Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10  [ show all ]
InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
Re: Plant Consciousness [Re: Amber_Glow]
    #11771433 - 01/05/10 05:05 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Amber_Glow said:
Quote:

Poid said:
Thought and contemplation are produced by consciousness...:wtf:

That's interesting.  Care to expand on what you mean here, and why you might think such a thing?

How could one think or contemplate if they aren't conscious? :dudewtf:

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Edited by Poid (01/05/10 06:13 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAmber_Glow
Sat Chit Anand

Re: Plant Consciousness [Re: Poid]
    #11771822 - 01/05/10 05:58 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

You probably have to be conscious to contemplate, or at least to be aware of the contemplation.  But why would you think consciousness produces the contemplation? 

From your posts I would have thought you felt the brain produced both of them.  :picard:

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Plant Consciousness [Re: Amber_Glow]
    #11771928 - 01/05/10 06:13 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Amber_Glow said:
You probably have to be conscious to contemplate, or at least to be aware of the contemplation.

From Consciousness - Wikipedia:
Quote:

Consciousness is subjective experience or awareness or wakefulness or the executive control system of the mind.

Well duh because consciousness = awareness.

Quote:

Amber_Glow said:
But why would you think consciousness produces the contemplation?

The brain produces consciousness, and consciousness produces all of our mental functions, so yeah...

Quote:

Amber_Glow said:
From your posts I would have thought you felt the brain produced both of them.  :picard:

It does, but it produces contemplation more indirectly than it produces consciousness.

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Offlineskullhuman
the skullman cometh
Male User Gallery

Re: Plant Consciousness [Re: Poid]
    #11779623 - 01/06/10 08:21 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Diploid said:
But the plant isn't perceiving. It's just a cascade of chemical reactions that do the same thing every time, just like my iPod always plays when I press the button and my bike tire goes around every time I push the pedal.

Why does this thread keep going backwards? test this.  Go pick up a Venus Fly Trap and see if this holds true.  Sometimes they respond, sometimes they don't.  If this weren't the case I wouldn't have now twice posted a video of it being demonstrated.  Grow out some identical clones in the exact same conditions.  See if they turn out the same way.

The problem that likely leads to (or is caused by?) this kind of thinking is probably statistical averaging of whole plant populations that overlook individual behaviour.  Thus, it's really just assumption that physiological responses are identical right across the board.  The reality is, they're far from it, and they happen to vary right down to the level of individual cells (read this: http://aob.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/92/1/1#SEC6), implying exactly what you're arguing against:

Quote:

Diploid said:
Although their (cats' and humans') behavior follows predictable patterns, they are ultimately unpredictable entities. This is a result of their consciousness contemplating their situation. Contemplation, by definition, has varying results.

This is unlike the plant that can't contemplate the light and decide to turn away today just because if feels like it. The plant is a row of dominoes without consciousness or volition. It will turn to the light and slowly burn to death if something doesn't interfere. It's unable to contemplate and make a conscious decision to do something different.

No it won't.  There are many examples of plants responding to light changes.  In some situations a plant may obviously be disadvantaged by not having any available shade towards which it can grow, but hey - circumstances can be rough on all of us.  Just because something in a particular situation doesn't have the means to overcome a challenge isn't proof it's unconscious.  If that were the criteria for determining consciousness, nothing would have it.  Fact is, they WILL give it their best shot to compensate for conditions.  Check it out:

Quote:

The stilt palm (Allen, 1977) is constructed from a stem raised on prop roots. When competitive neighbours approach, avoidance action is taken by moving the whole plant back into full sunlight. Such obvious ‘walking’ is accomplished by growing new prop roots in the direction of movement while those behind die off. That this is intentional behaviour is very clear. Other equally dramatic light-foraging mechanisms are to be found in tropical climbers, particularly Syngonium. On reaching the top of a tree, the growing point descends, progressively changing its morphology and leaf structure, and eventually assuming a very thin filiform shape with only scale leaves on the soil. Using skototropism (movement towards darkness), the filiform stem explores, locates and recognizes a new trunk and reverses the growth pattern. As it climbs, the internode becomes progressively thicker and leaves progressively redevelop to full size (Strong and Ray, 1975; Ray, 1987, 1992). This behaviour is analogous to animals that climb trees to forage, intelligently descend when food is exhausted or competition severe, and then climb the next tree.

There are many, many more examples like this in the paper I took this from, which is linked above.  Let's all have a good look at it if we're serious about this.

--------------------

InvisibleSlashOZ
:D
Male

Loc: Following the water cycle
Re: Plant Consciousness [Re: skullhuman]
    #11781174 - 01/07/10 01:09 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

skullhuman said:
Quote:

Diploid said:
But the plant isn't perceiving. It's just a cascade of chemical reactions that do the same thing every time, just like my iPod always plays when I press the button and my bike tire goes around every time I push the pedal.

Why does this thread keep going backwards? test this.  Go pick up a Venus Fly Trap and see if this holds true.  Sometimes they respond, sometimes they don't.  If this weren't the case I wouldn't have now twice posted a video of it being demonstrated.  Grow out some identical clones in the exact same conditions.  See if they turn out the same way.

The problem that likely leads to (or is caused by?) this kind of thinking is probably statistical averaging of whole plant populations that overlook individual behaviour.  Thus, it's really just assumption that physiological responses are identical right across the board.  The reality is, they're far from it, and they happen to vary right down to the level of individual cells (read this: http://aob.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/92/1/1#SEC6), implying exactly what you're arguing against:

Quote:

Diploid said:
Although their (cats' and humans') behavior follows predictable patterns, they are ultimately unpredictable entities. This is a result of their consciousness contemplating their situation. Contemplation, by definition, has varying results.

This is unlike the plant that can't contemplate the light and decide to turn away today just because if feels like it. The plant is a row of dominoes without consciousness or volition. It will turn to the light and slowly burn to death if something doesn't interfere. It's unable to contemplate and make a conscious decision to do something different.

No it won't.  There are many examples of plants responding to light changes.  In some situations a plant may obviously be disadvantaged by not having any available shade towards which it can grow, but hey - circumstances can be rough on all of us.  Just because something in a particular situation doesn't have the means to overcome a challenge isn't proof it's unconscious.  If that were the criteria for determining consciousness, nothing would have it.  Fact is, they WILL give it their best shot to compensate for conditions.  Check it out:

Quote:

The stilt palm (Allen, 1977) is constructed from a stem raised on prop roots. When competitive neighbours approach, avoidance action is taken by moving the whole plant back into full sunlight. Such obvious ‘walking’ is accomplished by growing new prop roots in the direction of movement while those behind die off. That this is intentional behaviour is very clear. Other equally dramatic light-foraging mechanisms are to be found in tropical climbers, particularly Syngonium. On reaching the top of a tree, the growing point descends, progressively changing its morphology and leaf structure, and eventually assuming a very thin filiform shape with only scale leaves on the soil. Using skototropism (movement towards darkness), the filiform stem explores, locates and recognizes a new trunk and reverses the growth pattern. As it climbs, the internode becomes progressively thicker and leaves progressively redevelop to full size (Strong and Ray, 1975; Ray, 1987, 1992). This behaviour is analogous to animals that climb trees to forage, intelligently descend when food is exhausted or competition severe, and then climb the next tree.

There are many, many more examples like this in the paper I took this from, which is linked above.  Let's all have a good look at it if we're serious about this.

QFT

If it is alive then it is conscious. All life responds to stimuli in a unique way, ie survival of the fittest, and all life has a will to live.

--------------------
"Life sucks but in this really beautiful way" - Axl Rose
"Life's a bitch and then you die that's why we get high cuz you never know when you're gonna go." - NAS
"When people don't know what you're about they put you down and shut you out" - Black Sabbath
"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" - Gandhi
"Look up at me I am God, look down on me and I am evil, look at me I am you." - Charles Manson.
"Don't question my reality." - Me (as far as I know)

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
    #11782575 - 01/07/10 10:51 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Go pick up a Venus Fly Trap and see if this holds true.

That's not the same thing. A venus flytrap closes via a set of chemical-mechanical linkages. A failure in any part of the chain will prevent the trap from springing. A broken wire in my iPod causing it not to respond to its play button is not evidence that the iPod made a conscious decision not to play.

However, point a lamp at a million venus flytraps, and every single one will turn toward the light. A billion, a trillion, a gazillion and every single one will point toward the light. It will never be the case that one will decide not to because it just doesn't feel like it.

If the plant is making a conscious decision to turn toward the light, at least some of them will decide not to, but this is never observed.

I know of no case where a plant has been observed to do something other than it's biomechanical imperatives. It goes toward the light because that what the arrangement of its atoms do.

Show me a plant that does otherwise, and then you'll have an argument that it's conscious.

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Offlineskullhuman
the skullman cometh
Male User Gallery

Re: Plant Consciousness [Re: Diploid]
    #11801819 - 01/10/10 12:49 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Diploid said:
However, point a lamp at a million venus flytraps, and every single one will turn toward the light. A billion, a trillion, a gazillion and every single one will point toward the light. It will never be the case that one will decide not to because it just doesn't feel like it.

Light is plant food.  What animal goes out of its way to avoid food? Show me a dog who walks in the opposite direction of his food and I’ll show you a dead dog (and probably a Venus Fly Trap in the same situation).  Show me an animal that doesn’t eat and I’ll show you an animal that can’t eat.  And for every one of those, there will surely be a Venus Fly Trap too afflicted to actively pursue light.  I’m not surprised to see that they’re virtually all drawn to a food source.  Just because something shows a preference towards eating doesn't mean it's not aware.  What it means is that it's alive.

You might ask why it would not break from its tendency towards food? as I see it, time scales that plants seem to operate on wouldn't allow that to make much sense.

Quote:

Diploid said:
That's not the same thing. A venus flytrap closes via a set of chemical-mechanical linkages. A failure in any part of the chain will prevent the trap from springing. A broken wire in my iPod causing it not to respond to its play button is not evidence that the iPod made a conscious decision not to play.

That’s not a real analogy.  Your ipod isn’t a plant, it would be downright simplistic to think so.  Hear what I’m saying here.  Variable responses to the exact same signal.  Does your ipod do this? Being that it’s a real observed phenomenon in plant cells, why would it be less likely to play a role in variable trap behavior than a series of broken and repaired "chemical-mechanical linkages" within less than a single hour?  And who taught you that plant physiology is something we’re pumping out on assembly lines?  Plants aren’t at all the mundane chemical-mechanical sequence you have them described as, just adhering to the basic properties of atoms as we apply them in iPods.  They’re a network of living cells.  When has that been replicated in technology?  And when does only a single dysfunctional molecule shut down an entire living system? And even if the thing is just responding by reflex alone, you don’t know that it doesn’t have some awareness that is simply being applied in ways you don’t recognize.  For all you know, they’re innately imaginative beings who pay minimal attention to their physical surroundings.  For all you know, they spend much of their time operating somewhere on the material spectrum that we aren’t even aware of existing.  The image is still unfolding, and there's plenty of room left to wonder you know.

Another thing is that most studies don’t even consider whether plants are conscious, so they’re not reliable for an answer.  Many researchers know plants aren’t conscious before their work has even begun.  However, I’ve offered some studies here that do investigate it seriously, but it seems that some of you would rather argue than read any of it.  Well screw arguing.  There’s a wide range of perspectives out there and an even wider range of possibilities that we should be exploring together, which is what I'd like us to do rather than battle egos.  But if you’re past the need for exploration, at least be patient while the rest of us continue.  And if I’m misinterpreting everybody, I’m sorry, please let me know.

This is my last post to those who would rather argue than read.  I just don’t have the time for it.

--------------------

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
    #11801915 - 01/10/10 01:07 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

This is my last post to those who would rather argue

Light is to plants as

Argument is to philosophical debate.

--------------------

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
    #11802558 - 01/10/10 02:48 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Light is plant food.  What animal goes out of its way to avoid food? Show me a dog who walks in the opposite direction of his food and I’ll show you a dead dog

You've never had a dog, eh? :dog:

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Offlineskullhuman
the skullman cometh
Male User Gallery

#11810166 - 01/11/10 06:27 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

lol, well of course I was being somewhat figurative.

Look at what a hypocrite I am.  Looking back over my posts they sound way more argumentative than yours.  My apologies sir.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #11810281 - 01/11/10 06:41 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Good for you. To notice something and even openly admit to it is a rare quality here. :thumbup:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Re: Plant Consciousness [Re: Icelander]
    #11810404 - 01/11/10 06:56 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I openly admit that I have many rare qualities. :yesnod:

--------------------

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11810450 - 01/11/10 07:01 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Dude...

:facepalm:

Venus fly traps are not proof of consciousness and your dog theories are wrong.

--------------------
L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés et désirs

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Re: Plant Consciousness [Re: Cognitive_Shift]
    #11810473 - 01/11/10 07:03 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

For such plants to travel from Venus to earth is quite a feat!

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Plant Consciousness [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #11810478 - 01/11/10 07:04 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

If women are from Venus, then why does it rhyme with 'penis'? :what:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

Invisibleexplosiveoxygen
Prophet of TGMM

#11810749 - 01/11/10 07:40 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Diploid said:
Go pick up a Venus Fly Trap and see if this holds true.

If the plant is making a conscious decision to turn toward the light, at least some of them will decide not to, but this is never observed.

I know of no case where a plant has been observed to do something other than it's biomechanical imperatives. It goes toward the light because that what the arrangement of its atoms do.

Show me a plant that does otherwise, and then you'll have an argument that it's conscious.

Humans are the same, to say otherwise is to not know enough about their 'biological imperatives'. :tarzan:

--------------------
The Great Mycelium (TGMM) is more than you and me, we are all part of One.

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Plant Consciousness [Re: explosiveoxygen]
    #11810798 - 01/11/10 07:49 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

You think that humans are not conscious?

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

Invisibleexplosiveoxygen
Prophet of TGMM

If the universe is conscious [Re: skullhuman]
    #11947435 - 02/02/10 11:53 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

If the universe gains consciousness from the complex lifeforms and networks within it, then what is not conscious?  :levitate:

--------------------
The Great Mycelium (TGMM) is more than you and me, we are all part of One.

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: If the universe is conscious [Re: explosiveoxygen]
    #11947444 - 02/02/10 11:54 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Big if. :stoned:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

Offlineigwna
The Cap'n
Male

Loc: New England, USA
Re: If the universe is conscious [Re: Poid]
    #11947769 - 02/02/10 01:15 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

youse gonna be ated by plantz

--------------------
I don't believe in cops, bosses, or politicians. Some call that anarchism. I call it having a fucking heart that beats.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order