Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNo_Life_G33k
Now with 10%less noobness
 User Gallery

What about using a bit of substrate in the agar for strain isolation?
    #11908796 - 01/26/10 10:16 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Is there any advantage or reason to use some of the final substrate in the agar that is used for the initial isolation from multispore????

I'm looking mostly for speed of colonization and then will I'll find a good fruiter from the fastest strains.

For example- If I want a strain that will colonize straw quickly, should I use a small amount of 'straw water' when making the agar??

Or what if I use coffee or coir in the agar water if I want a strain that does well on a coir/coffee substrate.

Any thoughts on using some 'rye water' for the agar, if the isolate will be grown out on grain spawn before transfer to the final substrate??

--------------------
Hot Water Pasteuriztion - A How To Pictorial
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4527808/an/0/page/0

Make your own shroom chocolates
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4500682/an/0/page/5

guide with pix.

Make Your Own Magnetic Stirrer! How-To Tek w/ pix
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5865949/an/0/page/3

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePrimalSoup
hyperspatial illuminations
Other User Gallery

Loc: PNW Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What about using a bit of substrate in the agar for strain isolation? [Re: No_Life_G33k]
    #11909435 - 01/27/10 12:21 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I mix some very fine rye flour into my agar prep - just chopped up some grain in a coffee grinder.  The intention is to increase rhyzomorphic growth.  Whether it does or not I can't say definitively.

Peace
-PS

--------------------

if you stand too close to the machine it'll start to eat you
Primal's simple tested teks and projects: :awesomenod: Wheat Prep 2.0  Acidic Tea Tek  Potency Project! 

Offlinewhitelight7
Sr.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington Flag
Re: What about using a bit of substrate in the agar for strain isolation? [Re: PrimalSoup]
    #11918275 - 01/28/10 02:43 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I have doubts that this would select for rye loving genetics, if anything it would just weed out any genotypes which were "ryephobic" (if that even existed in the batch of spores and I highly doubt this)

--------------------
Staunch supporter of spontaneous generation:cheers:

OfflinePrimalSoup
Other User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What about using a bit of substrate in the agar for strain isolation? [Re: whitelight7]
    #11921376 - 01/28/10 10:56 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Hmm, well it's not necessarily for that, I've read where Stamets says it encourages rhyzomorphic growth.  I'm not trying to select for rye growth, just encourage rhyzomorphic habits, and I don't see how it could hurt anything.  It appears to work but I'd have to run side-by-side tests to be sure.

-PS

Offlinewhitelight7
Sr.
Male User Gallery

Re: What about using a bit of substrate in the agar for strain isolation? [Re: PrimalSoup]
    #11925949 - 01/29/10 06:43 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

well, if you do, post the results.

--------------------

OfflinePrimalSoup
Other User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What about using a bit of substrate in the agar for strain isolation? [Re: whitelight7]
    #11926416 - 01/29/10 08:20 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I will, it seems worth doing.

-PS

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #11926836 - 01/29/10 10:03 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I personally tried this many years ago when the rumor first began circulating that it helps to put the final substrate into the agar, and then again into the grains to 'train' the mycelium to the substrate.  I never saw any benefit to this.

If you want fast colonization, a less nutritious substrate will give that.  That's why straw colonizes so fast, but also why you need so much of it to get a good crop.  I'd be leery of isolating for fastest colonization times.  I still feel the best way is to isolate as many strains as you can and then fruit each one on each substrate you plan to use.

I just received 20 new commercial shiitake strains, and I'm in the process of growing out and fruiting each and every one to see how they perform in the temperature conditions I have available, inside my underground grow room, and again this summer outdoors along my creek.  I'll also be fruiting(or attempting to) each one on soft and hard woods, straw, and sweet pea crop residues, since they're available from local farmers.  I can get organic straw delivered by the tractor trailer load, so I'm hoping to figure out a way to grow shiitake on straw logs.  I figure this will be several hundred substrate blocks by the time I try all 20 strains on each substrate under each growing condition, but that's what it takes.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinewhitelight7
Sr.
Male User Gallery

Re: What about using a bit of substrate in the agar for strain isolation? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #11931637 - 01/30/10 06:57 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

well at least you can make a lot of good tasting mush omelets with the results in the process RR.

--------------------

OfflinePrimalSoup
Other User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What about using a bit of substrate in the agar for strain isolation? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #11952310 - 02/03/10 01:49 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

I personally tried this many years ago when the rumor first began circulating that it helps to put the final substrate into the agar, and then again into the grains to 'train' the mycelium to the substrate.  I never saw any benefit to this.

What switches on rhyzomorphic growth, though?  I've been wondering this recently.  EDIT:  Starting a new thread about that. :smile:

Quote:

I'd be leery of isolating for fastest colonization times.

Understood.

Peace
-PS

--------------------

if you stand too close to the machine it'll start to eat you
Primal's simple tested teks and projects: :awesomenod: Wheat Prep 2.0  Acidic Tea Tek  Potency Project! 

Edited by PrimalSoup (02/03/10 11:12 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck