Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleFuckoff
Strange

Loc: yeah.... RIGHT.
Organic Mushroom compost blend w/ sphagnum, maker swears it's not been spent.
    #11941618 - 02/01/10 11:56 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

i called the company, turns out they are from just down the road from me actually. they get poo from the stockshow in denver every year, and local farms. horse, steer, and chicken poo... mix it with sphagnum (lower PH then other peats) and other ingredients, and as i said, they swear it's never been spent. no mushrooms of any kind have been grown in it, it's a compost designed on the one "mushrooms growers use!" as they say, bagged and brought to lowes. %100 organic.
this with straw and a little gypsum powder in mono tubs would be a good hypothetical grow, right?

VIEW PRODUCT

has anybody heard of or used this? sage advice?

--------------------
:fuckyou:
everything i post is a lie or a smart ass comment. taking me seriously or getting angry is strictly enjoyed by me, but not advised.
and I don't give a damn if you don't like me, cause your not like me, so don't like you
Bloodhound Gang
all that I need-:awesome2:

Edited by Fuckoff (02/01/10 12:18 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejc9134
growerofmagic

Re: Organic Mushroom compost blend w/ sphagnum, maker swears it's not been spent. [Re: Fuckoff]
    #11941756 - 02/01/10 12:22 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

sounds great, i might be interested in trying this too if i run out of hpoo

InvisibleFuckoff
Strange

Re: Organic Mushroom compost blend w/ sphagnum, maker swears it's not been spent. [Re: jc9134]
    #11941806 - 02/01/10 12:31 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

lowes was selling h-poo and steer poo in separate bags for $1.99 each, but this had both and then some. i read anno's rundown once on why you shouldn't use these things, but then, this one's got the sphagnum.

any thoughts?

--------------------
everything i post is a lie or a smart ass comment. taking me seriously or getting angry is strictly enjoyed by me, but not advised.
and I don't give a damn if you don't like me, cause your not like me, so don't like you
Bloodhound Gang

OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE United States Flag
Re: Organic Mushroom compost blend w/ sphagnum, maker swears it's not been spent. [Re: Fuckoff]
    #11941999 - 02/01/10 01:11 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Fuckoff said:
i called the company, turns out they are from just down the road from me actually. they get poo from the stockshow in denver every year, and local farms. horse, steer, and chicken poo... mix it with sphagnum (lower PH then other peats) and other ingredients, and as i said, they swear it's never been spent. no mushrooms of any kind have been grown in it, it's a compost designed on the one "mushrooms growers use!" as they say, bagged and brought to lowes. %100 organic.
this with straw and a little gypsum powder in mono tubs would be a good hypothetical grow, right?

VIEW PRODUCT

has anybody heard of or used this? sage advice?

Any sort of commercial "mushroom compost" you can pick up at a local gardening store is made with spent mushroom substrate. That stuff is definitely geared more for a vegetable garden. It'll probably work, but you might not get the yields you would with straight manure/vermiculite/coffee. Also, peat moss has very little nutrition - it's why it's used as the material of choice in casing layers.

As far as using steer manure.. cow manure will work, but horse manure is far, far superior as a substrate for growing mushrooms. Cows have multi-chambered guts and their manure forms cow pies - P. Cubensis grows well on them because they're thick enough that the mycelium won't dry out and die in the summer sun. Horse manure comes in nuggets and is much, much easier to mix with other additives and break up. The texture is less dense and the mycelium rips right through it.

Offlinefungus_tao
Hah Zah!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Organic Mushroom compost blend w/ sphagnum, maker swears it's not been spent. [Re: Brennus]
    #11942082 - 02/01/10 01:34 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

A blend of composts made from horse and poultry manures, wheat straw, cottonseed hulls, forest products and sphagnum peat. It's one of the basic formulas used by mushroom growers. What separates us from the competition is that no mushrooms were grown in our product, so all the micronutrients, trace elements and other conditioning agents are still available to your plants. Nothing has been used up from the growing of mushrooms. Don't worry about funguses, high salts from nitrogen residues, or other growths being in Permagreen Mushroom Blend. It's clean!

I want to try it.

--------------------
Follow the light
The Light is your guide.

OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE United States Flag
Re: Organic Mushroom compost blend w/ sphagnum, maker swears it's not been spent. [Re: fungus_tao]
    #11942109 - 02/01/10 01:42 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

fungus_tao said:
Quote:

A blend of composts made from horse and poultry manures, wheat straw, cottonseed hulls, forest products and sphagnum peat. It's one of the basic formulas used by mushroom growers. What separates us from the competition is that no mushrooms were grown in our product, so all the micronutrients, trace elements and other conditioning agents are still available to your plants. Nothing has been used up from the growing of mushrooms. Don't worry about funguses, high salts from nitrogen residues, or other growths being in Permagreen Mushroom Blend. It's clean!

I want to try it.

Guess I was wrong. :shrug:

Spent compost isn't really deprived of nutrients for plants - fungi break down organic material so plants can actually absorb the nutrients. That's a weird claim to want to make.

I would be interested in seeing results grown on this stuff.

InvisibleFuckoff
Strange

Re: Organic Mushroom compost blend w/ sphagnum, maker swears it's not been spent. [Re: Brennus]
    #11942406 - 02/01/10 02:34 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

you're great. first advice, then admitting you're wrong without fight or prompt when needed. you're a good poster unlike myself. (shrug) :cool:

i will keep the community posted.

--------------------
Bloodhound Gang

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #11943144 - 02/01/10 04:34 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

It's one of the basic formulas used by mushroom growers. What separates us from the competition is that no mushrooms were grown in our product, so all the micronutrients, trace elements and other conditioning agents are still available to your plants. Nothing has been used up from the growing of mushrooms.

That quote was taken from your link.  It proves they're 100% full of shit.  The mushrooms don't 'use up' nutrients needed by plants, they break them down so they become available for the plants.  Plants have no direct use whatsoever for manure.  The manure must first be broken down by bacteria and fungi before the plants can use it.  I'd avoid that product.  If you have any doubt, sterilize some manure and then try to grow plants on it.

Go to a horse ranch and offer to clean up their pasture.  You'll get all the field aged manure you could ever want.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinefungus_tao
Hah Zah!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Organic Mushroom compost blend w/ sphagnum, maker swears it's not been spent. [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #11943276 - 02/01/10 04:53 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

That's true. It's probably a horrible product for plants. If it's already adjusted to field capacity and pasteurized/sterile I'd try it out assuming it's economical enough that I wouldn't just be spending the same amount on sub as I could on mushrooms. It could be worth it to not to have to round up hay, manure, cotton seed hulls, poultry manure and then pasteurize. Considering the time and energy small scale growers could save it could be worth it to some of us.

--------------------
Follow the light
The Light is your guide.

InvisibleFuckoff
Strange

Re: Organic Mushroom compost blend w/ sphagnum, maker swears it's not been spent. [Re: fungus_tao]
    #11943980 - 02/01/10 06:31 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

i'm trying it either way. i found a few links after searching forever... i repeat, a FEW links that have people saying they're very happy with this product. one man swears by it.HERE i'mma give it a shot and see. IT'S NOT LIKE OTHER COMPOSTS ROGER I PROMISE...oops left the caps lock on. i called them, asking them about using it to grow mushrooms and told them the problem i had with compost, and they said this had none of that. imma try it. :-)

...wait, how is this any different from mixing poo, verm, ect. with straw and gypsum by yourself? from the list of ingredients, it seems pretty balanced. it's soft and loamy and smells faintly of poo.

--------------------
Bloodhound Gang

Edited by Fuckoff (02/01/10 07:25 PM)

Offlinethekrippler55
Stranger
    #19079322 - 11/03/13 08:47 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

This stuff is great have used it on a couple grows now I just mix it with coir and verm with a little bit of gypsum. I spawn wbs to the mix and within usually five days i am ready to case/fruit.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale