Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleChowder963
954-867-5309
 User Gallery

The effect of a psychedelic experience on religion.
    #11938815 - 02/01/10 12:23 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Drugs have completely changed my view on life and religion, i hate to say it because it sounds mean, but i strongly dislike religious people. im sorry, if i get flamed for that idk but this doesnt seem like a religious community. I simply cannot get close to some who believes all that fairytail crap.

Im not even going to get started once you get me started on this topic i go on forever lol.. But ide like to know if anyone else is the same?

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinelmfsmoke
Stranger

Loc: SoCal, LA
Re: The effect of a psychedelic experience on religion. [Re: Chowder963]
    #11938872 - 02/01/10 12:36 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I try to relate to as many people as i can, but most of the time religious people arent deep enough, they stop their mind from new perspectives.. so yeah i pretty  much know what your talking about.

--------------------
Genesis 1:29 - Then God said, "Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the surface of all the earth, and every tree which has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you"

OfflinePatisotagami
Organism
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere Flag
    #11939075 - 02/01/10 01:11 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

once, I told a friend more or less the same thing. here's what she told me:

if you are walking home one day, and you see a drunk man stumbling about in front of you on the same path that you were going to walk on, that doesn't mean that you should not still take that path.

it make sense--there is a grave danger in associating more than one person in a group and making a judgement on that group. In doing so, you remove individuality and thus make the same mistake that you accuse religious people to have done.

i understand where you are coming from but try to look at it from a different perspective. drugs really help with that. as long as someone isn't hurting you with their religion, it shouldn't offend you. we're all just trying to figure out what the hell we are doing here.

--------------------
EVERYTHING IS EVERYTHING

OfflineEyelessVagabond
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bellona
Re: The effect of a psychedelic experience on religion. [Re: lmfsmoke]
    #11939166 - 02/01/10 01:22 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I agree too.  Gave up on religion after my first trip: not sure if it was 'cause I finally admitted to myself that I didn't believe or the experience itself but after my first trip I could comfortably admit not believing in religion.

Side story is yesterday I got in an argument with a religious type.  Forget how it came up but I said something along the lines of "I believe in myself not God," after which I was called an arrogant ass hole.  I responded with "sorry that I don't find myself so special that a super-natural all powerful mystical being is watching over me and granting me super-powers".  I don't think he liked that response either.

Edit: Nothing against religious folks but I find it very frustrating when discussing things with others and their answer is God or when people tell me I'm a sinner, scoff when I say I don't believe in God etc.

--------------------
Do what you will, this world's a fiction
And is made up of contradiction
-William Blake

Edited by EyelessVagabond (02/01/10 01:25 AM)

InvisibleChowder963
954-867-5309
 User Gallery

Re: The effect of a psychedelic experience on religion. [Re: EyelessVagabond]
    #11939276 - 02/01/10 01:37 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I know what you mean, and i dont "hate" them, but i get strongly aggravated by their thinking, i mean i just dont understand how you can never wonder what really happens, ever, and just believe that. Im honestly leaning towards the lines of nothing happens... not 100 percent, because i believe the closest you can get to religion is your opinionated guess. but i think maybe like when your not in REM sleep and your just there not dreaming or anything just sleeping, maybe that, like your just gone, you dont have a brain so you dont know.

I also believe that since your body is just kept alive by energy, i believe that your energy could just go to something else after there is no energy left. like a tree, or anything in the universe, etc.

NOTE i was extremely religious all the way up to age 16 or so, and im only 18 now. i went to ccd, got confirmation, all that.

Edited by Chowder963 (02/01/10 01:40 AM)

OfflineILoveThomYorke
Oh Audrey!
 User Gallery

#11939451 - 02/01/10 02:06 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Could you get close to a pantheist? Is it just the judaeo-christian anthropological father-figure-thing you've got a problem with? Or all faiths?

--------------------
I M A B I R T H D A Y C A N D L E I N A C I R C L E O F B L A C K G I R LS

F A L L E N O F F T H E B A C K O F A G I A N T B I R D T H A T S B E E N C A R R Y I N G M E

F I N A L L Y I M F R E E F R O M A L L T H E W E I G H T I V E B E E N C A R R Y I N G

A T T H E B O T T O M O F A G I G A N T I C C R A T E R A N A R M C H A I R C A L L S T O Y O U

InvisibleChowder963
954-867-5309
 User Gallery

Re: The effect of a psychedelic experience on religion. [Re: ILoveThomYorke]
    #11939525 - 02/01/10 02:20 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I just looked up what that is, it seems very confusing lol, im basically for anything out of the norm, that has to do with continued thought over time, or religion that leaves you to decide partially what happens, not telling you how it is and labels you and tell you not to do things. And doesnt make you donate to them lol ha.

Invisibleswimmingfast

#11939592 - 02/01/10 02:32 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I've built my strong opposition to religion long before I dived into psychedelics  :jailbait:

InvisibleChowder963
954-867-5309
 User Gallery

Re: The effect of a psychedelic experience on religion. [Re: swimmingfast]
    #11939672 - 02/01/10 02:46 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I wish i could say that, unfortunately it took me a little boost to figure it wasnt real lol.

OfflineILoveThomYorke
Oh Audrey!
 User Gallery

#11939718 - 02/01/10 03:01 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Chowder963 said:
I just looked up what that is, it seems very confusing lol, im basically for anything out of the norm, that has to do with continued thought over time, or religion that leaves you to decide partially what happens, not telling you how it is and labels you and tell you not to do things. And doesnt make you donate to them lol ha.

You're basically up for anything out of the norm...? Er, WTF? :confused:

So what is 'the norm'? You don't mind any religion or belief system, as long as it isn't one of the major six world religions? What are you, some kind of spiritual hipster? You're happy to ask questions about the nature of life and the universe, but if the answer you get is too common you'd reject it? I really don't understand where you're coming from and couldn't possibly without clarification.

It sounds to me as though the direction you're coming from is actually quite ordinary; anti-monotheistic sentiment based on post-teenage reactions to Christianity as the dominant religion of the culture you were born into. Nothing out of the norm about that!

--------------------

F A L L E N O F F T H E B A C K O F A G I A N T B I R D T H A T S B E E N C A R R Y I N G M E

F I N A L L Y I M F R E E F R O M A L L T H E W E I G H T I V E B E E N C A R R Y I N G

A T T H E B O T T O M O F A G I G A N T I C C R A T E R A N A R M C H A I R C A L L S T O Y O U

InvisibleChowder963
954-867-5309
 User Gallery

#11939746 - 02/01/10 03:06 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Lol maybe your right ha, i dont really know im basically just saying anythings possible know one knows best is a guess. any comitted thing i dont believe in.

OfflineILoveThomYorke
Oh Audrey!
 User Gallery

#11939767 - 02/01/10 03:12 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I agree with you 100%. No one knows best, no one knows whats out there, no one knows whats going down. So someone elses fairy tale is just as valid a belief system as my own... even if theres does sound fucking mental.

--------------------

InvisibleChowder963
954-867-5309
 User Gallery

#11939789 - 02/01/10 03:17 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

yeah i guess your right lol i never thought of it that way where its just as good as my opinion. thanks lol :smile:

OfflineLizardman
Reptilian Space Pope
Male

Loc: Downriver from Sandoz
    #11940526 - 02/01/10 09:14 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I give this thread 2 more pages at best until it devolves into an all-out flamewar.

OfflineSaowen6
VP of noobs
Male

Loc: USA Flag
Re: The effect of a psychedelic experience on religion. [Re: Lizardman]
    #11940594 - 02/01/10 09:46 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I know where the OP is coming from. For me, it all started with the southern Baptist church and going every Sunday. I sensed something was wrong when i was supposed to public ally say that i was saved. Why should i do this? If people say that "its between you and god" then why should i care if you know that i am saved. At that time, i was saved, in my mind and that's all that mattered to me at that moment. This was when i was very young, elementary age.

Then when i started smoking weed, everything changed. Weed allowed me to see that todays society is truly backwards. The southern church system mostly. Here is something that really struck me as funny, from one of my facebook friends, "thinks that it is really sad how a person will let other people define him or her and that the person really has no clue to whom they really are. Frustrating, I know." Now isn't that ironic. This dude's posts are literally all about going to Church and the like. That is fine, to each his own, but :NEWS ALERT: you are living the way someone else is telling you to. Do you know who you really are?? I would love to ask some religious people this very same question.

Now for what i believe. I am a marine biology major so the theroy of evolution is the only thing that seems to work. But i do beleive that there is truly some higher power that had a hand in this. Whether this be a supernatural power or a strong natural power that we can not fathom with our human minds, me leaning towards the latter.  :2cents:

--------------------
I am a totally ficticious person that doesnt even exist...

Invisiblemaerigan
Female

Loc: Flag
Re: The effect of a psychedelic experience on religion. [Re: Saowen6]
    #11940650 - 02/01/10 10:07 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I don't think that psychedelics were really the turning point in my turning my back on my parents religious choice for me.
that probably had something more to do with how I was taught that people who practice the craft are evil.
When I met a girl who was a hereditary witch and she was one of the nicest people I think I've ever met and she gave me a book she had just finished reading that kind of gave me a look into her lifestyle.
The fact that my mom saw the book and started condemning me to hell kind of threw me off. I really didn't see anything wrong with trying to learn more about something before I tossed it aside and discredited it as being "an evil practice"

I can't say that psychedelics opened my eyes to having been taught to be pretty close minded about things, but they did help me to decide that instead of grouping all religion into one "bad" category that I would do my best to learn about all religions. Hopefully then, when I'm much older than I am now, I might be able to make a better decision for myself as to which things I will practice and which I won't.

--------------------

OfflinelillFish
Daydreamer
Female User Gallery

Loc: Recliner Flag
Re: The effect of a psychedelic experience on religion. [Re: Saowen6]
    #11940683 - 02/01/10 10:17 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

the OP is not a religious hipster, in his own weird way, he is trying to explain to us that he dislikes any religion that tells a person how to think, as well as telling them how they 'know' we got here.
Personally, I believe the organized religions all orbit around a basic idea, there are different interpretations of it (Denominations) and the sheep just follow in where they fit in. I'm guided by my own common sense and logic. I don't proclaim that I KNOW what's going to happen when we die, I can never know that, but I do have a logical guess.
      My nannie died for a couple minutes in the hospital. She had a stroke a few years back and it caused her to have vascular dementia, although I'm sure that what she told us was pretty accurate. She said, when she died, she felt she was floating, in the air, down a tunnel. She told us that she kept trying to grab the sides for something to hold on to. She said there was a really bright light at the end and she was frightened of it.
    I believe, when she lost consciousness, she entered a dream state. When most people pass out (maybe from the pass-out trick), they dream and they dream in metaphors. When something is happening to your body in your sleep, it somehow incorporates itself into the dream. The brain is a weird thing and I believe the 'tunnel' dream is a common dream that the brain expresses in a persons mind when shutting down.

--------------------
My Wish & Trade list

InvisibleChowder963
954-867-5309
 User Gallery

Re: The effect of a psychedelic experience on religion. [Re: lillFish]
    #11941405 - 02/01/10 01:08 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

thats interesting because ive heard that too, there are alot of things that contribute to near death experiences. i heard that most people claim to see a light, and i heard its from something going on it your eyes thats burning out or dying. And dont you have a DMT trip before you die too? i heard this also. your nanny has got one hell of a cool story up her sleeve lol :grin:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience