Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGunther
Stranger
Concerned
    #1198482 - 01/07/03 04:05 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Basically I'm concerned about my heating method. Now I'm pretty sure heat pads are the most dangerous, and yet people still use them successfully. Well I'm thinking about getting a reptile pad. Problem is theres no way to really control the heat this way. So in the mean time I am using a corded lamp. My mycobags are sitting in a plastic box inside a cardboard box. Inside the plastic box I've placed a little perlite in a little water. Humidity is 50, watever that means and Temp is 82 - 86ish. Can anyone tell me about the dangers of leaving a corded lamp in a cardboard box? Can something melt inside the lamp or something? I really don't want to leave the house with it on unless I know the worst that could happen would be a busted bulb. It's been on for like 4 hours now and nothing seems terribly too hot or wrong. I will leave it on all night til I go to work...Suggestions comments, insults, threats?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineupupup
guardian

Loc: George "I love Hitler" Bu...
Re: Concerned [Re: Gunther]
    #1198491 - 01/07/03 04:09 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Some have found the most even, stealthy heating to come from one of those heaters that look like an old radiotor heater in a very closed spot. They heat evenly and are pretty small.....

--------------------
Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have.

Offlineodinssun
letmehearthemusic

Loc: Canada
    #1198492 - 01/07/03 04:09 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Does this really need a reply?

--------------------
This is all a work of fiction everything I type is fiction. I in no way have made any true statements
this is all a work of my mind

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

Loc: SItting on the Group W Be...
    #1198497 - 01/07/03 04:09 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Sure, you could burn down your house. That would suck.

Quote:

Inside the plastic box I've placed a little perlite in a little water. Humidity is 50, watever that means and Temp is 82 - 86ish.

Why do you have water and perlite if you are colonizing your mycobag? This serves no purpose whatsoever.

--------------------
"A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind. I do not know which makes a man more conservative-to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past." -John Maynard Keynes

Edited by I_Fart_Blue (01/07/03 04:10 PM)

Offlinechills420
Poo Pie Maker

Re: Concerned [Re: I_Fart_Blue]
    #1198522 - 01/07/03 04:17 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Try setting them on top of the fridge or behind it it's usually pretty warm there just don't smash them if you put them behind it.
The top of the water heater work pretty well to.

--------------------
Teach a man to make cakes he will trip for a night. Teach a man to case he will trip forever

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

Re: Concerned [Re: chills420]
    #1198526 - 01/07/03 04:19 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

But they aren't mine.

--------------------
"A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind. I do not know which makes a man more conservative-to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past." -John Maynard Keynes

OfflineAngry Mycologist
Spontaneouslycombusting

Loc: Galapagos
    #1198534 - 01/07/03 04:23 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

lol.....that Columbine Musical link is great.  :grin: 

--------------------
The proper penalty of ignorance, which is of course that those who don't know should learn from those who do... - Plato

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

Re: Concerned [Re: Angry Mycologist]
    #1198537 - 01/07/03 04:25 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Stay tuned for details....come to think of it I have some updates to do. Check back in a few minutes.

--------------------

OfflineGunther
Stranger
    #1198560 - 01/07/03 04:31 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

yeah well anyway they are MINE. I have perlite in there cause the light which is acting as a heat source dries things out WAY too much. Perlite counter acts this as it would if I were using a heating/reptile pad. SO although I appreciate your responses anybody else have something else to say such as, its a bad idea b/c at certain temps and prolonged use simple corded lamps melt etc etc...

Offlinechills420
Poo Pie Maker

#1198589 - 01/07/03 04:39 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I had a cat knock a lamp over onto some news paper on the table that ended up causing a large amout of damage to my living room and causing smoke damge to the rest of the house.
I'd say plastic could burn if somehow the light touched it or the box you have it in could burn.
Water near a light is also not that good of a idea.

I'd try to find a little safer heater. If you deside to leave it tonight atleast check you smoke alarms to make sure there working.

--------------------
Teach a man to make cakes he will trip for a night. Teach a man to case he will trip forever

OfflineFocusHawaii
Keeper of theMagic Garden

#1198597 - 01/07/03 04:41 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

first off all, light= No no, ur not supposed to give Mycelium light, light is the signal to pin!

Offlineupupup
guardian

Loc: George "I love Hitler" Bu...
Re: Concerned [Re: odinssun]
    #1198631 - 01/07/03 04:52 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

ask yourself that next time you post smarty.......

something like this but I have found them for cheaper than what this paricular one costs....

[image][/image]

--------------------
Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have.

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

#1198647 - 01/07/03 04:55 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Either I am massively confused as to what you are doing, or you are....I believe the latter is the case.

What is drying out? The inside of your myco bad is (or should be) an enclosed environment, and no moisture should be escaping. Furthermore, as it has been stated, your mycobag should not be exposed to light as it can induce pinning. Bottom line...find a better way to incubate your bag. Do a search for incubators, primarily aquiarium heaters. These are safe and effective. You don't have to worry about burning anything down.

--------------------

InvisibleAction_Man
RIP Houser

Re: Concerned [Re: upupup]
    #1198648 - 01/07/03 04:56 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

You can just put the bag in a box. Get a small heater from wal mart for 15 bucks. Stick it in a small closet & your good.

--------------------
Cookin up some fuel for us all. :laugh:

OfflineFocusHawaii
Keeper of theMagic Garden

Re: Concerned [Re: Action_Man]
    #1198714 - 01/07/03 05:18 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I agree with this guy, or just use the traditional method of using a Fish tank heater :wink:

OfflineGunther
Stranger
Re: Concerned [Re: FocusHawaii]
    #1198785 - 01/07/03 05:39 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

oh man sorry guys I guess I wasn't clear enough. If your heat source lighting or heat pad is within a certain proximity of your colonizing cakes then the humidity will be driven down, way down, thus drying out the substrate. I counter act this by putting some perlite in cups with some water. It evens out the humidity to 50 but drinks up thje water in the perlite like crazy. I figured it out or rather after a few hours I found a good post with an answer to my problem. Ropelights baby! oh yeah... They are supposed to be left on for a grip of time and they are made for bad weather aka outside. I use this as a heating pad, my chamber is isolated and light proof. It seems to be working well so far but temps are too high 88-90, so I will place some cardboard on top. Thanks everyone.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder