibleMoetsukiru
Stoner Nerd
Male

#12464788 - 04/27/10 11:17 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

This is your cake:

This is your cake on LM's tek: 

Any questions?  :awewtf:

LOL, couldn't resist the reference to the old DARE commercial PSA :super:

Following your guide to cakes has almost doubled my yields and practically tripled my pins.  Thanks again for doing what you do LM :super:

Out of the threads/posts I have bookmarked, you're the author of more than anyone else, with the exception of a certain furry mammal creature with a proper name...

--------------------
Everything I say is a lie or complete fabrication.  Posting on forums as a "character" is a hobby of mine.  Sometimes I pretend I used to grow mushrooms, but really it's just a story based on things I've read on shroomery.org

InvisibleLeopardMan
Constantly changing
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How LM makes his cakes [Re: Moetsukiru]
    #12465646 - 04/27/10 01:32 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

a certain furry mammal creature with a proper name...

:lmafo: I am really happy to know that my posts have been helpful.Thanks for sharing :super:

--------------------

-Charles Bukowski-

Invisibleplurfekt
Finally Grateful

#12466575 - 04/27/10 03:35 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I feel totally left out.

I lost 14 cakes of Transkei (AGAIN!)

My buddies prints weren't sterile (AGAIN! *not using his anymore*)

So now I'm back to square one.  And I decided I didn't want to be the kind of guy who steals (even from corporations), so obtaining a fish tank heater is going to cost me a little money.  It'll be worth it :smile:

LM, I think we use the exact same techniques growing our cubes, except I have yet to incorporate the heat bomb (heatshock, which is essentially what your tek is about).  I can't wait to actually give your Tek the full trial it deserves, I've been peering over at your side of the fence for too long.

I've been experimenting quite a bit though!

I've been getting "okay" results from my cakes, but nothing like I would if I heat shocked.  I know the only difference really is the initial flush, and over-all (per cake) I'm probably getting just as much, but still - that Hawaiian flush I had with the dehydrated cake was so much nicer then what I'm seeing now.

I do have my own "mini-experiments" going at the moment, though!

I've learned that using kitchen bowls with extra inoculation points instead of mason jars with less inoculation points allows for more substrate to be colonized just as fast (due to the substrate being wide instead of deep), and provides much better results.  I can't wait to see how a bowl-cake or better yet (what I'm trying this week) a REAL Pan-Cake (without crumbling or casing!) can achieve, especially once I introduce the heat shock (picture a 13x9 pan with one single solid PF cake, using your heatshock/other methods to induce pinning and maximize fruiting potential).  I am already picturing canopies of fungus on trays with single cakes!

And yes, your tek has opened my mind up to a lot of things!  Answers to questions I never knew to ask!

I'll be back, of course :smile:

EDIT_

This is for the viewers:

Pin sets on Hawaiian cakes WITHOUT heatshocking/dehydration:

WITH DEHYDRATION AKA HEATSHOCK (To be fair I didn't even do it properly!)

:billymaythumbup:

LeopardMan, your cakes still blow mine out of the water but I'm trying to catch up!

Edited by plurfekt (04/27/10 03:41 PM)

OfflineCoreyRubble
Just Getting Started
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right now???? streets :(
    #12466597 - 04/27/10 03:38 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I went to my local goodwill and found a fishtank heater for 3 dollars WOOP WOOP! check there.... there is a lot of people going broke these days and giving everything up

--------------------
fuck it im too high
tryin to find loopholes and shit...
ill report back when my house is a mushroom

-just me-

Invisibleplurfekt
Finally Grateful

Re: How LM makes his cakes [Re: CoreyRubble]
    #12469860 - 04/28/10 02:56 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I actually will check it out I've got one right by my house.  3.00$ - I hope, I wish.

But what wattage was it?

Otherwise I'm paying 40$ for a proper one, easy :facepalm3:

Always a sacrifice, at least it's not to my conscience!

InvisibleLeopardMan
Constantly changing
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #12469885 - 04/28/10 03:08 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

plurfekt said:
I feel totally left out.

I lost 14 cakes of Transkei (AGAIN!)

:whoah: Your friend needs to improve his sterile procedures :lol:

Quote:

My buddies prints weren't sterile (AGAIN! *not using his anymore*)

So now I'm back to square one.  And I decided I didn't want to be the kind of guy who steals (even from corporations), so obtaining a fish tank heater is going to cost me a little money.  It'll be worth it :smile:

A possible alternative: take a tupperware, drill two or three holes, put your cake in there, close the lid and let it dry for 5 days or so. However you can do this only AFTER the consolidation period. If you feel like experimenting, this could be an interesting alternative. Never tried it though. (Furthermore this way you will introduce FAE too soon).

Quote:

LM, I think we use the exact same techniques growing our cubes, except I have yet to incorporate the heat bomb (heatshock, which is essentially what your tek is about).  I can't wait to actually give your Tek the full trial it deserves, I've been peering over at your side of the fence for too long.

I've been experimenting quite a bit though!

I've been getting "okay" results from my cakes, but nothing like I would if I heat shocked.  I know the only difference really is the initial flush, and over-all (per cake) I'm probably getting just as much, but still - that Hawaiian flush I had with the dehydrated cake was so much nicer then what I'm seeing now.

I do have my own "mini-experiments" going at the moment, though!

I've learned that using kitchen bowls with extra inoculation points instead of mason jars with less inoculation points allows for more substrate to be colonized just as fast (due to the substrate being wide instead of deep), and provides much better results.

:super: wide instead of deep is the way to go

Quote:

I can't wait to see how a bowl-cake or better yet (what I'm trying this week) a REAL Pan-Cake (without crumbling or casing!) can achieve, especially once I introduce the heat shock (picture a 13x9 pan with one single solid PF cake, using your heatshock/other methods to induce pinning and maximize fruiting potential).  I am already picturing canopies of fungus on trays with single cakes!

This is interesting indeed! Please keep us updated

Quote:

And yes, your tek has opened my mind up to a lot of things!  Answers to questions I never knew to ask!

I'll be back, of course :smile:

EDIT_

This is for the viewers:

Pin sets on Hawaiian cakes WITHOUT heatshocking/dehydration:

WITH DEHYDRATION AKA HEATSHOCK (To be fair I didn't even do it properly!)

:billymaythumbup:

LeopardMan, your cakes still blow mine out of the water but I'm trying to catch up!

Thank you Plurfekt. Just find a new friend and your cakes will be great :lol:

Invisibleplurfekt
Finally Grateful

#12469940 - 04/28/10 03:44 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Hehe, I believe it's just because my friend lives in a moldy trailer.  I told him I wouldn't use his spores again after the first time they were contaminated, but I didn't want to hurt his feelings (making it seem like he can't make a simple print), and he spent hours trying to convince me that there was no way the new ones were contaminated, so I said I'd give it one more shot.

Lost me a good few weeks and like 12$.

But at least I did the right thing.  (Wait.. did I? haha)

Nah me and my buddy have a good thing going.  We share all of our spores to make for a bigger collection, there has not been a single time where we argued over anything.

And it's not that disappointing to lose some cakes, because in all reality of the situation.. we both have completely run out of space to fruit them!

And a lot of his jars went bad to.

I've got some Argentina's about 75% done that I knocked up on the 13th.  I plan on stacking them.  Since there is seven of them (one extra) I'll give that secondary drying method a go with the spare (if I don't have a fish tank heater by then).

Never should have given the original one I had back to some kid that punked me out of six cakes :facepalm3:

I need to either make a newer/much larger shotgun terrarium or stack all of my cakes from now on.  3 rows of 4 x 2 = 24 cakes in a relatively small amount of space.  I think that would be one hell of a way to utilize a shotgun terrarium.

I still can't believe English is your second language, you are quite articulate, and you seem well briefed and literate in a lot of areas.  I wouldn't have had a clue if you hadn't told us.

talk to you soon I'm sure

InvisibleLeopardMan
Constantly changing
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #12470892 - 04/28/10 11:01 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

plurfekt said:
I still can't believe English is your second language, you are quite articulate, and you seem well briefed and literate in a lot of areas.  I wouldn't have had a clue if you hadn't told us.

talk to you soon I'm sure

You're too kind, I just try to do my best. :jah:
Don't forget to post some pics as soon as your Argentina cakes are ready! :shroomer:

--------------------

-Charles Bukowski-

Invisibleplurfekt
Finally Grateful

#12472504 - 04/28/10 04:16 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I decided to snap a few pictures to share with you.

I wanna know if you think the heatbomb will be sufficient for my "pancakes" - See what I did with these, and picture what they will look like with rectangular cake pans.

I snapped a couple other photo's just for eye candy, too - hope you don't mind.

Here's some pictures of the pancake side & top.  You can see what I did for arranging the inoculation holes, and then I used some glad press & seal to help prevent contaminants.  There is a dry verm layer too.  Just ensuring my sterility.  I knocked this up with orissa india last night, along with a control jar (just in case).

Another photo of where my Argentina jars are at, gives you an idea of when I'll be able to test the secondary dryshock.  And a photo of my first bowl-cake in the fruiting chamber next to a regular cake for size comparison. (Quila)

The other pictures are of a Blue Buddha plant I have, six weeks old (12/12 from seed), and a funny mushroom hookah my buddy brought over yesturday - I have the other hoses too (4).

Let me know what you think the best way to go about heat shocking something like that would be - I kind of just wanted you to see what I'm talking about.  The actual cake-pan will be larger of course, but I'm "working my way up" so to speak.

:awesome2:

InvisibleLeopardMan
Constantly changing
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #12481747 - 04/30/10 02:37 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Pancakes should work fine, look here. So your Argentina jars are almost ready... Very nice, can't wait to see some more pics. Your Blue Buddha looks super healthy, congrats :hatsoff: :bigweed: :gethigh:

--------------------

-Charles Bukowski-

InvisibleBase Icks
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Shroomshire Flag
    #12489250 - 05/01/10 02:47 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Gonna read this when I have time. :thumbup:

OfflineCoreyRubble
Just Getting Started
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right now???? streets :(
Re: How LM makes his cakes [Re: Base Icks]
    #12489328 - 05/01/10 03:06 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

lol its funny you are reporting that you are going to read it instead of reading it and telling LM that you fucking love the way he does cakes and that you are going to do it to the T. like me :smile:
Just built my Heatbomb and put it next to my fully colonized jars YUP YUP. Thanks LM for the awesome ideas
:lovemeds:

--------------------
fuck it im too high
tryin to find loopholes and shit...
ill report back when my house is a mushroom

-just me-

InvisibleLeopardMan
Constantly changing
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How LM makes his cakes [Re: CoreyRubble]
    #12489572 - 05/01/10 03:51 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Good :super: Let us know how it turns out for you :sherlock:

--------------------

-Charles Bukowski-

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | Next >

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract