Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Internal Dialogue
    #1194060 - 01/05/03 10:25 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I find I analyze things waaaay too much. I don't feel like I can really experience something if I'm crunching all these equations in my head about what the situation means.

example:
Yesterday I was reading a book, and I kept thinking about what it 'meant' to read a book. Like the link between the artist and the reader, and the level of inspiration there, like I'll think to myself about what impact reading this book is having on my brain, and I'll be trying to analyze how much thought went into the story. So I'm not able to actually focus on what I'm reading and actually experience it.

I think when analyzing things becomes negative is when your thinking exceeds your 'experiencing', so your just throwing around words with no real ground under them.

Are there any good tips for shutting this 'internal dialogue' off?

I also want to work on meditation and this is getting in the way of it.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemr crisper

Re: Internal Dialogue [Re: Grav]
    #1194296 - 01/06/03 01:41 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

maybe it was a boring book.
if the book appealed to your mind, you would surely have no problem remaining focused upon it.

there are many ways one can learn to circumnavigate the internal chatter, none of them are fast.

one way, is to concentrate on some form of beauty, be it nature, a symbolic picture, some music. only pay attention to thoughts and info that are connected to the object.
if you don't pay attention to a thought, it will quickly dissolve.

you have to 'tame' your mind or else it will goof off at every opportunity. like taming anything it takes time and perseverance. so don't be too hard on yourself, stop and enjoy the pretty flowers sometimes.

Offlineraja
Stranger

Loc: belgium
    #1194390 - 01/06/03 03:03 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Hello!!!!
A friend of my mom once told me to look at my thoughts if i wanted them to disappear...at first i really didn't understand what she meant by 'looking at my thoughts'...So it drove me crazy and i started thinking even more...Until this onetime when i just looked at it...i didn't look at looking anymore(that is what i was doing before)but i just looked...and when you look at something it just disappears....i don't know if this makes any sense to you...but i hope it does...maybe you can try it...

--------------------
You teach best what you most need to learn.

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
Re: Internal Dialogue [Re: raja]
    #1194406 - 01/06/03 03:10 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

hey, thats a cool technique. Going to experiment with that one, thanks!

PEACE

--------------------
Always Smi2le

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1194816 - 01/06/03 02:14 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

so you mean instead of processing and thinking the thought, simply look at it and >poof?<

I'll have to experiment with that in bed this evening - thx for the tip :smile:

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Re: Internal Dialogue [Re: mr crisper]
    #1194876 - 01/06/03 02:34 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

It was an interesting book.
On one page I'd be envisioning pictures of deserts and whatnot and right into the story and then I'd start 'thinking' again.

It is so tempting to keep thinking my thoughts over and over again. I think if I think them thunkers enough than I'll come up with an answer but all it does usually is make me feel frustrated and out of touch with reality.

It's scarey I guess to just surrender to my surroundings and let whatever new thoughts come as they will. This internal dialogue is like a crack addiction. It's a jumbled mess of garbled equations that have no meaning, and the only purpose they serve is to decieve me. I learn nothing from it.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
    #1194885 - 01/06/03 02:35 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

"It's a jumbled mess of garbled equations that have no meaning, and the only purpose they serve is to decieve me. I learn nothing from it."

hehe woah there! Remember this is your brain doing this lol - there is a meaning, and you will learn something, if only how to get rid of this.

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Re: Internal Dialogue [Re: Strumpling]
    #1194932 - 01/06/03 02:50 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I think I may be experiencing cabin fever (stuck in a tiny room in my grandparents house). heheh. And it doesn't help that ive had a bad history of thinking too much to the point where ive literally felt insane.

damn this 20 degree winter weather and my automobileless ass.

Offlineraja
Stranger

Loc: belgium
Re: Internal Dialogue [Re: Strumpling]
    #1195229 - 01/06/03 04:26 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

so you mean instead of processing and thinking the thought, simply look at it and >poof?<

yep...because when processing and thinking the thought, you give attention to that thought,and then it won't go away...And when you try 'not to think about it',it crawls into your mind ever deeper.....and then you're stuck :frown:....but when you peacefully accept your thoughts and just look at them,they will fade away...
atleast this was my experience....i'm not trying to say this is the right way....
anyway,good luck and please let me know if you had any luck doing it!!!  :smile: 

--------------------
You teach best what you most need to learn.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
    #1195278 - 01/06/03 04:40 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

WOAH! lol the way you just said it, it makes complete sense to me - Its just like when I'm on a psychedelic and a certain thought or image comes to mind - I can either trip out on it, obsess on it, or watch it turn into another thought.

Excellent :smile: I'll be all over this tonight

--------------------

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
    #1195375 - 01/06/03 05:12 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I kept thinking about what it 'meant' to read a book. Like the link between the artist and the reader, and the level of inspiration there, like I'll think to myself about what impact reading this book is having on my brain, and I'll be trying to analyze how much thought went into the story.

I get that way when I'm high. I kinda don't like it, but it makes me see things in-depth, ya know? Just last night I got high with some friends that I don't know too well (friends of friends) and I just kept thinking about so many things and I felt kinda ugly because when I'm high, I usually se a lot of anger in people for some reason. I also take jokes too personally when I'm high.

I don't like weed too much because of this, but one time I was drunk and stoned and puking my guts out and feeling like shit when all of the sudden, I blacked out and saw the trippyest thing; it was this giant sphere of dim light that was formed in so many complex shapes that it took on a texture of a giant city, but it was so mammoth and awesome. I guess it's hard to put into words, but it felt like the one mega city of souls in some hevenly dimension that crossed over into all the rest.

Sorry for rambling.  :cool:

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
    #1195376 - 01/06/03 05:12 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Double post.  :blush:

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

Edited by Murex (01/06/03 05:35 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology