Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePappaSmurf
Local SuperStar
Stacking Casings
    #1196918 - 01/07/03 07:39 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

My plan once I get my cakes colonized is to use containers with a top(such as gladlock food things) to make a casing so I can stack a bunch of them in a cabinet while they fruit.
Can/will this work? I have a cab dedicated to my shroom grow(old herb grow). 12 inches deep. 24 inches long. 24 inches high. I want to maximize space and yeild and after my first flush add several species of shrooms.

Help?

--------------------
When I was 14 everything went hazy... it's been pot smoke filled memory loss fun since then!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSHR00M0L0GIST
Psilocybin Test Subject
Male

Loc: Mescaland
Re: Stacking Casings [Re: PappaSmurf]
    #1196952 - 01/07/03 07:56 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

You can use glad ovenware. Just make sure you get the deeper ones. You can use the ones with lids to stack them during incubation but not during fruiting. The lids will have to be off during fruiting to give your shrooms space to grow. During incubation you can stack them but try to put two little holes in the lid to let them breathe and try to use something to seperate them a little so the ones on the bottom will be able to breathe.

InvisibleBilge
longtimenoC

Loc: USA
    #1196958 - 01/07/03 07:59 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

with 24 inches of height, you might stack two casings. but you may want some way for them to get light from the top, which will be difficult if they're stacked. also, unless you rig up some kind of automated aeration system, you'll have to un-stack them to fan them. still, i could see maybe 6 small casing containers or two large ones (stacked) fitting into that space.

--------------------
Shopping for your head? Visit HeadShopFinder.com or find Online Head Shops.

OfflinePappaSmurf
Local SuperStar
Re: Stacking Casings [Re: Bilge]
    #1196981 - 01/07/03 08:11 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Cool. Pretty much what I had in mind.
Do they casings need sterilized as much as the jars? or is a good baking of the new verm good along with some iso. alch. sterilization of the bakeware?

I was thinking of making like a shelf or something and having 2 levels of fruiting area in the cab. I can use a small cpu fan for air exchange and a small floro grow lamp to initiate pinning.

--------------------
When I was 14 everything went hazy... it's been pot smoke filled memory loss fun since then!

InvisibleBilge
longtimenoC

Loc: USA
    #1196985 - 01/07/03 08:13 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

no, casings don't need sterilized as much as jars. i use the 50/50+ recipe, add a little more water than called for, put in glass baking dish with foil cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. some people don't heat/sterilize at all.

--------------------
Shopping for your head? Visit HeadShopFinder.com or find Online Head Shops.

OfflineSomeMycologist
some guy
Loc: Mycoland
Re: Stacking Casings [Re: Bilge]
    #1197008 - 01/07/03 08:26 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

ya i never sterlize my casing layer when using stright verm because i belive the myclium is strong enouh to fight contam, but alot of people do sterlize becasue of talk of the green taking over. i too might bake my 50/50 casing to play it safe next round  :smirk:

--------------------
If you cant beat them, join them, then beat them!

Edited by SomeMycologist (01/07/03 08:28 AM)

Offlinesamsonsimson
observer
Loc: Norfolk Va
Re: Stacking Casings [Re: SomeMycologist]
    #1198294 - 01/07/03 04:35 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

r u gonna fruit your casings in a terrarium or a what, If you have some money to put into it you could make your whole closet space into a big terrarium. line the room with plastic, make shelves to stack your casings on, and simply put a humifier in the room and close it off.  Also u need a light fixture to induce pinning. and with that grow room you could produce many pounds of shrooms. you will have problems if you try to fruit them in individual containers. i tried to fruit my first cakes in individual poor man terrariums and they only flushed once and then dried out.  The more you put into your set up the better your crop. plus its more fun. :grin:  Oh yeah if you don't feel like making a giant grow space then you could just get a rubbermaid for 6$ and a humifier for 30$, if you don't wana spend 30 on a humidifier then you can just use perlite for humidity, its lie 3$ or somthing.

--------------------
I don't know what I'll do today, sa-ni-ty never came my way.
You can spend your nickels you can spend your dimes, I lost my mind just a couple of times.

Edited by samsonsimson (01/07/03 04:40 PM)

OfflineTeKn0
†hè
Male User Gallery

Loc: ŵįţĥįń ? ?ŧąţĩ...
    #1198386 - 01/07/03 05:27 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Your gonna want to find a way to get them overtop each other so they recieve light,
maybe make a shelf so you have 2 rows of casings.
I would highly advise you not to stack your casings, it killed mine when I tried.
I would recommend you play it safe, make a second shelf and not stack.

--------------------
Listen, or your tongue will keep you deaf. :wink:
ŦēҜй? - ??ĜįĈ?? ҒűČҝĮńĜ ?đVǻŃčЄмЄńŦ

OfflinePappaSmurf
Local SuperStar
Re: Stacking Casings [Re: TeKn0]
    #1199034 - 01/07/03 09:31 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

That will totally work. Make a shelf and put a floro on the ceiling and one under the shelf....
Hell yeah... now I just need to get some jars, spores from TLG, brf, verm, perlite and make a glovebox....
Then spread the spore prints!

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation