Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinegdr
researcher
Loc: new york
substrate change-->yield/potency increase
    #1184081 - 01/02/03 03:52 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

if one wished to utilize the same procedures and strains that one had employed with brf/pf tek style colonization and fruiting, but wished to enhance results by changing growth medium only, what growth medium might offer better yield and or potency.

or does brf already offer an optimal nutritional supply?

has anyone had increased yield/potency with any of the following or other supplements?

yeast exract
tryptone peptone
supplemental salts and or posphate complexes
broad amino acid supplements

i'd like to avoid discussion about adding tryptamines or other metabolic intermediates in order to directly increase potency and focus speficifally on nutrients

what advantage do different whole grains offer over simple brf recipes?
thanks in advance for all constructive help.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: substrate change-->yield/potency increase [Re: gdr]
    #1185253 - 01/02/03 11:58 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Adding diversified supplements to the substrate will prevent Substrate specificity of the strains you are growing. Yields can and do increase with supplementation, so do your chances for contamination.

If you have succeded with PF, try some bulk. Just crumble your colonized cakes into some pasteurized manure. Yields will dramatically increase, and the time it takes to get the yields will drastically reduce.

Try different supplements and see what works for you. If you are interested in increased yields GO BULK. Large volume of substrate leads to large yields.

OfflineStarspawn
NotGoodJustLucky
Loc: ShowMeState
    #1185448 - 01/02/03 01:45 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

At RalphstersSpores.com i saw a supplement that claims to boost yield 80 %.There is a co co fiber substrate that must be supplemented because coir is not nutritional enough.I Don't know if anything non nutritional could be supplemented enough but you can check it at RalphstersSpores.com

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: substrate change-->yield/potency increase [Re: Starspawn]
    #1187644 - 01/03/03 10:46 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

millet = thicker, stronger, more robust fruits, bigger yields and much better potency.

--------------------

OfflineNumba9
Veteran tripper
 User Gallery

Loc: State of "Euphoria"
    #1187751 - 01/03/03 11:45 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I agree with Bluemeanie....... Millet rocks !!!!!!! The last PESA Amazonians I harvested off of seed kicked my ASS !!!!!!!!

--------------------
Remember..what the Door Mouse said..."Feed your Head".......... Jefferson Airplane

Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

Loc: Lysergia
Re: substrate change-->yield/potency increase [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #1189462 - 01/04/03 05:13 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Sorry for asking this question which does not directly concern the topic of the thread.

Do you find millet superior to other grains used for substrates? for instance rye?

I've been using rye b/c it's the most easy to get where i live. However in my last trip to my health food store i found a small millet bag that i promptly purchased. Praparation took a bit more labor than rye b/c i had to simmer the grains before PCooking. One test jar was inoculated yesterday with 2cc's pan. cyanescens sporewater. Hope everything goes right.

OfflineSkryllz
Resident lurker
Re: substrate change-->yield/potency increase [Re: esin]
    #1190994 - 01/04/03 07:03 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Millet is just birdseed(well one kind of seed in birdseed, but the rest of the birdseed won't hurt), you can find it many places like pet shops, grocery stores, Wal-mart, etc.

Edited by Skryllz (01/04/03 07:04 PM)

InvisibleUna
controlleddemolition

#1191906 - 01/05/03 06:58 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Rye can be done in bulk :laugh:

It's an easy one step process not as messy as making PF substrate (which really sucks) and yields are larger.

--------------------
www.911blogger.com

Offlineresin
Ghetto Monster
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ca$hville
Re: substrate change-->yield/potency increase [Re: Una]
    #1192386 - 01/05/03 10:43 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I think millet is better than anything. All you do is add the millet and water in a jar and pc, No simmering. It also breaks apart way better than brf cakes and potency increases. It does give strong tasting mushrooms though. Ive read that rye is basically the same potency wise as brf.

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: substrate change-->yield/potency increase [Re: resin] * 1
    #1197365 - 01/07/03 08:59 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

IMHO, don't buy into the potency hype. My experience over years of cultivating and tripping is that potency is way to general for damn near anybody who is going to be posting on these boards to judge accurately. Not to mention how many different variables are at play other than substrate.

Anyway, millet is a great substrate and is extremely easy to prepare. Throw as much of it as you want in a bit pot or tupperware, fill with an excess of water, let sit 24-36 hrs. Strain and pc in jars or bags. Doesn't get much easier than that. I think sixtango has written more specific instructions along these lines if anybody wants to search for it.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Offlinecomario2
amateur

Loc: between places
Re: substrate change-->yield/potency increase [Re: mycofile]
    #1197407 - 01/07/03 09:16 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

mycophile, any ideas on whether preecooking millet (30-40 mns simmering) is absolutely identical in result to simply soaking for 24-36hrs? any relative adv or disadv in these two ways of preparing the millet? :smile: 

--------------------
comario

"crusaders against emotional poverty"

OfflineDilauded
Sensability andrespectability

Loc: Krunkville, FL
Re: substrate change-->yield/potency increase [Re: comario2]
    #1207499 - 01/10/03 03:33 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I've been interested in millet, mostly b/c Verm medium grade isn't of avail. And this talk of it yielding more potency. someone please set the story straight if you simmer or let it soak. I've read teks, but I want to hear from successful experience.

maybe I should look at grow logs,
Dilauded

Edited by Dilauded (01/10/03 05:42 PM)

Offlinecriminulmindid
SoLja

Re: substrate change-->yield/potency increase [Re: Dilauded]
    #1208040 - 01/10/03 07:34 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

my friends had success simmering rye berries for 30 mins straining then pcing. with millet no success simmering. soaking is the way to go. also make sure you get "un-hulled" millet . Correct me if im wrong.

--------------------
dont make me pop a cap!

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: substrate change-->yield/potency increase [Re: comario2]
    #1214284 - 01/13/03 10:02 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I have successfully simmered millet, but it is a little more tricky to simmer than some other grains. Millet tends to burst a little more easily than some other grains such as wheat or milo or rye etc. Therefore I think soaking to be the easiest way to prep. Differences in peoples batch sizes, stoves and cookware prevent a "cook it like this for this long" recipe that works for everyone.

Quote:

relative adv or disadv in these two ways of preparing the millet?

properly soaked millet works identically to properly steeped millet. Advantages are personal preference, want to be ready to pc in 30 minutes, or tommorrow? Want to bother cooking, or just let it sit? It's up to you. IMO, soaking is more difficult to foul up, while simmering may take a little trial and error learning your stove, cookware, grain, batch size specifics.

--------------------

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
Re: substrate change-->yield/potency increase [Re: Una]
    #1214361 - 01/13/03 10:25 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Una, is that a drop of silicone above the filter patch, for innoculation?

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: substrate change-->yield/potency increase [Re: criminulmindid]
    #1214367 - 01/13/03 10:26 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I just get millet. Not sure about it being un-hulled. Basically, I've used millet in every form I've ever seen it, and I don't think I've ever seen it specified as hulled or not. I've used: bags from grocery of organic millet (arrowhead mills I believe is the brand, pricey), bulk millet by the pound at the food co-op, bulk by the pound from the pricey health food store, 50# sack from the co-op, all sizes from wild bird stores, wild bird seed mixes which are mostly millet, and a specialty parakeet blend which was also mostly millet (pricey).

So, If there is a hulled and unhulled millet, I've never run across one that doesn't work. Are there any other sources of millet?

--------------------

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: substrate change-->yield/potency increase [Re: mycofile]
    #1214409 - 01/13/03 10:46 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Millet for human consumption is hulled.

Millet for birds is un-hulled(=with the hull still on)

InvisibleCheeba
the shroomyqueen

Loc: atop my secret mountain
Re: substrate change-->yield/potency increase [Re: Anno]
    #1216604 - 01/14/03 04:44 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

This was the write-up from 6T.... I use this tek...works splendidly!!  :wink:
WBS Tek (Wild Bird Seed) Bulk Spawn Preparation Method.

WBS consists primarily of white millet. It is often a combination of white, red millet & milo, with a small percentage of sunflower seeds and sometimes tiny amounts of crushed corn. Some expensive brands are coated with a fungicide. For use as spawn material, treated WBS is not advisable.

You can find untreated WBS in 5 -10 & 20 pound bags, at low prices at most large chain grocery stores, or chain type pet supply stores. For instance, PetsMart has 40 pound bags for around $9.

Simply place whatever quantity you intend to use in a plastic pot, tub or bucket. Bear in mind, dry seed will expand about 20 to 25% - after it absorbs its capacity of water. Add tap water & soak the seed overnight. A 8 to 12 hour soak is fine. Seed soaked longer will begin to ferment. But, is still usable after soaking 24 to 36 hours.

There is no need to remove any floating husks, or sunflower seeds. These add lignin (a good thing) & do not harbor any more possible contams than does the millet. It is all going to get thoroughly sterilized - anyway.

Once soaked, simply rinse the seed very thoroughly in a colander, or strainer. Then allow it to drain - WELL. As in 30 or more minutes. If it is drips - one drop. It is not drained - WELL.

Load pint or quart jars ? full, apply internal filter disk, material, polyfil or whatever method you use allow gas exchange through a ? or 3/8 inch hole in the lid. Screw lid on tight & back it off ? turn. Place a double layer of paper coffee filters over the lid & jar top, held down by a thick rubber band. Place the jars in the PC.

PC at 15 pounds for a full 60 minutes. 90 minutes is better, if you have the time. Allow the PC pressure to drop to zero & let it cool a bit. Open while still hot & remove jars. The paper coffee filters will dry almost instantly, when the PC is opened. Tighten lids (if necessary), shake jars to insure there are no clumps of seed inside. Place jars inside the oven on a rack, to cool, overnight. External coffee filters simply add another layer of protection to the jars content.

Once cooled to room temperature, store in a clean cardboard box - until used. Using them sooner than later is preferable. Note: This method was done in an All American PC. Some brands with a weighted pressure system require more internal water & it may be advisable to also cover the coffee filters with tin foil while PC'ing, so no excess boiling water gains entry into the jars. Simply remove the tinfoil when you remove the jars from the PC.

--------------------
Carpe Diem <*))))><
Theres one sweet whirld out there!!
Now remember, you are unique! Just like everybody else!

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: substrate change-->yield/potency increase [Re: Anno]
    #1217047 - 01/14/03 06:51 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

wow, you learn something new everyday. Anno, did you ever notice a difference? Anybody else have an opinion? Apparently I used hulled and unhulled millet. Not knowing that I was using different things, I never paid attention to what type I was using when I would have problems.

--------------------

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: substrate change-->yield/potency increase [Re: Cheeba]
    #1217054 - 01/14/03 06:54 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Just want to add to 6ts post that this is a great method for preparing grain for bags. Just increase PC time. for a big pc full of the largest bags they make, 3 or 4 hrs isn't overkill. For just a bag or two of the smaller bags (sporeworks bags with the injector site for example) 1.5 to 2 hrs is sufficient.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale