Home | Community | Message Board

North Spore
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Hot Plate, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemcmanusj84
Stranger
No pressure in PC
    #11997892 - 02/09/10 09:13 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

This is my second go around with attempting to use my pressure cooker, and the damn thing still isn't working properly. It's an eight quart PC from presto, just bought it brand new a few weeks ago. My problem is that the Air Vent pops up, but steam still escapes through it. Additionally, the pressure regulator never begins rocking. I have cleaned it with soap and water, following the instructions. It currently has 8 1/2 pint jars resting on top of the metal tray to keep them off of the bottom of the PC. It is filled with approximately 2 inches of water. What's wrong with my PC?

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleShea25
Just some guy
Male

Loc: Westcoast Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: No pressure in PC [Re: mcmanusj84]
    #11997935 - 02/09/10 09:19 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Are you putting it on high at first then waiting for the rocker to rock. Or are you starting it off on a lower setting??

Offlinemurrtheblur
Chillin Chillin
Male

Loc: the stix
    #11997937 - 02/09/10 09:19 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

How long are you running it, what is the stove on? It may take awhile to get up to pressure. where does the water come up to on the jars is it about halfway. THere doesnt sound like there is anything wrong with the cooker, my presto has steam sputer out of the lock before it locks shut and its no problem.
~blur~

OfflineGanjabonga
Chief
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #11997953 - 02/09/10 09:21 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

The vent could be your problem. When building and maintaining pressure it should pop up with no steam getting through the sides.

Could be a failing gasket. Make sure the pressure gauge is in tight and that you have the pressure gauges O ring or gasket on properly. Try again.

Offlinemcmanusj84
Stranger
Re: No pressure in PC [Re: murrtheblur]
    #11997960 - 02/09/10 09:23 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I'm using it on a skillet type of thing, turn it up to 375. I placed the PC on the skillet at 6:15 and then turned the heat on. It was at 375 by 6:30. At 7:15, there was still no rocking of the pressure regulator. Water comes about 1/3 of the way up the jars

Offlinezigzag
Eating Wolf Pussy

Loc: The Mortuary Flag
    #11998156 - 02/09/10 09:56 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

i have an eight quart presto, here is what i do:

put water in the pot

load items in

put the lid on ***WITHOUT THE WEIGHT/ROCKER***

turn heat on high

about ten minutes and pressure spout will pop up

when that happens, let steam vent out of the rocker/weight hole for a few minutes

then and only then, put the weight/rocker on the lid

maintain high heat until weight starts to rock around

reduce heat to around medium and listen/watch the weight, you want it to rock around gently (adjust heat up and down to achieve gentle rocking)

once the weight is rocking you can start your timer

pc's  are strange beasts, a little intimidating.  i use my two a lot and they still seem weird to me. don't worry about a little steam or sputter here and there.  once they start to build pressure they seem to seal themselves up.  maybe you skillet doesn't get hot enough.  try again and just  let it do its thing, it takes a while (like 10 min or so) to build pressure.  follow these steps and see if it helps.  i wouldn't get freaked unless it's shooting steam out like crazy, dangerous crazy.  if that's happening then something is wrong.  pc are noisy and they sound like they're gonna blow up and can be a little scary until you get used to how they work and sound.

hope this helps

--------------------
.....just shuckin' and jivin' with my extremely large penis!

Offlinezigzag
Eating Wolf Pussy

Loc: The Mortuary Flag
Re: No pressure in PC [Re: zigzag]
    #11998182 - 02/09/10 10:01 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

something i just thought of.  try and start the pc without the lid on.  bring the water to a boil.  once you are sure you can boil water with your skillet, put the lid on and follow the steps.  if it can boil your water then your pc should work.

--------------------
.....just shuckin' and jivin' with my extremely large penis!

Offlinemurrtheblur
Chillin Chillin
Male

Loc: the stix
Re: No pressure in PC [Re: zigzag]
    #11998250 - 02/09/10 10:13 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Sounds to me like your not giving it time when i pc my stove is on for almost three hours, i have a 23 qt presto thou so it may to a little less time to come to pressure, but if minutes is definity not enough time imo. If your talking about using a hot plate just turn that sucker all the way up and let it roll. My stove element has to get orange to get my pc up to pressure. then i can turn it down some and let it giggle at 15 psi.
well give you pc more time if it isnt rocking within an hour and a half then something might be broken, and turn up the stove.
GL:grin:
~blur~

Offlinemcmanusj84
Stranger
Re: No pressure in PC [Re: murrtheblur]
    #11998297 - 02/09/10 10:23 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I'll be PCing 8 1/2pints tomorrow night for my second attempt, it looks like my first attempt was sterilized but a contam got in during inoculation as the innoc sites are white with very small hints of pink/purple/red

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Hot Plate, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation