Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
Re: So I met this religious fanatic tonight... [Re: Glacius]
    #6185169 - 10/19/06 05:36 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

No, Freudian psychology may have been dominant for 50 years or so, but there are many many schools of psychology in the West. There is also Abhidhamma Buddhist psychology in the East which is quite old and quite insightful. I have considerable training in the Jungian school and if you are interested, the very best Biblical analyses are to be found in Edward Edinger's Ego and Archetype.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGlacius
Lang
 User Gallery

Loc: Western Cordillera(Inverm...
Re: So I met this religious fanatic tonight... [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #6188306 - 10/19/06 10:06 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Ahhhh ,thank you!! Thats cool Im gonna check that out.

--------------------
addicted to reason
a hollow understanding trapped me
I cannot see outside but its calling

OfflineZogby
This is Sussudio
Male

Re: So I met this religious fanatic tonight... [Re: slamdunk]
    #6189506 - 10/20/06 04:55 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

slamdunk said:
I wish I had known something to say that would have boggled his mind

The funniest thing to ask a real hardcore Christian about is Noah's Ark. Be like that must have been one big fucking boat to fit not just one, but two of every animal on the earth. Even if the animals were all babies, you would need different habitats for them. Monkeys need trees and snakes need sand and all that. Then ask them about dinosaurs. It's hilarious the response you will get.

--------------------

"We know where they (Weapons of Mass Destruction) are. They're in the area around Tikrit and Baghdad and east, west, south and north somewhat."

-Donald Rumsfeld

Edited by Zogby (10/20/06 04:59 AM)

Offline550c
Day Tripper
Re: So I met this religious fanatic tonight... [Re: Zogby]
    #6189525 - 10/20/06 05:19 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I met someone like that the other night and she told me that Noah wrote the bible.

OfflineRaiseTheDead
Stranger

Re: So I met this religious fanatic tonight... [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #11931780 - 01/30/10 07:21 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

MarkostheGnostic said:
Jesus was not against religion per se - at least from what one can glean from reading Biblical, Apocryphal and Gnostic literature. The character of Jesus, which differs from source to source still operated within the guidelines of Judaism, but Jesus was a reinterpreter and a reformer who sought to demonstrate the hypocrisy of the religious leaders - their love of status, wealth, political power, not love of Truth (synonym: God). Same deal among rabbis I've met recently - one who put down "navel-gazing" - a perjorative reference to contemplation, inner work. Jesus called such people "whitened sepulchers" - good looking structures on the outside, but tombs nevertheless, filled with "corruption" and decay.

The Bibilcal Gospels has Jesus preaching and sending his friends (disciples) out into the world to spread the "Good News." Just exactly what Jesus actually said (assuming He existed as one distinctive human being and not as a  literary composite) will forever remain unknown. The four canonical gospels were written 60, 70 even 90 years after Jesus was presumably crucified, by men who never knew Him. The picture that the gospels paint of His personality is a very good one however. There is a central motive of Compassion towards all human beings, even one's enemies. Forgiveness is taught, which is to say, the divine quality of 'mercy' [chesed] over 'judgement' [gedulah].

We all walk with God whether we Know it or not. In my moment-to-moment interpersonal contact, I work on being Compassionate above all other motives. That translates down to helping people feel safe, peaceful, accepted and joyful by any and all skillful means: a smile, a hello, by listening, by not returning a hostile look but a joyful one, a word of genuine care or encouragement. Compassion is NOT pity, nor is it giving in to social pressures. I have been asked three times in as many weeks to give money for flowers for someone whose parent has died. I scarcely know the survivors, never met the parents. It is PC to feel guilted into this practice. I have at times been asked to donate to total strangers in this way. I will stay after work (as I did last week on a Friday night for over two hours), and talk with any co-worker who needs to talk, but Compasion is not co-dependency. Compassion can say no to shallow displays of pseudo-concern (Here's $10 for flowers, now leave me alone - I don't want to talk about unpleasantness).

Today yet another co-worker's parent was buried (half a dozen teachers left school and went to the funeral). She is not an acquaintance, but I will offer my condolences. She is Jewish. Can you imagine the Jewish Jesus telling this Jewish woman that her Jewish father is now burning in metaphysical Hell for all eternity? No, I don't either, but this world has its share of sadistic freaks who think it and there are even those who would say it. Some of those people hold poisonous snakes in their churches, some of them burn crosses, some of them post on The Shroomery.

CHRISTIANISM LOLZ  :awebig:  :awebig:  :awebig:  :awebig:  :awebig:  :awebig:  :awebig:  :awebig:  :awebig:  :awebig:  :awebig:  :awebig:  :awebig:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale