Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineskullhuman
the skullman cometh
Male User Gallery

Psilocybin health
    #11998987 - 02/10/10 12:23 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Can any of the experts here speak to the physical health effects of psilocybin? Any benefits? Adversities? Generally, most of what I hear on this is simply that it's not physically dangerous.  But something more definitive would be interesting for a change.

--------------------

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGroomies
Ghost
 User Gallery

Re: Psilocybin health [Re: skullhuman]
    #11999200 - 02/10/10 12:57 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

i heard it helps with depression and headaches.

--------------------
:hotidea::hotidea::hotidea:

OfflineMr E Guest
partly animal
 User Gallery

Loc: 404: not found Flag
Re: Psilocybin health [Re: Groomies]
    #12000606 - 02/10/10 09:48 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, psilocybin is being researched as a treatment for cluster headaches (www.clusterbusters.org) and as a treatment for OCD (try searching psilocybin research on www.maps.org).

Anecdotally, I've heard that when used wisely in a ritual context it can be remarkably cleansing psychically and, perhaps as a consequence, physically as a detoxifier. Something that allows you to explore your DNA and bodily energy matrix can in theory be used to treat any disease. It is a matter of technique.

As regards safe dose, a friend recently told me about a guy he'd met who told him about someone who had made an aqueous extraction of psilocybin active mushrooms. Not knowing how to dose with the powder he obtained, he decided to take a gram(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:crazy2: ) Several days later he came back with a different personality and has remained that way ever since, requiring regular visits to the mental health services team.

He (the guy my friend was talking to) then admitted it was in fact himself who had undergone this outlandish experiment (but in a strange way, it was valid for him to talk of someone else who took the mushroom extract...) On a postive note, he is still studying for a degree so his cognitive faculties haven't been completely wiped out.

--------------------
Be joyful. This could be the only chance you get.

All of the above posts are the fevered imaginings of a deluded mind, itself entirely the fictional creation of a somewhat peculiar author with a bizarre sense of humour.

Offlinesolumvita
Q.B.E.
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Psilocybin health [Re: Mr E Guest]
    #12001954 - 02/10/10 02:18 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

a gram? is that a typo?

--------------------
One of these days all the answers will be revealed until then we learn from each other!

www.mushrush.co.za

Offlineripdbagdarr
Stranger

Re: Psilocybin health [Re: solumvita]
    #12002160 - 02/10/10 02:47 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

i believe he's talking about a gram of pure psilocybin not just a gram of mushrooms but the alkaliod

OfflineCoheed88
Amateur Failure
 User Gallery

Re: Psilocybin health [Re: ripdbagdarr]
    #12010799 - 02/11/10 07:45 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Anecdotally and from personal experience, its therapuetic in terms of improving general mood/dysphoria. I wouldn't go as far to say as that it combats depression, because tripping is incredibly inconsistent and can take  you down different thought paths in a split second. You can go from euphoric to suicidal in seconds while on shrooms, so i wouldnt recommend it as a solution if one was suffering from chronic depression or experiencing severe acute depressional phases.

--------------------
You don't like yourself, but you admire yourself - it's all you've got, so you cling to it. You're so afraid that if you change, you'll lose what makes you special. Being miserable doesn't make you better than anyone else, it just makes you miserable..

OfflineMr E Guest
partly animal
 User Gallery

Re: Psilocybin health [Re: solumvita]
    #12010938 - 02/11/10 08:02 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

solumvita said:
Quote:

a gram? is that a typo?

To confirm, no typo. A gram of mushroom alkaloidal extract. Probably unpurified so containing a bit of fatty gubbins too. But still. Even 25mg of pure mushroom alkaloid can be pretty crazy, so let's make a guess at 20 times that for this fellow. Well, he survived. Or rather, someone came back from it! Pretty safe in terms of actual physical toxicity, I guess.

--------------------

All of the above posts are the fevered imaginings of a deluded mind, itself entirely the fictional creation of a somewhat peculiar author with a bizarre sense of humour.

OnlinePrimalSoup
won't you please help my dog?
Other User Gallery

Loc: PNW Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #12013525 - 02/12/10 02:35 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Well, anybody who would dose a gram of alkaloid extract without running any kind of baseline first had a screw or two loose, if you ask me...

Peace
-PS

OfflineMr E Guest
partly animal
 User Gallery

Re: Psilocybin health [Re: PrimalSoup]
    #12014101 - 02/12/10 06:26 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

PrimalSoup said:
Well, anybody who would dose a gram of alkaloid extract without running any kind of baseline first had a screw or two loose, if you ask me...

Peace
-PS

It seems to have been a case of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing. Knowing about extracting mushrooms without knowing how to deal with the resulting extract. Probably (we hope) not a science major. Or, as you say, already a few cards short of a birthday.

--------------------

OfflineJabbawaya

Re: Psilocybin health [Re: Groomies]
    #12034746 - 02/15/10 05:30 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Groomies said:
i heard it helps with depression and headaches.

Quote:

Coheed88 said:
Anecdotally and from personal experience, its therapuetic in terms of improving general mood/dysphoria. I wouldn't go as far to say as that it combats depression, because tripping is incredibly inconsistent and can take  you down different thought paths in a split second. You can go from euphoric to suicidal in seconds while on shrooms, so i wouldnt recommend it as a solution if one was suffering from chronic depression or experiencing severe acute depressional phases.

This pretty much covers it. Speaking scientifically, there has been very little research on the health effects of psilocybin for obvious reasons, and that is very unfortunate given its psychotherapeutic potential. Most of what we think we know is simply anecdotal.

The fact is, though, that psilocybin mushrooms have been used for tens of thousands of years by many different human cultures, and ill effects are virtually unheard of. It seems very unlikely that psilocybin is physically dangerous... unless you hurt yourself while under its effects or something.

--------------------

Offlinecurenado
73rd Man
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Central Arkansas
Re: Psilocybin health [Re: Jabbawaya]
    #12035610 - 02/15/10 07:56 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Check the Psilocybe Medicine thread here and there is more - Yes, they are much more reliable in PHYSICAL medicine than in psychiatric medicine and when they purge bacteria out of you it's gone - ghosts of the mind is still being studied.
If you are interested for personal health you're there - if you're looking for someone else to put money into any study that takes some looking but yes, the OCD thing is not the only psilocybin work going on that isn't mostly smoke and mirrors.
Psych has a hard time because of the difference in people and the "set & setting" problems - physical has less variants and pathogens are pretty much the same i.e. One guy had a good trip one guy had a sad trip - neither had strep throat when the trip was through...
Best Wishes in your explorations!

"I don't believe psychology is a science - and neither did Dr. Lecter."
Know that's from Hannibal but still a personal fave...

--------------------
Yours in the Natural State!
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep; but I have patches to keep, and jars to sterilize before I sleep...."

OfflineMOPE
Walking Chemical Reaction

Re: Psilocybin health [Re: curenado] * 1
    #12036205 - 02/15/10 09:40 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

heres an article about effects of psilocybin and LSD on cluster headaches

http://www.maps.org/w3pb/new/2006/2006_Sewell_22779_1.pdf

heres a study that found that psilocybin can have a very beneficial effect on the users mental health for more than a year after consumption

http://www.maps.org/w3pb/new/2008/2008_Griffiths_23042_1.pdf

using psychedelics as a cure for alcoholism

http://www.maps.org/w3pb/new/1998/1998_Mangini_22901_1.pdf

and treating OCD

http://www.maps.org/w3pb/new/2006/2006_Moreno_22868_1.pdf

hope that helps :thumbup:

--------------------
Got used to the feeling of falling
But you'll never see me following
Bouncing back and forth between the healing and the hollering
Riding the outer ring of my own private saturn
Thoughts scattered all across the grey matter

Offlinecurenado
73rd Man
Male User Gallery

Re: Psilocybin health [Re: MOPE]
    #12037332 - 02/16/10 01:00 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Infection, cancer, copd etc

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1581935/page/2/fpart/1/vc/1 - The Psilocybe Medicine Thread

--------------------
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep; but I have patches to keep, and jars to sterilize before I sleep...."

OfflineOzpulse
Completely Lost!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Black Hole! Flag
Re: Psilocybin health [Re: curenado]
    #12053254 - 02/18/10 01:11 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I have a Tumor in my foot and advanced rhumatoid arthritis aswell as spina bifida, spinal sclerosis and 2 dislodged vertibrae! I have a patch down the road in the forestry, it takes me a while to walk there but after a couple of mushies(enough for a buzz) I can walk around for hours looking at nature and most of the pain is gone!
Probably cause Im wasted!lol

--------------------
..Exploring the Wilds!And taking prints!

Offlinecurenado
73rd Man
Male User Gallery

Re: Psilocybin health [Re: Ozpulse]
    #12053618 - 02/18/10 02:22 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I think it's probably because we already know psybes are very effective in some types of pain management and yours fits the profile. :thumbup: I use them in diabetic neuralgia (neuropathy) because they work better than anything else for severe episodes....wasted is a pleasant side effect of your pain & cancer med.
Best Wishes there too!
:psychsplit:

--------------------

Offlinecurenado
73rd Man
Male User Gallery

#12053644 - 02/18/10 02:26 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I just noticed this:

<<The fact is, though, that psilocybin mushrooms have been used for tens of thousands of years by many different human cultures, and ill effects are virtually unheard of. It seems very unlikely that psilocybin is physically dangerous... unless you hurt yourself while under its effects or something>>

...and those cultures used them for physical illness, not mental ones - yet psychological benefits are all that ever gets touted in modern times!
:lol:

--------------------

OfflineJabbawaya

#12054653 - 02/18/10 05:02 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

curenado said:
...and those cultures used them for physical illness, not mental ones - yet psychological benefits are all that ever gets touted in modern times!
:lol:

That's because there have been virtually no studies on the physical effects of psilocybin. I would love to see more research going into this but for the time being we're only left with anecdotal evidence. It may very well help with certain physical problems, we just don't know.

--------------------

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
Trusted Cultivator
    #12054700 - 02/18/10 05:08 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

a friend recently told me about a guy he'd met who told him about someone

I guess we all know someone like that... :lol:
That said, why is this topic in Advanced Mycology?

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

Offlinecurenado
73rd Man
Male User Gallery

Re: Psilocybin health [Re: German Kahuna]
    #12055100 - 02/18/10 06:21 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

<<It may very well help with certain physical problems, we just don't know. >>

YES we do know - HAVE known. You're calling too many worthwhile people anecdotal - are you a John's Hopkins plant? :lol:
The US is as usual in denial and playing $ games - everything is anecdotal to you that doesn't come from John's Hopkins?
That's not science - that's being stupid on purpose.
Even US treatment centers have reported (so you could believe it - heh - that's sarcasm btw) but the U$ machine gets the dummies and weak minded like a mob (of dummies) and piddles in brainwashing for bucks - pathetic! Glad my private care people who pay for quality don't have to wait like your loved ones 'cause "We're pretending we don't know" :lol:  (Micheal Moore - stupid white men-esque there)

Oh - and BTW - why is this topic in advanced mycology???

And you're right dude - just let them donate and follow the pretty dead lights while the rest of the world has science and walks upright (heh - sorry - it really isn't funny it's embarassing for U.S.)

--------------------

Offlinecurenado
73rd Man
Male User Gallery

#12055152 - 02/18/10 06:29 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Mod Edit: curenado, you are not a doctor. Your MD is a fake you printed up yourself. Stop representing yourself as a doctor or you will be banned from the Shroomery.

Edited by Diploid (02/07/11 11:33 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology