Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineCryptic
WarpedCndn

Loc: Canada
Re: reasons TO hate corporate america [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #1187857 - 01/03/03 12:44 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

*coughs*
following lyrics are taken from the Song "Boom!" by SOAD
"I've been walking through your streets,
Where all you money's earning,
Where all your biulding's crying,
And clueless neckties working,
Revolving fake lawn houses,
Housing all your fears,
Desensitized by TV,
overbearing advertising,
God of consumerism,
And all your crooked pictures,
Looking good, mirrorism,
Filtering information,
For the public eye,
Designed for profiteering,
Your neighboor, what a guy.

BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM,
Every time you drop the bomb,
You kill the god your child has born.
BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM.

Modern globalization,
Coupled with condemnations,
Unnecessary death,
Matador corporations,
Puppeting your frustrations,
With the blinded flag,
Manufacturing consent
Is the name of the game,
The bottom line is money,
Nobody gives a fuck.
4000 hungry children die per hour,
from starvation,
while billions spent on bombs,
creating death showers."

True enough in my opinion

--------------------
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

While the Trees Grow out of your Skin, Can i plant you so a forest will grow?
"When you want it, it goes away to Fast. Times you hate it always seem to last" - Marilyn Manson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: reasons TO hate corporate america [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #1188890 - 01/03/03 08:01 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

you grasp at anything you can in order to disparage America

I love america. I just don't like the people running it.

shows that you are absolutely possessed by your biases.

I'm biased against killing innocent people yeah. I would hope you are too.

American troops NEVER intentionally killed our allies.

It's about taking care and finding out what you are shooting at before you open fire. If you are gung ho you don't tend to do this.

mistakes happen

Just seems the american fighting forces tend to make an awful lot of "mistakes". I knew a guy who went over there and he was saying the brits were more terrified of being killed by the americans than they ever were of the Iraqi's.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineCrowHeart
No one

Loc: Cast?lo da Maia, Maia, Po...
    #1189149 - 01/04/03 01:05 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Agreed. The thing that pisses me is the hipocrisy of the u.s. government...

"War on terrorism"... indeed

--------------------
What the hell am I supposed to write here???

OfflineCrowHeart
No one

Re: reasons TO hate corporate america [Re: Innvertigo]
    #1189154 - 01/04/03 01:08 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

in morocco they also drink tea, probably the same.

I wasn't carrying an M-16/M203, but i was well treated anyway, the thing that bothers me about the middle-east is that everyone has their minds made, for the majority of the western world muslim equals terrorist...

--------------------

OfflineCrowHeart
No one

#1189157 - 01/04/03 01:10 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Of course accidents happen, but they souldn't. Even more so when the u.s. prides itself on having the best equipment, fail-proof equipment...

--------------------

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: reasons TO hate corporate america [Re: Xlea321]
    #1189181 - 01/04/03 01:38 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

American troops NEVER intentionally killed our allies.

It's about taking care and finding out what you are shooting at before you open fire. If you are gung ho you don't tend to do this.

When a huge military operation is undertaken, mistakes will happen. It
is tragic, but it is also inevitable.

Anonymous

#1190357 - 01/04/03 01:08 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

If only you'd treated your allies the same. The americans killed more allied troops than the Iraqi's did. Utterly clueless.

This means we did a damn efficient job liberating Kuwait. Must you twist EVERYTHING to your end?

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
    #1190848 - 01/04/03 05:44 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

who put saddam in power in the first place

the CIA!!!!!!

--------------------

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

#1190849 - 01/04/03 05:44 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

who put saddam in power in the first place

the CIA!!!!!!

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #1190861 - 01/04/03 05:53 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Alex123 writes:

Nah, there really isn't any technological advancements that weren't funded massively by the taxpayer.

Incorrect.

The internet, computers, you name it...

I'll name a few. The steam engine, gasoline engine, diesel engine, Wankel engine, alternating current, electrical generators, batteries, aniline dyes, synthetic fibers, lasers, radio, television, telesopes, microscopes, elevators, power looms, the discovery of the germ theory of disease, artificial hearts, the pacemaker, the lightbulb, the telephone, the record player, the floppy disk drive, velcro, the zipper, video games, the Walkman, the cell phone, peanut butter, the discovery of insulin... all occurred with no tax money being spent.

As for the internet, the government provided some money for the first arpanet. No tax dollars went into the development of the protocol that makes the modern internet possible, nor into the hundreds of billions of dollars of cables, routers, hubs and servers that comprise the internet.

Government funding of computers ended with Univac, or maybe even with Eniac.

Instead of putting patents on it and earning the money back the rights were pissed away to private corporations to rake in the profits.

Incorrect again. Inventions are patented by governments.

pinky

--------------------

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: reasons TO hate corporate america [Re: Phred]
    #1191135 - 01/04/03 08:00 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I'll name a few

Tell me something pink. Why do you think enormous advances are made in technology every time there's a war? Do you think private corporations increase investment in research and development during wars? Or do you think the driver is the government being able to spray around massive amounts of money to private corporations in the name of "defence"?

btw, are you as sure that none of the developments you mention had no public money as you were that mcdonalds hadn't? Lasers have never had any public money invested in their research and development? Handed over to hi-tech corporations as part of the "defence" budget? Are you positive pink?

Inventions are patented by governments

Do you think if Bill Gates had been involved in the development of the internet to the extent the government was he would have been so lax in getting a cut of the profits? Think about it.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1191144 - 01/04/03 08:03 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Here's the first laser company i found on the net. Must be the odd one out cos this one recieves government funding for R & D. Wonder how many we could find if we looked pink?

In 1985, Gemfire's predecessor, Deacon Research, was founded by Dave Deacon and Olive Lee. During its 12-year history, Deacon grew to over 30 employees, successfully completed dozens of government-funded and privately-funded programs, and pursued an aggressive intellectual property strategy that resulted in 23 issued patents and 29 patents pending.

In 1995, Deacon Research spun out a separate company to pursue its flat-panel display technology. This company, called Gemfire, received seed funding from two premier venture capital firms, and demonstrated the fundamental physics of a revolutionary new display. Gemfire recombined with Deacon Research in mid-1997, and continues to work on government-supported research while developing new integrated optics technologies.

http://www.mdatechnology.net/techsearch.asp?articleid=432

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#1192107 - 01/05/03 08:22 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Alex123 writes:

Why do you think enormous advances are made in technology every time there's a war? Do you think private corporations increase investment in research and development during wars?

In times of war, there is naturally incentive for some companies to focus on war-related technology, because the possibility of selling that technology immediately (even if it is still in the developmental stage) is much greater. It is also much easier to receive government funding for research and development.

That doesn't mean that "there really isn't any technological advancements that weren't funded massively by the taxpayer," it just means that some technological advancements that appear to have potential applications in weaponry or intelligence gathering may end up receiving tax dollars.

Lasers have never had any public money invested in their research and development? Handed over to hi-tech corporations as part of the "defence" budget? Are you positive pink?

Lasers were invented with no tax dollars being spent. Look, YOU are the one who claimed (to Evolving) that the initial discovery of a technology was what mattered. YOU are the one who claimed (incorrectly) that the majority of money spent on a technology was during its discovery and early stages. Have governments spent money on laser technology? Of course they have. Have they spent more than the sum total of all private researchers and developers all over the world have spent to date? Of course they haven't.

Do you think if Bill Gates had been involved in the development of the internet to the extent the government was he would have been so lax in getting a cut of the profits? Think about it.

Unexpired patents held by governments on products still being used today are still receiving royalties today. You seem not to understand how patent and copyright law works. One cannot patent an IDEA, only a specific invention.

pinky

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #1192114 - 01/05/03 08:25 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

****the CIA!!!!!!*****

Are you wearing your tin-foil hat again?

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#1192141 - 01/05/03 08:40 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Alex123 cuts and pastes:

"In 1985, Gemfire's predecessor, Deacon Research, was founded by Dave Deacon and Olive Lee. During its 12-year history, Deacon grew to over 30 employees, successfully completed dozens of government-funded and privately-funded programs..."

Gemfire didn't invent the laser in 1985, Alex. No taxpayer money went into the discovery of lasers. For the first few years it was a laboratory curiosity, with most of its eventual applications still unconsidered. Did government research take place in the area of using lasers as weapons or communications tools once the basic development of the laser had reached a point where such applications seemed feasible? Certainly. Did government research take place in the area of using manned heavier-than-air flying vehicles as weapons platforms? Yes, but no government money went into the invention of the airplane -- that was strictly the province of such visionaries of the Wright brothers and contemporaries of theirs working as private citizens with private funds. Did government research take place into the possible use of LSD as a debriefing tool for interrogators? Yes, but no government money went into its discovery... Albert Hofmann working as a research company (Sandoz) chemist discovered it.

Your claim was "there really isn't any technological advancements that weren't funded massively by the taxpayer." This is incorrect. Some refinements of some advancements involved some tax dollars, true. Before there can be a refinement of a new technology, there must first be a new technology to refine.

pinky

--------------------

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1193762 - 01/05/03 06:19 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Lasers were invented with no tax dollars being spent

Are you quite positive that in going from theory to working production the laser had no taxdollar input? Absolutely sure? As sure as you were about mcdonalds? Oh pink, this is getting monotonous...

In times of war, there is naturally incentive for some companies to focus on war-related technology

Because the government funds them? Do you include the cold war and the "war against terror" in this?

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1193820 - 01/05/03 06:39 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Have governments spent money on laser technology? Of course they have. Have they spent more than the sum total of all private researchers and developers all over the world have spent to date? Of course they haven't.

Sources please.

The star wars budget - which included laser research - was pretty big you know.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

#1193973 - 01/05/03 07:35 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Invertigo how does it feel to be an american with "no fucking cluie what his government is up to half the time and the way its screwing him and the rest of the american people and the rest of the world"

read Invertigo READ do a little research if I am so wrong(as long as you dont have AOL) and if you wanna talk shit about tin foil hats ask me where I read my material first

1963-CIA recruits Iraqi Baath Party (including a young Saddam Hussein) to assasinate the new leader, Abdul-Karim Kassem. After the coup, the CIA gave the Baath a long list of communists and others to liquidate. During the 1980s the CIA would go on to help provide weapons to both Iraq and Iran in a war that would kill over one million people.

did you quick CNN - style attetion waver here
1963-CIA recruits Iraqi Baath Party (including a young Saddam Hussein) to assasinate the new leader, Abdul-Karim Kassem. After the coup, the CIA gave the Baath a long list of communists and others to liquidate. During the 1980s the CIA would go on to help provide weapons to both Iraq and Iran in a war that would kill over one million people.
get it??????????????????????????????

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #1194277 - 01/05/03 11:17 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

* reply button (learn it)

****Invertigo how does it feel to be an american with "no fucking cluie what his government is up to half the time and the way its screwing him and the rest of the american people and the rest of the world" *****

ha ha.....loosen up the tin foil hat my man....the black helicopters are circling. (all you nutbags blame it on the CIA)

****After the coup, the CIA gave the Baath a long list of communists and others to liquidate****

Liquidate? ha

*****During the 1980s the CIA would go on to help provide weapons to both Iraq and Iran in a war that would kill over one million people.*****

a million muslim radicals?, i don't see a problem here....

****did you quick CNN - style attetion waver here ****

I speak english, try using it....

****get it?????????????????????????????? ****

i missed the part where the CIA put Suddam in charge, apparantly so did you.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#1194480 - 01/06/03 02:16 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Alex123 writes:

Are you quite positive that in going from theory to working production the laser had no taxdollar input?

Yes. The first working lasers were actually MASERS, invented at Bell Labs by Shawlow and Townes in the late Fifties. The first optical laser was patented by Theodore Maiman of Stanford University in 1960. The only difference between the two is the frequency of electromagnetic radiation at which they operate. Masers and Lasers received patents based on working models.

You can spend the next few days if you wish frantically searching Google for the history of the basic research that eventually led to the invention of the laser. Perhaps at some point in time you may come across some snippet somewhere that shows that Bell (a publicly traded corporation) did some business with the US government, or that Stanford University received some tax dollars, and you will twist this to mean that the invention of lasers was "funded by the taxpayers". You will then gleefully dismiss the dozens of other non-taxpayer-funded technological advances I listed as being irrelevant, since you have "proved pinky is a liar".

Because the government funds them? Do you include the cold war and the "war against terror" in this?

Well, Alex, the way things are set up at the moment, the only customers for things like aircraft carriers, nuclear-powered submarines, artillery pieces, tanks, and spy satellites happen to be governments, whether those governments are at war or not. It therefore follows that the only dollars defense contractors receive when they sell their products are taxpayer dollars, just as the dollars the builders of a police station receive are taxpayer dollars and the salaries of policeman are paid with taxpayer dollars. What's your point?

pinky

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order